Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 1,300 Words
  • 8,660 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Mine! - Prologue. Prologue

“Please, I can explain.” He looked up at me from his knees.

“Don’t worry.” I narrowed my eyes and glared. “You don’t have to.”

“But—”

His intestines spilled from his body just before his head rolled across the floor. His wife screamed and scrabbled away from me, but she couldn't escape my wrath. Her body hit the floor with a dull thud. The silence was broken by the pattering of blood dripping from my nails as it hit the concrete floor. I flicked my hands, annoyed with the sound.

“I know you’re here. I can smell your rot. Come out, come out wherever you are.” I prowled the room, trying to find the scent that spoke of my kind. I extended my claws and retracted them. An alpha would have come at me by now.

“Secure in your little hidey hole?” The source of the scent was masked by the putrid smell of the doctor’s innards spilled from his eviscerated body in a rush of bile and blood.

“You should have known better than to work with him.”

My ruff stood up, the skin on my neck and shoulders prickling. I huffed a sub vocal sigh. “I will find you.” Trespassers did not live after they crossed my borders. “Did you think his experiments would make you stronger than me?”

I’d not faced a credible threat in years, not that I cared much anymore. I held onto my land because once… he’d lived here. He’d loved the hills and the forests that ringed my estate, and for his memory I’d protect my claim.

“I’ve seen his files. The tests, the trials.” I turned in a slow circle. “The good doctor was using me all along. For you.” I’d allowed the bastard to move to my town. His knowledge had been useful. Finding a doctor who’d treat werekin could be hard. I’d kept my distance, until the worm I’d sent into his computer system cracked his firewall and found everything he’d been trying on his sneaky guest.

“Did you think you could become an alpha? That something in our blood could actually change you into something strong enough to face me?” I was not an alpha because of the blood that ran through my veins. Obviously neither the doctor nor the bastard trying to challenge me understood that. “If you want to live, you’ll come out now.” I scanned the walls, searching for the cracks that had to be there.

There was a lab here somewhere. The blood and tissue samples he’d taken from my people had to be processed, and it wasn’t at the clinic we’d raided. The good doctor had rushed down to this room for a reason, and it wasn’t to protect his woman.

I snapped my head and stared at the south wall. There. A faint chiming sound, like a blade drawn from a sheath.

Striding to the wall, I spun and kicked sideways. The thick sole of my boot absorbed the blow as my leg went through the wall. The gaping hole exposed a room partitioned off from the rest of the basement. I grabbed the sheetrock at the sides of the hole and tore it from the studs. A long steel counter ran the length of the wall. Tools of all kinds were strewn haphazardly across its surface. Darkness hide what lay at the far end of the counter but nothing could hide the stench of feces and urine.

The coward must have fouled himself. Alpha… yeah right.

“Last chance to come out and die with a shred of dignity.” Not even a human was as weak as this bonded werekin filth.

I crouched when metal slid across the ground. Clumsy. He had revealed his location in the shadow and that he was armed. It would be his last mistake.

A slender arm reached into the light. Dirty fingers scrabbled at the cracks in the stone floor and then pulled.

Deep blue eyes dominated the pale face. His skin stretched taut over knife-edge thin cheekbones. A black mask covered his muzzle, the straps digging into his patchy ruff.

His blood began to flow toward me in thin rivulets along the white grout between the stones from his lacerated wrist.

Not a challenger.

Park’s little brother.

We’d been told he’d died in an accident on his way to college. He’d decided to leave town and head to the city, where I couldn't follow, and my best friend had been inconsolable when his parents broke the news Kraig would never come back.

I jumped through the hole.

“Kraig.”

The straps were easy to slice away with my claws but the mask was adhered to Kraig’s face. He cried out weakly when I ripped it away.

“Deke,” he whispered.

My heart pounded. It had been two long years since I heard my name said in that voice. Adrenaline surged through me in a way it hadn’t when I killed the doctor and prepared to kill the trespasser hiding in my territory. I felt alive in a way I hadn’t since I lost Kraig.

Not since he left without a look back for me because he didn’t believe he, a lowly human werekin, could possibly belong at my side when he couldn’t be blooded as my mate.

“I’ve got you.” My hands trembled as I traced them in the air over his wasted form, unsure of where it was safe to touch. He’d sliced his wrist to the bone yanking it out of a manacle holding him to the wall so he could reach out to me. The other wrist was still clamped with a band of thick metal. I breathed through my mouth, taking in his changed scent.

“I’m dying. Hold me… while I go,” he begged. His cracked lips bled fat, red drops of blood down his muzzle. His face, so different, was just as beautiful as it had been when I knew him last. I didn't understand what had happened to him, but it didn't matter.

“No!” I denied his request vehemently. My claws dug into my palms as I clenched my hands into fists. “Don’t ask me to do that, not when I just found you. Not when I can save you.”

“Not safe.” He began gasping for air. “He did… things… let me die.”

I ignored his plea. I leaned down and began to lick his wrist to stem the tide of blood. There was no time to find bandages.

“What… are you… No!”

I pierced my tongue with my fangs, ignoring the stinging pain. I would not let him go again no matter the risk. If the doctor doomed him to die with his experiments, we’d die together. If I had to I’d beg Kraig’s forgiveness, but he’d only be able to give it to me if he lived. I couldn’t believe I’d find him now just to lose him. One day he would know, just as I did, that he belonged to me no matter what soul he'd been born with.

I shoved my bleeding tongue into his mouth.

You. Will. Not. Die.

Each thrust of my tongue denied his fatalistic desire as if I spoke the words aloud. He battled me, struggling in vain before my essence swept him away. We stared into each other’s eyes as I cradled his body in my arms and forced Kraig to accept me inside him.

The blue bled from his eyes, and they shone red for a long moment until he shuttered them, his lids sliding shut slowly.

He was blooded.

My heart sang when he began to suck on my tongue. His free hand dug into my ruff, yanking me closer. A purr vibrated against my chest, startling me, but then I pulled him in closer.

Kraig was mine.

Copyright © 2017 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 51
  • Love 4
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh! You're already starting this! Yay! I can't wait to get to know what happened to these two.

Link to comment

Well that started off with a bang! I remember wanting more the first time I read this. Now I get my wish :D

Link to comment

Oh, yeah... this is good! I'm hooked. Now if you would just make the chapters 2000 words instead... I know, I know... well done, Cia... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 05/18/2016 06:50 PM, Puppilull said:

Oh! You're already starting this! Yay! I can't wait to get to know what happened to these two.

I did! I spent the last week plotting out the world so I could get going right away. :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 05/18/2016 07:01 PM, Nephylim said:

Bloody storming start, fair play

Aww, how UK of you to say. ;) Thanks, Nephy!

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 05/18/2016 11:34 PM, LitLover said:

Well that started off with a bang! I remember wanting more the first time I read this. Now I get my wish :D

Well I am glad I could accommodate your desires (it definitely won the polling votes too!) and I hope you'll enjoy the rest of the story too.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 05/19/2016 01:35 AM, Headstall said:

Oh, yeah... this is good! I'm hooked. Now if you would just make the chapters 2000 words instead... I know, I know... well done, Cia... cheers... Gary...

I know! It's hard to write just 1k too. It's usually come and gone and I end up hitting delete about fifty times to make it fit the word count. :P Thanks for reviewing, Gary!

Link to comment

I say eff the word count and just write as much as you want. I keep hoping you guys give up the 1,000-word thing! LOL

 

Seriously, tho, I don't really know what's going on. The description is ... jumbled. Can you take another stab at it? Human werekin? Bonded werekin? The alpha's "public voice"? And what streak? Also, in this prologue, I can't tell if they are in human form or some other form, because of words like ruff and muzzle. I can understand if Deke thinks in these terms, even in human form, but more physical descriptions would help. As it stands, I finish the prologue not sure if I want to go on. I will, of course, because I've been a fan for years, but this chapter doesn't seem up to your usual standards. Maybe you were rushed?

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 05/19/2016 02:16 AM, Geemeedee said:

I say eff the word count and just write as much as you want. I keep hoping you guys give up the 1,000-word thing! LOL

 

Seriously, tho, I don't really know what's going on. The description is ... jumbled. Can you take another stab at it? Human werekin? Bonded werekin? The alpha's "public voice"? And what streak? Also, in this prologue, I can't tell if they are in human form or some other form, because of words like ruff and muzzle. I can understand if Deke thinks in these terms, even in human form, but more physical descriptions would help. As it stands, I finish the prologue not sure if I want to go on. I will, of course, because I've been a fan for years, but this chapter doesn't seem up to your usual standards. Maybe you were rushed?

The prologue is an older story start that was a flash fic posting. It was meant to be vague to allow people to vary visualizations. I'll keep that in mind as I post further, though, and make sure I give readers proper visuals of the characters. Thanks for the in-depth review, Geemeedee!

Link to comment

So good.. It took me right back to why I loved this when it first posted.. Excited we get more of it..

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..