Jump to content
    Circle
  • Author
  • 1,756 Words
  • 2,971 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Brotherly Love - 6. Chapter 6

An unexpected visitor.

If Edward had bothered to count, it was five years and seven months, or two thousand and thirty-seven days, before he had his first visitor. By now, he wasn’t expecting one. He thought he was forgotten, which explained the incredulous look he gave when a guard announced that someone had come for him. Finally. Should he be moved, or should he be angry? Moved, because he thought he was no longer a living person, irredeemable. Angry, because it took so long before anyone managed to pluck up their courage to visit. But still, he was curious about his visitor. ‘Please, God, let it be Tyler,’ he hoped.

The cloaked visitor exchanged a few words with the guard and appeared to be thanking him. In return, the guard nodded and whispered something in his ear. The visitor was not pleased and insisted, so the guard opened the gate and let him in. Edward still couldn’t see who the visitor was despite squinting his eyes and bending his head for a different angle, but he knew he hadn’t long to wait. The guard came in warily and closed the gate behind him, his eyes on Edward. The visitor seemed to stand there for a few seconds, as if unsure how to react, before removing his hood.

Even in a thousand years, Edward would never forget that face, and that slick, dark hair. Beneath the pair of black, selfish eyes, was a small nose, and although small, its ability to poke its way into other people’s businesses was astonishing for its size. Never in a thousand years, even if he had grown several pounds of muscles here and there, would Edward mistake his brother for anybody else.

Without thinking, or without needing to think, he lunged himself forward, grabbed Ronny by the collar and rammed him against the wall. He’d dreamed of this moment for years. The guard was quick to intervene, but not before Edward had hit his brother in the stomach with a closed fist. Ronny made a small noise of agony, but did not retaliate, push his brother away, or even dared to look him in the eyes. As far as Ronny was concerned, this was the least he deserved. The guard had trouble pulling Edward away and a second guard was called in with chains and restrainers. It was Ronny who, when he came in, told the guard that he believed no chains would be needed, that he thought it was not necessary. Maybe the guards would never trust such a request again.

Another minute later, Edward was successfully restrained, tied to one of the metal rings on a nearby wall. Now he couldn’t move. A guard slapped him, hard, across the face.

‘Stop!’ Ronny ordered.

The guards took a step back. Edward returned his attention to Ronny, along with his piercing gaze, telling him that nothing was forgotten, nothing was forgiven. Still, no words were exchanged yet, between the two. As children, they convinced themselves they were telepaths and could communicate without words. They even had their parents convinced. Maybe this was it. All Edward needed to say was in his unblinking eyes, and it conveyed clearly that, if Ronny was here because he wanted to humiliate him, then so be it.

Ronny felt a warmth rising through his throat. He knew what it was. Once it reached his mouth, despite instinct telling him otherwise, he decided against spewing it. With his left hand, he wiped the blood from the corner of his lips. His own blood tasted foul inside his mouth and he tried to swallow it all, trying to appear a brave and changed man. He swallowed without success. He turned away to spit out that foul taste.

‘Your Highness.’ One of the guards rushed forward, concerned.

‘Leave us,’ Ronny said. There was no strength, no authority, in his voice. But it was a tone guards were familiar with. It was a plead.

‘But…’

‘Please.’

The two guards exchanged looks, and went reluctantly away. Ronny had thought that privacy would give him the courage to speak, but it was not easy when Edward was there, doing his very best with his pair of eyes to let Ronny know that he was not welcomed. Ronny couldn’t make eye contact. He could feel his brother’s fury, anger and hatred for himself. It was written all over in this cell, not with writing, but presence. And his brother was barely recognisable. He was a creature of hatred, who had suffered beatings and indignities. Edward was a star before he came, and now he was a star with its light smothered. The contrast was too great. Had he done all that? Did it have to be all his fault?

Bringing the years of silence to a close, Ronny opened his mouth. ‘Edward…’

Silence.

Ronny looked up at his brother, for any signs he might be communicating with his eyes, but Edward was now deliberately facing away from him, as though he did not hear.

‘Edward,’ Ronny tried again. ‘I wanted to talk to you.’

Silence.

Why was Edward being like that, ignoring him on purpose? Where was the brother who loved him, who once rescued him from the bullies? The Edward Ronny saw now, in the cell, was more exhausted and ill than Ronny ever remembered. His bloodied prison clothes, his matt of unwashed hair, were sore sights and hard to digest. It was all his doing. So much emotion, so much childhood memory was coming back to Ronny now. He held back a tear, thinking that maybe Edward was ignoring him because of his choice of words. Ronny said he ‘wanted’ to talk to him, but it didn’t mean Edward had to grant him what he wanted. He was not obliged to fulfil the wants of his enemy and, in fact, he would never do it.

‘Edward,’ Ronny said. ‘I need to talk to you.’

Without turning to face Ronny, Edward replied coolly, at last, ‘Well, I don’t want to talk to you.’

The downward tone suggested that Edward had no inclination or desire to find out what happened in the palace. Surely there must be a part of him that cared still. The cold, unforgiving reply hurt Ronny all the more, but he knew it wouldn’t be a warm welcome at any rate. Part of him hoped it would be, though.

‘Edward. Look, I’m here because I’m sorry. I’m sorry about everything.’

‘Sorry?’ Edward sneered, finally turning to face Ronny. ‘You’re not sorry. Why should you be? You are going to be the next king. You aren’t sorry at all. You are a bigot like everyone else.’

‘Edward, I’m not like that –’

‘You know you are.’

Pause.

Ronny asked, ‘How can I convince you I’m not like the others? Would you –’

‘You can’t.’

Then he has made his mind up about Ronny, and nothing could be changed. Edward had five years to make up his mind, so why did Ronny believe he could change everything in a magical moment? But Ronny knew he was no bigot. Only he himself knew he was innocent in this accusation, and guilty in the rest. Even so, Ronny did not come here to make small talks. If Edward wouldn’t listen to him, he would say it anyway.

‘Father is very ill, Edward. We all missed you in the palace. Why didn’t you answer our letters? I’m…I’m really sorry about…everything. We all want you to come back.’

Silence.

Ronny had wondered whether bringing the small telescope, given to Edward in the altar so many years ago, would be appropriate to boost his sincerity on this matter. But it was too late now to think what might have been. It was time to grow up and be responsible.

‘If you change your mind, let us know…’ Ronny muttered before turning away, impatient to leave this humiliating silence.

‘Wait.’

Ronny turned, his hopes reignited.

‘You could have come five years ago. So, why now?’ Edward asked, as if the answers to which would finalise his judgement. ‘You got me trapped here for five years while you bathed in the luxury of your palace. Why should I believe, or forgive you?’

Ronny looked at him, sadly. He said, ‘I’m different now, Edward. I’ve grown up. I’m not that child anymore. Every night before I go to sleep, I pray, and ask you to forgive me. I was too much of a coward to come here, I guess. I can’t bear the thought of what I have done. Until you have forgiven me, I can never forgive myself. This whole thing is killing me. I...didn’t realise how much I needed you in my life. I didn’t know what came over me. Sometimes things are so obvious and so close that you just can’t see clearly. I just wanted my family back, Edward, just the way it was. I need you, Edward. I didn’t realise how important you were to me until you were gone. Silly me, really…’

Edward shook his head in disbelief. ‘It’s all about you, isn’t it?’ Edward fumed. ‘From the minute you walked into this cell, not once have you asked me how I’ve been for the past five years. Not once! You haven’t changed one bit. You are thinking about yourself, when you should be thinking about other people. You think the world is all about you, what you want in life and what you want from others. People like you always put their own needs first. So selfish, so self-serving, you would think no one else have a life. Why should I give you my forgiveness? Or, to put it more correctly, why should I give you anything? What have you ever done for me?’

The words were daggers to his ears and they sealed his crime, forever unforgivable. It didn’t take Ronny long to respond, for he already knew his answer.

‘Nothing,’ he replied, utterly defeated.

The words echoed in him still. He turned away and left the cell silently without looking back. Coming from Edward, it was all so true. He had never done anything for his brother, and never for a moment was he kind to his brother for the sake of being kind. He never knew Edward, or anyone, would care about these things. Maybe he was still a child, still that child, and he hadn’t changed at all. Once he was out of sight, he stopped, closed his eyes, and finally letting that tear roll down his cheek.

How selfish exactly is Ronny, particularly in the first few chapter?
Copyright © 2011 Circle; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

If I look at this real hard, I'd have to say that it isn't totally fair to blame it all on Ronnie. He was just a kid. A spoiled kid and ignorant -- but not evil. When extreme consequences result from immaturity however, thinking along these lines becomes far, far more difficult, but the fact remains: he was just a kid, and unaware of the shit he had stirred up.

 

That was to answer your question. If I was Edward I'd still have been mighty pissed, LOL.

 

Anyways. The way I see it, there's no point in reading stuff if it doesn't move me to the bone, and your story has been heart-wrenchingly poignant and totally worth my one hour of procrastination. Edward is righteous and brave, Ronny is irritating but totally relatable, their sibling relationship is completely convincing, and the philosophies you've written in your chapters have really made me stop and think, most notably the passage about Religion. It pains me to see Edward's life torn asunder by a simple snitch, and it awes me to how enduring his resolve is, and how much hatred he had retained and grown in the years spent in prison.

 

I'm super interested to see where this will go because there are so many things left unanswered. What happened to Tyler? What is the Queen thinking about? Has the King changed his opinion at all? And how the hell is Edward going to get himself out? And what would be his next move, if he did?

 

Amazing work mang. Can't wait for more!

 

 

 

PS: Tips on increasing readership: read and review other people's stuff lots, and start up a discussion thread for your story and update it whenever you post a new chapter!

Link to comment
On 02/20/2011 08:30 PM, Luc Rosen said:
If I look at this real hard, I'd have to say that it isn't totally fair to blame it all on Ronnie. He was just a kid. A spoiled kid and ignorant -- but not evil. When extreme consequences result from immaturity however, thinking along these lines becomes far, far more difficult, but the fact remains: he was just a kid, and unaware of the shit he had stirred up.

 

That was to answer your question. If I was Edward I'd still have been mighty pissed, LOL.

 

Anyways. The way I see it, there's no point in reading stuff if it doesn't move me to the bone, and your story has been heart-wrenchingly poignant and totally worth my one hour of procrastination. Edward is righteous and brave, Ronny is irritating but totally relatable, their sibling relationship is completely convincing, and the philosophies you've written in your chapters have really made me stop and think, most notably the passage about Religion. It pains me to see Edward's life torn asunder by a simple snitch, and it awes me to how enduring his resolve is, and how much hatred he had retained and grown in the years spent in prison.

 

I'm super interested to see where this will go because there are so many things left unanswered. What happened to Tyler? What is the Queen thinking about? Has the King changed his opinion at all? And how the hell is Edward going to get himself out? And what would be his next move, if he did?

 

Amazing work mang. Can't wait for more!

 

 

 

PS: Tips on increasing readership: read and review other people's stuff lots, and start up a discussion thread for your story and update it whenever you post a new chapter!

You must be a very compassionate individual indeed! Perhaps Ronny shouldn't have 100% of the blame (after all, the King had his prejudices and beliefs in the first place), but his part in it were huge. To Edward, because he didn't have a chance to know why Ronny did this to him, he could easily interpret this as some kind of malicious and bigoted act. More will be revealed in the next chapter as this story draws to a close. I already have a discussion thread, lol, just nobody uses it. And I'll certainly return the favour and read some of your works in the near future. Once again, thank you so much.
Link to comment

Forgiveness would be the last thing on my mind if I was Edward too although at thirteen, Robby did not realise the impact of what he did. Now that he does, he wants to be forgiven. I think also that he does not want the responsibility of the throne. He has his own little world that he lives in.

Link to comment
On 04/17/2013 01:19 AM, joann414 said:
Forgiveness would be the last thing on my mind if I was Edward too although at thirteen, Robby did not realise the impact of what he did. Now that he does, he wants to be forgiven. I think also that he does not want the responsibility of the throne. He has his own little world that he lives in.
Nope, Ronny doesn't want the throne :). The question is, is the desire for Edward's forgiveness something out of selfishness and of his own gain? Or is forgiveness something everyone deserves, no matter what they did?
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..