Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 1,000 Words
  • 5,471 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Mine! - 3. Chapter 3

Kraig wrapped his hands around mine, pressing them close to his cheeks.

“The doctor did this,” I said grimly. “And he was using the samples he took from us to do more tests and experiments on Kraig. I killed him and his wife and was going to kill the intruder who thought he could become an alpha through science... but that wasn’t what was going on. I found Kraig.”

I gently turned his hand over so I could stroke his wrists. The antiseptic properties in my saliva had helped, but the wrist he’d sliced open tearing it free from the manacles was still raw even though it wasn’t bleeding. “I should’ve bandaged this last night.”

“It’s fine,” said Kraig. “It’s not nearly as bad as it was yesterday."

Park growled. He hovered next to the bed staring at Kraig. “You looked worse than this?" His gaze snapped over to me. “I hope that doctor suffered before he died."

His anger at the abuse of someone who’d been so innocent and excited when he left was nothing compared to mine, but I knew Park needed some time with Kraig before he could calm down. I stood up gently placing Kraig’s hands back in his lap. “Why don’t you sit here with Kraig while I go find some bandages and cream for his wrists." I stayed close while Park sat down on the edge of the bed not quite touching Kraig but looking like he wanted to pull him into his arms.

Once they started murmuring to each other, I went to the bathroom to look for a first aid kit. There was one underneath the sink, but I wasn’t sure if it had enough bandages to wrap Kraig’s wrist. I headed back into my bedroom but stopped in the bathroom doorway. Park cradled the back of Kraig’s head with both hands and had therefore had pressed together whispering to his brother.

I’d known how fiercely Park had mourned Kraig when he thought he was dead. I’d also felt that empty hole inside me, but now it was filled. The bond was different from ours, but I knew his family’s love was equally as strong. If he was going to heal he was going to need all of us.

“I’m going to head downstairs.” Kraig pulled back and looked at me, his eyes wide. “Don't worry, it will only take me a few minutes to get what I need for your wrist."

“I’ll stay and guard him,” said Park. He was still holding onto the back of Kraig’s neck. He gently squeezed it. “I won’t leave him alone for a second.”

A small spark of the Kraig I’d known growing up surfaced. He rolled his eyes and pulled away from Kraig to lean against the headboard. “I’m pretty sure nobody’s going to get me here in the alpha’s bedroom.”

“Better safe than sorry," Park said. “Besides Mom and Dad should be here soon, and you’re still naked. It’s probably a good idea if you put something on.”

Looking down at himself, Kraig turned red and yanked the sheets up. I wouldn’t have wanted my mother to see me naked either, so I took pity on him. I pulled a pair of boxers and a T-shirt out of my dresser and tossed them on the bed. “I’ll be right back."

There was an entire closet downstairs full of first-aid supplies. Cubs had a hard time learning how to control their claws sometimes, scratching without intending to hurt their friends as they played. My mother had kept the closet well-stocked when I was growing up; Park and I had definitely put it to good use. By habit, I’d simply replace things as they were used since my parents died. I dug through the shelves getting exactly what I needed to doctor the wound on Kraig’s wrist.

My stomach growled. I’d skipped dinner the night before dealing with the doctor and then the shock of finding Kraig and blooding him. Usually I fended for myself not expecting the street to provide me with meals, but news of finding Kraig had spread quickly. The others just wanted to help, so when I went into the kitchen there were a bunch of covered containers on the counter. I could scent rich meats, creamy eggs, and cinnamon French toast—Kraig’s favorite.

On a hunch, I open the fridge door. It was stuffed full with several plastic wrapped cuts of fresh venison sitting on the top shelf. Maybe we’d have a barbecue for lunch, if Kraig was feeling up to it.

I’d already been downstairs longer than I liked so I hurried back to my room. Instead of being in bed Kraig was settled on the couch in the outer room of my suite. He was swimming in my shirt and a blanket covered his lap. His shoulders visibly relaxed when I walked into the room. Park stood stiffly by the fireplace, and tension sung between them. Had been arguing about something?

“Got what I needed. As soon as your parents get here we’ll eat. All your favorites are downstairs: French toast, sausage and bacon, and lots of scrambled eggs with cheese.” I dropped to my knees beside the couch and picked up Kraig’s wrist. If Park hadn’t been in the room I would have licked the wound again, but seeing that intimacy would probably set him off. I hadn’t exactly explained the blooded part, and the strange lack of scent with Kraig apparently meant Park couldn’t smell our bond. Ointment would have to do.

“Tell me if this hurts,” I said.

“It doesn’t.” Kraig rested his head against the back of the couch and closed his eyes as I gently smoothed ointment over the raw skin on his wrist. I’d just finished, smoothing the self-adhesive fabric to itself with as few wrinkles as possible, when Park’s mother led his dad into the room.

He froze, the words he was beginning to say garbled into nonsense that trailed off.

/
Copyright © 2017 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 50
  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Hmm... What were they arguing about? Did Park want Kraig home? Doesn't seem possible.

 

And for an Alpha, the self control was admirable. No jealous growling! Way to go! :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/01/2016 09:09 PM, Puppilull said:

Hmm... What were they arguing about? Did Park want Kraig home? Doesn't seem possible.

 

And for an Alpha, the self control was admirable. No jealous growling! Way to go! :)

I do try not to allow my characters to be too mainstream in the expectations, lol. Lots of questions, still so much to answer and reveal. Thanks for reviewing, Puppilull.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

And now the complications of family begin! So much for Kraig to deal with all at once when he really could have used some time to decompress. How much can Kraig handle right now, without feeling completely stifled and overloaded? I hope Deke will be able to give him the reassurance he needs, because this is going to be a long road and we're only just beginning...

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/02/2016 03:56 AM, Lux Apollo said:

And now the complications of family begin! So much for Kraig to deal with all at once when he really could have used some time to decompress. How much can Kraig handle right now, without feeling completely stifled and overloaded? I hope Deke will be able to give him the reassurance he needs, because this is going to be a long road and we're only just beginning...

You've hit the nail on the head with this review! I don't want to say too much, but... yeah. Good insight. ;) Thanks for reading, Lux!

Link to comment

Curiouser and curiouser. Why is there no scent from Kraig? Why not just tell Park? And why was Kraig so rattled by his mom and dad? He's gone through one hell of a lot, and it appears the drama is only beginning. Are the parents going to be pissed at the blooding? Is Park? I know... stay tuned... and I will. I'm liking this a lot, Cia... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/02/2016 06:35 AM, Headstall said:

Curiouser and curiouser. Why is there no scent from Kraig? Why not just tell Park? And why was Kraig so rattled by his mom and dad? He's gone through one hell of a lot, and it appears the drama is only beginning. Are the parents going to be pissed at the blooding? Is Park? I know... stay tuned... and I will. I'm liking this a lot, Cia... cheers... Gary...

Yes, you do ask so many questions that I can't answer without spoiling! But I love it because it lets me know what you want to know for next week (or the week after or the week after, drat that 1k limit! lol)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Park can't smell the bond..hmm.. But Kraig and Deke aren't being too subtle, I mean he was naked in the Alpha's bed. So I wonder if the tension is about the relationship Park fears is brewing. Now Kraig has to deal with his parents.. The ending had me like Yikes!!
Short chapters have me so needy... Can't wait for next week..

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/02/2016 08:37 AM, Defiance19 said:

Park can't smell the bond..hmm.. But Kraig and Deke aren't being too subtle, I mean he was naked in the Alpha's bed. So I wonder if the tension is about the relationship Park fears is brewing. Now Kraig has to deal with his parents.. The ending had me like Yikes!!

Short chapters have me so needy... Can't wait for next week..

Short chapters make me antsy too! I have so much story to share with you guys that I'm constantly writing ahead and then having to stop while I wait for the prompts for the next week, lol. Glad you liked it, Defiance!

Link to comment

I can see how hard it is for Deke to leave Kraig, even with his brother. I'm sure part of its the bond, and part of it is the affection he's always felt for the young man. It doesn't seem like Kraig is fighting the bond for Deke's own good, but how much of that is because he's weak right now? I guess time will tell.
Like others, I wonder why Park can't scent the bond or Kraig? I assume that's very unusual for werekin. I think more study is going to have to be made of the doctor's notes to see what, exactly, the man did.

Link to comment

I will not be commenting unless Cia asks me to. I am reading these chapters in 2018 and, by the time they are published, the typical author is so tired of the story that they don't even read the comments, especially this far into the future from first publication.

It is a real pleasure to read a story with so few errors in writing. It means that the reading is not interrupted by a homophone or a misspelled word. Thank you, Cia for being such a professional author.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
57 minutes ago, Will Hawkins said:

I will not be commenting unless Cia asks me to. I am reading these chapters in 2018 and, by the time they are published, the typical author is so tired of the story that they don't even read the comments, especially this far into the future from first publication.

It is a real pleasure to read a story with so few errors in writing. It means that the reading is not interrupted by a homophone or a misspelled word. Thank you, Cia for being such a professional author.

Comment all you like, Will, and I will try to like and respond as I can. The bigger issue is finding the notifications in my list of so many different things or finding the time to reply. :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..