Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

1550 Loring Lane - 5. Chapter 5 - GGL

@CharmingBromo “I have a clumsy heart.”

Chapter 5 – GGL

 

Jared threw his coat in disgust as he walked through the front door of his apartment. He was furious with himself for once again awkwardly just watching Scott from afar instead of actually talking to him. He felt the familiar wetness on his cheeks and wiped the tears away. Why couldn’t he get over his nerves and just walk up to the guy and talk? It’s not like they hadn’t met before, they had.

Jared went into the kitchen and put on the kettle. He needed something to settle himself down and a nice hot toddy would take the edge off. As he waited for the water to boil, he thought about his night. What a fricking disaster he was at social functions. Jared was just too damn shy at these things.

His best work friend, Karen, had a party, invited him and he’d gone. It was mostly people he didn’t know but she had introduced him, again, to her gorgeous, gay, and available brother. Scott was just too delicious and Jared couldn’t get away from him fast enough. The entire night he’d stood in the corner sipping a beer and watching as Scott did the same thing.

It was such bullshit.

Sure, he could go out to the bars and get falling down drunk into bed with a guy. But he was over that. He was almost twenty four for heaven’s sake and he wanted something more. From the way Karen talked, her brother did too. So why was he so tongue-tied and anxious around guys he was interested in?

Jared poured the whiskey in the mug, squeezed a couple squirts of honey, and reached into the fridge for an apple. As he peeled it, he thought about his dilemma. He normally wasn’t a shy guy. Jared joked and laughed with people all the time. He just couldn’t talk to someone he was actually interested in. He turned red, his throat closed up and he found himself on the other side of the room.

And, he was almost twenty-four and never had a relationship. “Grow up,” he said to himself throwing a couple of apple wedges into the mug. Jared chomped thoughtfully on the rest of the apple and heard the kettle whistle. If only there was someone to teach him how to talk to men. That was his problem. After pouring in the boiling water, he sat at his kitchen table and opened the first thing he saw, the local queer newspaper.

As he waited for his drink to steep, he looked over the articles not seeing anything that really interested him. Then, like an answer to his prayers was an ad. As he read what it said, he wondered. Grabbing his IPad, he looked up the website. GGL4U.com was the address and it didn’t look too bad. At least there weren’t a bunch of impossibly handsome naked men beckoning to him.

Jared wiped a tear as he considered his problem. Maybe they could help him. He was so tired of being alone and Scott was so handsome. Just a little pointer or two wouldn’t hurt. Jared began entering in his information registering at the site. Why not give it a try?

Meanwhile, two days later and about a mile away….

“Honey, I got my first assignment,” Colin called out from the kitchen. He scurried into the living room to see his hubby curled on the couch reading the newspaper. Wes merely grunted and pushed his reading glasses up his nose.

“Did you hear me? I got called for my first mentee,” Colin said tapping his foot to get his attention.

“That’s nice,” Wes said without looking up.

“It’s a very nice young man about twenty three years old and he has trouble talking to guys,” Colin said sitting on the couch and patting Wes’ arm.

“Sounds wonderful,” Wes said and turned the page.

“I’m going to arrange our first session,” Colin said sitting back and sighing. “This is so exciting. I really love doing volunteer work.”

“Good for you,” Wes said screwing up his face and holding the paper out.

Colin watched as his man intently read the paper. He scowled at how Wes ignored him when he talked.

“I think giving back to the community is important,” Colin said touching Wes’ leg.

“Yeah, it’s very important,” Wes said abstractly and squinted at the print.

“I’ll go right now and see when he wants to meet,” Colin said getting up.

“Sounds like a plan,” Wes said and turned the page, once again peering intensely.

Colin snorted. He’d teach his hubby a lesson. “Then, I’m going to dress up in lingerie, put on my shoes with the goldfish swimming around in them, and take him to a truckstop.”

“That’s great,” Wes said, groaning at something he read.

“Oh, you’re impossible,” Colin left in a huff.

Wes smiled as the love of his life left the room. He loved tormenting the guy. However, he was a bit worried about this so-called volunteer work. Colin tried so hard to help others. He just wasn’t very good at it. One time, he helped the Toys for Tots and forgot to close the back of the pickup. An entire mile of 42nd Street looked like a massacre of dolls, books, and children’s clothing.

Wes chuckled as he remembered when Colin volunteered them to help serve Thanksgiving dinner at the mission. Colin had bumped the knobs on the oven turning it to 500 degrees. Three turkeys were victims of that cremation incident. Colin had been so upset at what he’d done.

Wes just hoped this wouldn’t be as bad. Maybe it would be different now, after all that had happened. But, having Colin help was always a disaster. That was something Wes was pretty sure about. He’d be there to pick up the pieces at least. In his heart, Colin really meant well. He really did.

The next week at Jared’s apartment at 1550 Loring Lane…

“The art of seduction is really quite simple,” Colin instructed. “First you need to get their attention. Then, you capture their interest. Finally, you show how you feel. It’s really not that difficult.”

Jared had invited Colin to coffee and after talking with him for a while, felt comfortable enough to invite the older man to his apartment. The two men were sitting in Jared’s living room talking about how to meet guys. He wasn’t sure how this fifty year old man was going to help but considering his track record, Jared figured it couldn’t hurt.

“I’m not sure I’m really trying to seduce him,” Jared said haltingly.

“Of course you are. That’s what meeting a significant other is all about,” Colin said nodding his head. “I figured it out and when I meet Wes, that’s my husband of twenty three years, he didn’t stand a chance.”

“If you think that’s what I need to do,” Jared sounded doubtful.

“Yes. That’s what the mating dance really is sweet boy. It’s the art of seduction. Now, first things first. When will you get a chance to see this Scott person again?”

Jared thought for a minute. “Probably at Karen’s birthday party which is next week.”

“Perfect. Let’s see what you’ve been using as bait,” Colin sat back and patted his thighs. “Put on the party clothes you wore last time.”

Jared started to get up and then turned. “Really? You want to see what clothes I wore?”

“Yes. Let’s see what you’ve been doing to catch this man’s eye.”

Jared shrugged and went into his bedroom. He put on his black jeans and black turtleneck sweater. He slipped on his favorite Keds and went out to the living room.

“Oh dear,” Colin said as Jared emerged from his bedroom. “Are you trying to get a guy’s attention or be a cat burglar?”

“What’s wrong with what I’m wearing?” Jared asked, feeling a little annoyed.

“Nothing if you’re trying to slip past the guard post at a military compound. Sweetie, you need to display the goods, tastefully of course, but don’t dress like you’re hiding from the police,” Colin literally clucked his tongue.

“Nobody’s ever complained about my outfits,” Jared pouted.

“Of course not. They may have not even noticed you were there,” Colin said. “Now show me what else you’ve got.”

Jared gestured for Colin to follow and when they got into his bedroom he sat on the edge of the bed. Colin went straight to his closet and rustled through the clothes.

“Not that. No, too casual. No, that won’t work. Oh, perfect,” Colin said and turned with a flourish. Along one arm he presented a bright blue satiny shirt with long sleeves. Jared had never worn it. He figured it was way too gay.

“Are you sure?” Jared asked looking closely at Colin. The older man nodded enthusiastically and Jared figured he’d give it a try. He pulled off the black turtleneck and slipped on the blue shirt.

“Oh, that’s much, much better,” Colin cooed as he looked the man over.

“I don’t see how wearing this shirt will make a difference,” Jared said looking down at himself.

“Let me show you,” Colin said pushing Jared toward the full length mirror on the back of his door. “See how the color brings out the blue in your eyes. Also, this color makes your skin simply glow. And, it’s a very beckoning material that will make people want to touch you. Actually, this will get Scott running his fingers up your arm and probably more…”

Jared blushed at the thought of Scott’s touch and he could see what Colin was talking about. His eyes did pop. His face looked more pleasing and it was a very soft material. Jared hadn’t ever worn this shirt because he worried it would feel weird, and it did. But, it didn’t feel weird in a bad way. It felt almost slutty, well sexy at least.

“Okay, I’ll try it,” Jared smiled. “Thank you for your help.”

“You are very welcome sweetie. I’m just happy I can help.”

“Why are you doing this for me?” Jared asked.

“I’m just trying to help you out a little. I was so excited when the Gay Godfathers League called and told me about your problem,” Colin said beaming.

“I wasn’t sure having a gay godfather was such a good idea, but you’re so cool. You’re pretty cool for an old…I mean a mature guy,” Jared caught himself.

Colin just chuckled at the younger man’s comment and said his goodbyes.

*******************

Colin was trying to arrange some flowers for the dinner party with some others when he heard the phone jingle. The white roses kept trying to jump out of the vase and the red carnations wouldn’t stay put. Why did they have to be so difficult?

“Can you get that? My hands are full,” Colin called into the living room. Wes, his nose buried in a book, merely grunted at his husband voice. The phone kept ringing so Colin snorted and pushed the leather leaf green to the side. The vase tumbled over with a crash, flowers, leaves, and water splashed everywhere.

“Fine, I’ll get that,” a frustrated Colin said looking at the broken stems and cracked vase. “Typical.”

“Hello?” he answered.

“Can I speak with Colin?” a polite young male voice asked.

“Speaking,” Colin said wiping his wet hands on the front of his trousers.

“Oh, hi. It’s me Jared.”

“Jared. How are you? How did the party go?” Colin asked smiling to himself.

“I don’t know. It was pretty weird at first,” Jared’s voice was hesitant and soft.

“Weird how?” Colin said grimacing. Uh oh. This didn’t sound good.

“Well, you were right about one thing. I got more attention,” Jared said with a hitch in his voice.

“Yeah. Did Scott notice you?”

“Not at first. The girls at the party really loved my shirt and kept touching me and stuff. It was pretty embarrassing. Then, after a while Scott came over and, well, I don’t know,” Jared sighed.

“So he did notice you huh?” Colin said and looked up. Wes was scowling at him and looking at the broken vase. Colin covered the phone and mouthed, “Clean that up.” Wes looked at him, let out a deep breath and gathered the flowers out of the wreckage. He walked them into the kitchen.

“Yeah. That’s my other problem. Now Scott noticed me and I was too tongue-tied to say anything to him. It was so awkward. I’m so awkward,” Jared said.

“Sounds like a job for your gay godfather,” Colin said grinning again. “Let’s get together and I’ll give you some pointers.”

Wes returned with the garbage can and was picking up the pieces of glass from the vase. He hummed a little tune as his husband finished on the phone. ‘Who is Colin talking to?’ he wondered.

By the time Colin had hung up the phone, Wes had the flowers in a different vase and sitting in the middle of the table. The red and white flowers were arranged in a perfect spread with little bits of green in between. The array was exquisite.

“Who was that on the phone?” Wes asked pausing on his way back to his book.

“Just my volunteer work,” Colin said and picked at the flowers a little. “These look nice. How do you get them to stay in the right place?”

“I don’t know,” Wes said and laughed to himself. Colin was such a mess. But, the guy had a great big heart and was always trying to help others. Too bad it turned out so badly. Like the time Colin had volunteered to send the donation requests for the local animal shelter and forgot to insert the donation form. Or, that time he was supposed to deliver gift baskets to shut-ins on Easter and the cart rolled into the street and got hit by a tow truck. But, maybe it would be different now.

“Well, I’m off to help Jared,” Colin said kissing Wes on the forehead.

Wes grunted and returned to his book.

******************************************

“I just can’t talk to guys I’m interested in,” Jared whined. “I can’t think of what to say or even worse when I do talk I sound like an idiot.”

“Everyone gets that way,” Colin said. “Don’t think it’s just you. I remember when I first met Wes the first thing out of my mouth was gibberish.”

“But, you got him to ask you out at least,” Jared said sadly. “I can’t even get Scott to notice me.”

“He noticed you at the party, didn’t he?”

“Yeah, but then I’m such a dork,” Jared moped.

“Well, he probably feels the same way you do,” Colin said. “You’ve got to remember, if you really are attracted to someone, you feel anxiety. He’s probably as tongue tied as you are.”

“How do I even know he feels that way about me?”

“What does he do when he looks at you?” Colin asked.

“He smiles. Actually, he gets a really goofy grin on his face and his eyes get wider or something.”

“Then he likes you, a lot,” Colin chuckled. “That’s a sure sign someone is into you.”

“I don’t know…” Jared said but he now had a little smirk on his lips.

“He’s probably thinking the same thing as you are,” Colin said. “He’s probably thinking ‘how can I get that hunky Jared to ask me out.”

“Naw. You think so?” Jared asked. That had never occurred to him. He thought if Scott liked him, he’d just ask him out.

“You know, when I met Wes, I was waiting for him to ask me on a date. We met at least five times before I finally got the courage to ask him to go to a movie with me.” Colin said.

“I guess I always thought he’d ask me out,” Jared said. “I don’t have the guts to do it.”

“It’s hard for us gay guys because traditionally a guy asks a girl out on a date,” Colin explained. “With two guys, someone’s got to be the aggressor. Sometimes, both guys are just waiting for the other to ask. Wes and I still laugh about how long it took us to go out together.”

“I’m just too shy to do it,” Jared said but he was looking more hopeful. “What if he says no?”

“Then you’ll know,” Colin said. “Now you’re just beating yourself up wondering. But, I’m pretty sure if he has a goofy grin and sparkling eyes when he sees you, he’s thinking the same things you are.”

Jared thought about it and started to blush. If Scott thought the same things he did, oh don’t think about it. The things he imagined doing with Scott weren’t exactly nice. At least, his thoughts weren’t too nice at night when a washcloth and the hand lotion were involved.

Colin noticed the blush and grinned. He hoped this little pep talk would do the trick. Jared was such a sweet guy.

*********************

When Colin got home, Wes was watching the evening news. He got his coat off and plopped on the couch next to him. “Anything interesting?”

“No. How’d your little project go?” Wes asked.

“Good. I think Jared is going to ask this guy Scott out,” Colin said happily.

“What kind of project are you doing?” Wes asked turning to his husband. “I thought you were helping some kid find himself. I didn’t know you were actually talking to them, meeting them.”

“Yes you did,” Colin said with a sigh. He’d told Wes about this but the man never listened to him. “I’m in the Gay Godfather League. The point is to help young men deal with the emotional issues around dating.”

“You’re doing what?” Wes exclaimed.

Colin looked askew at Wes. “I told you about this. It’s just some life coaching and…”

“You’re going to some twenty-something guy’s house and talking to him about sex,” Wes’ voice was no longer level.

“We don’t talk about sex, per se, we talk about how to date and meet other guys.” Colin was now nervous.

“What is this thing called?” Wes demanded.

“It’s the Gay Godfather League. It’s based on the idea we gay men don’t really have the emotional experience surrounding dating and…”

“Did you talk directly to this guy?” Wes asked, his cheeks getting red.

“Well, I guess…but it’s okay, I swear, it wasn’t weird or anything,” Colin stuttered.

“Do you know how much trouble we could get in for this?” Wes shouted. “We aren’t supposed to do things like this. You must completely cut off all contact.”

Colin fidgeted on the couch and watched as Wes stormed out. Wes had a point. They weren’t supposed to do things like this. If the others found out, it could be a problem. “I was just trying to help,” Colin whispered to himself as a tear ran down his cheek.

****************************

Two weeks later…

“So I really want you to meet my gay godfather,” Jared said drying the dishes that his new boyfriend Jeff had washed.

“I’d love to meet him. It was so cool of him to coach you like that. I never would have had the guts to ask you out without hearing the story,” Jeff said brushing a lock of his blond hair out of his eyes.

The two guys had been thick as thieves since the night of the party. Jared had approached Jeff’s coworker Scott to ask him out and he’d laughed at the dark haired man. Then Scott proceeded to tell every one of his friends about this loser who’d asked him out.

Jeff had been furious. He was shy himself and could only imagine how embarrassed this Jared guy must be feeling. After Scott finished trashing Jared to everyone, Jeff went over and spoke to the man.

“I’m sorry about Scott,” Jeff said. “I never knew he was such an ass before.”

“Yeah, well, I think I should just go,” Jared said and Jeff could see the guy’s lashes were sparkling with tears.

“Don’t let him chase you off. I think you’re a pretty handsome guy. I don’t know why he thought it was so weird that you asked him out. You put yourself out there and that’s cool,” Jeff said trying to get Jared to look up at him.

“I didn’t think it would work like Colin said it would,” Jared pouted.

“Who’s Colin?” Jeff asked curiously.

“He’s this guy who’s been life coaching me. You know, give me pointers on dating and…God I sound like a loser,” Jared choked.

“Not at all,” Jeff said. “I would be too afraid to ask a guy out. That’s why I’m alone.”

“Yeah, well Colin said someone’s got to be the aggressor. Gay guys have to just lay it out there and not wait for the other one to ask,” Jared looked up and smiled at Jeff. Jeff thought the man had the nicest smile. It was the kind of smile he could get used to.

“How about you and me go out sometime?” Jeff asked feeling far braver than usual.

“You…you’re asking me out?” Jared asked in wonder. “You wanna go out with me?”

“Yeah, or is that too weird given I work with Scott and…”

“I’d love to go out with you,” Jared said laying his hand on Jeff’s. “That would be great.”

“Good, then how about tomorrow night we…”

And the two had been inseparable ever since. Now, Jared wanted to let Colin know how well his advice worked, even though it wasn’t exactly what they’d planned. Regardless, both men were really happy and without Colin’s help, they would never have had the guts to meet.

Jared knew the address to Colin and his husband’s house from the Gay Godfather’s League contact information. He and Jeff sang along with the radio on the way there. It was just something they did all the time since they’d met.

As the two men drove up Jared noticed a woman in a gold skirt and coat with a big post and cross arm. She was kicking dirt around the post. Colin and Wes were selling their house? That was odd.

“Excuse me,” Jared said to the woman whose brown hair was straggly with sweat. “Are the men who own this house home?”

“Who?” she asked catching her breath.

“The men who live here. Are they home right now?”

“Oh, you must mean Colin and Wes. Oh dear,” she said looking at the men sadly. “You don’t know.”

“Know what?” Jared asked, feeling something was terribly wrong.

“The men who used to live here are dead,” the realtor woman said touching his arm. “They’ve been dead for over a year. They were in a car accident. We just got the property cleared from probate. I’m so sorry for your loss. Are you old friends of theirs?”

Jared’s mouth dropped open and Jeff was aghast. What was happening?

“But I just saw Colin a couple of…” Jared said but Jeff pulled on his arm, gesturing with his head toward the car. He tugged the dark haired man with him and they got into the car.

“I swear. I just saw him two weeks ago and…”

“I believe you Jared,” Jeff said rubbing his new boyfriend’s arm and looking at him curiously.

“I just wanted to tell him 'thank you' but he’s dead and this is impossible,” Jared said getting into the car. Jeff just looked over at him and smiled warily. That’s when something weird happened.

The temperature in the car dropped and both men felt goose pimples rise on their skin. They felt a strange breeze passing over them. Each man looked at the other eyes bulging.

“Are you feeling what I’m feeling,” Jeff said in wonderment.

You are very welcome Jared,” a voice drifted past them. The chilly breeze disappeared. Jared just looked at his boyfriend in awe.

“Did you hear that?” Jared ventured and watched as Jeff’s head nodded in surprise.

Elsewhere, far from the house, Wes and Colin were watching the two young men and holding each other. They weren’t very solid at the moment, more like a picture projected onto a wall.

“I’m glad you didn’t listen to me or the others,” Wes said beaming at his husband.

“I’m glad too,” Colin said and hugged Wes until they faded from sight.

It's always something strange at 1550 Loring Lane. Next up is a chapter that I think I may turn into an extended story. I can't wait until you get to meet "Button."
Copyright © 2017 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh, oh wow!!! I didn't see that ending coming. That was just the most perfect chapter. Amusing..Gay Godfathers League. lol. Well developed characters and a lot of information and depth in one chapter. Great job. Loved it immensely. Thanks. and I can't wait to meet "Buttons". cat, dog, gerbil, mouse?

Link to comment
On 12/08/2013 01:33 PM, LadyDe said:
Oh, oh wow!!! I didn't see that ending coming. That was just the most perfect chapter. Amusing..Gay Godfathers League. lol. Well developed characters and a lot of information and depth in one chapter. Great job. Loved it immensely. Thanks. and I can't wait to meet "Buttons". cat, dog, gerbil, mouse?
I'm glad you liked it. I love the idea of helping others. Thank you so much. Buttons will be coming soon.
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I'm loving these little vignettes. :) What a sweet story. I did not expect that ending, but I loved it! I'm glad that Jared found his love. What an ass that Scott turned out to be.

Link to comment
On 05/28/2014 07:51 AM, Valkyrie said:
I'm loving these little vignettes. :) What a sweet story. I did not expect that ending, but I loved it! I'm glad that Jared found his love. What an ass that Scott turned out to be.
Thanks Valkyrie! I love playing around with these stories. They're my own little experiments. It's fu.
Link to comment
On 07/01/2014 05:00 AM, Suvitar said:
Colin was so sweet and an angel :) Glad Jared found Jeff, he sounds like a lovely man :kiss:
Thanks Suvitar! Yeah, he was quite literally an angel. I love characters like that!
Link to comment

That was cute, but I wonder why Karen introuced Jared to Scott if he's not interested in shy guys. She must feel rather embarrassed about the bad behavior of her brother.

Link to comment
On 10/16/2014 06:25 AM, Timothy M. said:
That was cute, but I wonder why Karen introuced Jared to Scott if he's not interested in shy guys. She must feel rather embarrassed about the bad behavior of her brother.
Thanks! I think she thought theyd be complements to one another. Sometimes we get an idea that just wont quit! I appreciate the review Tim. :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..