Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dinner is Prompt-ly at Eight - 14. Prompt #384 The Big Sleep

Perhaps a little Raymond Chandler will help Donnie Malone out. Or not.

The Big Sleep

Prompt #384 – First Line

“Since when do I have to tell you everything?”

The swarthy Middle Eastern man growled at Donnie, giving him a dirty look. “I’m trying to save your life. Now tell me, what did the police say to you?”

Donnie looked out the glass at the whirling white snow. He was scared, confused, and now barreling down the Interstate in the middle of a blizzard. Donnie felt like he’d been kidnapped not saved. “You’re the one who got me into this mess. That’s according to you,” he finally barked while rubbing away the fog on the inside of the car window.

Donnie saw Fahd’s cheek twitch in anger. His face was bunched and tense. Instead of heading to the airport, the man decided it was too risky to get on a plane even with a fake driver’s license and credit card. The so-called butler’s behavior had made Donnie even less cooperative. ‘Why the hell should he trust him? Because of a kiss?’ the man thought and pursed his lips more tightly.

“I didn’t know this would happen,” Fahd said, a little more quietly this time. “I told you. I didn’t set up this for someone to get killed. It was a stupid television program, I swear.”

“I don’t believe you,” Donnie said, rubbing his eyes. “All you’ve ever told me are lies. You admitted tricking me to be part of this reality show. How can I trust you?”

“I told you,” Fahd said, putting his hand on the other man’s shoulder. This time Donnie didn’t have the heart to shrug it away. “All those reality TV shows are scripted. People play parts and there are lines and rehearsals and everything. This idea was to film people who are not alike living together and interacting naturally, or at least as spontaneously as we could get. I had no idea when they cast you it would end up like this.”

“What was the name of this fake show again?” Donnie asked, looking deeply into the other man’s eyes. He figured he could catch the man lying if he could see his reaction.

“It was called ‘Strange Bedfellows,’ Fahd said with a sigh. “It was supposed to be a cross between ‘Wife Swappers’ and ‘Big Brother.’ I really thought it was a great idea.”

“So, you never cast me in the part?” Donnie asked, peering at the other man.

“No,” Fahd said, glancing over at him. “You have to believe me. Everyone else was handpicked by me except for you. The producer said it was you or no one else.”

Donnie figured the man was telling the truth, or at least he seemed to be from his behavior. Fahd was obviously nervous and driving through the snowstorm was harrowing, but he wasn’t evasive or dismissive. That was a good sign he was telling Donnie what he really believed to be the truth.

“Fine.” Fahd snorted and dug into his pocket. “I know you still don’t believe me about how I set the whole thing up, but this will prove what is happening is real.” He handed Donnie a folded piece of paper. It was printed off a computer and the line at the top said it was from the San Francisco Chronicle. “Read it!”

Donnie started with the headline, “Local actress found shot in front of home.’ Underneath it was a picture of the woman he’d married and knew as Kevyn. Sure enough, it was her round face, toothy grin, and square features. The caption on the photo said her name was ‘Brenda Flannigan.’

“Police were called to the Mission District of San Francisco with reports of shots fired. Bystanders described the scene as like out of a movie. ‘The man was dressed in a tan overcoat and pork pie hat. He stepped right up to her and shot her dead. It was unreal,’ said Anita Planter, a neighbor. ‘I couldn’t believe my eyes. It was just bang, bang, and she fell right over.’

Authorities aren’t releasing any details except the name of the victim, Brenda Denise Flannigan. Flannigan is a well-known local actor in the theater scene here in the city. Recently, she was rumored to have been rehearsing for a part on a reality television show. Ms. Flannigan’s agent was not available for comment.”

Donnie let his hand drop. He heard the paper crumple in his fist. “Somebody really shot her.”

Fahd nodded, squinting into the maelstrom of white outside the car. “They tried the same with me. I grabbed the gun from his hand and threw it into the alley.”

Donnie felt dizzy. His thoughts were as opaque as the swirling snow. This was so strange, twisted even. It reminded him of the old movies he watched with his grandpa who called them ‘hard-boiled.’ In those black-and-whites the private detective would race to save the girl only to find out she wasn’t who she seemed. Shots fired into the night and lips would kiss with deadly impact. He could also remember when his grandfather explained what the title meant. It scared him.

Donnie shivered. “It’s like ‘The Big Sleep,’” he whispered. Fahd looked at him briefly, a confused look on his face. “Nothing is real and it doesn’t make sense until the end.”

“This is real,” Fahd said, softly. He paused and asked, “Why are you talking about sleeping?”

“No,” Donnie said, shaking his head. “The Big Sleep is death. It’s a movie where nothing is as it seems.”

Fahd didn’t say anything for a moment. Donnie looked at him and saw the man was chewing thoughtfully on his dark red lips, lips that only an hour ago had been latched on his.

“Why did you kiss me?” Donnie asked, realizing his voice sounded breathless, meek.

Fahd wiped his cheek. “I had to. I wanted to…I...when I saw you I was so relieved.” The man wouldn’t look at Donnie instead staring out into the gray filtered light.

“You like me?” Donnie asked. “Is that why you kissed me?”

Fahd sighed and nodded slowly. “You know this whole project was a bust. Nothing was working right. Brenda was emoting like a puppet and you were so sweet. The only interesting shots I’d get were when you thought Brenda was fooling around with the employees. Your face was so hurt and filled with despair.” Fahd cleared his throat. “It was useless footage of course. Who wants to watch a reality show with such honest emotion and sadness?”

Donnie thought about what Fahd said and turned to him. “You started caring for me, didn’t you?”

Fahd nodded and looked over for a minute. The swarthy man’s eyes were full of longing. “I wanted to comfort you and make you know someone was there.” The man gave Donnie a tight grin and his eyes returned to the road. “I fell in love with you.”

Donnie snorted. “You did not.”

“I did,” Fahd said, his voice like a dry, lonely wind. “I had to come for you.”

Donnie looked down at his hands. He saw they were clenched so tight his fingernails hurt. “Why didn’t you say anything?”

Fahd just wiped his cheek again.

I wonder who will help Donnie and Fahd figure out this mess. We won't know until Comicfan gives us the next clue!!!
Copyright © 2017 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Another great installment in the Malone Saga! Lots more questions that need to be answered. Is it Friday yet? :P

Link to comment

And the plot thickens. Very interesting and creative turn of events you've come up with. I'm impressed! Still wary about the butler though!

Link to comment
On 01/14/2015 11:00 AM, Valkyrie said:
Another great installment in the Malone Saga! Lots more questions that need to be answered. Is it Friday yet? :P
Haha!! Thanks Val! I usually need the weekend to ruminate before I can figure out the next step. It's fun doing serials like this. :)
Link to comment
On 01/14/2015 11:01 AM, LitLover said:
And the plot thickens. Very interesting and creative turn of events you've come up with. I'm impressed! Still wary about the butler though!
Thanks LitLover!!! Certainly Donnie is worried. It does seem strange that Fahd just shows up and 'saves' him. We'll see what happens next! I'm wondering too!!!
Link to comment
:huh: I dunno about this. Fahd snatched the gun from his would-be killer and flung it away and then... drove to Minneapolis? :unsure: Who is this producer who has such an interest in Donnie anyway?
Link to comment
On 01/14/2015 11:56 AM, Irritable1 said:
:huh: I dunno about this. Fahd snatched the gun from his would-be killer and flung it away and then... drove to Minneapolis? :unsure: Who is this producer who has such an interest in Donnie anyway?
So many good questions! We will see what comes next. Fahd is quite remarkable! Thanks for the review Irri! :)
Link to comment
On 01/15/2015 07:32 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
Cole, please step away from the Tequila bottle and go have some coffee. No way did you come up with that twist sober! :P
Do you think Chandler was sober at any time he was writing? I believe pickling your brain in gin is a requirement for hard-boiled mystery scenarios! ;)
Link to comment
On 01/16/2015 04:53 AM, aditus said:
Gin! My thoughts exactly! God I hate this stuff! Not the story! Jeez, you make me crazy too! :blink:
Hahaha!!! Thanks Addy! The Twisted Tale of Donnie Malone is almost finished. Then we can both stay away from gin!!!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..