Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

1550 Loring Lane - 9. Voice of the Garden

"@plantthings Wind chimes really are the voice of a garden."

Voice of the Garden

Louis pulled the last tiny maple sprout from the raised bed. He wiped the sweat from his brow with his forearm and smiled. “There, that’s done,” he said to the bachelor buttons. He slowly stood up, his knees protesting and his back refusing to straighten. Louis’ arthritis was horrible for him but when he was out in his garden, it hurt less. He looked over at the bed of tulips, blossoms long gone as the limp leaves had begun to lose their luster. They’d be ready to chop to the ground in another week and then he could plant the zinnias for color all summer long.

Louis was almost standing up straight when he heard a cough behind him.

“Oh, hi there,” he said to the two men watching him. It was the caretakers of the building, Guy and Ian. They’d been so good to him, letting him putter around in the backyard growing his flowers and tending to his shrubs.

“How’s it going Louis?” Ian asked. His eyes were slit with concern.

“For seventy three years young, I’m doing just fine,” Louis said with a warm smile. “Did ya come out to sit on the patio?”

“Not really,” Guy said. “We came to talk to you.”

“I hope there isn’t a problem,” Louis said softly. “I’m just trying to make the place look nice.”

“That’s what we’re here about,” Guy said. “Let’s have a seat.”

The three men sat down at the little patio table with the tile top. Ian had brought out some iced tea and poured them each a glass.

“So, how much do you spend on the garden Louis?” Guy asked after they settled in.

“You guys give me two hundred a year. It pretty much covers it all.” Louis watched Ian’s reaction in particular. Guy could be stone faced, hard to read. His husband wore his emotions on his sleeve, usually. But, right now Ian was as stoic as Guy. “I guess I could do it with less. I mean, I buy my perennials late in the season and I start my annuals inside from seed. I could cut down on the fertilizer I suppose.”

Louis quickly figured in his head how much he’d have to spend of his own money to keep the garden going. His Social Security check was already spread pretty thin and his savings was so meager. There was just a few hundred dollars coming in a month from his annuity but that could be stretched if he cut down on groceries during the summer. Louis was grateful the guys gave him a little budget in the first place. The garden was his sanctuary in the summer and his dream all winter long.

“As you know, the building’s been sold to new owners. They’ve been looking at your garden and the patio and making some plans.” Guy’s face was as neutral as it could be. Louis knew what that meant.

They were taking his garden away from him.

There were always rumors of management turning the patio and his little garden plots into parking spots. Parking in the neighborhood was always at a premium and no doubt the new owners would want to make good on their new investment. Louis could feel the blood drain away from his face and his back and legs ached worse than usual.

“Can I at least keep a little bed over on the side? Rosie gave me that dinner plate dahlia and I want to keep it if I can,” he begged them. “And my old coworker Jerry gave me the azalea and Tom let me have that woody peony and…”

“Guy, you’re scaring him,” Ian said leaning forward. “Louis, no one’s taking away your garden.”

“But?” Louis said. “The new owners…”

“They want to expand the space,” Guy said now concerned at Louis’ reaction. “They don’t wanna take away your garden Louis. On the contrary, your garden impressed them. They want to make the space bigger.”

“Really?” Louis could hardly believe his ears.

“One of the reasons they bought the building was because your garden added such a great green space to the property,” Guy said quickly. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to upset you.”

“Oh shit,” Louis said sitting back in his chair. He paused and looked at them cocking his head. “So, they really like my garden?”

“Yes Louis and they want to help,” Ian said patting his hand.

“I guess another hundred dollars or so would be nice,” Louis said.

Guy just laughed at him. Ian was grinning.

“Here’s the idea. They’re ripping out this line of parking spaces and putting in a gazebo and pergola for the tenants of 1550 Loring Lane. The owners want you to design additional raised beds and a new patio. They’ve added a couple thousand to your maintenance budget and that doesn’t include labor.”

Louis thought his heart was going to stop. “Did you say thousands?”

“Yes. Plus you’ll get part time help, probably around ten hours a week,” Guy said. “They want this to look like a showplace.”

“They’re gonna pay me for ten hours a week?” Louis gasped.

“No. That’s for your help. You’re getting two hundred off your rent every month. Doug and Sam said it was a bargain for maintaining such a professional looking space.”

“They’re gonna take two hundred off my rent during the summer?” Louis asked. He was flabbergasted. This was his hobby, his playtime. Now they were going to pay him for it. It was like a dream come true.

“No, all year long. The new owners said twenty four hundred dollars for a professional gardener was a steal.” Guy and Ian were smiling at him so genuinely but Louis wondered if he was hearing them right.

“You’re not pulling my leg are you?” he asked.

“Not at all. We’ve even found someone for you to consider as a helper. One of the tenants here needs part time work. He’s willing if you’ll give him a chance. We’ve hired him to help build the pergola, lay the patio brick, and set up the gazebo. If you like his work, he said he’d take on the job,” Ian said. “Of course, if he doesn’t work out, you can hire who you’d like.”

Louis was speechless. He forced the two caretakers to go over the new arrangements again because it didn’t seem real. After some reassurances and concrete plans, Louis went back to his apartment. He pinched himself just to make sure he wasn’t dreaming.

***************

Louis thought Brody’s name should have been ‘broody’. The boy, well young man, was a mystery. When they’d first met earlier that day, Brody had been pleasant, eager, and full of excitement about the new garden layout. He couldn’t wait to get the wood and start building the pergola. When Louis wanted to go to the garden store first, the boy’s mood quickly soured.

It started in the truck. Louis climbed into the passenger seat slowly. His legs and back were hurting something fierce and Brody was waiting impatiently. Louis knew he was moving slowly but he couldn’t help it.

“Are you ready yet?” Brody snarled.

“Almost,” Louis said wincing as he pulled the seat belt over his chest. His left shoulder was aching now. It usually did that only in the winter. This was yet another embarrassing infirmity to endure.

They’d raced to Randy’s Garden Center at the speed of light. Brody seemed to think stop signs were merely suggestions and ran most of them. Louis was clutching the door handle nervously.

“Watch out for that car,” he squawked as they darted in front of a blue Tempo.

“I’m driving so just chill,” Brody moaned.

Louis hated that he could no longer drive. His legs just weren’t limber enough to work the gas and brake. Usually Ian would drive him to the store or appointments or he’d get a cab. The caretaker and cab drivers always followed the rules of the road. Apparently Brody couldn’t be bothered.

“Isn’t the speed limit thirty here?” Louis asked leaning over to look at the console. Brody had to be going at least fifty.

Brody just grunted and pushed on Louis’ shoulder. “Quit perving on me dude.”

Louis sat back mouth open. “What does that mean?”

“It means stay on your side of the truck,” Brody snapped.

Guy and Ian said the kid was gay so it wasn’t homophobia giving him this attitude. Louis couldn’t think of a single thing he’d done that would give him the wrong impression. He decided to just let it rest. Louis was too old, and too excited about the shopping trip, to let it bother him.

The garden store was a new experience for Louis. It wasn’t that he’d never been but this time he had money to spend. He didn’t have to coax life from a half dead stick of dogwood from the clearance bin. Louis got to look at beautiful plants that he could nurture instead of luring it back from the brink of death.

Brody was trying his best to ruin it for him though. Every time they’d pause to look at something, the boy rolled his eyes so much Louis was sure they’d come popping out. Brody would sigh and tap his foot. It was annoying but Louis pressed on enjoying his shopping spree.

“Would you look at that?” Louis said pointing at the wind chime display. The sign read, ‘Voice of the Garden Wind Chimes’, “Don’t they sound lovely?”

“Whatever,” Brody groused.

“Would you be a dear and get that large one with the really low tones?” Louis said touching the man’s forearm.

“I’m not your boy toy,” Brody snapped and pulled his arm away. “Quit touching me so much.”

Louis was shocked. He looked at the angry young man and considered the day’s events. That’s what was eating Brody. He remembered patting Brody’s thigh after getting settled into the passenger seat. Louis rubbed the boy’s shoulder when they talked about the shopping trip. He could get a little handsy.

“Brody, can we start again?”

The young man looked at Louis with contempt. “Whaddaya mean?”

“My name is Louis Gable Jones. I was a bartender at the Gay Nineties for thirty three years. During my time there I developed some bad habits, habits I doubt I’ll ever overcome. Because we’ll be working together, I’m sure those quirks will annoy you. For example, I’ll probably call you honey or sweetheart on occasion. I also touch people quite a bit. As a bartender in a gay bar, people expected me to be a little friendlier, if you get my drift. It doesn’t mean anything Brody. It’s just who I am,” Louis said.

Brody looked at him oddly. He was trying to process everything the old man had said. After a few moments, the young man nodded.

“I get it. You’re not hitting on me. You’re just used to doing it.”

“That’s right. Trust me, those days are long past,” Louis laughed. “My arthritis has pretty much beaten out any desire to seduce a young buck like you.”

“Oh,” Brody said slowly. “I’m sorry. I guess I was weirded out.”

“Don’t worry about it. Let’s have some fun with this project.”

Brody nodded and looked at Louis with a smirk. “You were a bartender for thirty three years?”

“No. I said I worked at the 90’s for that long. I started working at the Parliament House in Orlando at the ripe old age of 17,” Louis giggled.

“Really?” Brody said. “What was that like?”

“Parliament House is a hotel with a few bars in it. I saw some pretty amazing things in my day.”

Brody looked uncomfortable at that comment. “Are you from here?”

“No. I moved here many years ago from Florida. I grew up in Georgia,” Louis explained. “When I get tipsy my accent comes out. I can drawl like a real redneck, ya’ll.”

“Why’d you move here?” Brody asked as he pulled the large wind chime down from the display. “This is the one, right?”

“Yes, my dear boy. That exact one,” Louis said. “I’ll tell you about it one day. Today I just want to buy some things and enjoy myself.”

And from that moment on, they were friends.

*******************

Louis sat at the little patio table and looked around at the organized mess in progress. There was a broad swath of black dirt where the paving contractors had removed the asphalt parking spots. A new wooden fence surrounded the entire backyard. Laughter drew the old man’s attention to his right.

Guy, Ian and two of their friends were in the new canvas and mesh gazebo playing cards. Outside the structure was a cooler. Every so often, one of the foursome would retrieve beers and return to the new table inside. They always waved at him, smiling. Louis thought this was the best time of his life.

A breeze ruffled his thinning hair and he heard the new wind chimes clanging forlornly. Louis took a sip of his gin and tonic and looked over at Brody’s pergola. He’d gotten the posts up; held sturdy by footings Louis insisted should be three feet deep. Brody had laughed at him. There was no reason for them to be that deep but he wanted it to stand forever.

The young man had gotten the posts in and then had to go work at his regular job, at a restaurant. Tomorrow, he’d put the beams on the posts with the help of his friend Jeb. Louis couldn’t wait for the pergola to be finished. Two specially ordered vines were ready to be planted beneath the two corner posts. They were Kentucky Blue Wisteria, his favorite flower. They smelled rich and perfumey, like jasmine only not as heady. It was something he recalled his own grandfathers had planted to crawl up their respective old barns.

It smelled like home. He couldn’t wait.

Clang, clang, clang, the wind chimes rang out. Louis sighed and enjoyed the smell of the freshly turned earth and the sound of the chimes. Dong, dong, dong, he heard as the breeze cooled his cheeks. Beam, beam, beam. Brody, Brody, Brody. Beam, beam, Brody. Beam, Brody, Brody.

Louis shook his head. He must be daydreaming or something. Either that or the ache in his bones had finally driven him crazy. Then he heard it again. Brody, beam, Brody. Beam, Brody, beam.

He saw one of Guy and Ian’s guests come out of the gazebo and head towards the back door of the apartment building. Louis thought the guy’s name was Ben. He took a chance.

“Ben!” he called out. The man stopped and smiled at him. Louis gestured him to come over. Ben trotted over and shyly said ‘hi’ to him.

“Can you hear those wind chimes?” Louis asked him.

“Yeah,” Ben said. “Sounds beautiful.”

“Is that all you hear?” Louis asked.

“It sounds kind of sad,” Ben said shrugging his shoulders. “Is that what you’re asking?”

Louis smiled and waved him off. Perhaps his arthritis medication was too strong. Now he was hearing things.

The next morning, Louis was up early watching Brody and Jeb drill the beams for mounting to the posts. Brody was such a good handyman, careful yet precise in his measurements and work. After getting the two right hand beams drilled, Brody held up the first beam while Jeb inserted the long bolt. Jeb grabbed the other beam and with Brody’s help, got it mounted. Jeb went to grab the nuts to secure the bolts.

“Where are they?” he asked Brody.

Brody walked over to the tool chest. “Here they are,” he said and headed back toward the pergola to screw on the nuts.

As he neared the structure, Jeb called to him, “Here’s the wrench.” The man threw it at Brody and he missed it. The wrench flew into the beam.

“Brody!” Louis screamed. “Get away from there.”

Brody turned to look at Louis and stepped in his direction. Behind him, the nearest beam came crashing down catching the back the of Brody’s leg.

“Brody!” Louis got out of his chair and hobbled over to him. The guy’s right calf was gashed open from the end of the beam hitting it. It looked bad. “That could’ve killed you!”

“I’m bleeding pretty badly,” Brody announced. He looked at his calf and grimaced.

“I’ll take him,” Jeb said. “Sorry about that buddy. I didn’t think you’d miss.”

“S’okay,” Brody said wincing.

Louis pulled a handkerchief from his pocket. He tied it around the lower leg tightly. A bloom of red immediately colored the white cloth. “Get him to the emergency room quick. He needs stitches.”

************

Louis put the last of the dirt into the hole with the second wisteria. He patted it gently down. Now, I just need to water it. Brody and Jeb were putting the last ten inch nails into the raised beds. Louis watched as the two men, shirtless and sweating profusely, finished their project.

“All we need is for them to deliver the dirt and then one last big trip for plants,” the old man said to his workers. “You’ve done a fabulous job.”

“Thanks Louis,” Jeb said. “It’s hard work though. I’m glad I’m a model and not a landscaper.”

“Is that what you’re calling it now?” Louis teased. “In my day we’d call you a gigolo.”

Jeb just blushed and grabbed his shirt. “I’m showering and then off to dance at the Saloon tonight. Brody, you should come with.”

“I’ll pass,” Brody said pointedly not looking at his friend. “I’m tired.”

“How’s your leg?” Jeb asked pointing to the bandage on his calf.

“It’s okay. Still hurts a bunch but not as bad as last week when the doctor stitched it up.”

“You’re gonna have quite the scar,” Louis said, “And a story.”

“I have plenty of scars,” Brody said picking up his saw and mallet. “I’m pretty clumsy.”

Louis smiled at him. “Wanna join me for dinner tonight to celebrate? All the hardscaping is done for now. After you get the dirt and mulch hauled in, we’ll just have the planting to do.”

“I’d like that,” Brody said. “I’m too tired to cook.”

**************

Louis was pulling the lasagna out of the oven when he heard the knock on the door.

“It’s open,” he called out.

A few seconds later, Brody walked in, his hair damp, wearing board shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt. “Smells really good.”

“It’s one of my favorites. I haven’t made it for a while. It’s too much food for one person,” Louis said thoughtfully. “But, when a ravenous young handyman is coming to dinner, I figured it might be just the thing.”

“I’m starving,” he said. “You just whipped that up?”

Louis nodded. He made it last night hoping the young guy would come to dinner. Lately it was such a pleasure when Brody came by to eat with him. He forgot how nice it was to have dinner conversation. Most of the people he knew were too busy or else Louis himself was in too much pain to feel like entertaining. He realized after Brody started joining him for the occasional meal how lonely he was.

“Let’s have a drink and let the lasagna rest for a few minutes,” Louis said.

“I’ll make ‘em,” Brody offered and jumped to it. He quickly made them gin and tonics, with the squeeze of a lime, the kitchen smelled more like citrus than cheese. Brody set the drink in front of Louis and settled down across from him.

“Are you going to finally tell me what brought you to live here?” the young man asked. “You did promise.”

“I did,” Louis sighed. “Well, my lover was sick and his parents wanted him home. So, I brought him here and watched him die.”

“Oh fuck,” Brody said watching the old man’s face slump. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to pry.”

“I don’t tell a lot of people but I don’t mind telling you,” Louis said. Few people did know. He learned early on that the story wasn’t something the few survivors his age wanted to talk about. They had their own emotional scars to assuage. Younger people didn’t want to hear about it either. It was like hearing a bad horror story. At least horror movies eventually roll the credits. The curtain would never fall on this tale, not until he was dead.

“What happened to him?” Brody asked. He looked at Louis with some measure of guilt. Louis could see it pained the boy to ask. He just couldn’t deny the boy the truth. It was really difficult to remember but sometimes the agony was worth it.

“He got pneumonia and then got a little better but he kept slipping back into it. The doctors in Florida were perplexed. I was so scared because Jay never got sick. Finally, his parents wanted him to come up for a visit and he was so weak I came with him.” Louis’ throat was aching with the memory of it. The emotions were coming back just as raw as when it happened.

“Was it AIDS?” Brody asked. Louis smiled. He was surprised the boy knew as much. Brody was a simple soul though not stupid, not by any measure.

“We didn’t know what it was but after Jay died people started talking about the ‘gay cancer.’ Jay’s illness was very rare especially in young men. It wasn’t until the next year they named it. I was so confused at the time.”

Louis thought about how he’d reacted to Jay’s death. At first, he’d been so sad losing his lover. Doug and Emily, Jay’s parents, were very kind to him. They were much nicer than his family had been. Losing their son had taken such a toll on them. His suffering had been worse though. Jay was his everything.

“I went back to Orlando and tried to put my life back together but it was too hard. I missed Jay so much. I moved here and this became my home,” Louis said. 1981seemed so long ago and far away but talking about it brought everything back. Jay’s ranting’s, his struggles to breathe, and then the silence when it was over, played in his head.

“So are you?” Brody asked.

It was the question everyone wondered, even if they didn’t actually ask.

“I tested negative but for a few years I didn’t know. No one knew in those days who had HIV or who didn’t. I remember it was first called gay related immune deficiency, GRID. I was scared to even kiss another guy. I assumed I had it.”

“I thought telling my mom was hard,” Brody mused. “You really lived for years thinking you had some illness that would kill you someday?”

“Life is one long fatal illness Brody. As soon as I came to that conclusion, I was able to live again,” Louis smiled at him. He patted the young man’s hand. “Come on. Let’s eat.”

The two of them dug into the lasagna and Brody had three portions. He couldn’t stop complimenting Louis’ cooking. The guy was too sweet for words.

“Did you ever have another partner?” Brody asked after pushing his plate away.

“I’ve had boyfriends and a few gentleman callers along the way but no one like Jay. He was the only one who made me really happy.”

Brody looked down at his hands. He fiddled with the cloth napkins, twisting it into shapes. “I want a partner someday. I want kids too.”

“There’s someone out there for you,” Louis said. “Don’t worry. It’ll happen.”

“I hope so. I’m a little shy though. Most guys ignore me,” Brody said still not looking up.

Louis appraised his friend. Brody was very nice looking but most of his looks were due to age. His fresh, boyish look was attractive but for other guys his age, it wouldn’t be enough. Brody’s eyes were too squinty, the planes of his face too severe. He was tall and muscular but not in a proportional way. His muscles were those of a working man. The young man was already developing a small paunch in his gut. By his thirties his looks would begin to fade. In his forties, Brody would be average looking at best.

What bothered Louis the most though, was the young man’s innocence. He’d been like Brody, sensitive, caring, and above all, empathetic about other people. Too many gay men preyed upon people like him and Brody.

“You need to find a guy who really likes you Brody. You need someone who can be your best friend and partner in life.” Louis said the words but they didn’t really mean anything. It wasn’t untrue; it was just hard to quantify those attributes.

“Jeb thinks I should be less picky,” Brody said, the shadow of a grin crossing his face.

“Jeb’s not picky enough, I’d say,” Louis chuckled. “You’ve got pretty good instincts. Just follow your heart but think about what’s real and what isn’t.”

Brody left after another cocktail. Louis sat down and turned on Turner Classic Movies. There was an old flick with Bette Davis on. He watched as she descended into madness tormenting her sister played by Joan Crawford. He fell asleep before it ended.

*****************

“Goddammit!” Louis swore as the unwanted quack grass he’d been pulling up broke at the base. If you didn’t get the root out, it would grow back faster than it grew in the first place. He dug into the earth with his fingers finding the yoked root and pulled it out.

“Finally,” he said to the empty garden. It was early morning and no one was around. Louis sat back on his haunches and surveyed the space. So much had been accomplished.

He and Brody had turned the small garden and patio into something special. The plants still needed time to naturalize but the wisteria was already creeping up the post with its tendrils wrapping around the slats at the top of the pergola. Every night, someone from the building would occupy the gazebo and the grills they put in were quite popular. The charcoal one, which Louis favored, wasn’t used as much but the propane gas grill was full of food on most evenings.

Louis realized his temper had a short fuse but couldn’t really put his finger on why. A couple of days ago, Brody had excitedly rushed into the garden with a young man in tow. He introduced Trey, his new boyfriend, and the guy seemed nice enough. There was something off about him though. Louis couldn’t understand his immediate dislike of the attractive young man.

The old man slowly got to his feet. He limped over to a chair at the new table on the patio. The bright, hot sun felt so good on his skin. He relaxed in the chair and listened to the wind chimes play their soulful, random music.

Ding, dong, ding. Dong, ding, ding. Dan, dog, dog. Dog, Dan, dog.

“I’m losing my mind again,” Louis said to the clanging pipes. “What is wrong with me?”

But the chimes continued to sing to him, Dog, dog, Dan.

Louis’ skin was suddenly cold as a memory bobbed to the surface of his mind. A certain man, a charming man with beautiful caramel colored skin and an easy manner appeared to him. It was his old boyfriend Dan. He hadn’t thought of him in years. Why would he? The guy was a predator.

Dan Madison was a glib man who’d wheedled his way into Louis’ heart years after Jay died. They’d dated for a while until Dan got what he wanted and disappeared into the night. Louis had beaten himself up something fierce following the fiery romance. Dan had broken his heart.

Was that what bothered him about Brody’s Trey?

Louis recalled meeting the young man Brody was fawning over. Trey’s behavior seemed normal enough. He smiled and said the appropriate things. But Louis remembered Trey looked at Brody with hunger, like a lion stalking a gazelle.

Or was it how Dan looked at him. Dan was so charming and seemed to genuinely like him. They had great times going out and he was dynamite in the sack. The closer Louis got to him, the better he treated him. Until he told Dan he loved him. Dan had dumped him within a week. He was on to his next victim.

Dan wanted the fun and excitement of the early part of a relationship but when honest emotion reared its head, he had run away. That man was incapable of intimacy. Trey had the same look in his eye. Once Brody satisfied his urges, he’d be gone.

Louis pondered how to deal with this. Brody, like him, was too sensitive, too vulnerable. If he gave someone his heart, it was gone. Louis realized he’d never gotten close to another man. After he lost Jay and Dan ran away, he’d girded his heart, protecting it. Brody was really the first man he’d gotten this close to since then.

He had to save the boy’s heart.

****************

“Hey Brody,” Louis said as the younger man approached him in the garden.

“I know I’m supposed to get those patio tiles down under the pergola but Trey wants to take me out for dinner tonight,” Brody said. “Can I do it tomorrow?”

Louis considered telling him no. He wanted desperately to stop him from making the same mistake he did. “Sure Brody. Can we talk for a minute?”

“What’s up?” he asked. “Am I in trouble?”

Louis chuckled. ’Yeah’, he thought. ‘You are in BIG trouble boy.’ Instead he said this, “Of course not. I just wanted to know more about this Trey guy you’ve been seeing.”

“Isn’t he great? He’s so good to me. He takes me out and we have great talks. Louis. I think he’s a keeper,” Brody gushed.

“That’s great to hear. Have you guys exchanged the ‘L’ word yet?” Louis asked.

“Not yet.” Brody was blushing. Louis could read the man’s thoughts like an open book. He was in love.

“You should tell him,” Louis said. “Tell him how you feel so you can move it forward.”

“Isn’t it too soon? We’ve only been seeing each other for a couple of weeks.”

Louis considered his ploy. If Trey was like Dan, Brody might blame him for pushing the envelope. It was entirely possible the boy would hate him but it was a chance he had to take.

“Nonsense. You know how you feel. If he doesn’t feel the same way, it’s best to know now,” Louis said.

“I guess. What if he thinks I’m some kind of psycho for falling this fast?” Brody worried.

“Quality people understand. I’m sure he’ll respond appropriately,” Louis said. He hoped the wind chimes were right. Hell, he hoped he was right in doing this.

The next day, Louis was deadheading the cosmos when Brody walked into the garden. The boy looked so sad. He wondered what had actually happened. Better not ask though, it might backfire.

“I’m a…I’ll be laying the tile under the pergola,” Brody said softly.

“How was dinner?” Louis said then bit his tongue. Why did he ask him?

“Not so good,” Brody said. “I told him how I felt and it got really weird.”

“Really? Weird how?” Louis asked.

“I told him I was falling for him and he said that was really nice. He didn’t really say much for the rest of dinner. He just looked at me and had this smile on his face but it wasn’t a nice one, it wasn’t friendly. I shouldn’t have said anything,” Brody said.

“I’m sorry Brody. I guess I didn’t give you the best advice.”

“Not your fault,” he said kicking some dead flowers petals. “Trey called and dumped me this morning. He left a message on my phone. How shitty is that?”

Louis contained his rage. How could that piece of shit do that to such a good guy? But, it was what he’d predicted, well and the wind chimes.

“That’s terrible Brody. You’ll find a better guy. Obviously Trey couldn’t handle a man with real emotions,” Louis touched Brody’s shoulder and it was trembling.

“Yeah, I’m okay. I just thought he might be the one, you know?”

“I really am sorry about Trey,” Louis said. “You deserve better.”

“For the first time, I think so too. It wasn’t right, what he did.” Brody replied. The boy was such a transparent piece of genuine emotion. ‘Just like me,’ Louis thought.

The next afternoon, Louis was watering the herb garden. Many of the residents of the apartment building were regularly coming down and plucking fresh basil or parsley for use in their kitchens. It was just what the old gardener had hoped would happen when he planted the bed. Lily, Jeb’s special friend, had requested an herb called lovage. It had taken some searching but finally Louis found seeds in one of his catalogs. It was starting to sprout and it looked kind of pretty, the leaves were almost like celery.

“Hot enough for ya?” he heard Brody call from across the patio.

“Every once in a while I pause and spritz myself with the hose. When you get as old as me, you don’t mind the heat as much,” Louis laughed. “What brings you out here today? You’re done for the week.”

“I came to see you and finish weeding the lily bed,” he grinned. “I wanted to thank you.”

“For what?” Louis asked. Why was Brody smiling so happily?

“For saving me from Trey,” Brody said hugging him. “How did you know?”

“You’ve lost me, sweetheart,” Louis giggled beneath the guy’s embrace.

“I went to a party last night at Jim and Kevin’s. I got to talking with some of their friends and it seems Mr. Trey is a pretty well-known guy. A couple of them dated ‘Treydy Cat’ and as soon as they told him they loved him, he ran away.”

“Is that so?” Louis said hiding his grin.

“Trey talks this big game about love and devotion and commitment but once he has you on the hook, he’s outta there.” Brody pulled away and looked closely at the old man. “How did you know about him?”

“The wind told me,” Louis laughed. “Really, you wouldn’t believe me if I told you. It was just a hunch and his look was like this guy I once knew.”

“Well, I’m glad I took your advice. I never would have guessed that of him.” Brody went over to the lily bed and started pulling some dandelions from amongst the plants.

“I’m glad to hear it.” Louis said. He watched as Brody pulled on the stems and broke off tops. “Brody, you need to get the root out. They’ll just grow right back if you don’t get the root.”

The old gardener got slowly to his feet and ambled painfully over.

*******************

Brody took a long drink from his water bottle, the slick surface from the condensation almost made it slip from his hands. It was a scorcher today. This morning it had been ninety degrees and climbing. It was so humid today it was hard to breath. He looked around the garden and wiped the sweat from his face with the bottom of his t-shirt. It hardly helped since the cloth was moist with his sweat.

“I stink,” he said to the empty garden. He listened to the hum of the window air conditioners in the apartments behind him. It was so quiet otherwise with just a tiny hint of a breeze making the wind chimes clang slowly.

“I wonder where Louis is?” he pondered. Even in the hottest days the old guy was out here either puttering around or sitting at a table soaking it all in.

Brody looked at the potted hibiscus tree. Its leaves were limp and pale. That was weird. Louis watered that tree morning and night. The soil in the pot looked bone dry. He got up to get the hose. As he filled the watering can, he could feel a breeze waft across his skin.

Ding, dong, dong, ding, he heard the wind chimes ring. Dong, ding, dying, dad. Dad, dying, dying, dad.

‘What the hell?’ Brody thought as he turned off the water and looked over at the chimes.

Dying, dad, dad, dying, they seemed to say. ‘Where’s Louis?” he stammered. He looked at the hibiscus pot again. He looked at the lemon and lime trees. Those pots were dry as a bone as well.

“Louis!” he called out and ran for the window of the garden level apartment. Brody leaned over and peered through the glass. The inside of the apartment was dark, dark as death. He put his hands around his eyes to cut the glare. He saw Louis’ foot. It was pointing upwards from the floor. That’s all he could see.

Panic rose in the young man and he ran for the back door. “Ian!” he called out. “Ian! Get your keys. Ian!” he yelled. He unlocked the door and rushed down the hall. “Ian!” he screamed. “It’s Louis!”

When he got to Guy and Ian’s door, the slim older man was looking at him curiously. “What’s going on?”

“Louis is lying on the floor in his apartment. Get your key. We’ve got to see if he’s alright,” Brody sobbed. “He’s dead. I just know it.”

“Let’s check it out. Brody, I’m sure he’s just fine,” Ian said quickly grabbing the large key ring. He hurried along with the young man though. “He’s just napping or something.”

“Ian, he didn’t water the pots this morning,” Brody said. “The hibiscus is bone dry.”

“Oh God,” Ian swore. “Let’s get downstairs.” They ran down the stairs to Louis’ door.

Brody could see Ian was shaking as he tried to get the key into the lock. “Let me,” Brody said taking it from his hand. Using both hands, he steadied the master key and opened the door.

The first thing that hit them was a wave of hot, steamy air. It was like opening an oven.

The next thing to assault their senses was the strong smell of urine. It made both men cover their noses and mouths in disgust. Brody recovered first and jumped into the apartment.

“Louis!” he cried out. “Louis talk to me.”

Brody saw him on the floor; his pale blue shorts were wet. Louis opened one eye, the other remained shut. “Bum-E,” Louis slurred. Brody could see half the man’s face looked slack and lifeless.

“Ian call 911,” Brody shouted. “You’re gonna be okay Louis. We’ve got help coming.”

Louis lifted his right hand. “Bum-E,” he mumbled again. Louis’s right leg moved. His left side held him down.

“It’s okay. I’ll get you some water.”

Louis gave him a slight nod to the right. Brody ran to the kitchen and filled a glass half full. He returned and tried to pull him up. Louis grabbed his hand and Brody felt like he was pulling up a corpse. He put the glass to his mouth and some liquid dribbled in while most just splashed against the closed right side of his lips.

“They’ll be here right away. You shouldn’t move him Brody,” Ian said as he approached.

“He’s fucking dehydrated,” Brody yelled. “I think he had a stroke or something.”

Ian watched and waited and within five minutes they heard a siren in the distance growing steadily louder.

Brody was talking to Louis, saying soothing things. Ian watched and it struck him. The boy loved him. He really loved the old man.

*************

Brody looked at his hands. They were long and the ends of his fingers were blunt. The veins stood out and he flexed them. These were the hands of a tradesman, a laborer. Thinking about them distracted his worries some.

He was worried about Louis.

What if they put him in a home far away? He’d miss the old coot. Brody figured he’d come to rely on Louis for advice, for comfort, hell, for companionship. The old guy was the first adult man who really cared about him. No one else was there for him like Louis had been these past couple of months.

Brody went to the hospital every day, sometimes twice a day. Louis looked at him with gratitude. But, Brody knew it wasn’t enough. He needed Louis more than ever. Why did he have to get sick? It wasn’t fair once he’d found a guy he could really trust, who liked him, then he has a stroke.

“Brody. How’re you doing?” he heard Guy’s voice ask. The young man looked up and Guy and Ian were standing in the waiting room smiling.

“The social worker isn’t ready yet,” he said quietly. “What’re they gonna do with him?”

“He’ll have to go into a nursing home,” Ian said and his voice sounded sad. “He can’t walk or take care of himself.”

Brody looked back at his hands. He felt useless.

“Can you come with me?” they heard a voice from the doorway. “We’re ready for the meeting.”

Brody, Guy, and Ian followed the woman into the next room. She gestured at chairs in front of a desk.

“Please have a seat,” she said settling in behind the desk. “We need to talk before we go to his room.”

“We don’t really know why we’re here. Why did you call us?” Guy asked her.

“Louis can’t really communicate except on paper yet. His writing is a bit shaky but from what I understand you are the people he considers himself closest to,” she said.

“He’s a dear friend of ours but I don’t know what we can do. We’re caretakers in the building where he lives but we can’t provide any medical help for him,” Ian said. “We can provide moral support but…”

“We asked Louis who he wanted with him when he made the decision of what to do. He wrote your names on paper and when I asked him who you were he wrote the word ‘family.’ That’s all I know,” she smiled. “Does he have any relatives?”

Guy and Ian shook their heads.

“Just us,” Brody said softly. “He’s only got us.”

“Well, I’m sure your presence will help him cope with this transition,” she said. “We found an assisted living facility in Blaine where he can go. It’s newly remodeled and Medicare will cover most of his needs. When his finances are exhausted, Medicaid will kick in. He’ll be well taken care of. Here are some brochures,” she said handing out some pamphlets. “It helps when friends can reassure the transition is for the best. It’s sometimes quite hard on them.”

Brody looked through the brochure at the smiling elderly faces peeking from their seats in wheelchairs. Grinning young nursing assistants handed apples and blankets to them. It looked okay but then it was a brochure. They weren’t going to put the dirty bed pans and scowling, annoyed attendants in there.

“Does it have a garden?” Brody asked. All he could find were some trees, bushes, and a few oversized hostas.

“It’s landscaped quite nicely,” she said and shuffled her papers. “They have events, classes, games, and of course daily therapy.”

“He needs a place with a garden,” Brody said. “It’ll kill him if he doesn’t have a garden to look at.”

“This is the facility that has space and can accept um,” she paused and looked at the paper in front of her, “Louis. He has limited financial means. It’s quite nice.”

“Can’t you have someone come by his apartment and take care of him?” Brody asked. “It would be cheaper, wouldn’t it?”

“Medicare will pay for therapy and some home help but, the patient needs full time care. They won’t pay for 24 hour care in an apartment,” she said. “Are we ready?”

“This is horrible,” Ian cried. “All his friends live in downtown Minneapolis. Isn’t there something closer?”

“It’s not right to just ship the guy to Blaine where he doesn’t know anyone,” Guy said. “He’s a person.” He struggled with this. Louis wouldn’t handle this well.

“I’m so sorry. We’d hoped having friends encourage this transition would ease the situation. The only facility he can afford is in Blaine. There are no other options,” she said closing her folder with a snap. “I don’t like uprooting people either but what can I do?”

Guy and Ian looked at Brody with scowls on their faces. Brody felt wooden inside. He looked down at his hands, his ordinary, everyday hands.

“What if I took care of him?” he asked.

“Brody, it’s a lot of work and what about when you go to your job,” Guy said.

“What if I quit the restaurant and took care of him?” Brody said.

“You don’t understand. Louis doesn’t have the money to pay you. He lives off his Social Security and that’s about it,” Guy said. “It wouldn’t work.”

“Wait a minute,” the social worker said raising a hand. “Would you be willing to get a home healthcare certification?”

“I’d do whatever I needed to for Louis. If he doesn’t have his garden, he’ll just die. He’ll curl up and die.” Brody choked the words out.

“There’s a six week course at the community college downtown Minneapolis,” she said. “Once you have that, Medicare will pay you forty hours a week for care. It won’t be enough to take care of him but it’s a start.”

“I’ll help,” Ian said. “I can fill in.”

“Hold on,” Guy said. “We can’t do this. Even if Brody gets this certification, it will take six weeks. Where does Louis stay until that happens?”

“You said his apartment is downtown Minneapolis. Ebenezer has some short term vacancies. I could get him placed there until Brody gets certified.”

“Ebenezer is right down the block. We can bring him to his garden for visits,” Ian said excitedly. “This could work.”

“Brody, you do realize he needs a lot more than forty hours a week of care,” the social worker said looking at him closely. “You’d only get paid for that time.”

“I’ll do it,” Brody said. “What does it pay?”

“Thirteen an hour,” she said.

Brody’s face lit up. “That’s more than I make at the restaurant. Plus, Louis will get to keep his garden.”

It was settled. The social worker and the three men finalized the plans and went to see Louis. Louis cried when he found out what they were going to do for him. Seeing the old man break down moved them all.

Louis got to keep his garden.

*******************

“Brody, how’re you holding up?” Ian asked as he watched the young man grab a couple of nails and his hammer.

“I’m doing fine. I miss him but he taught me a lot,” he said. “Now I can take care of the garden. I want to keep it just like he planned it.”

“Is the new job working out for you?” the older man asked.

Brody smiled at him. “Ned’s a hoot. He’s such a little bitch most of the time but once in a while he’ll say thank you and I know he means it.”

“Did you know taking care of Louis would lead to a new career?”

“No. I just wanted to help a friend. But, I found I love doing it.”

Ian watched as Brody knelt down and pounded the nails into the wood until they started to emerge from the other side.

“So it was all worth it?” Ian asked.

“This spring when Louis saw the wisteria blooming he wept. He said it was just like when he was a kid and the whole side of his grandfather’s barn would bloom. He took a blossom and pressed it to his nose. I gave him that. Yeah, it was worth it.”

Ian watched as Brody finished hammering the sign into the post of the pergola.

“How does that look?”

Ian read the sign and grinned. ‘The Louis Gable Jones Memorial Garden.’

“It would make him so proud.”

Brody stared at his hands, hands that could pound a nail and also care for someone who needed it.

Brody felt no sadness anymore. Sure, he missed the old guy being around. But, he felt something else that Louis had given him. He felt pride and more than that, he found a purpose. Louis had helped him find his part to play in life. What more could a son ask of a father?

This story is dedicated to the people who died before we knew what AIDS was. It's also dedicated to those who survived it and lost people they love.
Copyright © 2017 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Wow... just wow. What a great story. The ending moved me to tears. Louis was very lucky to have a friend like Brody (and vice versa). His love of the garden, Jay, and Brody came through quite clear, as did Brody's love for Louis. We should all be so lucky to have experienced that in our lives. Well done, Cole.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/20/2014 10:11 AM, Valkyrie said:
Wow... just wow. What a great story. The ending moved me to tears. Louis was very lucky to have a friend like Brody (and vice versa). His love of the garden, Jay, and Brody came through quite clear, as did Brody's love for Louis. We should all be so lucky to have experienced that in our lives. Well done, Cole.
Thanks Valkyrie! I'm glad you enjoyed it and it worked. Ran said this is my best story so far. It's such a compliment, I moved you to tears. I cried too. Brody will be in my next novel this fall called The Barbed Wire Heart. :)
Link to comment

I read Button 18 before this and was tearing up; this story finished the process and I'm in tears. It was a beautiful story of friendship and what can survive even after death.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/30/2014 01:35 AM, avidreadr said:
I read Button 18 before this and was tearing up; this story finished the process and I'm in tears. It was a beautiful story of friendship and what can survive even after death.
Oh Avid! I'm glad it moved you. Thank you for the review and I'm happy the story theme came through. It's one of my favorites.
Link to comment

Cole----Twice in an hour you've made me tear up! First with Button chap. 18 and now this. This chapter had so many layers in it and all of them were so profound. I remember the beginning of the AIDS epidemic and how it was called GRID. It was so scary back then, knowing that men were dying and no one knew why or even seemed to care. You portrayed Louis' feelings and heartache beautifully. I really love this story and look forward to each chapter because you introduce us to such interesting characters and give us glimpses into their lives. Happy that Brody will be in the next novel. Thank you so much. :worship:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/30/2014 02:01 AM, LadyDe said:
Cole----Twice in an hour you've made me tear up! First with Button chap. 18 and now this. This chapter had so many layers in it and all of them were so profound. I remember the beginning of the AIDS epidemic and how it was called GRID. It was so scary back then, knowing that men were dying and no one knew why or even seemed to care. You portrayed Louis' feelings and heartache beautifully. I really love this story and look forward to each chapter because you introduce us to such interesting characters and give us glimpses into their lives. Happy that Brody will be in the next novel. Thank you so much. :worship:
Thanks LadyDe! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I was in high school when the Gay Cancer first hit. It was so scary. Along with my own acceptance I was gay, I feared what that meant for me. No one knew anything except people were dying sometimes quickly. I wrote this and a couple of weeks later The Normal Heart came on HBO. It confirmed my recollections at the time. I appreciate your kind words. :)
Link to comment

This is a beautiful tale of care and true, selfless love. It touched me, - thank you

for writing it. It brought back memories of people I've known and lost, and how

much I gained from knowing them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/30/2014 07:06 AM, Stephen said:
This is a beautiful tale of care and true, selfless love. It touched me, - thank you

for writing it. It brought back memories of people I've known and lost, and how

much I gained from knowing them.

Thanks Stephen. I wanted a look back at those we've lost and those who survived. We do gain a lot from their presence in our lives. I appreciate the kind words.:)
Link to comment

I absolutely loved this story , so glad that Louis saved Brody from Trey it sounds as though he really would have put Brody through the wringer if it had continued for to long ,

and for Louis to live the rest of his life being in the place that he loved was the best part so few elderly people get that and he had it all BC of friends who loved and cared about his happiness

 

Such amazing characters , you truly have a wonderful way with your characters and how they come across in the stories

 

You are definitely a gifted writer

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/30/2014 01:03 PM, 1brokNangel said:
I absolutely loved this story , so glad that Louis saved Brody from Trey it sounds as though he really would have put Brody through the wringer if it had continued for to long ,

and for Louis to live the rest of his life being in the place that he loved was the best part so few elderly people get that and he had it all BC of friends who loved and cared about his happiness

 

Such amazing characters , you truly have a wonderful way with your characters and how they come across in the stories

 

You are definitely a gifted writer

What a nice compliment. I really try to develop characters who seem real and are interesting. Louis deserved to be treated well and he gave Brody so much. Thank you so much BrokenAngel. Very appreciated!
Link to comment

I also lived through and vividly remember the beginning of the AIDS epidemic. It brought back a lot of memories, many of them painful. But we don't ever want to forget; we can't forget. Add me to the list of readers that teared up twice, probably in the same hour. First with the latest Button chapter, and now here. The Loring Lane series has been so varied, and yet every story has caught my attention and held it to the end. Thanks for continuing the "tradition". With your hints about a thread involving characters from this story and Button, could it be that Brent plays heavily in your story plans? It'll be interesting to see where The Barbed Wire Heart takes us. Thanks, Cole!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/01/2014 11:03 PM, mickey1952 said:
I also lived through and vividly remember the beginning of the AIDS epidemic. It brought back a lot of memories, many of them painful. But we don't ever want to forget; we can't forget. Add me to the list of readers that teared up twice, probably in the same hour. First with the latest Button chapter, and now here. The Loring Lane series has been so varied, and yet every story has caught my attention and held it to the end. Thanks for continuing the "tradition". With your hints about a thread involving characters from this story and Button, could it be that Brent plays heavily in your story plans? It'll be interesting to see where The Barbed Wire Heart takes us. Thanks, Cole!
Thanks Mickey. I realized after posting it was a double dose of people passing away, but it also needed to be mentioned. Brent will be the central character in the sequel. You are right about that. However, Craig and Mirabelle are part of it as well. At least a couple of characters from Voice of the Garden will be in the story. Certainly Trey makes his way into the story. :)
Link to comment

I came to this story from reading Button, just to see who the new characters in that series would be...and I got so much more out of it than that. Now I have to read the chapter where Craig finds his son on the doorstep--after that, I'm going to red the rest of this story--it's far too good to pass up. Reading the description didn't really lure me in, but I'm here now!

Thanks so much, Cole!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/24/2014 08:33 AM, ColumbusGuy said:
I came to this story from reading Button, just to see who the new characters in that series would be...and I got so much more out of it than that. Now I have to read the chapter where Craig finds his son on the doorstep--after that, I'm going to red the rest of this story--it's far too good to pass up. Reading the description didn't really lure me in, but I'm here now!

Thanks so much, Cole!

Oh good!!! You'll be ready for the sequel to Button then. I use characters from both Button and Voice of the Garden in the new story. You'll be ready to read next Wednesday when Barbed Wire Heart starts to be posted. I'm glad you're enjoying them. :)
Link to comment

This is my favorite of all the Loring Lane stories. My grandmother was a garden lover. She stayed in her house until she was ninety and gardening was one of the things which kept her going. The legacy Louis gave Brody by giving him purpose and joy in life will last forever. Thank you for this beautiful tale.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/16/2014 07:38 AM, Timothy M. said:
This is my favorite of all the Loring Lane stories. My grandmother was a garden lover. She stayed in her house until she was ninety and gardening was one of the things which kept her going. The legacy Louis gave Brody by giving him purpose and joy in life will last forever. Thank you for this beautiful tale.
Thanks Tim! Its mine as well which is why im using it and Button as the sources for Barbed Wire Heart. I really appreciate your kind words. Yeah!
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I stumbled upon this series this morning and have read them all by now. Such great stories, all of them, but this one actually had ne crying. For real. So sweet and sad. Love is truly wonderful.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/24/2014 07:21 AM, Puppilull said:
I stumbled upon this series this morning and have read them all by now. Such great stories, all of them, but this one actually had ne crying. For real. So sweet and sad. Love is truly wonderful.
Thank you!!! Im so glad you enjoyed them. Voice of the Garden is pretty special to me. It was a story where certain memories could be revived and the emotions sorted. I also happen to adore Louis and Brody. Those characters feel so real to me. I really appreciate the wonderful review Puppilull. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

You know Cole, I should be really mad at you right now. I just finished this story and cried for the last several minutes. It was beautifully written, and your characters were very real. Thank you for this great story. Jeff
I should tell you I am enjoying all the 1550 stories. Again, thank you.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 09/03/2016 01:25 PM, JeffreyL said:

You know Cole, I should be really mad at you right now. I just finished this story and cried for the last several minutes. It was beautifully written, and your characters were very real. Thank you for this great story. Jeff

I should tell you I am enjoying all the 1550 stories. Again, thank you.

Oh my heavens! What a wonderful endorsement. Thank you for such a kind review. I'm humbled. I do love this story.

Link to comment

I guess today after binge reading Button I started to explore your stories. Together with Brent, Brody is another character I will think fondly. Hope they will have a great life. Great chapter, very touching.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..