Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 1,002 Words
  • 3,546 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Mine! - 24. Chapter 24

/

“He’s really dead?” Kraig sat stiffly against the headboard. He had a death grip on the blanket over his lap.

My phone pinged and a picture popped up on the screen.

“Yes,” I was able to say with certainty. Henry’s eyes were open, and he’d died with a snarl on his face. Someone had made him very angry. The doctor was a human who knew about our kind. Henry had been working with him. Now he’d been on the run from his streak in the presence of two humans, and he was dead.

Someone was cleaning up loose ends. What were humans doing transforming human werekin into bonded werekin?

Humans turning human werekin into bonded werekin. “Holy shit,” I said under my breath. “I can’t believe I didn’t see it.”

Kraig frowned. “What? See what?”

“A human doctor took you. You’re werekin, but you’re human for all intents and purposes. He made you into a bonded werekin. He changed your spirit so that it could bond with an animal soul—”

“Two animal souls.”

I stood up and started to pace, stalking back and forth the realization blooming in my mind even as I spoke. “Maybe that’s what it took. Maybe one just wasn’t strong enough. I don’t know. But I do know that a human doctor hurt you. Humans were with Henry, and he’s dead. It must be because he knew too much, and they were afraid we would find out. This is a human plot.”

“But… why?”

“That I don’t know.” I ran my hands over my head, wishing I could tug on my hair. I missed my thick mane. “Ripping the souls out of bonded werekin would kill them; we can’t survive without our animal souls. Do they want to eradicate us? We can die from damage just like any other person. Remove our mate, and we’re weakened considerably. Maybe that’s why they blended the souls in you? Why not put one soul from each mate into a different body?”

“Wait.” Kraig jolted out of bed. “My mother!”

“Oh, fuck!” I grabbed my pants off the floor and tossed his toward Kraig. I wanted nothing more than to run to her house, but Kraig wasn’t capable of going that far. He wasn’t strong enough to handle the cool night air either. I pulled out a light, long-sleeved shirt out of my drawer and handed it to Kraig. I wanted him swathed in my scent if he was leaving the house. It would keep him calmer as well.

“Shoes, keys.” We hurried into both. “Shit, my phone.” I ran back upstairs and grabbed it, texting Park to get back to his mom’s house immediately, 911. I needed to call Park and give him the bad news. I was sick of giving bad news. I prayed that we were not going to his parents’ house to find his mother dead.

She’d been alone for hours only. When had Henry died? I wish Cameron had mentioned that, even a guess. I climbed into the car. My tires spun on the ravel as I turned around in a sharp circle. I reached over and put my hand over Kraig’s tightly clenched fingers. “She might be okay.”

“After my father emotionally abandoned her? How much of her will be left if the only reason she lives is because her bond with him was broken before he died? Because he’s a bastard who helped torture his own son?” Kraig’s voice broke.

I squeezed him. “No matter what, I’m with you. You’ll never be alone again.” I knew, just like I’d always known, that I would not live if I lost Kraig again. The world wasn’t a place I wanted to be if he wasn’t with me. His spirit and mine were interwoven irrevocably. Where he went, wherever that was, I would go too.

Park’s ran out down the driveway right as we pulled up. He was alone, panting as he stopped by the porch. Kraig threw his door open. “Mom!” he shouted.

He jumped the stairs in a leap I didn’t expect him to make. He slammed against the door, but it was locked. “Deke, help me! Mom!”

“What is going on?”

“Your dad is dead,” I shouted as I ran toward the door. I turned and hit it with my shoulder, popping it out of the frame as the hinges broke under the assault. “Lydia!” The lights were all off downstairs.

Park was a streak as he ran by me and up the stairs. Kraig was on his heels, and I followed him closely. If they found her, or this sudden burst of energy he had abruptly left him, I didn’t want him to fall. Our feet pounding on the stairs reminded me of all the times Lydia had yelled at us to slow down growing up… and my heart stuttered. I’d lost my parents, Henry… she was the closest thing I had left.

If we lost her, it would be like we were cast adrift. We were too young to face a future without her wisdom.

“Mom!” Kraig screamed.

The light came on in her bedroom just after Park rushed inside. My knees wobbled when Lydia sat up and turned. She blinked in the light from the lamp coming from her bedside table. “What is going on? Why are you screaming at me?” Her eyes were red-rimmed, and her voice hoarse. She was wearing a long-sleeved robe over a nightgown and had several blankets piled up on the bed. “Why are you out at night without coats on? Don’t you know how cold it is tonight?” She shivered.

Park collapsed on his knees next to her, resting his head against the bed. His shoulders shook hard, but he remained silent. Kraig, tears streaming down his face, climbed on the bed. He reached for her hand, letting out a jagged breath when they touched. “You’re okay,” he whispered.

“Why wouldn’t I be?” She rubbed her chest. “What’s going on?” she asked again.

/
Copyright © 2017 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 29
  • Love 4
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It just keeps getting more and more curious... was Henry's bonded soul stolen and not passed on? Is that why Lydia seems ok? Or is it because she's already in shock and despair over what her husband did to their son? Hmm.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/27/2016 01:51 AM, Lux Apollo said:

It just keeps getting more and more curious... was Henry's bonded soul stolen and not passed on? Is that why Lydia seems ok? Or is it because she's already in shock and despair over what her husband did to their son? Hmm.

I know, right?! Those were the questions I hoped readers would take away from the chapter. I couldn't be so cruel as to not make sure everyone knew she was still alive though! I figured if I left that as a cliffhanger, I'd be crucified by the raging mob of readers who don't want to wait another week. :P

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm not getting it... I'm missing something. Arghhh! So, If Henry's dead, Lydia should be suicidal? Is someone keeping his animal soul alive? And why two souls in Kraig? I know Deke says one is maybe not strong enough... I am so confused. I know... I have to wait and see... next week then... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Seems to me someone is trying to create something very scary, bonding souls like that. And I thought Lydia could still be in danger, even if she's alive now. Or is the reaction to a mate's death instantaneous? I felt sorry for them having to break the news to her and then possibly watch her fade away. But perhaps there is hope. Or is it? What if the person who received Henry's soul is a bad guy? That would make things very tricky...

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/27/2016 05:22 AM, Headstall said:

I'm not getting it... I'm missing something. Arghhh! So, If Henry's dead, Lydia should be suicidal? Is someone keeping his animal soul alive? And why two souls in Kraig? I know Deke says one is maybe not strong enough... I am so confused. I know... I have to wait and see... next week then... cheers... Gary....

LOL. I've confused you, I can tell! Don't worry, all will be revealed at one point. Now when that might be.... ;)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/27/2016 05:41 AM, Puppilull said:

Seems to me someone is trying to create something very scary, bonding souls like that. And I thought Lydia could still be in danger, even if she's alive now. Or is the reaction to a mate's death instantaneous? I felt sorry for them having to break the news to her and then possibly watch her fade away. But perhaps there is hope. Or is it? What if the person who received Henry's soul is a bad guy? That would make things very tricky...

Well remember the mate bond is more than just physical. There are nuances that haven't really been fully explored, and toss in this experiment happening... so many questions. It will come out, never fear!

Link to comment

The other reviewers asked all of my questions. I thought she'd be in tears and half dead or something. Why would humans want to take were-kin souls? This is going to get really convoluted, isn't it? :yes: Hope I have the brain cells to follow where you're leading us!! :rolleyes:

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..