Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dinner is Prompt-ly at Eight - 6. The Animal Psychologist

Do we really know what they are trying to tell us?

Prompt 336 – The Cat Psychologist

“Oh God. This isn’t what it looks like!”

Nathan and Grant looked at the cats meowing at them with concern. Kong had peed on the big teddy bear Nathan won for his boyfriend at the fair, again. No amount of washing could deter the cat. They watched the two male cats as they gently licked each other contentedly pausing occasionally to mewl at them. Otherwise they seemed fine, but when it came to the peeing issue, something was obviously amiss. Both men looked over at the distinguished animal psychologist for answers.

“Nathan, Kong is obviously having issues with you moving in.” The silver haired man removed his glasses and smiled at them.

The two men had fallen in love but after Nathan stayed over for a few nights in a row, Grant’s two cats had become more and more unruly. Concerned at Kong’s sudden peeing on things, they’d called in noted animal psychologist Dr. Avis Montague for a consultation. Sure, it had been a lot of money, but they were genuinely worried about the animals’ behavior.

Grant nuzzled Nathan’s neck and ran his hand over the man’s balding, closely shorn head. It had been only six months but the man made him feel so good. Being around him was soothing. His heart ached when Nathan left the condo and he had to spend the night alone, but what could he do? Grant loved his cats so much. From his observations and experience, Kong and Dash weren’t comfortable with this new relationship. It was either the cats or Nathan.

“I’m marking the bear because I like it,” Kong meowed to the men. Of course, the men only heard a distinct whine.

“Kong is acting out territorially because Nathan’s presence is stressing him,” Dr. Montague opined. He chewed on the ear piece of his glasses while watching the two men closely, the lithe Grant especially.

“I love Nathan,” Kong purred. “Tell him Dash. Maybe they’ll listen to you.”

Dash looked at his friend, his best friend, and nodded. “Grant! We love Nathan. Please reconsider. He makes you so happy,” the jet black cat meowed in frustration. He scampered over to Nathan and rubbed against his leg leaving his scent, a scent that showed possession and affection.

Nathan leaned over petting Dash who purred so deeply. “Grant. Maybe Kong just needs a little more time with me. Dash seems to like me.”

Grant watched as his boyfriend lovingly caressed the cat. Maybe it would work if they took it slower. Obviously Dash was loving on the man. He took in the scene but then Kong ran over to Nathan’s shoes and squatted.

“Kong no!” he shouted. He got up and raced over picking up the orange cat quickly.

“See. I love the guy!” Kong howled as Grant scooped him up before he could spray. “Don’t throw this away you idiot!”

“Kong just can’t take you being around. I’m sorry.” Dr. Montague shrugged. He looked Grant over and his eyes seemed to linger on him.

“That man’s looking at Grant like he’s some catnip,” Dash snarled angrily.

“Why don’t they understand us?” Kong meowed jumping down to run over to Dash.

“I don’t know. They are perfect together,” Dash mewled back biting Kong’s neck with care.

“Stop fighting you two,” Grant said wiping his eyes. He looked at Nathan with regret. “I don’t know what to do.”

“I think Kong is a very possessive animal and Nathan’s presence is disconcerting to him. Perhaps there is something in his scent that offends the animal,” Dr. Montague said eying Grant’s slender frame and comely face. And that behind! Grant returned to the couch sitting next to Nathan.

“That man is creepy. He’s trying to get Grant for himself!” Dash howled to his friend.

“I’ll bite him,” Kong meowed back. “I’ll bite his conniving ass.”

“See, that’s a defensive sound,” Dr. Montague said. “Cats are attuned to danger.” The animal psychologist gently patted Grant’s knee. Nathan looked at him with some anger.

“I’m not sure I’m the problem,” he snarled at the doctor.

“This is outrageous,” Kong howled. “Get that nasty, lewd man outta here!”

“I told you not to pee on that plushie. They don’t get us,” Dash mewled to his friend.

“Grant. It’s your choice of course, but I’m not sure Kong can handle Nathan’s prolonged presence in their living space. I only say so because I care about the animal’s well-being,” the silver haired man said, his lips pursed.

Grant looked at Nathan and sighed. “Maybe Kong just needs a little more time with you. I’m sure he’ll like you the more you’re around,”

“I’m not sure that’s a good idea,” the doctor said clearing his throat. “You don’t want to harm the cat’s psyche.” The doctor’s ogling of Grant’s body was making Nathan furious.

“I’ll pee on him, though I hate him. That will get their attention,” Kong purred. “They don’t get us, do they?”

“No. They don’t.” Dash stared at the doctor. “They really don’t.”

We were laughing about a New York Times story about an animal psychologist who was interpreting animal emotions. I believe they do have emotions, we just can't ask them what they really mean.
Copyright © 2017 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Cats certainly have a different way of looking at things, don't they? I love that Kong is going to pee on the doctor even though he doesn't like him. lol The creep totally deserves it. ;) They need Jackson Galaxy to come sort things out, not that pompous blowhard! lol I really enjoyed this. :)

Link to comment
On 07/09/2014 01:35 PM, Valkyrie said:
Cats certainly have a different way of looking at things, don't they? I love that Kong is going to pee on the doctor even though he doesn't like him. lol The creep totally deserves it. ;) They need Jackson Galaxy to come sort things out, not that pompous blowhard! lol I really enjoyed this. :)
I know you love cats Val! I'm so glad you liked it. I have giggled about this for a couple of days. I'm so addicted to prompts now. Lol!
Link to comment

Speculation. Pure speculation. I've never been able to figure out cats. Though I must say, I think you may have got it somewhat right.

Link to comment
On 07/09/2014 04:56 PM, Ron said:
Speculation. Pure speculation. I've never been able to figure out cats. Though I must say, I think you may have got it somewhat right.
Hahaha! It was a fun exercise. Their mystery is part of their charm. ;)
Link to comment
On 07/09/2014 11:32 PM, joann414 said:
How funny and cute. I loved this.:)
Thanks Jo Ann! I love the idea of cats trying to tell us things. Dogs do a much better job usually. :)
Link to comment
On 07/10/2014 08:17 AM, Slytherin said:
He peed on the big teddy bear !!! That is upsetting :lol: What a funny and swett story !

 

black-and-white-cat-smiley-emoticon.gif

Haha!!! It wasn't a LBO I can promise you that! Lol
Link to comment

Hilarious. Absolutely hilarious. So now if my cats ever pee on anything other than their litter, I'll know it's because they really like it. :P I really enjoyed this. It was light and funny, and just what I needed. :)

Link to comment
On 07/13/2014 04:53 PM, SoullessCynner said:
Hilarious. Absolutely hilarious. So now if my cats ever pee on anything other than their litter, I'll know it's because they really like it. :P I really enjoyed this. It was light and funny, and just what I needed. :)
Hahaha! We just don't know! Thanks for the review. I try the funny stuff from time to time! ;)
Link to comment

What a hoot! You are so creative to think up such a twist and make it quite plausible. Loved it!

Link to comment
On 07/18/2014 11:13 PM, Jaro_423 said:
What a hoot! You are so creative to think up such a twist and make it quite plausible. Loved it!
Prompts give such latitude they invite fun! Thanks so much for the review. Im glad you enjoyed it.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..