Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dinner is Prompt-ly at Eight - 4. K

Prompt #335
Tag – The Memory Box

K

 

“I said throw it all in the dumpster. That shit’s not part of my life anymore.”

Benny looked at Clive with surprise. It was rare K used such language, especially in regards to her parents.

“We thought you’d be interested,” the tall, striking, brown haired man said setting the box on the table. “I’ll toss it if you’d like but they must have kept it for a reason. There must be something in there you can use.”

Clive’s impassive face told Benny nothing. His toad-like lips were pressed into a perpetual smirk so there was no telling what he was thinking. K was pointedly not looking at him. She was applying mascara and looking intently at the mirror in her dressing room. Her hair was wrapped in a net and K glanced over at the wig on an antique stand to her right.

“Whatever it is, I’m not interested. That house is my past. It’s a journey I’d rather not take,” K said. She picked up the lipstick and carefully applied it smacking her lips as she finished.

“You could at least look at it. Benny took a risk getting it. With the wedding today, he thought you’d appreciate the effort. After all, they were your parents,” Clive growled. Benny watched as his sociopathic lover tried to use reason to get to their boss.

Clive gave Benny a shrug and nod to leave the box, a dusty somewhat tattered thing, there on the table. Benny nodded and followed Clive as he left the room. It wasn’t their affair at this point. K would probably throw it away but that wasn’t their call. Whatever lie within it was between K’s dead parents and her. K had barely shed a tear after the police shot their way into the house. She’d always been respectful of the heads of the crime family but it seemed there was no love lost with their passing.

K heard the door shut and she sighed. It wasn’t easy keeping those two in check but they were the best the family had. Sometimes the decisions they made were downright idiotic, but they always got away. Her dad appreciated that. Benny and Clive could almost miraculously finish the job, though it was usually quite a messy affair. “Dear old fucking dad,” K whispered to the mirror.

With her parents gone, she could really be herself. Her sister’s wedding would be a kind of debut into their world for K. The rest of the family may not like the transformation but they didn’t have a choice.

K wrapped the robe around her body a little more tightly and stood up from the makeup table. She stared at the box Benny dropped off and thought of how stupid they were for stealing it. Her parents’ house was a crime scene and this was her sister’s fault. Lorraine had gone on and on about the idiotic tradition of something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue. Benny, the sweetheart that he was, had decided they needed to retrieve something from the house.

“Why this?” K asked the box. “I’m almost over it and they had to steal this.”

K knew what was in there. There was a little yarmulke and a copy of the Talmud with her, well his name on it. The name Kane Julius Goldstein was etched in gold on the black leather cover. Kane was dead and gone. K sighed, again. She opened the box and rifled through the contents.

At the bottom was a small blue handkerchief, it was monogramed with ‘his’ initials. Kane was gone now, well, not entirely. One small part was still there but K could conceal that most of the time.

“I’m not a balding middle aged Jewish man anymore,” she announced to the wig. K grabbed it and pulled it onto her head.” She looked into the mirror and appraised her transformation. “Yep, that little effete weasel is gone.”

K smiled and turned back to the box. She pulled the little blue silken cloth from it and carefully folded the corners of the box back shut. She’d give Lorraine this as something old, something blue, and yes, something borrowed. She wanted it back. This would be the last little link to the fucking man she’d once been. Her parents were gone so now she could be herself. K would never have to masquerade as a man again. She could now be the goddess she’d always felt was inside her.

K picked up the phone after pulling on her dress and fastening it carefully. “Benny. Bring the car around. We have a wedding to go to.”

It was time to make her entrance and take over her birthright. Karen Goldstein would now be in control of the family and the Enterprise. She felt a tear begin to form as she thought of her mother and father’s absence. Quickly, she caught that droplet with the handkerchief and cleared her throat. It was good they were gone. Now she could live and Kane would be no more.

Benny and Clive have gotten into my head and I can't get them out so maybe another prompt will dislodge them. It's going to be called "Dinner, A Show, and Dessert" in response to the prompt "Date Night"
Copyright © 2017 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

I'm glad these guys are stuck in your head. LOL I thoroughly enjoyed this and am looking forward to reading about their "date night".

Link to comment
On 07/02/2014 08:32 AM, Valkyrie said:
I'm glad these guys are stuck in your head. LOL I thoroughly enjoyed this and am looking forward to reading about their "date night".
I am too. They are really fun to imagine. I just got done writing their date night. I was laughing throughout! Lol!
Link to comment

Hmmm - at this rate Benny and Clive will rate their own title. Separate but related stories like Loring Place!

 

Sentimental gangsters? Who knew! Excellent story.

Link to comment
On 07/03/2014 08:28 AM, Kitt said:
Hmmm - at this rate Benny and Clive will rate their own title. Separate but related stories like Loring Place!

 

Sentimental gangsters? Who knew! Excellent story.

We'll have to see about the adventures of Benny and Clive idea. When i post the next one, you can tell me if the idea has legs. Thanks Kitt!!!!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..