Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 1,003 Words
  • 4,803 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Mine! - 17. Chapter 17

“You don’t remember?” I asked cautiously. “No, no, don’t sit up.” I gently pushed on his shoulders.

“What am I supposed to remember?" Kraig asked as he looked around. “Wait, how did I get back here? I fell asleep at my parents’ house.” Kraig frowned and worked his jaw. He reached up and pressed against the bruise on the side of his face. “Ow. What’s going on?"

“I brought you back here. You were unconscious because I knocked you out." Just saying the words was hard enough. The look on Kraig’s face as he stared at me in shock was even worse. “I’m sorry, but I had to do it. Something was wrong, and you are acting like you were feral."

Kraig’s eyes widened. “Did I do that your face?”

Reluctantly, I nodded. “But I know you didn’t do it on purpose. Whatever was going on, whatever happened while you were asleep, was not your fault.”

He pushed my hands away and started to sit up. I didn’t want to force him to stay down when he clearly didn’t want to be prone anymore, so instead I helped him find his balance on the edge of the bed facing me.

“Why are you still down there?” Kraig fisted his hands and pushed him against his thighs. He held himself stiffly leaning away from me. “Maybe you shouldn’t be so close to me.”

“Don’t worry about me; I can take care of myself. I’m just sorry that I had to hurt you. That’s the last thing I ever wanted to do, you have to believe that.” It stung that he didn’t want me to touch him, but I didn’t move. I stared up at him from my position on the floor. “I promise that we’ll find out what that bastard did do you.”

Kraig shook his head. “How? How are you going to do that? You have a business, the streak, and now this…? You’re only one man, Deke. As your mate I should be helping you, but I’m making things worse.”

“Nothing else matters more than you right now. And I’m not doing this by myself. Park is taking care of Ritch, I sent the doctor’s files to my uncle, and he’ll be coming here on Friday to go over them with us. While you were unconscious I also called for the medic from the lion pride. He didn’t know what was going on with you either, but he took some blood samples.”

“How long have I been out?” Kraig glanced at the clock. “I just wanted to rest for a little while before lunch.”

“Looks like we missed another meal.”

“Not like I’m not used to it.” Kraig shrugged.

“Well you’re not gonna be used to it here. Let’s go get a snack, something light, and then we can watch some TV and relax on the couch.” We needed some downtime without any drama.

 

Kraig clearly took the attack on me far more seriously than I did. When he got the chance he sat on the other end of the couch. At night he lay on his side facing away from me. But as soon as he relaxed, the mating bond kicked in and he was reaching for me. I wasn’t afraid of him, but he already had so many things on his mind. Just the shock of being freed from captivity for more than two years, combined with his change status in the streak, was enough to overwhelm him.

I tried to keep us stress free for a few days. We ate meals and frequent snacks together, watched TV, and soaked in the tub as much as possible. Whenever Kraig fell asleep, I caught up on work and made phone calls. Before I knew it Friday had arrived, and Uncle Radford was due to show up after dinner.

Lydia came by with a dish of baked ziti, with lots of Italian sausage, and some homemade garlic bread. She was still spoiling us making as many of Kraig’s favorite dishes as possible. Henry had not come back to law over which was probably a good thing. I was still angry at his interference.

The last dish was in the dishwasher, and I was just about to start it, when the sound of tires in the driveway caught my attention. I shut the door and press the start button then wiped my hands on a towel. I saw Uncle Radford step out of his car clutching his briefcase.

“Hello,” I said. I had to wonder what mood he was going to show. Aggrieved professional? Annoyed uncle? Respectful streak member speaking to his alpha?

Uncle Radford scurried up the steps and onto the porch. He looked around. “Are you alone?” he whispered.

It was like he was afraid. He certainly wasn’t acting like he normally did. “Kraig’s dozing by the fireplace, but no one else is here.”

He let out a relieved sigh and stepped inside the house. “Good. There’s something you need to know immediately, but you need to stay calm.”

“Tell me,” I growled.

“I’m not a medical doctor,” Uncle Radford said. “But that lion medic you told to get in touch with me provided some very disturbing information when we discussed Kraig’s bloodwork. You don’t know half as much as you think you do.”

“Is there something wrong with Kraig? Is he… sick?” That was my greatest fear.

“No.” Uncle Radford shook his head rapidly back and forth. “He was given something.”

“What do you mean given something?”

“The lab reports I found showed a cyclical pattern. Kraig’s bloodwork changed after he changed. Something about the animal souls actually makes us different down to a cellular level. Kraig’s DNA is unlike anything I’ve ever seen; it fluctuates wildly. I think, and this is just a theory, that something he was given suppressed his tiger soul so that his cheetah soul became dominant. That’s why he attacked you, because he didn’t recognize you. His cheetah is not your mate.”

/
Copyright © 2017 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Love 4
  • Wow 2
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator
On 09/07/2016 06:23 PM, Lux Apollo said:

This just gets more and more intriguing!

I try! ;) Sometimes the story even takes me to places I don't realize it's going. Just wait--even more coming up!!

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/07/2016 07:30 PM, Puppilull said:

Oh my... That would cause a problem... To suppress the cheetah soul seems like a bad idea...

Right? And why did it happen then? Will it happen again? So many questions unanswered!

Link to comment

Wh whaaat? Holy crap on a cracker. I didn't see this coming. Kraig has two identities in essence, and one of them isn't Deke's mate? Brilliant... but yikes. Now what? I think Deke needs to buy the cheetah some flowers and chocolates... maybe some soft music :) . Uncle Radford seemed genuine. I hope he's on their side because there is a big dilemma here, and they're going to need some serious help. Awesome chapter, Cia... a little cruel... but awesome... cheers... Gary....

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/08/2016 03:07 AM, LitLover said:

Oh dear... this can't be good. I can see so much going wrong.

Soooo soooo so much!

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/08/2016 03:08 AM, Headstall said:

Wh whaaat? Holy crap on a cracker. I didn't see this coming. Kraig has two identities in essence, and one of them isn't Deke's mate? Brilliant... but yikes. Now what? I think Deke needs to buy the cheetah some flowers and chocolates... maybe some soft music :) . Uncle Radford seemed genuine. I hope he's on their side because there is a big dilemma here, and they're going to need some serious help. Awesome chapter, Cia... a little cruel... but awesome... cheers... Gary....

I surprised you, woo hoo!! :D And me, cruel? Noooo. Muahahahahaha

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/08/2016 10:30 AM, LadyDe said:

Oh Nooooooooooo :o This is not good. Not good at all. :no:

;) ;) You never know!!

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/11/2016 03:20 AM, Defiance19 said:

Well duckity, duck - duck! That is a problem indeed!

I really like what you did though... Don't tell Deke..

LOL! Duck indeed. I'm sure Deke really doesn't appreciate it, but I'm glad readers do! ;)

Link to comment

Oh come on! His cheetah is not his mate?! So in other words is like beeing married to someone with múltiple/split personality...that’s just asking for trouble.

You sir are ruthless 🤨

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..