Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 1,001 Words
  • 4,946 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Mine! - 8. Chapter 8

“Come on, Kraig. It’s me, Deke. You know me. You blooded me just a few hours ago, remember? Listen to my voice. Feel me. All you have to do is take my hand. That’s it. I’ll help you with the rest.” I stuck my arm under the bed and then pulled back hastily when Kraig hissed.

My mistake. He wasn’t ready yet. “Do you remember that time when we were about ten? Well, Park and I were ten. You were still single digits and tiny as can be. Park and I were playing keep away, and you got so mad. That throw I flubbed? I knew you’d get the ball. I didn’t expect you to get under the porch though.

I resisted the urge to rub my ass. “Man, your mom didn’t even wait for our dads. She skinned our butts for being mean to you, for letting you get dirty in your new school clothes, and then a few more just to make sure we’d never forget.”

“’Member that,” Kraig said hoarsely.

“Yeah? What else do you remember? Anything good?” I slid my hand just under the edge of the bed.

“Going down to the creek.”

“Oh, I loved that. Don’t seem to have as much time for it anymore, but maybe we can plan out a picnic.”

Kraig inched forward. “Really?”

“Yep. But we can’t do that under the bed. Can I help you out of there?” I held my breath and turned my hand over, inviting his touch instead of trying to grab him.

“I’m sorry,” he said. His voice broke.

“Nothing to be sorry for. Let’s get you out, and I’ll get you a glass of water. I bet you’re thirsty.”

Hate radiated through me, and I wished I could slash that doctor’s throat again when Kraig got to his feet. He was hunched over, like he was trying to make himself smaller, and he refused to look at me. Shivers wracked him.

“How about a shower?” I suggested.

“Together?”

That wasn’t my first thought, but I wouldn’t turn down any opportunity to get naked and wet with Kraig. “Sure. Then I have some lunch for us.”

“You didn’t eat?”

“I wanted to wait for you.”

Kraig stared up at me. “Alphas don’t do that.”

“Maybe other alphas don’t.” I shrugged. “I do. Besides, you need to eat. I ordered roast beef sandwiches, your favorite.”

“Hot?”

“Probably just warm now, but we can go down and heat them up.”

The burst of energy was gone by the time Kraig was clean. I scrubbed him dry and then ran a towel over myself. “Back in bed. I’ll bring lunch in here.”

“What about crumbs?”

“I’ll risk it.” I slid the tray with our sandwiches on the bed and then went back for the milk and juice. “Here.” I handed him a plate with a thick sandwich of homemade bread piled high with warm roast beef with some carrots on the side—definitely his mom’s doing. “Eat as much as you can. We’ll find a way to flush the carrots.”

“You gotta wrap them up in toilet paper like a ball, but not so big you clog the toilet. That’s bad.”

I chuckled. “I’m guessing that’s personal experience talking? I never heard that story.”

“The next day all she served me was carrots. I still hate the things.”

Gross. “I don’t blame you.” I waited for Kraig to try his sandwich before I picked up my sandwich and took a big bite. The juice from the spiced meat had soaked into the thick, dense slices of bread. “So good,” I moaned.

I polished off my sandwich and a little more than half of Kraig’s. He’d eat more once he was used to eating regular meals again. The carrots went into the garbage can, and I pulled out several tissues to cover them. I’d have to take that out before my subterfuge was discovered.

Kraig was already falling back asleep. I began to stand up to put the tray away, and he snagged my arm. “Stay?” I hesitated. “I don’t want to dream again. You keep the darkness away.”

My heart clenched. “Anything you need,” I promised him. I put the tray down on the floor and crawled back in the bed. It wasn’t cold so I pulled the lighter blanket up from the foot of the bed. I curled around Kraig, surrounding his cool skin with my warmth.

He crashed hard, but I dozed, aware of the quiet noises as some of the streak moved around the house and grounds outside. Nothing sounded out of the place, so I sighed and nuzzled my cheek against the soft fuzz of Kraig’s hair.

My doze had deepened to a hard sleep that left me disoriented when my phone rang. I’d left it on the nightstand, so I had to roll away from Kraig to get it. “What?”

“Alpha, we have a problem.”

I sat up and cleared my throat. “What is it, Park?” I expected him to say I was monopolizing his brother, or that his mom was inbound like a full steam ahead maternal locomotive.”

“I wasn’t just running wild when I was out in the backwoods,” Park said. “I established our boundaries, and then realized there’s a neutral zone to our south. A trail runs through it, and I met a few unaffiliated werekin as they traveled past us.”

“And?”

“One of them just showed up on my doorstep.”

“Tiger werekin?” Not many werekin would violate our borders unless they were equally as strong.

“Nope. His herd left him behind when they headed to the wilds. He’s been wandering, and he’s heard some things....”

I ran a hand over my head. “What aren’t you telling me, Park?”

“He’s a human werekin, and he’s not been treated well. You’re a little much, especially right now.”

Park was angling for something, and it wasn’t like him not to just say it. “What do you want me to do, Park?”

/
Copyright © 2017 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 41
  • Love 5
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A stray? Intriguing!

 

Deke seems like a modern Alpha. Got his instincts a bit under control. Probably just what Kraig needs right now.

Link to comment

Cool development. You do so well packing just enough into your short chapters to keep the story moving but not so much that it overwhelms. :-D

Link to comment

I'm intrigued why they didn't realize there was a neutral zone to the south. How far reaching are their borders? And why wouldn't Deke know why Park was down there? The idea of a stray is also interesting. Why is he at Park's house? What happened to him? As always, so many questions ;)

Link to comment

Uh oh! Wonder what this human werekin' been hearing.. Why'd they leave him behind? will this impact Kraig somehow? Oh, lots of questions as the plot deepens..
Good stuff..,

Link to comment

Dammit, I'm trying to be good and you made me so hungry. I swear I could taste that sandwich. Anyway, the story. Deke is proving to be a real sweetheart. He handled a frightened Kraig beautifully. Okay, so a stray human werekin... a trap... espionage... or maybe..................... a potential mate for Park. I got the feeling he wanted to keep him for himself... maybe an instant attraction? Hmmm. And what does this new stray have to tell? Great chapter, Cia. I couldn't go to bed until I read it... but now I'm starving... cheers... Gary....

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/06/2016 07:26 PM, Puppilull said:

A stray? Intriguing!

 

Deke seems like a modern Alpha. Got his instincts a bit under control. Probably just what Kraig needs right now.

Hopefully he'll stay under control, and the stray won't bring trouble.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/06/2016 09:52 PM, Lux Apollo said:

Cool development. You do so well packing just enough into your short chapters to keep the story moving but not so much that it overwhelms. :-D

Thanks, Lux! It's a challenge to stay in the word count and not have 'filler' chapters where things lag. Glad I'm achieving success so far! :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/07/2016 08:27 AM, LitLover said:

I'm intrigued why they didn't realize there was a neutral zone to the south. How far reaching are their borders? And why wouldn't Deke know why Park was down there? The idea of a stray is also interesting. Why is he at Park's house? What happened to him? As always, so many questions ;)

Far, far reaching borders, and Park has/had issues after the loss of his brother. He was absent more than not, doing his duty to help protect the streak by patrolling, but he avoided a lot of people.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/07/2016 09:19 AM, Defiance19 said:

Uh oh! Wonder what this human werekin' been hearing.. Why'd they leave him behind? will this impact Kraig somehow? Oh, lots of questions as the plot deepens..

Good stuff..,

The strands of the story are starting to come together, but more and more questions are coming out than being answered. More will come soon then! :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/07/2016 01:58 PM, Headstall said:

Dammit, I'm trying to be good and you made me so hungry. I swear I could taste that sandwich. Anyway, the story. Deke is proving to be a real sweetheart. He handled a frightened Kraig beautifully. Okay, so a stray human werekin... a trap... espionage... or maybe..................... a potential mate for Park. I got the feeling he wanted to keep him for himself... maybe an instant attraction? Hmmm. And what does this new stray have to tell? Great chapter, Cia. I couldn't go to bed until I read it... but now I'm starving... cheers... Gary....

LOL! :P That is so funny! Sometimes when I'm reading I end up wanting whatever the characters are eating, especially creamy, soft scrambled eggs. Thanks for reading, Gary, and I'm glad you're enjoying the story.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..