Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dinner is Prompt-ly at Eight - 20. Chapter 20 The Taste of Emotion

Today, Valkyrie and I used a prompt from a flip book which allows writers to find thousands of prompts using different combinations of character, action, and situation. This was a fascinating one, and not a prompt I would have done ordinarily. Here is my result. Again, check out Valkyrie's for her interpretation of the following prompt;

With a new outlook on life, a 400-year-old vampire becomes obsessed with a neighbor.

The Taste of Emotion

 

With a new outlook on life, a 400-year-old vampire becomes obsessed with a neighbor.

 

Girard opened the lid, taking note of the heavy draperies lining the chamber. Not a single ray of light could find its way inside, becoming a danger to his master. The shadows from flickering torches set into sconces on the walls gave the room an ominous feel. Please, he thought, like this night was different than other nights.

It was the same, always, just the same. Girard would get up around noon, do his necessary functions, eat a sensible breakfast, then dinner, and when the sun set, he’d get ready for his master to emerge from his coffin. After twenty years of this, he was more bored than anything. He sighed.

After securing the lid in an upright position, Girard reached in and parted the veil and swept aside the shroud, finally revealing his master, Sullivan, who preferred to be called, Sully.

Sighing again, Girard watched as his master opened his large, liquid-y eyes, bright red and glowing with preternatural light.

“Good evening,” Sully the vampire said, his voice a low growl.

“Master, it is time to awake,” the servant said, exactly as he had for the past two decades. “Come, feed.”

Sully rose from the coffin, his back straight, his posture wooden, and a presence which overflowed the room. “You sound different today.”

“It’s nothing. I probably didn’t sleep well. I’ve been a little tired today,” Girard answered, and he could hear the tedium in his own voice. Sully was glaring at him now, and he felt his skin prickle at the attention. Yet, it wasn’t enough to alarm him. His master was a reasonable creature.

Though he should have been.

Sully rose from the coffin, alit on the shadows from the torches, and floated over the head of his servant. The vampire breathed in deeply, smelling the man’s ennui, reeking of boredom. Once in the air, he glided to the thick, heavy draperies and pulled a corner aside. The night was complete, dark and overcast, without a glimmer of light from the sky.

There were sodium arc lights across the street, at large house he’d never really noticed before. In it, he supposed, were more ordinary humans, but tonight something was different. Next to the house, was a man, banging on the door, and yelling something at those inside. It piqued Sully’s interest.

He honed in on the man’s fury, feeling his rage and his fear. Both were delicious and he tasted them from afar.

“Master, it’s time to feed,” Girard said, again, his intonation flat and his interest flagging. Sully reached out and tasted the flat, dry emotions of his servant. How long had Girard felt so … indifferent? It seemed like just a few days ago, his faithful servant’s blood was resplendent with terror, awe, and subservience. Now, all Sully could sense was the dull, dusty taste of apathy. Nothing tasted as off, in his experience.

Sully looked back at the angry young man. Transposing his sight, he took in the man’s outrage at being rejected, tossed from his lover’s abode, and now ignored. It seemed so wrong, given what Sully could sense. What he felt and saw excited him.

The young man was beautiful, with blond locks the would glow in the firelight. His skin was tanned and clear, his scent had a masculine bite. The emotions were the kind Sully loved to feast on, rich in exuberant content, anger, fury, sadness, sorrow, lust, hate, and even a soupcon of despair. These were all flavors Sully had been lacking in his diet of late. Girard was like a bland potato without salt or butter. His servant was a glass of lukewarm water compared with the young man now throwing a rock at a window on the second floor.

Sully had to taste the angry blond man. He had to have him, devour him, and savor all the delicious emotional expressions.

“Master, I’m ready for you.”

Sully paused, closed the drapery, and tapped a finger to the corner of his mouth. He smiled, thinking, deciding, planning. The vampire’s mind raced as it hadn’t for years, thinking of all that needed to be done.

“Master?”

Sully felt his nails grow, his teeth receded, his face elongated. His hands clenched, once, twice, then thrice, and he could feel them dig into his flesh. They were sharp as knives, and he knew what he had to do.

Sully turned and saw Girard was yawning. Yawning in his presence. With anger and frustration, he didn’t know he could experience, he finished his servant, ripping the skin from his muscles and tearing the flesh from his bones. He didn’t devour the man, but liquified and scattered him throughout the city. He didn’t care what the sad residents thought of the splatters of red spread here and there. All he knew was Girard was gone, and good riddance.

After finishing Girard in a few moments, Sully returned to his house, and saw the young man’s anger had faded. Now the blond was holding his head in his hands sitting on the front stoop, his shoulders drooping. Feasting from afar, now on the lovely young man’s depression, Sully began to plan.

Thanks for your continuing support of our fun writing weekend visit.


Cole
Copyright © 2017 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Whew! Can't blame Girard for his boredom; twenty years of feeding the Master like that...but how long will it take for the blond boy across the street to become weary of being Sully's flavor of the day? I shudder.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
14 hours ago, droughtquake said:

More melancholy. What can we do to cheer you up, Cole? It feels like you could use a little boost!  ;-)

 

Thanks for the review.  I'm not sure I see melancholy in the story.  I certainly don't need a boost. I'm having a blast!!!  Perhaps the nature of the prompt is a bit negative, however, I believe vampires don't usually part ways with servants in a congenial way.  I wanted this vampire to be as ferocious as Nosferatu, and that's the image I had in my head.  

 

Don't fear!!!  I'm not in a sad place at all.  More fun today with our final antics!!!  

:)

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
12 hours ago, BlindAmbition said:

Umm, certainly well written. Think it might be time to separate you two, the doom and gloom is overflowing. 😉

 

Good morning, and thanks for the review.  The last things we are feeling are doom and gloom.  We randomly picked a prompt about a vampire, which given the nature of the creature is rather ominous.  So, that's the way I went with it.  I'm on team Nosferatu!!!  Hahaha!!!  

 

I appreciate the concern, but last night I baked cookies, we played Scrabble, and watched another lovely Eighties movie.  We are mostly laughing and giggling!!  

One more to come.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Parker Owens said:

Whew! Can't blame Girard for his boredom; twenty years of feeding the Master like that...but how long will it take for the blond boy across the street to become weary of being Sully's flavor of the day? I shudder.

 

Hahaha!!!  Yeah, I don't think servants of vampires get pension plans.  Generally their retirement is rather bloody and sudden.  

 

Thanks for the lovely review.  We have one more day of prompting so I hope you stick around.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

Interesting and different. Not your usual vampire story. 

 

Thanks for the review.  I thought Sully was rather classic in his vampire-ness, very Bram Stoker, and not Twilight at all.  I do like the idea of a vampire drinking in the emotions of the victim along with the blood.  I believe such supernatural creatures would feast on the feelings along with the sustenance.  I like the idea of a vampire sensing the mood and even reading the past in his victims from afar.  I love Lestat as well.

 

I appreciate the comment.  Thanks!!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Puppilull said:

Oh, what an evil vampire! They are selfish and selfcentered, I suspect, so right on the mark!

 

Sully is a blood thirsty demon, but I think he may have endearing qualities, you know, down deep. 

 

Thanks for the awesome review. :)

Link to comment
18 hours ago, Headstall said:

Wonderfully creepy, and dripping with evil. :D 

 

 

Thanks Gary!!!  Just in time for Halloween and all the ghoulies who are creeping around ready to GET US!!!!  

I appreciate the comment.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..