Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dinner is Prompt-ly at Eight - 22. Chapter 22 - Where the heart is

January Prompt 288 – Write about the first day at your current job.

Where the heart is.

 

 

“Here is your desk, and Linnie will be by in a few minutes to give you the tour.”

“I was here before. I’m not sure I need a tour,” I said, softly, nervously.

“Linnie will be by in a bit,” Stacy said, smiling vaguely and then she disappeared.

The office was small, with a u-shaped desk, a row of cabinets above and below, built of brown-painted metal and encased in padded cloth. There was a note pinned on the panel in front of him. It said, ‘Welcome Home’.

I hoped it was true.

“How’re you feeling?” I heard a woman behind me ask.

I turned and saw Kelly, my colleague from the past. Her face sported a broad, genuine smile and her arms were outstretched. She was a tall woman, broad and athletic, but had an air of warmth that seemed to radiate from her. Her nose wrinkled a little, like she was about to tell a joke.

“Give me a hug,” she said leaning towards me.

I stepped into her arms, and the embrace was warm and firm, sure and real.

“It’s good to be back.” I said.

She held me for a moment, then gave me a gentle squeeze then she let go and stepped back. “We missed you. Does it feel like your back where you belong?”

I nodded and realized something.

It did feel like home.

Copyright © 2017 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

What a lovely way to start a new job.  I wish we could all be so lucky to be able to call our job 'home'.  This was short, but conveyed all it needed to.  Great job!  :hug: 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I can't say my current job feels like home. I do like it very much and the people there, even though they get on my nerves sometimes... Hmm. Maybe it is a bit like home after all. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

All of my jobs were initially very confusing. I don’t do well in new situations and try to avoid them as much as possible – I even try to take friends with me when I go new places! But after I got used to the conditions (which in retail always involved learning how to operate the system that the cash register was running – including a manual register back in 1977!), things eventually became boring and routine (and my mind began to wander).  ;-)

Link to comment
On 1/31/2018 at 5:34 PM, Valkyrie said:

What a lovely way to start a new job.  I wish we could all be so lucky to be able to call our job 'home'.  This was short, but conveyed all it needed to.  Great job!  :hug: 

 

Since I worked here before, it was a 'return home' moment.  I guess my biggest fear was rejection from those who knew me.  It's really the pits when you feel that way.  I'm glad it turned out well.  

 

Thanks and I'll see you next month!!!

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 1/31/2018 at 8:25 PM, deville said:

Bite sized , perfect and complete . 

 

 

Thanks for this particular comment.  I do think it encapsulated what I wanted to convey.  I love novels and novellas, but something short poems or stories can give us a terribly poignant taste of life.  

 

I appreciate your engaged comment.  Thanks!!!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 2/1/2018 at 11:12 AM, Puppilull said:

I can't say my current job feels like home. I do like it very much and the people there, even though they get on my nerves sometimes... Hmm. Maybe it is a bit like home after all. 

 

Hahaha!!!  Exactly.  Home isn't necessarily comfortable all the time.  However, it is a place that always takes us back.  We may not enjoy everything about it, yet we know it and that makes it home.  

 

Thanks for a lovely review.  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 2/1/2018 at 4:30 PM, droughtquake said:

All of my jobs were initially very confusing. I don’t do well in new situations and try to avoid them as much as possible – I even try to take friends with me when I go new places! But after I got used to the conditions (which in retail always involved learning how to operate the system that the cash register was running – including a manual register back in 1977!), things eventually became boring and routine (and my mind began to wander).  ;-)

 

I love this comment.  We often talk about 'tempting fate' with our whining.  It's a job that is regularly demanding.  Sometimes, rarely, it calms down.  From time to time, we worry.  It's then we are blitzed by work.  Thanks for reminding me that boring is sometimes good.  :)

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 2/4/2018 at 3:27 PM, Defiance19 said:

Oh sweet.. it’s nice, and rare when your job gives you that feeling of home. 

Perfectly done, Cole. 

 

Thanks.  That is very true.  I appreciate your comment.  :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..