Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dinner is Prompt-ly at Eight - 1. Prompt #328 - The Spell

These two guys got stuck in my head after reading the prompt and this is how I got them out.

Prompt #328 – The Spell

“You expect me to believe that?”

“I don’t care what you believe Evan. I’m telling you, the guy’s a witch,” my roommate said with a confident grin. “I’ve never felt this way about a guy before. Not ever.”

Evan was acting very strangely so I wasn’t terribly surprised at his characterization of this mystery guy. While Wiccans and ‘witches’ certainly existed, the whole ‘spell’ thing was really weird.

“I’m confused,” I finally manage to squeeze out of my brain. “So you think you’ve been bewitched or something?”

Evan sighed. His long face looked determined, ready to tackle whatever. “I don’t know what’s happening. He’s just everything I want in a mate. I’ve never felt like this before.”

I didn’t know what to say but this wasn’t the guy who moved in just a few months ago. The Evan who moved in was a slacker pizza delivery driver who played World of Warcraft for days on end, forgot to shower, smoked pounds of weed, and ate whatever was handy.

“Are you really going to the gym with some guy?” I asked.

“Yeah,” he smiled. “I’m getting in shape. I’m just sick of being a loser. My new man deserves better.”

I was shocked as he marched out of the kitchen towards his bedroom. The shower came on a minute later as I sipped my coffee and pondered the situation.

“I’m pissed,” I said to no one.

I’d gotten a straight, single roommate for a reason. After living with gay guys and even girls, I wanted a low stress living situation. Straight guys were low maintenance, unlike the prima donnas and fag hags who otherwise invaded my life. After Geoff left, it was too stressful to worry about other people’s pain. I was determined to process my own, play some games and forget about how lonely I was.

Now I had some gym bunny who would probably start primping and wanting to have long talks about his feelings for Mr. Wonderful.

Yuck!

That made me start to question this whole deal. I walked over to the bathroom and listened to the water run for a few moments wrestling with my thoughts. There were questions lingering and growing in the back of my mind. Finally, I knocked on the door.

“What?” I heard Evan call out from the shower.

“What’s this witch’s name?”

“Why do you care?” he called back.

“I’m just curious. You brought him up,” I yelled back.

That’s when I heard the doorbell ring. The annoyance I was feeling about Evan’s sudden change was heightened by the prospect of seeing his new friend. Why did things have to change? I liked my quiet settled life, a life that was punctuated by the occasional tryst but nothing substantial. Evan was the perfect roommate because I never had to think about him.

He was a nice fixture.

I opened the door with a sigh. His appearance struck me dumb. The guy was gorgeous. He had lush brown hair with a hint of reddish golden highlights. He was in basketball shorts and a tank top which only enhanced the man’s build. He looked up and his smile dazzled me.

“Fuck,” I said impulsively.

“Hi! I’m Roger,” he said thrusting a big hand towards me. I was awestruck.

“Um, Thad, my name is,” I stuttered nervously. Jeez, Evan certainly had fantastic taste. No wonder he was considering a walk on my side of the aisle. Roger was a walking, talking wet dream.

“Is Evan ready yet?” he asked. His bright blue eyes eagerly looked into my own.

“He’s wet and I’m showering,” I said. What the hell was wrong with me?

“I’m sorry, but what?” he chuckled and looked me up and down. “Can I come in?”

“I just woke up. Sorry. Please, come in,” I said moving to the side. Drop Dead Gorgeous walked right past and the aroma of Old Spice deodorant tickled my nose.

“Evan’s just finishing up,” I said following him. God, the man’s back was so broad and his ass impossible round and firm.

“Cool.” Roger just looked around the room. “Nice place.”

“Thanks. I live here,” I said stupidly. “I mean, I’ve lived here for some time now.”

“Cool. Can you check on Evan? We really should be going. Our racketball time is coming up shortly.”

No wonder this guy wanted out of here. I was acting like a complete moron. He probably thought I was a fugitive from a looney bin or something. I walked back to the bathroom and knocked on the door.

“Roger’s here. Are you gonna be much longer?” I asked. Evan opened the door and my mouth dropped open. Instead of his usual stoner clothes, he was dressed just like Cutie Pie, basketball shorts and a tank top. Evan was looking hot, not slouched and red-eyed like usual. His chest was still glistening with water.

“I just need my shoes,” Evan said with a grin. “So what do you think?”

“He’s beautiful,” I said. Evan got a pained look on his face. “Oh, yeah, Roger is quite handsome.”

I watched as my subdued roommate went into his room and pulled on socks and Keds. He gave me a half smile and left to greet his new, well, boyfriend, I guess.

“What’s up Rog?” he asked in his usual nonchalant way. Roger’s face lit up as Evan approached him.

“Ready to get your ass handed to you?” the stud teased.

“You wish,” Evan beamed back. “Later,” he said to me and I was stunned by this odd turn of events.

The next two weeks were a whirlwind of activity. Evan quit the pizza place and signed up at a temp agency. He said his new boyfriend didn’t want him working nights. It was strange though. While Evan would go to the gym every day with Roger, his evenings were spent with me. He’d cook dinner and we’d watch movies or play cards. It was really great getting to know him better.

I wondered why he needed his nights free when he spent his days with Captain Fantastic.

Finally, one night I couldn’t contain my curiosity any longer.

“Does Roger work nights or something?” I asked as Evan put a bowl of pasta in front of me.

“Sometimes,” he said cryptically. “His schedule varies.”

“I’m asking because you said he wanted you free for the evenings.”

“I never said that,” Evan smiled. “Dig in while it’s still hot.”

“Yes you did. You said your new boyfriend didn’t like you working nights,” I said stubbornly. I remembered him saying those exact words.

“What are you doing tomorrow night?” Evan asked abruptly.

“Nothing, why?”

“Me and my boyfriend are having a date night,” he said smiling broadly.

I studied his face which was turning beet red. “You mean Roger hasn’t taken you out yet?”

“Nope,” he said. “We’ve just been working out and stuff.”

I was afraid of the next question but it was burning a hole in my gut. “So, have you guys?”

“Have we what?” Evan looked at me quizzically.

“Have you, you know, been intimate?” I asked. It was bothering me so much. I didn’t really know why but the idea of Roger and Evan together was irking me. I had to know.

“I haven’t kissed him if that’s your question,” Evan said as he continued eating.

“You haven’t even kissed?” I was shocked. “You said he had you under a spell and you haven’t even made out yet?”

“Nope. Tomorrow night is the night,” Evan said. His face showed just how excited he was about that prospect.

It was making me nauseous.

The next night when I got off of work, I stopped to pick up a rotisserie chicken and some potato salad. If Evan and Roger were having their first real date, I was going to splurge. I grabbed the most expensive ice cream they had to drown my sorrows and fill my anxious gut.

When I got home and opened the front door, I heard music but the living room was dark. A beam of light was coming from the kitchen though and I followed it.

Evan was placing a rose in the middle of the table set for two. There were candles and Sinatra was playing in the background.

“I didn’t know you were having your date here,” I stammered. I was pretty pissed at him. Why didn’t he warn me? I didn’t want to lounge around watching Mr. Perfect’s hands all over Evan’s body.

“Of course we’re having it here,” Evan said looking at me. His smile was electric, sex and warmth all wrapped up in one look.

“What time is Roger supposed to be here?” I asked taking the guilty pleasures out of the bag and putting them in the frig and freezer. “I’ll just make myself scarce.”

“Who said anything about Roger?” Evan asked. I froze.

“Your new boyfriend?” I asked as the pieces fell into place. “You mean it’s me?”

“Yep. It’s always been you. I thought you knew that.”

His arms came around my back and rested on my stomach. Then, he kissed my neck.

It felt like magic.

Copyright © 2017 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 06/03/2014 01:09 AM, sleepie said:
Cute!
Thanks! I love when someone takes charge and fixes the other's heart!
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/03/2014 03:08 AM, aditus said:
Someone had a plan. Lovely.
Thanks Addy! I couldnt help myself. Im a romantic.
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 06/03/2014 05:12 AM, Irritable1 said:
Oh, how I love a nice, "It's always been you"! Was he making him jealous on purpose though?
Thanks Irritable1!!! I do too. I think Evan was hurt at first but he then started playing it out. Thad wasnt as indifferent to his "fixture" as he told himself.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/03/2014 07:03 AM, Valkyrie said:
A sweet and lovely story :)
Thanks Valkyrie! I really like those guys :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/06/2014 10:16 PM, RolandQ said:
Very nice. I like the growing intimacy - even if unrecognized.
Thanks Roland! It was a fun exercise in exposing feelings neither of them could articulate. Trying to do more showing than telling.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I enjoyed this. A gay romance with a touch of O. Henry.

Link to comment
On 06/07/2014 12:53 PM, said:
I enjoyed this. A gay romance with a touch of O. Henry.
Thanks Eugene! I'm glad you liked it. I didn't know O. Henry did anything like this. Though I love reading stories about suppressed desires. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

awww, that's just kind of adorable. Good job though, the ending was surprising, but it fit really well. perfect little pick-me-up

Link to comment
On 06/07/2014 04:38 PM, Sasha Distan said:
awww, that's just kind of adorable. Good job though, the ending was surprising, but it fit really well. perfect little pick-me-up
Thanks Sasha! It was fun and I do like my little surprises. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/08/2014 10:32 AM, Rebelghost85 said:
Heh. I liked the twist at the end. This is a good salve as I wait for chapter 15 of "Button".
Thanks Rebel! I'm glad you enjoyed it. "15 to life" is ready for tomorrow's posting! :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/09/2014 07:39 PM, nostic said:
Eh, though it was sorta obvious, you make it look nice. Good job.
Thanks Nostic! I appreciate the review. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/10/2014 07:18 AM, Slytherin said:
*snickers* That was a sweet story. Very cute
:D
Thanks LBO! I love clueless men. They are so cute. ;)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/15/2015 03:14 PM, Dabeagle said:
Cute, I liked the twist.
Thanks! I had forgotten about that prompt story. Im glad you liked it! :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..