Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dinner is Prompt-ly at Eight - 23. Chapter 23 - The Pact

Prompts:
Embarrassment
Fidgeting and squirming
Plummeting self-esteem

February 2018 Prompt - The Pact

“So, what’re you going to do about Gene’s party tomorrow night?” I asked my brother.

“I’m psyched. It should be a blast. I even bought a new pair of shoes for it. Schneider’s parties are always epic.”

“You bought new shoes?” I asked, in awe.

“Hell, yeah. It’s not everyday the Super Bowl is right down the street from you.”

“No, that’s true.”

I was worried. My brother was a little sensitive at times. His demeanor could easily flash from glee to the darkest pits of despair. After his hell week, I’d kind of expected him to beg off the big bash at our mutual friends. I know I would have, but then I’m not Danny. I am the level-headed one. My brother is the exuberant one, first to hug you, shake your hand, talk your ear off, and leave you laughing with his razor-sharp wit.

Meanwhile, I’m the one you mostly ignore. It’s quite surprising that we’re twins, identical, not fraternal, and yet we couldn’t be more different. Well, we look exactly alike, but our personalities are polar opposites.

“Derek, you should buy something special for the big day.” My brother urged. “Go out and spend some of that hard-earned cash for the occasion. Gene’s friends are pretty status-conscious and you could impress some hot stud and get some.”

As I said, my brother is more, er, outgoing than I am. “I think I’ll pass on Gene’s high-maintenance friends.” I paused to collect my thoughts. “Are you sure buying some Tiziano sneakers are wise right now given your situation?”

“What situation, bro?”

My twin was being deliberately annoying.

“Your job.” I said, softly, hoping that cushioned the blow.

“What the fuck does that have to do with anything,” he exploded. “We’re invited to a Super Bowl shindig with one of our best friends from high school. Pro football players, superstars, will be there and you’re being a bitch about a pair of goddamned shoes? You are pissing me off.”

And with that, my twin hung up on me. I felt terrible. Yet, I still worried about it.

***

I’d already taken two showers, but could still smell my anxious sweat. I was worried about how Danny’s employment situation would make him look amongst our oldest friends and acquaintances. The party would start in less than two hours, and I couldn’t calm my nerves.

I caught a glimpse of my reddened face, as I wiped the steam from the bathroom mirror. My cheek twitched from a nervous tic. My breaths were short and labored. I couldn’t stand still. I fidgeted with my tie tugging it this way and that. I slipped my sweater vest on, then took it off again.

Meanwhile, my skin was crawling and I could feel the shame my twin would experience.

Hearing the doorbell ring, I brushed a lock of my hair back into place, then rushed to the living room. I opened the front door to a smartly dressed Danny, grinning broadly and already chatting.

“God, this will be the best party of the year. Did you know Esara Tuaolo will be there? I wonder if he’s seeing anyone? I’d love to date a former NFL player and he’s really hot, you know? Of course, he’d be the lucky one. Hooking up with Danny ‘The Man’ Thompson should be everyone’s goal, right Der?”

I couldn’t believe my brother and his attitude. “Maybe you should be a little more low-key today?”

Danny grimaced at me and playfully cuffed my shoulder. “Lighten up. Jobs come and go. I don’t give a crap about the little shit like a job.”

“Maybe you should be more nervous about things like that,” I said. “You were at the top of the firm, and now you’re out.”

Danny looked at me and grinned knowingly. “It’s your job to worry bro. It’s my job to embrace life, to realize we are the big catches in this little dipshit pond.”

I wiped away the sheen of sweat that had covered my face again. “Don’t you have any sense of decorum?”

Danny looked at me, shook his head, and said nothing.

The silence stretched out as he looked at me, his eyebrows arched, waiting for me to squirm. It didn’t take long.

“Fine. I remember the deal.”

“That’s good, because I’m going to enjoy it while I can.” My brother combed his plush, brown hair with his fingers.

I looked down at the ring on my finger. It was gold, inscribed with the symbol of a goat, upside down and gleaming. Danny had its twin on his finger -- the stylized head of a lion.

I had a small white scar on my index finger, matching my brother’s. It had sealed the pact and the promise we’d made. Was it a mistake?

I felt the prickle of embarrassment cascade over my nerve endings as I watched Danny preen smugly. This party would be difficult, and I hoped it was worth it.

Make sure you check out Valkyrie's take on our Embarrassment prompt in Promptings from Valhalla. As always thanks for your support.
Copyright © 2017 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

I'm still giggling that we both used the name "Danny".  :gikkle:  I like this snapshot a lot.  There is so much conveyed in few words and I want to know more.  I'd love to know what pact they made.  You captured the protagonist's anxiousness and embarrassment well. I'd love to read more. :) 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I’m wondering about the deal too. But I’m also curious about what the Lion and Goat on the rings mean. Aside from whose point of view this was written from, I think it’s interesting that Derek’s name was mentioned only once, but his brother’s name was mentioned nine times. That seems very significant!  ;-)

Link to comment
16 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

I'm still giggling that we both used the name "Danny".  :gikkle:  I like this snapshot a lot.  There is so much conveyed in few words and I want to know more.  I'd love to know what pact they made.  You captured the protagonist's anxiousness and embarrassment well. I'd love to read more. :) 

 

It is hilarious we used the same name! I’m glad you enjoyed the character sketch.  Maybe this Should be more. Thanks for your suggestions! 😘

  • Love 1
Link to comment
16 hours ago, dughlas said:

Hmm, just what does the deal entail?

 

I think the deal will be revealed in a larger story. I like these characters and the situation they’ve created.  Thanks for the question! It encourages me. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
15 hours ago, droughtquake said:

I’m wondering about the deal too. But I’m also curious about what the Lion and Goat on the rings mean. Aside from whose point of view this was written from, I think it’s interesting that Derek’s name was mentioned only once, but his brother’s name was mentioned nine times. That seems very significant!  ;-)

 

The lion generally symbolizes courage and the goat in western philosophy is a symbol of shame or object of scorn as in the word, scapegoat.  That’s all I’ll say at this point.  The rest goes to the pact, which will be revealed in the larger story.  Thanks for the insightful comments and questions!  Yeah!

  • Love 2
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Cole Matthews said:

The rest goes to the pact, which will be revealed in the larger story.

Will it involve Rush and Loring Lane?  ;-)

Link to comment

What a life to live to feel responsible for someone who really should take care of himself? Not a fair deal at all. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

A titbit that leaves one hungry for more.... the deal , the rings and the interaction between the brothers does leave a slightly bitter taste and a nervous nauseousness. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 3/5/2018 at 12:14 PM, droughtquake said:

Will it involve Rush and Loring Lane?  ;-)

 

No Rush and maybe Loring Lane.  We will see!!  

 

Thanks!!!!!  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 3/5/2018 at 3:23 PM, Puppilull said:

What a life to live to feel responsible for someone who really should take care of himself? Not a fair deal at all. 

 

Intriguing take.  The twins feel responsible for each other, but something else happened.  Let's see what fair may be.  I love this little ditty and we will see if it takes me to other places.

 

Thanks!!!

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 3/7/2018 at 1:24 AM, Stephen said:

What a fun little story, but what about those shoes? 

 

 

Haha!!!  To me, shoes are the epitome of indulgence.  I couldn't care less, yet I hear people talk of shoes and status.  Good shoes show quality upbringing.  We are exposed by our choice in footwear.  It interests me how that translates, and it seems a pair of shoes may expose something.  That's all it means, yet it symbolizes so much more.  

 

Thanks for helping me flesh out the next chapter!!!

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 3/11/2018 at 3:40 AM, deville said:

A titbit that leaves one hungry for more.... the deal , the rings and the interaction between the brothers does leave a slightly bitter taste and a nervous nauseousness. 

 

I'm hoping Danny is a good guy, but who knows.  I love things like this because it sometimes reveals ideas I've never considered.  Thanks so much!!!

 

 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

I do look forward to when you tell the bigger story.. I want to know what the deal is too..This vignette was like an appetiser.. 

Well done, as always.. 

 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..