Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dinner is Prompt-ly at Eight - 16. The Twisted Tale of Donnie Malone - No Prompt

Here is the final installment in the Donnie Malone saga. This is also the end of my expressionist period. I hope you enjoyed it.

The Twisted Tale of Donnie Malone – Strangely enough, no prompt.

 

“What are you doing up there?” Fahd shouted up the stairs as the last rat-a-tat-tat of the printer spit out the last page.

“I’ve got something for you,” Donnie called back. He neatened up the pages and put a clip on the top. After running his finger over the title page which read, “Pursued; A Love Story,” he stood up and bounded down the stairs. Fahd was sitting in his favorite lounge chair flipping through the latest Cook’s Illustrated magazine.

“What is it?” Fahd said, putting the magazine to one side.

“I wrote this for you,” Donnie said.

“What’s it about?” Fahd asked, extending his hand.

“It’s about meeting you,” Donnie answered. He could feel his face grow warm. “It’s about us.”

“Sounds boring,” Fahd said, winking at his husband. “We met at work. You had a cubicle opposite of mine. Who would want to read about that?”

“I may have embellished it a little,” Donnie said with a smirk. “I mean every word though.”

Fahd arched an eyebrow at the other man and started reading. Donnie wanted to watch every flutter of expression on the man’s face, but knew he’d drive himself batty if he did. He walked out to the kitchen and took out a cookbook. Maybe he’d make some brownies while Fahd read it. Donnie quickly started gathering the ingredients and tried not to think about Fahd’s face flickering in the lamp light.

***************

“Smells good in here,” Fahd said making Donnie look up.

“They’re almost done,” he answered. “So?”

“How is this like us?”’ Fahd asked, lifting up the sheaf of papers that now looked quite crumpled. “How did I become a butler who was really a reality T.V. show director?”

Donnie sighed. “I made up the story, but it’s how I felt before, during and after we met. At first I thought you were just another boring claims adjuster like me watching from across the room. Then I found out what an exciting man you really are.” His husband looked lost for a moment and then he nodded his head.

“So, you really felt that alone and scared before we started dating? When you said you were broke at the beginning, it wasn’t about money, was it? You’ve never paid a bill late in your life.” Fahd pulled out a chair and sat down.

“I tried to use fictional Donnie to show how lost I was before you,” the man said. The timer went off and Donnie got up and went to pull the pan out. “It was supposed to be a metaphor.”

“And the lesbian you fake married? That had to be your roommate, Estelle,” Fahd guessed.

“Yeah. When I moved in with her, I thought it would be nice coming home to someone. It didn’t work out so well,” Donnie said, remembering how that ended with a shouting match and him moving in the wee hours of night.

“I see,” Fahd said. “Who was the dead girl on the rug?”

Donnie felt the top of the brownies. It was firm to the touch. Perfect. “That was when I got laid off from the insurance company. I hated that job, but I was so scared to try anything different. It pushed me to find something better.”

“So the letter in plain sight is the auditor’s job with the agency, isn’t it?” Fahd said, his face brightening up.

Donnie nodded. “It was like a relief to find a career, but I was still so scared it wouldn’t work.”

“That’s when I came and dragged you out for coffee. Right?” Fahd asked.

“And you kissed me. I was petrified.” Donnie said.

“So the journey to the Keys?” Fahd prompted.

“That was when I finally let go and we started going out. It was exciting and frightening and in the end you make me feel safe.” Donnie sat back down at the table and picked up his coffee mug.

“How does it end?” Fahd asked, looking at his husband warily.

“It doesn’t,” Donnie said. “I don’t know who the creepy man upstairs is or how bad the storm will be when it hits. But, it doesn’t matter because I’ll have you to there with me.”

Fahd’s face was shining brightly. “You do. I never knew you felt so bad before we started going out. Honey, you were so terrified all the time in this story.” Fahd paused and added. “You can’t let anyone else read it though.”

“I wasn’t going to,” Donnie said, beaming back at him. “Tell me, why not?”

Fahd flipped through the pages and rubbed his chin. “It’s too personal. Now that I know how you felt when we met, I don’t want anyone else to know this about you. I want to keep it just for me.”

“It is just for you,” Donnie said. “I’m glad you want to keep it for yourself.”

Fahd cleared his throat. “Besides, I don’t want everyone to know how loud you are in bed.”

“Fahd!” Donnie said, blushing. “The neighbors already know.”

“I know. We don’t need everyone else to know too.” Fahd held out his hand and Donnie took it in his. They kissed deeply and passionately.

The neighbors were going to get an earful that afternoon.

The End.

So, now that's finished it will be time to start experimenting and exploring with prompts into new and interesting areas. Thanks for indulging me.
Copyright © 2017 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

You've managed to put this broad, silly smile on my face with your little twist. I think you're old enough to remember the last episode of the Newhart show when he wakes up next to Suzanne P (can't spell the last name and I don't feel like looking it up!)

So if it was just meant for Fahd, who the heck posted it on GA? :o

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I immediately thought of Newhart, too. lol That was a twist I did not see coming. I'm guessing Donnie posted it here under an alias. ;)

Link to comment
On 01/20/2015 02:14 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
You've managed to put this broad, silly smile on my face with your little twist. I think you're old enough to remember the last episode of the Newhart show when he wakes up next to Suzanne P (can't spell the last name and I don't feel like looking it up!)

So if it was just meant for Fahd, who the heck posted it on GA? :o

Haha! It wasn't a dream though. I remember that scene well. After the first chapter I realized how odd the situation was. After the second chapter, I saw a theme and ran with it. I liked Donnie expressing himself through the strange story. I'm glad I made you smile Carlos. I had fun with it. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/20/2015 02:23 AM, Valkyrie said:
I immediately thought of Newhart, too. lol That was a twist I did not see coming. I'm guessing Donnie posted it here under an alias. ;)
Thanks Val! Donnie occupied my brain for a bit and made me post it. It wasn't autobiographical in the least! ;) *fingers crossed*
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Cole......

Again, you have captured my imagination and made me care about your characters. I *am* old enough to remember that Newhart finale, and love that twist!

Thanks so much for being brave enough to share this with us!

Chris

Link to comment
On 01/20/2015 11:41 AM, mollyhousemouse said:
Cole......

Again, you have captured my imagination and made me care about your characters. I *am* old enough to remember that Newhart finale, and love that twist!

Thanks so much for being brave enough to share this with us!

Chris

Thanks so much Chris! I enjoyed the exercise. That is what prompts are supposed to do. It's was interesting. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..