Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 1,003 Words
  • 3,901 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Mine! - 22. Chapter 22

/

I left two guards at the house and headed over to Lydia’s house. On my way I called Park and told him to meet me there with Ritch. They could help me search for anything that might reveal what Henry had done. I hated to make Park face this so head on, but as my beta, I needed him. Plus, he’d know all the hiding spots in the house.

I sat sideways on the porch steps and waited. The sun had gone down, and the moon was rising, but it wasn’t quite night yet. I leaned my head back against the handrail. Life hadn’t been great before, but it had been simple. Get up, work, take care of the streak. I’d had just long enough to get used to the boring routine before finding Kraig completely shattered the peace within the streak.

The rumors were flying, and there was nothing I could say to reassure my people when we knew so little. I had streak members away from my claimed area searching for a traitor. My mate was under guard. The only thing I could do was search a house. It chafed the soul inside me who wanted to go on the hunt. I’d tear Henry apart for what he did, but it wouldn’t be over fast—not after the way he’d let them torture his own son.

I flared my nostrils and caught Park’s scent along with the vaguely bitter tang from Ritch. He was afraid. It took effort, but I reined in the urge to snarl. “About time,” I said testily.

“We had farther to come than you did.” Park led Ritch across the front lawn. “What do you think we’re going to find here?” he asked.

“Hell if I know. We might not find anything at all, but I need to do something. I spent nearly as much time here as I did at home growing up. If anyone can find something, it’ll be us. So, show me all your secret spots.”

Ritch hovered beside Park.

“And you can tell me what you found out from him,” I said. I unlocked the front door and flipped on the light.

“He can speak for himself,” Park said. He squeezed Ritch’s shoulder and then shut the front door. He lowered his voice but I could still hear him clearly. “He doesn’t bite.”

I resisted the urge to flash my fangs. “Let’s start in the living room. You move something, you put it back. I told your mom we’d be careful, and she’s already plotting revenge.”

“What did you do?” Park began taking books off the shelves and shaking them.

I started in on the armoire. “Submitted her.”

“You did what?” The book in Park’s hands made a dull thud when it hit the floor.

“She was here when Kraig was drugged. I had to know he was safe.”

“My mother would never hurt him.” Park growled. “You might as well have submitted me.”

“You were here,” I pointed out.

“But what about all the time I’ve spent gone since Kraig disappeared? I can’t believe you did that. My mom?”

Ritch faded back toward the entry. The sharp scent of Park’s anger burned my nose. I straightened and stared directly into his eyes.

“Do you remember, when we were kids, and the son of that visiting alpha spit on Kraig? You nearly smashed his face in, even though you were a beta. You risked punishment, not just from my dad, but from his.”

“I seem to recall you were the one who broke his jaw.”

“Yeah, and convinced him that it was a good excuse to keep his mouth shut when I said you tried to stop me and that’s how you got the shiner when I reacted without thinking.”

Park’s shoulders dropped. “You had to do a formal apology, and your dad tanned your hide.”

“Actually, he told me he knew what happened. That’s when he told me that you should be my beta. That’s why he started training us both. And he didn’t actually hit me, but he did make me take those diplomacy lessons. I think I might have preferred the beating.”

Distance between me and my beta was the last thing we needed right now. He had to know I trusted him. “You risked everything for your brother. You refused to let anyone treat him badly because of what he was. You wouldn’t be involved in trying to change him.”

The fight went right out of Park. “Okay. Mom forgave you, right? I mean, you left her alone with Kraig and we’re here.”

“As long as we don’t make a mess, I will probably survive to see the sun rise. How about we get moving so I can maybe get to bed with my mate before that happens?”

“Ughs. Don’t talk about that. He’s my brother.” Park picked up the book.

Ritch moved back into the room tentatively. “You guys remind me of me and Danny. He was like a brother.”

“You didn’t have any siblings?”

He shook his head. “Not after I was born without a soul. My mother… Well, I was an only child.”

I went back to searching among the knickknacks on the shelves. “Tell me about Danny. About the doctor. What did he do that had the alpha of your herd so uneasy?”

“At first no one thought about it. Everyone was glad to have a doctor, so no one minded the blood and tissue samples. Bonded werekin heal fast. But he kept badgering my alpha to let him take a look at me, even when I wasn’t hurt. The streak funds didn’t extend to paying for my medical care, and my parents did only the bare minimum so I could pass among humans. The doctor offered to pay the alpha for me, but by then he’d already made the deal with the streak. I guess he started following me around, probably making plans to take me before that could happen.”

/
Copyright © 2017 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Aaaaaaaaannnd so begins some more information on the cliff. :please

 

I know Deke is upset right now, but he definitely is missing some signs with Park and Ritch. Or am I imagining something? Hmm. I am also developing a theory about a plot point, but I won't tell because I don't want to give anything away. I am glad Park seems to forgive Deke. They both need to be on the same page, given what is happening.

 

Ugh, it just had to cut off right where it did! Sigh. Until next week... :)

Link to comment

I'm with lux... arghh! Hated that it ended so abruptly :) . I liked the interplay between Deke and Park. That was very believable, and well done. It's nice that Deke takes the time to explain, and gives Park room for his emotions. Obviously, Ritch has a lot more to tell, but we have to wait :( . Great chapter, Cia... cheers... Gary....

Link to comment

Will they find any answers? I hope so. I'm going crazy not knowing what's going on. Sad to hear how some are treated by the streak. Deke sure has his work cut out for him to change things in a bigger perspective.

Link to comment

Well, that was quicl. G;ad Deke took the time to reassure Park. I agree with Lux, about Park and Ritch. Why do the streaks treat their werekin so badly? Doesn't make sense to me. :no:

Link to comment

I don't know why it's taken me 22 chapters to leave a review, but this is a great story... I have like 10,000,000 questions that are slowly being answered

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/12/2016 11:59 PM, Lux Apollo said:

Aaaaaaaaannnd so begins some more information on the cliff. :please

 

I know Deke is upset right now, but he definitely is missing some signs with Park and Ritch. Or am I imagining something? Hmm. I am also developing a theory about a plot point, but I won't tell because I don't want to give anything away. I am glad Park seems to forgive Deke. They both need to be on the same page, given what is happening.

 

Ugh, it just had to cut off right where it did! Sigh. Until next week... :)

Park and Ritch... hmmm. Mebbe! LOL Sorry for the cut off, though. That 1k limit is brutal.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/13/2016 04:53 AM, Headstall said:

I'm with lux... arghh! Hated that it ended so abruptly :) . I liked the interplay between Deke and Park. That was very believable, and well done. It's nice that Deke takes the time to explain, and gives Park room for his emotions. Obviously, Ritch has a lot more to tell, but we have to wait :( . Great chapter, Cia... cheers... Gary....

Sorry! Deke and Park need a cohesive relationship to help keep the streak safe. Thanks for the 'believable' compliment! That is sooo important to me.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/13/2016 05:54 AM, Puppilull said:

Will they find any answers? I hope so. I'm going crazy not knowing what's going on. Sad to hear how some are treated by the streak. Deke sure has his work cut out for him to change things in a bigger perspective.

Questions, questions, and few answers. Deke definitely has to be going insane trying to figure out what's going on.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/14/2016 05:21 AM, LadyDe said:

Well, that was quicl. G;ad Deke took the time to reassure Park. I agree with Lux, about Park and Ritch. Why do the streaks treat their werekin so badly? Doesn't make sense to me. :no:

Human werekin don't have the animal soul. They're 'lesser' because of that. At least to the old-fashioned, isolated groups. As for Ritch and Park... well, that's for later chapters. LOL

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/15/2016 02:36 AM, JayT said:

I don't know why it's taken me 22 chapters to leave a review, but this is a great story... I have like 10,000,000 questions that are slowly being answered

Hey, 22 chapters in or 2, I appreciate every review! Thanks, JayT. I do tend to throw a lot of questions at readers and then slowly reveal answers. I hope the patience to get them will be worth it!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..