Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dinner is Prompt-ly at Eight - 24. Chapter 24 - The Petition

This actually happened to us. I was gobsmacked, but let's face it. People have their own beliefs and their own reasons for it.

The Petition

Prompt - What is the most offensive thing you have ever heard anyone say?

 

“You know, your relationship isn’t real, not really,” the man said, grimly smiling in a condescending sort of manner.

Bryan didn’t know how to respond. He could feel Darren’s anger vibrating next to him. There was a wash of blood to his skin, that immediately raised his temperature in the air-conditioned room, a place cooled with wafts of fresh air blowing in from the ceiling.

“Our relationship is as real as anyone else’s,” Darren said, a little more loudly than he usual spoke. Darren was soft-spoken, calm, courteous to a fault, and unflappable. Hearing his trembling voice revealed the rage he was obviously holding inside.

“It’s simple biology,” the man continued, brushing his moustache absently, almost professorially. “Nature provided male and female with attributes that would complement and complete the formation of a family. Those include the kinds of bonding experiences which make them codependent on each other during the times when children need it.”

“My relationship with my husband is as strong as any straight couple,” Bryan said, in a kind of pronouncement that brokered no discussion. He was an attorney, and knew how to use tone, inflection, and charisma to sway his audience.

The solicitor’s skin was blushing now, as he realized what the two men were to each other and how adamant they felt it. “Don’t get me wrong,” he said hurriedly, almost breathless. “Male and female relationships are bound to fail as well, eventually. No two people are ever going to make a permanent relationship model work. It goes against human biology to bond solely with another person for life.”

He was fiddling with his coat, showing off the rainbow pin on his lapel, like a talisman warding off the evil looks from the two men. It seemed to defy them as did his sad countenance.

“Relationships are work, and it doesn’t matter if it’s a man and woman, two women, or two men,” Darren said sharply, each word bitten off in a staccato manner. “It takes commitment, patience, and effort to make a marriage last.”

The other man’s Adam’s apple bobbed as he swallowed and listened. His eyes darted about the room, then finally he cleared his throat.

“I’m sorry you don’t agree, but it’s simply scientifically provable. Studies have shown that outside of child-rearing dynamisms, long-term, exclusive relationships, especially amongst same-sex couples, are bound to fail. The numbers don’t lie.”

Bryan snorted his disgust. Darren shook his head and sighed.

Even with his face beet-red, the man with the petition fastened to a clipboard in hand, looked smug. “Will you sign?” he asked, pointing to the words; ‘Repeal of Civil Marriage’ bill. “It’s not natural.” He said defiantly, and with a sense of resignation.

This prompt was also done by Valkyrie so check her's out on "Promptings from Valhalla." What is the most offensive thing you've ever heard?
Copyright © 2017 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Wow 4
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Gobsmacked, indeed. Holy freaking crap.  I admire Bryan and Darren's restraint.  :huh::o

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I will never understand some people's need to have and voice opinions about things that don't concern them. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
55 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Gobsmacked, indeed. Holy freaking crap.  I admire Bryan and Darren's restraint.  :huh::o

I wouldn't have been so restrained!  Grrrr!

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Unfu<*ingbelievable!!

Especially considering the petition he was asking signatures for!!!!

If his "scientific" hypothesis is to be believed, where is the petition banning all marriage in general?!??

He needs to take the fastener from that rainbow pin and shove it up his narrow, well you know. 

Thanks for sharing and sorry that really happened.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Absolutely , remarkable restraint , my Husband would probably be restraining me from beating him with his clipboard , whilst simultaneously giving him a P.A piercing with that damned pin. People should sometimes suffer for their convictions . 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 3/31/2018 at 9:53 AM, Valkyrie said:

Gobsmacked, indeed. Holy freaking crap.  I admire Bryan and Darren's restraint.  :huh::o

 

Yes, I think they are really shocked.  The restraint for this couple is the confusion over his bizarre ideas.  BTW, true story!!!

  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
On 3/31/2018 at 10:14 AM, Puppilull said:

I will never understand some people's need to have and voice opinions about things that don't concern them. 

 

Very true.  There is far too little 'live and let live' today.  I was so confused by the guy's theory, but I really didn't want to question him on it.  

 

Thanks!!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 3/31/2018 at 10:56 AM, mfa607 said:

I wouldn't have been so restrained!  Grrrr!

 

We didn't know how to react!  It was such a surreal experience.  I laugh about it now.  

  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 3/31/2018 at 1:44 PM, FanLit said:

Unfu<*ingbelievable!!

Especially considering the petition he was asking signatures for!!!!

If his "scientific" hypothesis is to be believed, where is the petition banning all marriage in general?!??

He needs to take the fastener from that rainbow pin and shove it up his narrow, well you know. 

Thanks for sharing and sorry that really happened.

 

It was a petition banning all marriage!!!!!  That was his answer to 'freeing and liberating our sexuality'.  I agree with what he should do with the rainbow pin.  

I just closed the door on him and later I laughed my ass off.  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 3/31/2018 at 2:11 PM, droughtquake said:

A Log Cabin member, no doubt! 😉

 

Hahahaha!!!  Actually the language was the opposite.  Their group wanted to ban all state-sanctioned marriages.  He was just one of the nuttier ones.  

 

Thanks!!!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 4/1/2018 at 12:24 PM, deville said:

Absolutely , remarkable restraint , my Husband would probably be restraining me from beating him with his clipboard , whilst simultaneously giving him a P.A piercing with that damned pin. People should sometimes suffer for their convictions . 

 

LOL!  When faced with bizarre ideas, I usually just giggle about it and smile.  It takes all kinds I guess.  

 

Thanks!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Cole Matthews said:

 

We didn't know how to react!  It was such a surreal experience.  I laugh about it now.  

OMG!  I can be a little dense some times!  I just saw that this really happened to you!  Jeez!!  My husband would've gotten himself arrested - or we'd still be there arguing!  LOL!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..