Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 1,002 Words
  • 4,710 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Orphic Revelations - 6. Chapter 6

"Did you dream?"

I nodded. All the knowledge of my past cycles had combined into one startling moment of realization at what I had to do.

We were facing Cronus, Titan of Time. I'd expected him in this last cycle. Defeating time ... a trick wouldn't save us, not like when I'd forced Oceanus to follow me as I flew on the back of Tek's eagle into a desert, depriving him of his salt water until his powers weakened enough to kill him.

Iapetus controlled the lifespan of humans. He must have been the one who snipped the lives of my family short. It hadn't been their time, not truly, or my dreams would not have tried to warn me even before my powers came into being. Tek could handle him as a wemic because he wasn't a human then.

But Cronus was coming into his power in a matter of days. We had to be in the lowlands before then.

Tek's lion came through the wall; 'd grown used to his shadow travels. "Can you take me with you through the shadows?"

Tek nodded. "It is the quickest way to get down the mountain." His lion had been rubbing against me but when Tek began to glow, his powers called to the proud beast. My eyes burned and I covered them as the white hot light flared.

"Come, Nysion." Tek held out his hand. I took it, swinging onto the low back of his lion half. My hands settled onto his waist and I leaned my head against his back. "Ready?"

I hoped I was. We walked into the shadows and my stomach clenched. The world faded and blurred. I closed my eyes. I could feel the warm fuzzy body moving between my legs as the lion's lithe body paced onward steadily.

Each night we snuggled under the stars, Tek's lion curled up on the other side of the fire. For the first time since my coming of age my dreams were of the future I wished for, not my pasts.

Before they reached the city Tek stopped. He left the lion in the shadows, instructing him to stay close but out of human sight.

"No one will recognize us now." I had filled out over the winter and my hair had grown. I no longer scurried or meekly lowered my eyes like a slave. The high collar of my fine linen shirt covered my scars. Tek was a large man, but without his lion, no one would recognize him as the wemic.

Midnight would see Cronus coming into his power. We walked into the city amid of the dawn influx of travelers. Listening to gossip, we heard the news that Iapetus was hosting a party that the empire's elite had traveled weeks to attend.

My powers were focused in dreams and my words. If I were to have a chance to counter him, I had to figure out how to beat time to stop Cronus.

The day passed too quickly. Dusk fell over the city as we crept closer to the blazing lanterns marking the family compound. The wealthiest attendees arrived on palanquin, others walked. We snuck in with a large party, Tek's power of using the shadows covering us until we could hide.

My dreams had shown humanity's dire fate if Cronus gained power. I watched him whisper his way through the hall. The firelight gleamed on his oiled skin as he spoke unctuously in every ear. He would work his way into the graces of the Emperor through these nobles. His poisoned tongue would drip venomous words. The plague of war would march across the earth, stealing the time that men should spend on virtuous lives.

Cronus had worried men would follow me, even as a slave. I eschewed power; wanting only a simple life with Tek and then find peace free of our mortal bodies. If this was our last incarnation I didn't want to leave it yet. But could I travel the path of power and live?

The moment came before I even realized it was upon us. The moon crested at the apex of its journey, visible in sky above.

"Together in the end, no matter what." I nodded, my mouth too dry to speak.

I could not fail.

Voices in the hall began to distort.

Pulsing green light filled the room and time began to still. Light flashed as Tek joined with his lion and then leapt at Iapetus, taking him back into the shadow to complete his purpose.

Mine was Cronus. More people began to fall under Cronus' spell.

"You're too late, Nysion." Cronus spread his arms wide. "You are powerless against me."

I gathered my courage. "It is never too late. I won't let you destroy this world!"

"Your hubris led you to believe I was broken but I am stronger than you could ever dream." I wouldn't fail. "Your time ends now, in this cycle."

He laughed derisively. "You do not rule time. I do!"

"But not this moment." In the infinitesimal sliver between conscious and unconscious thought dreams ruled.

I ruled.

My power imbued my words with bell-like clarity.

"Wake and see truth. Focus not on the dreams that hold false promise." Cronus screamed impotently as my magic swept his influence from their minds.

The sigils on my neck burned. "Dream of a world where gods walk not among men; of a world where the powers that once held reign over mankind crumbles into obscurity." I burned with each word. My voice faded as men began to dream us free from the Titan's tyranny.

Tek leapt to me, his lion once again a separate entity. It licked its bloody muzzle, rushing Cronus and taking him screaming into the shadow. I collapsed into Tek's arms, my voice gone.

My power was gone and his lion had left him. We were men once again, facing life as mortals without power.

We were together, just as I had dreamed.

The End

em>I hope you enjoyed this last chapter of Orphic Revelations. It was hard to end, but I hope I satisfied all the elements of the story for everyone. I hope you take the time to let me know what you think too!
Copyright © 2012 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator
On 12/13/2012 04:20 AM, DeroiBlandDavis said:
This started off really good and then ended a little on the weak side. Just rushed thats all. Still gets my vote though :)
Well this was always intended to be a very short story. I'm not quite sure what you felt was weak... the journey? The battle? It's hard for me; I have stories that I prefer to have as shorts but I know they could easily become novellas or larger. There's always some details that I could have shown that I can't in order to keep it short. However, I'm still glad you enjoyed the story and thanks so much for reviewing!
  • Like 1
Link to comment

really love the idea that the power of dreams is stronger than time itself, or at least, that's what i got out of the ending. That Nysion valued and desired a mortal life with the one he loved rather than the constant power struggle, and was happy at the loss of his power to have the dream life he'd wanted, really showed where his priorities were at. He saved the world, and got the happy ending, I love that. Great story Cia!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Ow, I missed this chapter, and just found it. I was so excited to see it end. I found it to be a poetic end, sort of like some dreams I get that really don't make sense when I explain them when I'm awake, but are really awesome and real in my sleep. I loved the characters and the concept. I'd have loved a bigger showdown at the end, but that's just me, I love your stories, and always want more. :) This was challenging I imagine, keeping it to 1000 words, there is so much detail that could go into this story. Considering the challenge,you did a great job of packing up all the emotion, action, and juicy karma story line within your 1k per chapter limit. I think I'd love to see a more fleshed out Orphic Revelations. That would be an awesome treat. Enough gushing, ^_^ thanks for another awesome read.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 12/22/2012 07:09 AM, lilansui said:
Ow, I missed this chapter, and just found it. I was so excited to see it end. I found it to be a poetic end, sort of like some dreams I get that really don't make sense when I explain them when I'm awake, but are really awesome and real in my sleep. I loved the characters and the concept. I'd have loved a bigger showdown at the end, but that's just me, I love your stories, and always want more. :) This was challenging I imagine, keeping it to 1000 words, there is so much detail that could go into this story. Considering the challenge,you did a great job of packing up all the emotion, action, and juicy karma story line within your 1k per chapter limit. I think I'd love to see a more fleshed out Orphic Revelations. That would be an awesome treat. Enough gushing, ^_^ thanks for another awesome read.
hey, I love the gushing. LOL A lot of people thought I should have fleshed this out more, but there are obvious challenges to writing flash pieces. I appreciate the understanding though. Thanks so much for always reading and sharing your thoughts.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I just read what the other reviews say and it really got me intrigued for the most parts. Even as the battle began, I was on edge of my seat, to read what happens next.. and then as I scrolled down, the words "THE END" came into view and I was a bit disheartened. You know I wouldnt call it a weak ending, just that like lilansui said, I wish there could have been a bit more of a battle. It was like it just started and ended already. Also, I woulda loved to read more about the fight Tek was involved in with .. that other Titan.. dont ask me to write his name lol..

But well, I really did love the concept! It was amazing, the fight against time and dreams :D Hey, I wanted to ask, is this Cronus that you mention, the same guy Kronos in Greek myths?? Coz he is the Titan too right? The son of Gaia .. I only know these from the Percy jackson book series I follow.. so I cant be very sure what is what :P

Great read.. Definitely Enjoyed!! :2thumbs:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/12/2013 08:35 AM, SidLove said:
I just read what the other reviews say and it really got me intrigued for the most parts. Even as the battle began, I was on edge of my seat, to read what happens next.. and then as I scrolled down, the words "THE END" came into view and I was a bit disheartened. You know I wouldnt call it a weak ending, just that like lilansui said, I wish there could have been a bit more of a battle. It was like it just started and ended already. Also, I woulda loved to read more about the fight Tek was involved in with .. that other Titan.. dont ask me to write his name lol..

But well, I really did love the concept! It was amazing, the fight against time and dreams :D Hey, I wanted to ask, is this Cronus that you mention, the same guy Kronos in Greek myths?? Coz he is the Titan too right? The son of Gaia .. I only know these from the Percy jackson book series I follow.. so I cant be very sure what is what :P

Great read.. Definitely Enjoyed!! :2thumbs:

See, it was done in the short amount of time. on purpose.. I guess the simplicity of the solutuion made it seem like a climactic let down, when I wanted it to be a moment of realization. Big confrontations aren't always my thing. I'm really glad you enjoyed the story anyway though, thanks for all the reviews!
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Wow! I loved the battle and the dialogue between the two men, but the fact that Nysion and Tek found love as mortals was also a plus. Awesome read girl! So glad I found this today. Made for a better day! :2thumbs:

Btw, glad the lion got a good meal also. :P

:worship:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..