Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

1550 Loring Lane - 7. Clippers

"@tinathehaircutter - So we have this client who has claustrophobia so bad he once stepped in the shop, looked around and said, 'I just can't handle it' and ran right out the door."
(I've adapted the quote to 'pretend' Twitter. She told me the story while cutting my hair. We get to use some literary license I figure.)

Clippers

“Over here we keep the towels. It is part of your responsibility to keep them washed and stocked,” Tina said.

Jim nodded enthusiastically, his golden blonde ponytail bobbing in agreement. He was shadowing her at his new job. “No problem. I’ll make sure I keep the racks full.”

Tina was being nice if a bit brusque. She rushed through the salon quickly. Jim hoped he didn’t miss anything.

“Good. Over here is the washer and dryer. The salon spent a lot of money getting the high capacity ones so take care with using them,” Tina said, looking at him sternly. “Last hire washed her fucking boots in it and burned out the motor.”

“I won’t do that,” Jim said shaking his head.

God, he was so lucky. He’d recently graduated from the Aveda Institute and he had a position. Most of his class wasn’t as fortunate. Most of them were kids who were busier partying than anything else. Clippers would give him a chance to finally have a real career, not just another job.

As he looked around at the décor, he noticed all the sailing ships on shelves above each station. There were nautical ropes and pulleys hanging from the ceiling. Pieces of interestingly shaped driftwood hung on the walls. This was a nice place, not some dive.

“No,” Tina said with a smile. “You wouldn’t do something that stupid. Come over here and I’ll show you the point of sale system.”

Jim followed with a grin.

*********************

“No mom, there haven’t been any shootings or muggings,” Jim said into his phone while putting another snow globe on the bookshelf. His collection of real glass snow globes wasn’t large, but it was his pride and joy.

“Yes, I’ll be back for the family reunion. I don’t know why I go though. Nobody knows I’m even there,” Jim giggled and pushed the now empty box out of the way. At this rate, he’d be unpacked in no time. Not that he had that much for such a spacious apartment.

Jim listened to his mother rattle on about some cousin or another as he walked over to the big windows overlooking the park. It was beautiful with flowers planted in beds around the lake. There were lilac bushes blooming. Jim could smell them even with the windows closed. He barely listened to her looking around the place happily.

His mother finally stopped yammering, said goodbye, and Jim started unpacking again.

After finishing in the living room, Jim headed for the bedroom. After living in a cramped apartment next to school with three piggish roommates, having his own space was liberating. He figured he’d get the closet done first so he opened the accordion doors. Jim pulled clothes out of his suitcase and put them on hangers. Then he opened a garbage bag and took out some sweatshirts and sweaters to put on the shelf. The suitcase was too big to fit on the closet floor with his shoe rack. There was plenty of room up on the shelf though so he lifted it up to nudge it in place.

It wouldn’t go all the way to the back. Jim pulled back the suitcase and reached up on the shelf. He felt around for a minute and found something. It felt like a small flat box. He pulled it out and coughed. It was quite dusty and looked old.

Jim sat on the bed and looked at it. The orange and blue lettering on it said; Dorko Solingen, made in Germany and showed a picture of the what he supposed was inside. He opened it and sure enough there was a vintage hand hair clipper. There had been a display of antique hair styling and cutting equipment at his school, but this clipper was perfect, gleaming silver and beautiful.

Jim thought he’d bring it to work and put it on display in his station. He didn’t really have personal photos or cool knickknacks like the other people at Clippers had.

“Finders keepers,” he said as he picked the antique clipper out of the box. “Wonder if it’s sharp?” Jim touched one of the teeth. “Ow!” he said and sucked on his finger tasting blood. “Better keep that away from people.”

****************

Tuesday was an early day at the salon. Since Jim would be shadowing Tina for the week, he needed to be there at 8:30 am. He was drinking coffee from his travel mug at 8:20 and waiting for the manager and Tina to show.

“You’re here early.” Jim heard Tina’s voice behind him. He turned to greet her. She was guzzling coffee too.

“No need to be here this early. Ken’s always late on Tuesdays. It’s Manic Mondays at the Saloon and he’s there until close scoping out the boys.”

“Oh,” Jim said quietly.

“Trust me,” Tina said. “Compared to the rest of these lazy bitches, you are a rock star.”

“Good. I love it here,” Jim said. “Wanna see what I brought to decorate my station?” He pulled the hand clippers out of his bag to show her. She looked at them turning the clippers over in her hand. At least they fit with the theme.

“It’ll look great.” Tina’s indulgent look made Jim turn red.

Ken finally showed up at twenty to nine and it appeared he had stayed until bar close. His hair was a mess, eyes bloodshot, unshaven, and his face had a distinct gray cast to it. He let them in, dropped the money in the drawer and was back in his car in ten minutes.

“Those bitches didn’t refill their shampoo dispensers again. Jim, can you get them topped off,” Tina asked trying to stifle a yawn.

“God, I’m tired. The baby kept me up half the night.” Tina said.

Jim smiled at her. “I’ll get them filled,” as he gathered the containers.

****************

Kevin drove into the parking lot and turned into one of many empty spots. This early was usually safe, but not always. Sometimes there were too many people around and it aggravated his condition. It looked like the coast was clear so Kevin got out of the car and locked the door.

As he approached the storefront, he peered in. Nobody was in there, thank heavens. As he stepped back from the window, he saw Tina, his usual haircutter, grinning at him. She’d been waiting for him.

“Hello Kevin,” she said opening the door. “Come on in. You’re right on time as usual.”

The man hesitated, looking around the salon with his face twitching.

“Come on in,” Tina urged with a smile. “Nobody’s here so it’s safe.”

Kevin stepped into the salon and tried bravely to smile at her. The tics animating his face got more pronounced but Tina stepped back giving him room. “Just get into the closest chair Kevin and I’ll be right with you.”

The man stepped carefully into the salon and hurried to the nearest station. He sat in the chair and looked around pensively. Tina approached him slowly with a cape. She gently arranged it about his front without attaching it around his neck.

“You okay?” she asked softly. “Is that too close?”

“No,” he answered, his voice shaky. “It’s okay. Are we here alone?”

“Yes, except for the new guy Jim. He’s in back though so we are alone out here.”

This sent Kevin into another series of jerks. “I don’t know Tina. Maybe I should come back next week.”

“It’s okay. I’ll make sure Jim stays away okay?”

Kevin swallowed hard and nodded. Sometimes it actually hurt, ached, when people got too close. He tried to calm himself. It didn’t feel like it was working.

“How do you want it cut?” she asked him. “Short on the sides, trimmed on top?”

Kevin nodded. He wanted to get out of here. The walls were so close. Looking out the window helped but the idea of someone lurking nearby was terrifying. ‘Relax,’ he said to himself. ‘The guy is in back and nowhere near.’

Tina picked up her clippers and started to trim the back of Kevin’s head. He relaxed a little as he noticed she was keeping her distance. Tina was good that way.

“So, how’s work going?” she asked.

“It’s okay. I got a new project which keeps me busy,” Kevin answered. His quivering eased when his attention was diverted. It helped. “It’s a new company that needs quarterly auditing. How’re Danny and Sophie doing?”

Tina yammered away about Danny’s croup and Sophie’s new appreciation for horses. Her kids were a constant source of distraction for Kevin. He listened closely soaking up every little detail of their lives.

“The soap bucket is empty,” Kevin heard a male voice call out. “How do I install the pump on the new bucket?”

“Shit,” Kevin heard Tina swear. She leaned over and said quietly, “It’s okay Kevin. I’ll only take a minute. Stay calm.”

“If you tell me how…” Kevin heard that voice approaching him. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know you had a client.”

Kevin closed his eyes. ‘I’m not leaving. I’m okay,” he said to himself. “Just breathe.”

“Jim, this is Kevin,” Tina said brightly. “I’ll help you change the bucket after I’m done. Can you go out back for a little bit until we’re finished?”

Jim stopped walking towards them and cocked his head. “I’m sorry I-“

“Jim, step out back for fifteen minutes and I’ll help you with the dispenser,” Tina ordered coolly. “Kevin, let’s finish this up.

Kevin looked at Jim and appraised him with clenched teeth. His brain was flooded with conflicting emotions. His heart was racing, his legs demanded action. But, the guy was so cute.

‘Calm down,’ he thought. ‘He’s all the way across the room.’

“I’m sorry,” Jim choked and turned around. He walked back into the storeroom with his head hung low. Kevin felt terrible.

“Jim’s new. I’m training him this morning,” Tina said to Kevin. “It’s okay. He’s gone now.”

“I’m fine,” Kevin said his voice trembling. “Let’s get this over with.”

“Okay, so Sophie drew this picture of a horse and colored it green,” Tina said and the buzz of the clippers was a welcome distraction. She finished up the cut in record time narrating it with news of her children and the foibles of her husband.

Kevin thanked her, paid, and was out the door in ten minutes flat. When he stepped out into the bright sunlight he breathed deeply. ‘There. That wasn’t so bad,’ he lied to himself.

Meanwhile, back in the salon…

“Jim!” she called out. “You can come in now.”

“What did I do?” he asked. Jim felt like she’d told him off.

“Nothing. Come here,” Tina said brightly. “I’ll tell you about Kevin.”

Jim approached her feeling wary. Tina had snapped at him and it stung. “What about Kevin?”

“Kevin is a regular of mine. He’s got some serious phobia thing going on. He comes in about once a month early on Tuesdays when nobody else is here. People getting too close freaks him out. A couple of weeks ago Ken was here and he ran out the door. He said, ‘I can’t handle it,’ as he raced out the door. It’s not you. It’s his condition.”

“Oh,” Jim said quietly. “I see. That really sucks for him.”

“Yeah, it does. He’s a sweetheart though. Help me get the station cleaned up and I’ll show you how to do that dispenser, ‘kay?” she said.

****************

“When do you ship out?” Si asked as he slowly clipped the brown hair of the man in his barber chair. His new clipper was sure working well, too well. He didn’t want this moment to end.

“I leave in two weeks,” was the answer and Wayne sounded so excited. Si wished he felt anything but despair. It wasn’t fair. He knew tackling the Japs was the right thing to do but why did it have to be him?

“I guess they’ll take it all off,” Si said running his fingers through the light brown locks. “You’ll get cropped.”

“Easier to take care of,” Wayne answered. “You know I gotta do this right?”

“I know.” Si was holding back his tears. This was inevitable since Wayne had made his decision a few days ago. Si tried talking him out of it but he only got angry with him.

“We can’t let them win. They killed over two thousand of us,” Wayne fumed. “I’m an American and I gotta do this.”

“Uff da,” Si choked reverting to his father’s Norwegian expression in his distress. “People get killed on the battlefield. I don’t want to lose you.”

Wayne grimaced at his remarks. “Stop being such a sad sack. I’ll be fine. You should join up too. We could do this together.”

Si considered his words. It wouldn’t work. He knew he couldn’t fight. Si was too much of a chicken. He couldn’t imagine a life without Wayne either.

Si looked into the mirror and saw the frustration and excitement on the other man’s face. Wayne was so handsome, rugged, with a strong chin and arched nose, almost patrician. Those lips that had given him so much pleasure were now thin and angry.

“We never should have started doing, well, things,” Wayne said looking back at him. “That’s kid stuff and we shouldn’t have been doing it.”

Si nodded and swallowed back his tears. “I know. I love…”

“Don’t say it,” Wayne warned. “You promised.”

“I know,” Si said setting the clippers down and picking up the scissors. “I know what we do isn’t right but I-“

“Find yourself a nice gal,” Wayne urged but his eyes said otherwise. “That’s what I’m gonna do when I get back.”

The blonde man sighed and snipped at the hairs in the comb. Wayne was right and they’d vow to each other it wouldn’t happen again. Si would take some doll out and she’d hang on his arm. They’d have a nice time cutting a rug and having a laugh. Then, he’d find himself walking across their apartment and knocking on Wayne’s bedroom door in the middle of the night.

It felt so right.

“Me being away will be the best thing for both of us. I’ll kill some krauts or Japs and you’ll find a swell broad who’ll give you a house full of kids.”

Si almost laughed. What he liked to do in bed would never give him a house full of kids. The subject of the discussion sobered him up quick though.

“I’ll just miss you,” Si said catching Wayne’s eye in the mirror.

“Stop talking like that. Makes you sound like a dame,” Wayne whispered. He looked at Si with sadness though. He paused and then muttered, “I’ll miss you too.”

Si picked up the clippers to trim the back. “At least you’ll write me.”

Wayne’s expression softened. He couldn’t watch the blonde man’s anguish without feeling like a heel. “Of course. Gotta make sure you keep paying the rent on the place. With my parents gone, I’d lose it and that apartment’s all I have left of them.”

*****************

Jim awoke hearing a cannon fire and a deep voice narrating the action. He’d fallen asleep in front of the television again. He’d been watching a documentary on World War II and it seemed to have slipped into his dreams. Jim had never considered himself particularly imaginative but his dreams certainly were.

He reached over and turned off the television. ‘Time for bed,’ he thought as he yawned. He pulled back the covers and fell back to sleep. The rest of his night passed dreamlessly.

**************

“Sophie’s got a fever and it’s not going down,” Tina said to Jim on the phone. She sounded distracted and worried. “Tell Ken I can’t come in right now.”

“No problem,” Jim said. “I’m here. Don’t worry about it. I can handle things.”

“You’re ready Jim. Over the past month you’ve gotten a handle on most things. Just don’t do a color job okay? Let Leah do those,” Tina said and Jim laughed nervously. The last dye job he tried to do had been a disaster. He hoped she didn’t hold that against him. Knowing Tina it wouldn’t. They’d become friends, at least work friends.

“Thanks Tina. Tell Sophie to get better,” the blonde man said.

“I will, bye.”

Ken showed up as Jim was putting his phone into his messenger bag. He told the manager about Tina’s situation and the man had merely grunted in reply. As usual, Manic Mondays had done a number on the man. He looked very hungover.

“You sure you can do this?” he’d asked but even when Jim assured him it was fine, Ken had hardly listened. He left with a gruff warning about the rules.

Jim picked up a couple of towels lying on chairs at a couple of stations. The girls last night had done a piss poor job of cleaning up. He quickly swept up some white hairs from a station when heard knocking.

The blonde man looked over to the front of the store and saw a man peering through the glass door. Jim walked over and unlocked it.

It was Kevin and he looked positively terrified.

“Are you here for Tina?” Jim asked softly. “I’m afraid her little girl is sick but I can help you.”

Kevin looked around wildly his mouth opening and closing. “I’ll come back later.”

Jim looked the man in the eye and smiled. “It’s okay. I can do it. I’ll make sure you’re comfortable.”

Kevin shook his head but he didn’t move. He stood in front of the open door and swayed from side to side. “I don’t think I can…”

“Of course you can,” Jim said. The man was absolutely beautiful, especially since he was looking so scared. Jim wanted to hug him but knew better. That would set him off even worse.

“Come inside. I can cut your hair at Tina’s station, right by the door. It’s okay,” Jim urged. “Come on.”

Kevin coughed and stepped into the entryway. He looked back as the door swung shut cutting off his exit. “I should come back when Tina’s here.”

“I promise. I’ll keep my distance and make it quick,” Jim said. “Tina told me about your, um, situation, and I’ll make things comfortable for you.”

Kevin swallowed and nodded. He was determined to make this work. Besides, the blonde man was so adorable with his gentle smile and kind manner. Kevin’s therapist told him to push his boundaries. Having a cute guy touch his hair would certainly do that. He was sick of being so scared.

“Please make it fast,” Kevin blurted as he sat in the chair trembling. “I have a busy day,” he lied hoping to make some kind of cover for his behavior. He didn’t know why he needed to say that. Obviously the guy knew his issues.

“Let’s drape this around you,” Jim said putting the cape on Kevin. “I won’t close it but you may get some hair on you.”

“That’s okay,” Kevin grunted. “Let’s get this over with.”

“I’m Jim by the way. It’s Kevin right?” the blonde said hoping some mindless chatter would calm the man.

“Yeah, I’m Kevin. Make it short on the sides and trim the top, ‘kay?” he said looking out the front windows.

“Sure thing,” Jim said and picked up the clippers. He turned them on and the buzz seemed to have a soothing effect on Kevin. He was still shaking a little but not nearly as badly. “What do you do for a living?”

“I’m an auditor,” Kevin said shortly. “I’ve got to meet a client in half an hour.”

“We’ll be done long before that,” Jim chuckled. “Not like the old days when a haircut took a while.”

“I guess,” Kevin said. “What does that mean?”

“Nothing really. Just chatting,” Jim smiled. Maybe if Kevin was thinking about something else, he wouldn’t be so edgy. “Say, you wanna see something I found in my new apartment?”

“Um, sure, I guess,” Kevin stammered.

“I found this cool antique clipper like they used back in the good old days,” Jim said grabbing the clipper. “This is what they used before electric ones.”

Kevin took the clippers out of his lap where Jim had set them. It was shiny silver. He touched the edge. “Ouch!” he jumped. “That thing’s sharp.”

“Sorry about that. I should have warned you,” Jim said taking it from him. Kevin sucked on his finger and settled back down.

Jim finished with the sides and ran a comb through the top of the thick brown hair. It had a natural wave to it, almost curly but lush. “You have very nice hair,” he said abstractly. “Let’s get you finished up.”

Kevin couldn’t believe how good it felt. He wasn’t as jumpy. Jim ran his fingers through his hair and he wasn’t freaking out. In fact, it was quite a comfortable feeling.

“Where are you from?” Kevin asked the man.

Jim paused and noticed his patron’s hands weren’t trembling any more. “I’m from North Dakota originally. I came to the Twin Cities to go to Aveda. I’ve always wanted to do this.”

“Yeah,” Kevin said smiling. “You’ve always wanted to do hair?”

“Sure. I used to cut my family’s hair all the time. It gives me a chance to make people feel better about themselves.”

“Oh. I never thought of it that way,” Kevin said gnawing on his lip.

Jim looked up into the mirror and saw the other man’s worried face. Kevin was enjoying himself at last. His smile was so cute. The man’s lips were full and pale and Jim had to look away but not before he thought of them as kissable.

“I’m an office jockey,” Kevin joked. “I like numbers and they like me.”

“I’m terrible with math,” Jim giggled. “I have trouble balancing my checkbook.”

“Maybe I could help,” Kevin said. “If you wanted it.”

Jim glanced back at the mirror to see the dark haired man was smiling at him. There was something about the look of them together in the reflection that was so familiar. He couldn’t figure out what that was. Jim shrugged and continued cutting.

“If you wanna try untangling my finances, you’re more than welcome,” he said.

“I’d like that,” Kevin said. “It would be fun to help you.”

Jim paused with his scissors in one hand, holding out a lock of Kevin’s hair in his other. “Are you serious?”

Kevin nodded slightly. “If you’ll take me out to lunch.”

“Are you asking me on a date?” Jim laughed. “I don’t know if that’s appropriate.”

“No, I’m accepting a date,” Kevin giggled. He had the cutest little smirk on his face, a kissable face. “You asked for help and I’m accepting with one condition. You feed me.”

“In that case, I guess I’ll have to accept,” Jim said. “It would be rude not to.”

Kevin nodded and didn’t even feel remotely like running out the door, for once.

*****************

“Jim!” he heard Tina shout from the front of the store. “You’re in big trouble.”

“What? What did I do?” Jim said rushing from the back to see the angry looking woman tapping her foot.

“You’re poaching my clientele,” she said with a scowl. Jim was shocked at first until he saw the gleam in her eye. “How did you steal Kevin from me?”

“You’re teasing me now,” Jim smiled. “How did you know?”

“It was the cutest thing,” Tina said grinning from ear to ear. “He came by yesterday and asked me if you could be his new hair cutter. I just about fell off my shoes.”

“Yeah, he’s pretty cute,” Jim admitted. Tina noticed the blonde man’s eyes glazed over.

“You’ve got it bad don’t you?” she chuckled.

“I think I do,” he said. “He’s been staying over at my apartment almost every night this week.”

“Good for you and good for Kevin. I thought that boy would never get laid,” Tina joked.

Jim blushed and said nothing. It was nice sleeping with him and when he did, the dreams didn’t come. When he wasn’t there, the dreams would wake him up, they were so vivid.

The latest one was especially sweet though so sad.

Si and Wayne were in a small drawing room. The curtains were closed and it was dark except for the light of a single candle . They were dancing together with the radio playing in the background. Si was crying and Wayne was trying to comfort him.

“I wish you weren’t going,” Si whispered through the tears. “It’s killing me.”

“Hush now. Everything will be fine,” Wayne whispered. “You’ll be hunky dory without my dumbass around to bother you.” He didn’t feel that way at all. Wayne was as broken up as Si was.

The dark haired man kissed the blonde one on the lips. “It’s okay. You’ll see.”

“Ships don’t even make it to Europe. The U-boats sink them by the dozens,” Si said pulling Wayne closer.

“I’ll be fine. You need to be brave for me,” Wayne said holding his lover’s chin up. “Please believe me.”

“Don’t promise that,” Si said. “You don’t know.”

“Of course I know. I’ll be back home soon making your life miserable,” Wayne said kissing him again.

“I’ll miss you,” Si said and kissed Wayne hard, with desperation. “You better come back to me.”

“I will,” Wayne said. “I’ll make sure I come back for you.”

************************

“You wanna take me dancing?” Jim asked looking up from his book. “You want to dance with me in public?”

“Yeah,” Kevin said. “I’ve always wanted to do that. I’ve never been able to.”

Jim looked at him with his earnest look and kissable lips. “You don’t have to do this for me you know. I’m happy being here with you.”

“I know. I’ve never been comfortable but my therapist Jerry thinks I should try. I wouldn’t have been able to before I met you but now I think I can.”

Jim watched Kevin’s behavior closely. It was one thing to think about going dancing and quite another to go through with it. Kevin’s phobias were such that being in an enclosed space with hundreds of other people around should be avoided. “Are you sure about this? I can see how you struggle sometimes.”

“I can do it with you,” Kevin said simply. “I couldn’t do it without you but with you I can do anything.”

“If you’re sure,” Jim said.

And they went dancing…and it was beautiful.

******************

The knock on the door woke Si up. He’d been sleeping on the sofa since Wayne left for boot camp. The bed was too lonely. He got up and answered the door.

“Telegram for Mr. Hansen?” the courier said.

“I’m sorry. He’s not here. You can leave it with me,” Si said signing for it. “Thanks.”

The courier held out his hand and Si quickly handed him a dime.

“Have a good day sir,” and he rushed down the hall.

“Who would have sent Wayne a telegram?” Si said out loud.

“Dear Mr. and Mrs. Lars Hansen,

The Secretary of War desires me to express his deep regrets that your son Private Wayne R. Hansen has been killed in an accidental weapon discharge at a training facility on six March. Letter follows

Ulio the Adjutant General

************

Jim bolted awake, grasping for Kevin. He wasn’t there. They’d had a wonderful night at the Saloon dancing. When they got home, Kevin made passionate love to him. Jim got aroused thinking about that. Then, he remembered what woke him up.

The dream. No, the nightmare gripped him and Jim began sweating.

It was beginning to make sense now. First, Jim thought about the image of Si and Wayne in the mirror, the blonde man cutting his hair. It was just like the first time he cut Kevin’s hair.

Then, there was the dancing. Si and Wayne had danced their last dance together alone behind closed curtains. Last night Jim and Kevin had danced with as much love.

Si and Wayne were parted forever by a bullet, the discharge from a gun. Where was Kevin? Jim knew what the dreams were telling him. He’d lose him, like the men from the 1940’s had lost each other.

“Kevin?” he called out. There was no answer.

Quickly, Jim pulled on boxers and pants slipping on a shirt. He jumped into sandals and raced out the bedroom door. There was a note on the table. Jim picked it up and as he read it, his blood ran cold.

“Honey,

Walked down to get us coffee. Be right back.

Love,

Your Kev.

He had to stop him.

He couldn’t lose him.

Jim raced out his front door and down the hall. He burst through the front door to the apartment complex and looked wildly up and down the streets. That’s when he saw him.

Jim saw Kevin coming toward him. He relaxed. Kevin was grinning at him and held up the two cartons of coffee. Everything was fine. It was just a dream. He’d overreacted. Jim waved happily.

There was the squeal of tires and Jim could see a car barreling toward the sidewalk. Right at Kevin.

It was happening. The dream was real. He cried out to his love. The dark haired man looked confused. A shot rang out. It sounded like fireworks. At first, nothing happened. Kevin stood there and then he crumpled to the ground.

Kevin was down.

It happened so fast Jim couldn’t believe his eyes. He ran to his boyfriend, blood was pouring from Kevin’s head. His eyes were closed.

“Kev?” Jim cried out. “Kevin? Can you hear me?”

***********************

“So have the nightmares stopped at least?” Tina asked with concern etched on her face. “It must be tough dealing with it.”

“They have stopped. Kevin is sleeping like a baby. It was hard at first but I think it was harder on me than it was on him. I thought he was dead,” Jim said sweeping up the last of the hair from his station. He thought about how the dreams of Si and Wayne had ended for him too. Kevin’s dreams had been of bullets chasing him down. Jim’s dreams had been of Si crying for his loss.

He hadn’t told Tina about his dreams, only Kevin’s.

“Well, I’m glad he’s alright. Getting shot at would frighten anyone. He’s lucky it just grazed him,” Tina said soberly.

“Yeah, we’re very lucky,” Jim said. He looked around his station. “Tina have you seen my clippers?”

“They’re right there on the counter,” Tina answered.

“No, not my work clippers, the antique one I had on the shelf. The box is gone too,” Jim scratched his head.

“Someone probably stole it. Damn thieves,” Tina said. “They’re everywhere.”

Jim stopped and looked at Tina. He wasn’t so sure it was thieves but he said, “Yeah. It must’ve been stolen.”

Been a while since I posted a 1550 Loring Lane story but since Button's going pretty well, I figured that was okay. We will have another story soon. It too will begin a long story. Thanks for reading.
Copyright © 2017 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

:,(

:sniff:

Um, while I :sob: enjoyed the poignancy of both love stories, and also the way 1550 Loring Lane connected them, I could've used a little more background on the modern-day couple. How did Kevin get to the point of staying over? And how did he manage to get past being shot? I take it he was having the same dreams from the opposite end? Is that why he had those phobias? I would've liked :honk: to see the conclusion take place rather than being told about it...

Link to comment
On 05/24/2014 04:25 AM, Irritable1 said:
:,(

:sniff:

Um, while I :sob: enjoyed the poignancy of both love stories, and also the way 1550 Loring Lane connected them, I could've used a little more background on the modern-day couple. How did Kevin get to the point of staying over? And how did he manage to get past being shot? I take it he was having the same dreams from the opposite end? Is that why he had those phobias? I would've liked :honk: to see the conclusion take place rather than being told about it...

Good points! I guess when I'm working on a device and idea story sometimes the back story gets the short end of the stick. I really like Jim and Kevin's characters so i probably should have given them more development. I was giving Si and Wayne equal time though i prolly didnt need to.

Things to consider. Thank you for the review and insightful comments. :)

Link to comment

Great story! But I agree with Irritable1, a little more backstory for Jim and Kevin would have been helpful. We had no idea that Kevin was having dreams too. Actually, this could have been a two chapter story. But I loved it even if I got a little confused at the end. Thanks for it. And many many thanks for Button.

Link to comment
On 05/24/2014 06:37 AM, LadyDe said:
Great story! But I agree with Irritable1, a little more backstory for Jim and Kevin would have been helpful. We had no idea that Kevin was having dreams too. Actually, this could have been a two chapter story. But I loved it even if I got a little confused at the end. Thanks for it. And many many thanks for Button.
Thanks LadyDe! I love hearing the comments. Wanting to know Jim and Kevin better means you like the characters which is definitely a good thing! Kevin only had dreams following the shooting. I can see that is confusing. Maybe they will make a reappearance in the future. Hmmm...
Link to comment

Fun story. Love the pace. Just long enough. I figure, with magic and such, the writer shouldn't give himself enough rope to hang himself in contradictions. No hanging here.

Link to comment
On 05/27/2014 04:00 PM, knotme said:
Fun story. Love the pace. Just long enough. I figure, with magic and such, the writer shouldn't give himself enough rope to hang himself in contradictions. No hanging here.
Thanks knotme! I'm glad you liked it. I hoped to convey that. ;)
Link to comment

Reincarnated lovers united again. Uf-da! I love how the wicked phobias faded when the boys found each other again.

Link to comment
On 05/31/2014 10:56 PM, Kitt said:
Reincarnated lovers united again. Uf-da! I love how the wicked phobias faded when the boys found each other again.
Thanks Kitt! Couldn't have done it without your help. :)
Link to comment

I liked this a lot - and reading the reviews and your replies actually improved the experience. But I kept wondering what happened to Si when he got the telegram. Did he go on living or...

Link to comment
On 10/16/2014 06:54 AM, Timothy M. said:
I liked this a lot - and reading the reviews and your replies actually improved the experience. But I kept wondering what happened to Si when he got the telegram. Did he go on living or...
I believe Si lived on until he couldnt take it and a little part of me believes the clipper and its powers finally gave him a release. When he saw those two as happy as they should of been, he could go home. At least the romantic in me says that. Thanks Tim! It was my first historical fiction attempt.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..