Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

1550 Loring Lane - 2. Chapter 2 - Cursed

@Gaygineer - "... I kinda wish I could turn it off."
This is by far the most autobiographical thing I've written for this site.

Chapter 2 – Cursed

“Ben, get your butt in the shower and get dressed this instant.”

“I think I’m coming down with something Jackie. I shouldn’t go and get everybody sick.”

“You’re not sick. You’re just trying to avoid this and I’m not letting you.”

“Really,” Ben whined and coughed unconvincingly. “I’m just feeling really out of it.”

Jackie Hudson put one hand on her hip and put a finger in her best friend’s pale face. “You are coming to my birthday party and that’s final.”

Ben Turner’s eyes pleaded with her but it wasn’t working. This was her birthday party and turning thirty was a pretty big deal. Her husband Phil had pulled out all the stops, renting the party room at their friends Guy and Ian’s apartment building. He’d made all the arrangements according to Jackie’s instructions. This was a big deal to her. Ben wasn’t getting out of it.

“All right, I’ll get ready,” Ben moped into his bedroom. As he looked for appropriate clothes, he figured he’d already dealt with the first third of his hated trifecta of torture. All he could think about this previous week was how horrible this would be. Ben had all kinds of party scenarios running through his head of all the things that could go wrong. He imagined accidently offending Phil, tripping and dumping his drink on Jackie’s mother, and of course meeting a cute guy and saying something stupid to him.

He didn’t like parties. Not at all.

First, he hated the Before which was when he anticipated doing all the wrong things. Then there was the During which was hell. During any large social gathering, he felt like he had ten thumbs and two left feet. Ben would stew the entire time about how to answer a question or what to ask other people. He just felt so awkward at these things. Sure, when it was just Jackie and Phil or Guy and Ian, he could just chat away without a problem. But, when he was in a larger group, it was just terrifying and not at all fun.

Ben thought it so strange when people talked about how much fun parties were. For him, they were torture.

Finally, he picked a nice yellow polo that made his green eyes look okay and some cool brown slacks. He picked out some matching socks and penny loafers. His one little rebellion from a bland and boring wardrobe was some sexy hot red silk boxers with little pink pigs all over them. It made Ben feel just a little naughty wearing something like this but knew nobody would ever see them anyway. As bad as parties were, talking to cute guys was even more terrifying.

Ben showered and dressed quickly; hoping Jackie wouldn’t bring up his problem. He’d finally told her a couple of weeks ago over a pitcher of sangria at a karaoke bar that was only half full. His anxiety was never a problem at a place like that, or at work for that matter. It was only when he felt he needed to make small talk and chat that his pulse raced, his face was perpetually blushed, and his stomach filled with bile.

“You look nice,” Jackie said with a smile and a big hug. “It’s going to be fun. You’ll know everyone there and it isn’t going to be wild or anything. It’s just some good food, nice conversation, and the comfort of close friends.”

Ben knew Jackie was trying to make him feel better about it, but in his mind’s eye, that combination was his worst nightmare. People he knew would come up and expect him to be sociable and he wouldn’t know what to say. Having people you know made it feel even more twisted because they’d remember all his weird faux pas. Like when he went to Guy and Ian’s wedding and slipped up big time. He’d mentioned Ian’s tattoo to his mother. It was obvious she didn’t know about it and he felt absolutely horrible even after Ian told him it wasn’t that big a deal.

He hated letting people down. Ben was mortified he’d say the wrong thing and people remembered things like that. He knew he did.

“Come on,” Jackie said linking his arm in hers. “Let’s get to the party. I’m so excited!”

Why did he get himself so worked up before these things?

“So, Guy’s bringing a friend with him,” Jackie said trying not to smile as they got in the car and took off.

“That’s nice,” Ben said and then suddenly it hit him. They were setting him up on a blind date. “You better not be doing what I think you’re doing.”

“It’s just a meeting Ben. It’s not a date. Settle down. We just thought it would be good for you.”

“How could you do this?” Ben gasped. His chest was constricting and his pulse was racing. “You know I can’t handle parties and then you set me up with some random guy too.” Ben thought he might throw up for real now, his stomach was so sour and rumbly.

“It’ll be fine,” Jackie said nodding her head. “It’s just a way for you to meet someone. How long has it been since you got laid?”

“Got laid? Who are you setting me up with? I’m about ready to hurl and you ask me about my sex life?”

“Relax. I’m not saying you’ll get lucky tonight. We’re just worried about you being alone all the time.”

Ben found himself grasping the car door handle. If she stopped, he could make a run for it. Hell, if she slowed down, he could just jump out and roll to a stop and run back to his safe and solitary apartment. All he wanted to do now was get back home.

“We’re almost there so just stop thinking about running away. If you run, I’ll catch you and drag you to the party anyway,” Jackie grinned. It was like she could hear Ben’s thoughts. Well, maybe it was just because she knew him so well.

When they got to the apartment complex, Jackie parked in the little pay lot across the street. Ben looked nervously at the ugly peeling white paint on the building and all his anxiety bubbled up from his gut. He could feel the discomfort of the Before burning in his throat. As Ben got out of the car and crossed the street he cursed his shattered nerves. Why did he have to care so much about what other people felt? It really was a curse. Quietly he mumbled to himself, “I wish I could turn it off.” He heard a snap in his left ear and looked down. Stupid twig.

***********************

The party was in the basement of this old, sixties style cement block eyesore but the space itself was pretty nice. It opened onto a courtyard with a couple of trees and some planters with fall flowers in them. Tables and benches were situated on the red brick patio and it was enclosed with a pretty gray fence that looked like it was built of cedar.

Ben was feeling much better than he had in the car. In fact, he felt pretty good. Ever since he’d walked onto the property, his stomach had settled down and his breathing had eased. Ben didn’t feel like running away into the night anymore. This wasn’t so bad.

“Ben, good to see you,” he heard his dear friend Guy say behind him. Ben prepared himself for this “set-up.” He expected his words would come out garbled and the poor unfortunate who they’d dragged to meet him would think he was a mental case. Oh well. It had been a long time since he’d even entertained the idea of a romantic interest. This could be fun.

Ben turned around and this tall guy with curly black hair smiled at him and reached out his hand. Ben smiled back and shook the cute guy’s hand firmly. As he looked more closely, he could see the man had thick bushy eyebrows and long dark lashes that looked almost unreal they were so pretty. His eyes were a lovely chestnut brown color and they seemed to twinkle in the low lighting of the party room.

“I’m Kevin. Nice to meet you, Ben right?” he spoke.

“Yeah, I’m Ben. Good to meet you as well. So how do you know Guy?”

“We work at the same office. I’m an assistant to one of the other architects and when Guy asked if I wanted to come, I thought why not. In fact, I live in this very building so it wasn’t even a trip to get here.”

Ben hadn’t really felt drawn to another man in quite some time. Sure, he’d watch some porn or think about his times with Doug or fantasize about that red haired guy down the hall, but for the most part it wasn’t real attraction. It was just garden variety lust. This felt different. It felt kinda like when he and Doug first met and started talking. It was like he was being pulled toward Kevin, like Kevin was a magnet or something. Without thinking about it, he stepped closer to him.

“Makes for an easy exit if you meet a hot guy,” Ben said looking deeply into those eyes. Kevin chuckled at his insinuation. “Think there’s anyone you see that you like?”

Kevin definitely saw something he thought was hot as he took in the smaller, slimmer man’s dimpled cheeks and pouting lips. But, he wasn’t going to go there. Not yet. Kevin had been burned a time or two and he’d promised himself he’d date, not pick up guys. Though this one was tempting…

“So, you’ve met our sweetheart Ben,” the two men were startled by a voice. Guy’s hubby Ian was smiling and leaned over to hug his friend. Ben returned the hug and looked back at Kevin.

“Where’ve you been hiding this one?” Ben said. “Saving the best for last?”

Ian’s smile widened. The Ben they knew wasn’t never this direct or openly flirtatious. Maybe their little homebody was spreading his wings. Ian noticed Guy had seen it too. His hubby was grinning as well. Good for Ben. The shy wallflower was so lonely. Maybe Kevin was just the thing he needed to find some companionship.

“No, we just got to know Kevin recently. He moved into a sublet here just a couple of months ago. Guy barely knew him at work, isn’t that right babe?”

“Yeah,” Guy said nodding his head and taking Ian’s hand. “I didn’t really know him but since he’s moved here, we’ve become friends. He’s quite the talented painter as well. Ben, you’re into art, right?”

Ben could see Kevin was blushing at the compliment. Guy and Ian were a couple of romantics. They’d tried setting him up with other guys but those guys didn’t seem right for him. Kevin, on the other hand, simply oozed sex and warmth. He’d love to see what was going on with this guy.

“You should show me your work. I minored in art history and love going to museums and shows,” Ben said putting a hand on Kevin’s arm. Kevin couldn’t help but react to this show of affection. He touched the other man’s shoulder and now they were almost embracing. Ben was giving off this sumptuous sense of sureness and self-confidence. This wasn’t what he was expecting.

Guy and Ian had told him Ben was a shy, reserved, and standoffish guy that wasn’t great in social situations. Actually Kevin kind of liked that in men. He felt protective and strong around guys like that but this wasn’t too bad either. Ben was moving into his space aggressively but he gave off a sense of warmth as well.

“I’d love to show you sometime,” Kevin said looking back at Ben.

“Cool,” Ben said and with a squeeze of the hand, let go of the other man’s arm. “Wanna get a drink?” Guy and Ian watched as the new Ben led Kevin to the bar. They saw him mix Kevin a drink and the two chatted easily together.

“Are you seeing what I’m seeing?” the two men heard Jackie ask from behind.

“I don’t know. Did someone leave a Pod person in Ben’s place?” Ian asked her.

“I don’t think so. He was his usual skittish self all the way over here. I had to practically drag him to my car.”

“Well, maybe something he saw in Kevin brought out his inner beast,” Ian said giggling. “I know Guy does that to me.”

Jackie and Guy laughed along with Ian and his wagging eyebrows.

It seemed everyone was having a good time. Ben and Kevin had been inseparable every time Jackie checked on her friend. Ben was coming out of his shell; that was apparent. She’d even seen the two outside in the moonlight kissing. That was so out of character for him, but it was good to see. About time he found someone special.

Around midnight, most everyone else had departed and Guy, Ian, Ben, and Kevin were helping Phil take down the decorations and wrap up the remnants of the food. She’d had a great thirtieth birthday party but she wanted to get Phil home, alone, with just her.

“Ben, are you ready to go?” Jackie asked pulling him aside.

“I don’t know. Maybe I have a date for the night,” Ben whispered back happily. “I’m gonna see if Kevin wants some company.”

Jackie was flabbergasted but if that’s what he wanted. She wouldn’t mind going straight home to meet her man.

Ben practically skipped over to where Kevin was putting the remaining liquor bottles in a box. She watched as Ben tugged on the taller man’s arm. He whispered something to him but Kevin just smiled and shook his head. Kevin said something back and Ben got an evil grin on his face, one Jackie had never seen on him before. He pulled harder on Kevin and said something else in his ear. Kevin turned bright red, Jackie could see that from where she stood and he shook his head again and kissed Ben on the lips.

Ben walked back toward her, his face beaming and he was laughing.

“What was that all about?” Jackie asked as he got closer.

“He’s got some ‘thing’ about not picking guys up. Too bad, he could have gotten lucky tonight.”

Jackie paused at Ben’s words. Odd. Definitely odd.

“Well, let’s get going then. I want to get home.”

“I’m ready,” Ben said and grabbed a box of decorations and followed her to the car. They put the last things in the trunk in silence. They got in the car and took off.

“So, seems like you met a really nice guy tonight,” Jackie said cheerfully.

“Yeah,” Ben said, looking out the window. “I guess.”

“Don’t be upset he didn’t want you to stay. In fact, that shows he’s not some scammer just out to get some cheap thrills,” Jackie said.

Ben was silent. He was still looking out the window. He sniffled.

“Ben, are you crying?”

“No,” Ben blubbered and hesitated. “Yes, I’m upset. I was such a moron back there. I can’t believe I was so pushy and crass. He won’t call me, not after what I just said.”

“What did you say to him?” Jackie asked. She was suddenly taken with how the old Ben was back. It was heartbreaking especially given how happy he’d been just moments ago.

“I can’t tell you. It’s too personal. I’m such a loser,” Ben cried and rubbed the tears from his cheeks. “This is why I hate parties. I always say the wrong thing. I fuck everything up.”

“I’m sure it’ll be fine,” Jackie cooed and patted his hand. “What did you say that was so bad? You can tell me.”

Ben looked down at his hands. His face was red with a mix of shame and distress. He could tell her. She wouldn’t think badly of him. They’d been friends for ten years and she’d heard all his bullshit never letting it change how she saw him. Might as well let her know, Ben thought.

“I asked if he’d like company for the night and he said he couldn’t do that. He wanted to go out with me first. Then I said to him … oh God, this is so embarrassing.”

“You said what to him?” Jackie asked using her mothering voice to calm him.

“I told him I’d do certain things to him… I’m such an idiot,” Ben sniffled again.

Jackie smiled to herself. Ben was always making a mountain out of a molehill. “So what? He knew you didn’t want to stay over at his house to bake cookies, did he? Kevin knew what you wanted. That isn’t so bad.”

“That’s not it,” Ben mumbled talking into his chest. “I told him I had talented feet.”

“What?” Jackie barked. “Why’d you say you had talented feet?” She was truly shocked. Not just that Ben had been so forward but why feet?”

“He kept looking at my feet. I kept catching him and I asked. He said he likes men’s feet.”

“That’s interesting,” Jackie said trying to reserve judgment. Then it dawned on her what Ben had suggested. Without meaning to, she laughed out loud.

“Now he’s gonna think I’m a guy with a fetish. Some kind of pervert or something,” Ben murmured again. “He won’t call.”

“If he’s the guy with the foot fetish, then he probably will call you,” Jackie choked back the laughter. “Don’t get yourself so worked up. He seemed to like you.”

“Lots of guys ‘seem’ to like me until they get to know me,” Ben said softly, still pouting.

“You wait. I bet Dr. Scholl calls you tomorrow to ask you out,” Jackie chuckled. “You put yourself out there and that’s okay.”

“I guess,” Ben groaned.

Now he’d have to deal with After, which was even worse than Before and During. “After” was when all the anxiety and discomfort from parties would flood back into his brain. He’d analyze and torture himself about the night’s events. Between the Before nervousness and the tension of During, After was the culmination of his social interactions.

Only tonight hadn’t been tense. Not at all. Ben realized as Jackie pulled up in front of his apartment building he’d just had a really good time. Sure, he was ruminating over every word he said to Kevin and worrying about how it had been taken, but he’d had fun tonight. He felt, well different.

It was a revelation.

Ben Turner had gone to a party and talked with people. He’d met a really hot guy and even made out with him. Ben Turner had fun with his friends. That had been amazing. This changed his attitude entirely. As he kissed Jackie goodbye and unlocked his front door, he was feeling hopeful. Maybe Kevin would call him. It was possible he hadn’t turned the guy off completely. There was something great going on, maybe.

And, the next day, almost exactly 18 hours later, Kevin called him.

*****************************************

Two weeks later…

“So, haven’t seen you for a while,” Jackie said looking at her nails. She rarely went more than a week without Ben calling to catch up. It had been four days and after playing phone tag for two of them, she’d finally got him to answer the phone. They’d texted of course, but talking to her friend was part of her life. It was good to hear his voice but even better to hear he was positively ecstatic. Ben was so radiant she could feel it over the phone.

“Kevin and I have been really busy. We went to Minneapolis Institute of Art last night and tomorrow night I’m cooking him dinner at his apartment. Jackie, he’s just the best. I can’t believe I finally met a decent guy,” Ben gushed.

“Spending a lot of time together?”

“Yeah, I’m at my apartment right now but I spend a lot of time at his place.”

“I’m glad. So, got any juicy details for your boring old married friend?”

“Well, he is into feet but it’s not really a fetish or anything. He just likes guy’s feet. It’s kinda cute really.”

“Dr. Scholl got any other kinks?” Jackie teased.

“No, we just have a great time together. He’s really sweet and I just don’t know how I got so lucky,” Ben said. He really was quite happy though at times he felt like he annoyed Kevin. But, that was to be expected with any new relationship. “I just hope he doesn’t get sick of me.”

“You’re a sweetheart yourself so it’s good to see you found someone decent. He’s getting to know the real you. He’ll love that guy,” Jackie said. That was her Ben, always worrying about the other person’s feelings. “Are you guys going to Guy and Ian’s next weekend? Their dinner parties are always so much fun. Phil and I got a sitter.”

“Oh yeah. We’ll be there. I am so glad I won’t be the fifth wheel. Kevin just adores those guys so we’ll be there.”

The two old friends chatted easily and soon Jackie said she had to go pick up her kids from daycare and school in that order. They’d see each other soon enough.

******************

A few days later, at 1550 Loring Lane, Apartment 312…

“I just want to make a toast thanking our wonderful friends for coming. We’re so glad to have people in our lives that are fun, loving, and genuine,” Guy said raising his glass of red wine. Everyone else raised theirs as well. Everyone knew Guy’s toasts could be long and involved. Jackie and Phil smiled politely as he continued.

“And to an amazing man who I’ve been with for over twenty years. Ian, we met at the Saloon all those years ago and…”

“Yawn,” Ben said loudly and took a swig from his glass.

All his friends turned and looked at him. Guy looked positively stricken with his mouth agape. He started again, “Ian and I met at a Sunday afternoon tea dance and…”

“God, I hate this sappy shit,” Ben said again. “Carry on,” he said turning and walked out of the dining room into the living room.

Jackie and Phil looked at each other in shock and awe. What the hell was that?

“I’m so sorry. Guy, Ian, I’ll go talk to Ben. Really, I’m sure he didn’t mean anything by it,” Kevin said breathlessly. He was red with embarrassment as he hustled out of the room.

“What was that?” Jackie demanded of Guy who was as dumbstruck as she was.

Guy looked so sad from Ben’s outburst. Ian was looking angrily toward their living room. Jackie could see he was furious for his husband’s sake. Phil was looking at her like she should have the answers. Nobody was as confused as Jackie herself.

“Well, I think we should thank Guy for some lovely vintages and Ian for an amazing meal,” Phil said trying to recover the moment. Jackie then realized why she loved her husband with all her heart. In a pinch, Phil would figure out some way to save the day.

“Um, thanks,” Guy said but he was still looking downcast.

Ian raised his glass and forced a smile, “Cheers to my love’s wonderful choices in wine.”

Phil started talking about the Vikings prospects. Guy joined in, half-heartedly, while Ian kept glancing toward the living room.

Ben appeared a moment later at the entrance of the dining room. Kevin was hovering behind him. He had a pensive, nervous look on his face. Jackie tried to encourage the poor man with a half grin. Ben simply sighed.

“I’m sorry I said that. It wasn’t a nice thing to say, or so I’ve been told.” Ben then smirked at the four of them.

“He’s really sorry,” Kevin said and poked his boyfriend. “He just had a bad day.”

Ben didn’t say anything else as they joined the others. Ian was still shooting daggers at Ben while Guy was avoiding looking at him at all. Jackie was thinking about how Ben had acted this whole evening. Ben had been snide and sarcastic which was unlike him, unless it was just the two of them. Together, Jackie and Ben could be as catty as a couple of drag queens fighting over a wig. In a group, Ben wouldn’t say a peep about another person. At least, the old Ben wouldn’t have.

What had happened?

Jackie considered the facts at hand. Ben was a pussycat, well one with claws, but wouldn’t have done such a thing a month ago. The only difference between Ben now and Ben in the past was one thing; Kevin. Did Kevin’s influence change Ben into this nasty bitch? That didn’t seem likely. It had been Kevin who had turned red and chased after Ben. It had been Kevin who persuaded Ben’s half-hearted apology. Kevin was still watching a pouting Ben who was slouched in his chair.

Was it Ben in love that was the problem? No. When Ben and Doug had been together, it wasn’t like Ben was a raging lunatic in social settings. Jackie was at a loss. Maybe, she’d have a chat with Kevin. This was weird and seemed completely out of control. How could this happen?

“Listen,” Ben said sitting up. “I didn’t mean to piss everyone off. It was just a little joke.”

When no one responded, he shrugged and walked off presumably to the bathroom.

All four turned to Kevin and the question in their eyes was demanding. Kevin felt himself shrink under their scrutiny. Finally, he looked at Jackie, who seemed more perplexed than pissed. She looked at her husband, then Guy and Ian, and grabbed Kevin’s arm dragging him into the other room.

“What’s going on?” Jackie asked fiercely. “I’ve never know Ben to go off like that.”

“I don’t know,” Kevin said hesitantly. “At first, Ben seemed like the greatest guy. He was so sweet and kind but over the past few days he’s getting kinda weird. He’ll be his usual warm self and then suddenly, he’s just cold. It’s hard to explain but he just doesn’t seem to care about anyone but himself.”

“That doesn’t sound like my Ben,” Jackie said. “Like what for example.”

“Well, last night I was cooking dinner and I got distracted playing Candy Crush on the IPad. I burnt the chicken and he just went off on me. Ben said I was always doing stupid things like that. He said half the time my food sucked. It was crazy. Finally, when he settled down, we went out to eat down at Sweet Nora’s. It was so strange. He’d been so mean but once he got to the restaurant he was his usual loving, dorky self.”

“Odd,” Jackie said. “I know he has trouble with social situations but I’ve never seen it like this.

“It was crazy. Our waitress was quite obviously pregnant and he was so concerned about it he gave her an extra ten dollar tip.”

“That sounds like the old softy. He just slipped it under the bill didn’t he?” Jackie said smiling about her Ben.

“Yeah, but that’s when it gets weird again. We got back to my place and he started going off about her. He was ranting about how stupid women were to get knocked up when they couldn’t support a kid. I mean, he was really calling her some terrible names,” Kevin said.

Jackie could see he was very troubled and gave him a quick hug.

Kevin said in her ear, “I don’t know if I can take this. It’s like I’m dating Jekyll and Hyde or something. One minute, he’s this thoughtful and sometimes awkward guy that’s so endearing and lovable. The next, he’s this crude asshole who couldn’t care less how anyone, hell even me, feels about things. It’s nuts.”

Jackie chewed her lip thoughtfully. She knew this had something to do with Ben’s social anxiety and how he was dealing with it. But, what could it be? It’s not like someone could just wave a magic wand or grant him three wishes and make it better. Ben was dealing with his problem in an unhealthy way and the best guy he’d ever starting dating was gonna pull the plug on them. She had to do something.

“Talk to him with me,” she said finally. Kevin had a scowl on his face but as he began to think about it, his eyes softened. He really did like Ben. Most of the time, the guy was great. It was just the times like tonight that he couldn’t handle it. Kevin liked Guy and Ian and after this, would they think he was the cause of Ben’s outburst?

“Okay. But if he doesn’t want to work on his anger issues, I’m outta here,” Kevin said. Jackie nodded and they noticed Ben had emerged from the dining room and was looking at them coldly.

“Hey sweetie. Feeling better?” Jackie asked.

“I wasn’t feeling bad in the first place. Talking about me?” Ben asked his voice ice cold and eyes hard as diamonds, or maybe emeralds.

“We were planning a little outing in a couple of days. You, me, and Kevin are going to have a chat.”

“A chat,” Ben snorted. “A chat about what?”

“A chat about you,” Kevin said. There were warning tones in his voice and for the first time that night, Ben looked a little scared.

“Okay,” he said looking back and forth between Kevin and Jackie. “I’m always up for talking with my best friend and my main squeeze.”

For a moment, Ben looked more like his old self. The moment passed quickly and soon he was whining about getting back to Kevin’s apartment. Kevin agreed and they left without saying goodbye to the rest.

Jackie went back into the dining room and was assaulted by questions. She calmly explained Ben’s anxiety issues. Then, she told them about Ben’s other outbursts. Finally, she assured them it would be handled, one way or another. Guy and Ian seemed to have forgiven Ben for now. Her husband wasn’t buying her promises. She just kissed him lightly and told him to let it go. Phil shrugged it off but he wasn’t happy. They had both known Ben since college and he didn’t like this side of the guy. It was something new and Phil didn’t like it. Not at all.

Three days later, Jackie showed up at seven o’clock at Kevin’s apartment. Ben was there, sulking in the living room playing with the remote. Jackie pulled Kevin into the kitchen.

“Has he gotten any better?”

“No. He’s worse. I don’t think this is going to work. I’m about done with him. He’s being even more belligerent. Then, he bursts into tears over nothing. He’s mean and spiteful and then starts begging me for forgiveness. It’s driving me up the wall,” Kevin finished in a rush.

“Please. Let’s just talk to him. Give him one more chance,” Jackie said, her eyes laced with tears. This was hard. This was so hard to watch.

“Hi Ben,” she said lightly walking into the living room. Ben was staring at the television with his lips pursed. He looked positively miserable and Jackie wanted to make it all better. But how?

“What are we talking about?” Ben finally asked as Jackie sat in a chair and Kevin sat next to him.

“We’re talking about your problems with people,” Jackie said, drawing deeply from her mothering reservoir to stay positive, strong, and reassuring but firm. “You’re not handling things very well lately.”

“I’m just fine. Everyone is just being such a dick to me,” Ben said picking at the couch arm.

“Just an hour ago you were screaming at me about the remote. Then you started crying and saying you were sorry. Now you’re just a sullen jerk,” Kevin said. Ben grimaced and then looked at him, annoyed.

“Ben, calm down. We’ve got to get to the bottom of this,” Jackie said quietly. Ben closed his mouth and sat back again.

“I’m sorry I’ve been so edgy lately. I don’t know what’s wrong with me,” Ben said. Silent tears were tracing down his cheeks. “I thought I could control it. I can’t do it.”

“What do you mean; you thought you could control it?” Jackie asked, looking perplexed.

“I thought I could just not care sometimes and it would be okay. I thought I could be more social and more fun if I just didn’t give a shit sometimes but it’s not working,” Ben said and looked up at Kevin. “I feel dead inside sometimes. I feel empty and I can’t stop it. Then, I just explode. I’m sorry Kevin. This is too weird.”

“I’m willing to help but you can’t yell at me and expect me to take it,” Kevin was crying now too.

“I know. I can’t do it.”

Jackie didn’t know what that meant. Why did Ben keep saying that he ‘can’t do it?’ What was this all about?

Kevin’s tears continued to flow but he just couldn’t be part of this anymore. Obviously, Ben wasn’t willing to try. If Ben thought he couldn’t control his temper, what chance did they have?

“Ben, I don’t think this is working out,” Kevin’s voice cracked. He felt his heart seize up but what choice did he have.

“You’re dumping me?” Ben asked and the terror in his voice filled the room. “Oh my God no,” and he lowered his head and cried openly.

“I’m sorry Ben. I really like the sweet, kinda dorky Ben. But I just can’t stand the mean, bitchy one,” Kevin choked out.

“Oh, God, I wish I would just go back to normal. Please, oh please, just let me go back to that,” Ben called up to the ceiling. His crying was interrupted by the sound of a crack in his right ear. Ben felt something change.

Jackie wanted to take them both in her arms because her heart was breaking too. This wasn’t how it was supposed to be. She thought Ben would get some counseling and deal with his problems. Instead, the one guy who was good for him was now dumping him. There was nothing but despair in this room right now. She noticed Ben had an odd look on his face suddenly. What was going on?

Ben’s first feeling was his own emotions pouring into his head. Then, he began to feel Kevin’s sadness wash over him. Jackie’s empathy spilled into his heart. It had been so long since he felt this. It was a terrible but familiar feeling.

“Kevin, I’m sorry I hurt you,” Ben reached over and pulled the taller man to him. His warmth embraced him and Kevin felt something different in this embrace. This was more like the embrace they’d first shared. This wasn’t like the past week and a half when Ben’s touch felt so cold and lifeless. This was the touch of care and concern.

“Jackie, I’m sorry I hurt you too,” Ben lifted his head. His eyes were warm. There was real emotion in them and Jackie realized that this Ben was her Ben. These eyes could be sarcastic or silly, cunning or concerned. They weren’t like the cold, distant eyes of the Ben she’d seen at Guy and Ian’s. Ben seemed to be back.

Ben was back and he couldn’t be more awkward and dopey. The side that Kevin fell for was back and with even more fear and love. Ben knew what happened in that moment but he’d never tell Kevin. However, he could tell Jackie and so a week later he did. She listened, not really understanding, and that was all that was needed. Whatever had been messing around with her friend’s emotions had came and went.

After her talk with Ben, she went home and started some laundry. Phil came up behind her and squeezed her tightly.

“How’s everything?”

“Good. Ben’s much better. He and Kevin are falling head over heels for each other.”

“That’s good. What happened that night at Guy and Ian’s?” Phil mused. He was munching on Jackie’s ear. He wanted to get some kisses in before the kids needed to be picked up.

“Ben seems to think he was put under a magic spell or something. The spell allowed him to bottle up his feelings of insecurity but then they’d just come bursting out at random times. Sounds crazy right?” Jackie said leaning into Phil’s embrace.

“You know, that place Guy and Ian live in is supposed to be haunted. Or,” Phil stopped kissing his wife. “Maybe a genie lives there and granted him three wishes.”

Jackie looked up. A smile spread across her face. Could that be it? It sounded weird but the transformation she’d seen Ben go through had been so extreme. Three wishes. The first was for Ben to control his emotions. The second was to let them go again. Then, another thought came into her head.

She knew what Ben’s third wish was. Right now, Ben’s third wish was in his arms.

Next week, I'll continue with the Twitter prompts with something special. Something with some gingham in it I think. That would be nice. Friends of Dorothy and all.
Copyright © 2017 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I don't think any of us can think straight being gay and all. but I am loving this, hope to beta for the next chapter soon.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

You captured the feeling of social anxiety well. I am so glad that whatever hold was put on Ben was broken and he and Kevin were able to repair their relationship.

Link to comment
On 05/27/2014 09:23 PM, Valkyrie said:
You captured the feeling of social anxiety well. I am so glad that whatever hold was put on Ben was broken and he and Kevin were able to repair their relationship.
Thanks. The guy I was talking to about his issues thought it captured how he felt. I like Ben and wanted him happy! :)
Link to comment

Genie with three wishes...if only that´d happen in real life, too :P But as what happened to Ben showed us, it wouldn´t be always harmless :/

Link to comment
On 07/01/2014 03:22 AM, Suvitar said:
Genie with three wishes...if only that´d happen in real life, too :P But as what happened to Ben showed us, it wouldn´t be always harmless :/
Hahaha! Yeah! Be careful what you wish for. Thanks so much for the review Suvitar!
Link to comment

A strange story really. But i did identify with the social awkwardness and the fear and dread of party gatherings. I still feel that way myself and avoid such if possible. Love the one on one but don't put me in a situation where I have to mix. I want to run and hide. I suppose I'm not into the idea of some supernatural genie thing, no matter how much fun it might be to think of the possibilities. Spoil sport! Feel a little like Ben in bad rude mode! Haha! Ah well, can't win em all they say.

Link to comment
On 07/21/2014 06:24 AM, Jaro_423 said:
A strange story really. But i did identify with the social awkwardness and the fear and dread of party gatherings. I still feel that way myself and avoid such if possible. Love the one on one but don't put me in a situation where I have to mix. I want to run and hide. I suppose I'm not into the idea of some supernatural genie thing, no matter how much fun it might be to think of the possibilities. Spoil sport! Feel a little like Ben in bad rude mode! Haha! Ah well, can't win em all they say.
It is a strange story, but it's my experimental stuff. You never know! I love the slightly supernatural. That's what I'm playing around with. Lol! No, you can't win them all!
Link to comment

Excellent. Really a good story. I love stuff that has that mysterious edge to it, but also addresses real concerns in people's lives. Ben was like an awful lot of people out there, struggling to find himself and some happiness to go with it. A little bit of contrast can go a long way to opening one's eyes, and he got the full measure in this one. Good for Kevin, willing to try again.
I like this apartment building so far. Haunted? Maybe. But even ghosts understand love.

Link to comment
On 01/31/2017 10:38 AM, Geron Kees said:

Excellent. Really a good story. I love stuff that has that mysterious edge to it, but also addresses real concerns in people's lives. Ben was like an awful lot of people out there, struggling to find himself and some happiness to go with it. A little bit of contrast can go a long way to opening one's eyes, and he got the full measure in this one. Good for Kevin, willing to try again.

I like this apartment building so far. Haunted? Maybe. But even ghosts understand love.

You're inspiring me to get a couple more stories added. I love this character cuz he's a lot like me. Of course, he's like lots of people. There is more haunting to come. Thanks for reading.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..