Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Gaia-Town - 2. Quest

There is a reason the word "question" starts with the word "quest." It is answers we really seek.

Quest

“Yaddie, you don’t have to do that.”

“Zeg, I want to. Now just lay back and enjoy it,” Yadrey smiled and squeezed all the excess water from the sponge. Gently the red-haired man wiped the residue of their coupling from the half-gnome’s stomach. Carefully, he cleaned his lover’s thighs stroking his white body hair.

“Yaddie, that was amazing.”

Yadrey thought Ganron, no, his name will never again be that just like he’d never be Adron again. Yadrey thought Zegan was the sweetest, most compassionate, yet energetic lover he’d ever had. His heart was full of devotion and given their current state as whores in a brothel, that was saying a lot.

“It was Zeg. You were the amazing one,” Yadrey said kissing him gently on the lips. The simple act made him shiver with excitement.

They were together and Zegan was safe.

Yadrey put the sponge back in the basin and looked around the room. It was bigger than the one he, Sunron and Nevron shared at the smithy and certainly much cleaner. No matter how much they swept and wiped the place at Waldron’s down, it was still black with soot and dust. This room was theirs to share and had a wardrobe for clothes, a basin for washing, and even a little table and two chairs by a window. It was like a palace compared to his former living space.

Yadrey climbed back into bed and Zegan curled up against him, back to front and snuggled. Yadrey sighed with contentment.

“So, you know all about my orphaned past. When are you going to tell me about yours?” Zegan asked turning slightly to catch the red haired man’s eye.

“Well, I guess I could tell you now,” Yadrey said. “Unless you wanna do something else.” He tickled the half-gnome’s sides making him giggle and squirm.

“Stop that and tell me all about Yadrey, my beloved.”

“Alright. My father was a man of law and very prosperous. He and my mother had a beautiful house in the Old Quarter. I’m the eldest of six children and when I was six, I was sent to the Temple of Fedis to learn how to read and write and cipher. I was a pretty good student and everything seemed to be going well until my father got in trouble.”

“If he was a man of law, how’d he get in trouble?” Zegan asked cuddling closer to his lover.

“My father got in trouble because he swore out an affidavit against the Count’s son. The Count’s son tried to cheat on a land deal and my father tried to stop him. The Count’s son somehow arranged to steal some money my father was holding for some of his patrons. The gendarmes broke in and arrested him. He was pilloried and then hanged for embezzlement.”

“Oh gods. That’s terrible. They killed him?” Zegan said, and gently caressed Yadrey’s arm holding him tightly.

“Yeah, so then my mother had to sell the house and we moved to a little place across the river. In order to feed the family, I agreed to become an apprentice to Waldron. The indenture he paid has kept them fed for quite a while,” Yadrey nodded into Zegan white hair, breathing in the essence of the half-gnome.

“Didn’t you worry Waldron would force your mother to give back the money?” Zegan whispered. He was overwhelmed that Yadrey had jeopardized his family in order to save him. Zegan couldn’t love him more than he did right now.

“When I found out what Waldron was going to use you for, I couldn’t wait. Besides, I was thinking about it. How could he ask for the guild to make her pay the money back to him when what he was going to murder you.” Yadrey hoped his reasoning was sound. If not, Waldron could be throwing his mother and siblings out of their home right now. He didn’t know and was afraid to find out.

“I’m glad you picked me,” Zegan said. “I’m going to give you a little gift for saving me.”

The half-gnome squirmed even closer to Yadrey and the man felt a thrill of excitement rush from his toes to his scalp.

“Yaddie, you know the saying ‘hearth and home beckon the weary traveler?’ the white-haired man asked.

“Yeah,” “It’s something my old granny used to say. Why?”

“When you’re holding me, I know what it means. For so long I’ve never had a hearth or a home but when I am next to you, it feels like you are my hearth,” Zegan said putting his hand on Yadrey’s cheek.

Yadrey felt a rush of emotion well up from deep within. That’s the exact feeling he had with his little gnome. Zegan had expressed it perfectly.

“I’m going to be with you forever Zeg,” he whispered.

“We are my beloved. I will be with you forever Yaddie. Now, I want a kiss,” Zegan said turning and embracing Yadrey in his arms, deeply kissing and molding himself to his mate. “Your turn,” he softly demanded.

**************

“Yaddie,” he heard. “Yaddie, you need to get dressed and come down.”

Yadrey wiped his eyes and looked up. It was Dregas standing in his doorway scowling at him.

“I’m sorry. I was just – never mind,” Yadrey said ashamed he’d been caught remembering.

“I know you and the gnome were close, but Endora needs you for a patron tonight,” Dregas said quietly. He was trying to be nice but it really pained Yadrey to think of serving some random merchant or errant city guard. Endora had been generous letting him go without working now for more than a fortnight.

“I’ll be down in a few minutes,” Yadrey said and tried to smile at the handsome dark haired man with some serious facial scars. Instead of detracting from Dregas’ looks, it enhanced him especially with his shining brown eyes dancing in the lamp light. Yadrey had no desire to bed the man but that didn’t make him less attractive.

In his heart, his hearth would always be Zegan.

After putting on the linen tunic and tying a royal blue silk scarf around his waist, Yadrey went down to the parlor. Endora was resplendent in her emerald green dress that somehow managed to make her look younger. Her face was delicate with red painted lips and a touch of kohl that made her eyes pop. She had her long platinum hair flowing freely down her back. Endora was a magnificent woman and Yadrey feared her in spite of her kindness to him.

“Yadrey,” she said after seeing him. “I have a client for you tonight, someone special.” All Yadrey could think was he was betraying Zegan. But, it didn’t matter. They’d both went into this to survive. He’d just have to grin and bear it, as it were. At first it seemed she wanted him to serve Asmo, that disgusting merchant. But then he heard it was the man who paid Waldron the commission to kill Zegan.

Yadrey was petrified. What would the ranger do to him? What about that wolf, the wolf with the eyes that seemed to pierce his thoughts? How could he bring the man to completion with that wolf watching him and knowing him?

It was too frightening to consider. But, in the end, Endora assured him it would be fine. She didn’t think Taranis had anything to do with Zegan murder. Endora always seemed to know things. It seemed everyone around him knew things except him. Yadrey felt alone and empty.

Yadrey waited to see what was about to happen. He was simply reacting to things not under his control and that didn’t feel comfortable. He managed to avoid the ranger before but now it seemed Endora was arranging it to make him service the man. His life had once seemed so simple but after he learned of Waldron’s plot it became complicated. Yadrey had long since given up on his childhood dreams. His life was one of service and subjugation, not hope and promise.

He smiled when introduced to Taranis who didn’t appear to like him, at all. The wolf, on the other hand, just looked at him with that knowing gaze. Yadrey shivered in shame.

After Endora chatted with the ranger, she sent Yadrey back to his room. A bottle of Niradian wine was being sent up to entertain Taranis and the wolf later, after Endora tended to their other business. Yadrey readied the room for his patron.

As Yadrey looked around the room, it felt so empty and small. When Zegan had been here, the room felt full and large. Now he could see the basin was cracked and the sponge was worn. The wardrobe was scratched and the bed was a bag of straw. The red haired man sighed and rubbed his face. His was a pathetic existence indeed.

When he heard the knock, he put on a smile and opened the door. Dregas brought in the bottle of wine and two glasses. He never said a word as he set the things on the table with its surface all splintered and glowing dully in the lamp light. The dark haired man gave Yadrey a quick, resigned smile and left, leaving the door open as was custom. Yadrey poured a drink and wondered what the ranger would do to him once they were alone.

“Adron? May I come in?” the ranger asked peering inside the door.

Yadrey turned and gave the man a nervous smile. “Of course, please join me.”

The man came into the room and plopped down on a chair at the table. The wolf sat beside him and panting looked up at Yadrey with that knowing gaze.

“Would you like some wine?” the red haired man croaked.

“Please,” the ranger answered and threw back his hood. A long braid of silvery hair ran down the man’s chest. He was ruggedly handsome though his face was troubled.

“Is everything alright?” Yadrey asked as he poured the wine and set it in front of the man.

“No, everything isn’t alright especially since Endora is hell-bent on putting us together.”

“Do I not please you?” Yadrey asked, the tremble quite evident in his voice.

The wolf cocked his head at the man’s question. Yadrey jumped back in fear.

“Don’t mind him,” the ranger said. “He won’t hurt you unless you try something.”

“I’m merely here for your pleasure kind sir,” Yadrey said bowing his head to hide his tears.

“I’m not in the mood for that. Shut the door.”

Yadrey went and sealed the door as requested. He wasn’t sure what this was about. If the ranger wasn’t going to use him for entertainment, he wondered why Endora had set up this meeting.

“Why are you shivering?” the ranger asked taking a long drink of his wine.

“I-I’m not. I’m just awed by your handsomeness,” Yadrey stuttered.

The wolf seemed to smile and snort at that and returned to panting, looking at Taranis with a wolfish grin.

“You’re scared of me aren’t you?” Taranis asked setting his glass on the table.

“Please don’t hurt me,” Yadrey begged. “I’ll do whatever you desire.”

“Why would I want to hurt you?” the ranger asked, a puzzled look crossed his face.

“Because you’re Asmo’s agent and you arranged my mate’s death,” Yadrey cried. He couldn’t hold his fear in check. Now the man would exact his wrath. The whore trembled at his mistake. How could he be so stupid?

Taranis scowled and the wolf growled. Yadrey couldn’t move.

“How did I arrange your mate’s death?” the ranger asked sitting straight up in the chair.

“I’m sorry kind sir,” Yadrey yammered. “I didn’t mean to offend.”

“No. Forget the courtesies. I want to know why you think I arranged anyone’s death.”

Yadrey watched the man closely and he seemed genuinely confused. The wolf was looking at him curiously. Taranis grunted and patted the wolf on the head.

“You arranged the commission with Waldron and my mate was part of the deal,” Yadrey said, tears running down his face.

“I’m confused,” Taranis said and the wolf promptly bit into his hand.

“Shut up you,” the ranger said.

“I’m sorry I spoke,” Yadrey said wiping his tears.

“Not you. Sorry. What is this about Waldron and your mate’s death?” Taranis asked.

“The commission you arranged included using my lover to seal the spell. A fortnight ago, my mate was killed by a Guihanla man as part of the deal. Or at least that’s what I’ve figured,” Yadrey said. He was quickly getting his emotions in check, well, except for the part of him that was pure, cold fury.

“I never arranged the death of anyone,” Taranis said. “I set up a commission for the merchant Asmo with your former master. It was for a scale of some sort. I haven’t even been paid for my work.”

Yadrey groaned. “So you don’t know anything about the spell and Zegan’s death?”

“I know about a spell. Asmo insisted I use Waldron because he was a mage and blacksmith. That’s why your former master was chosen. I know nothing about killing anyone. Tell me more,” Taranis leaned forward and an angry look crossed his face. The wolf looked just as furious, though Yadrey knew that was impossible.

Yadrey collected his wits, and his courage. The ranger seemed shocked at the accusation. “My master planned on using Zegan’s guts to temper the metal used in the implement. I found out about it and we fled to this place. I thought I could save his life. In the end, it didn’t help. Waldron somehow still killed my dear Zegan.”

The ranger mulled over the red haired man’s story and looked down at the wolf. The wolf just panted and looked back. Yadrey wondered how Taranis would react.

“This is all news to me,” Taranis finally said. “I just set the commission and delivered the product to Asmo. I’m completely in the dark as to how spells are cast or metal is worked.”

“I told you that merchant was trouble,” Yadrey heard but the ranger hadn’t spoken. He was looking at him and Taranis looked down at the wolf in annoyance.

“Enough,” the ranger said and stood up. “I’m sorry about your friend, but I had nothing to do with his death. I would never arrange a murder unless it was in battle.”

Yadrey simply stood and watched as the man left, the wolf at his side. As they walked out the door, the wolf turned and looked at him, right in the eye. “I’d rip his throat out,” Yadrey heard in his head again.

Now he was really confused.

*******************

“The ranger and his wolf left in quite a hurry,” Yadrey heard from the doorway. “What did you do to him?”

It was Dregas. He looked pissed.

“I don’t know what happened. I thought he set up Zegan to be killed but he denied it. I’m sorry,” Yadrey said sadly. Now he’d be tossed out of the brothel and then what? The exchange with Taranis left him conflicted. He was feeling despair, fury, and even some relief. At least the ranger hadn’t tried to kill him or worse. Yadrey sat in the chair at the table holding his head in his hands.

“That was the man who arranged Zegan’s death?” Dregas barked, his face suddenly red.

“No. I thought he was but he was just a pawn like Zegan and me,” Yadrey said softly. “All I know is Waldron used him, but I don’t know how.”

“I’d find Waldron and get the answers,” Dregas snapped. “You’re no good mulling around here. If someone killed my mate, I’d make them pay.”

“How am I supposed to fight a mage?” Yadrey asked quickly looking closely at the dark haired man. Dregas’ face darkened and his scars seemed more prominent.

“With a sword,” Dregas said. “You need to get to him and skewer him like a fish.”

“I’m not a soldier or a ranger. I’m just an ex-apprentice and a whore,” Yadrey said shrinking into the chair.

“Surely you are more than that,” Dregas said and sat opposite Yadrey in the other chair. The dark haired man reached over and touched his chin. “Trust me, mages are often hunted down and made to pay for their evil deeds. I know because I’ve seen it.”

“Really?” Yadrey looked up. “There is such rage inside me. Sometimes I can barely contain it but then the fear comes too. I know I should avenge Zegan’s death but I don’t know how.”

Dregas looked at the fury flickering in Yadrey’s eyes. Now this was something he could work with. When Endora told him about her plot, he doubted this soft, weak-willed courtesan would be a foil against the merchant. He wanted so badly to see Asmo punished for what he’d done to him. Perhaps the old Madame knew what she was talking about. Yadrey had that look of vengeance about him, though it was covered with fear as well.

“I’ll teach you how to fight,” Dregas said. “You will learn and then extract your vengeance from your former master.”

“Waldron should pay,” Yadrey said, menace coloring his words. “That bastard should pay for taking Zegan from me.”

“Yes he should. But first, let’s get you trained to fight,” Dregas said. “Now, get some rest. Tomorrow morning we begin your training.”

“But, what about Endora? Won’t she be furious if I leave?”

“Never mind about the Madame. I’m sure she’ll come around,” Dregas answered patting the man on the shoulder. “Just get to bed.”

Yadrey watched as the man left his room. The rage inside him welled up and consumed him. It burnt the fear away. All he could see now was red, the red of Waldron’s blood gushing from his throat.

********************

“So, did he bite?” Endora said as Dregas entered her private parlor.

“Hook, line, and sinker,” Dregas said taking off his tunic. “We have ourselves a weapon.”

“The boy has great promise,” Endora said lightly touching the scars on Dregas’ face. “There is much in him to work with. Did you know he can read and write?”

“No. How will that help us?” Dregas asked brushing the hair away from Endora’s eyes.

“Never mind that,” Endora purred. “I just need to get that gemstone mounted. You can do that tomorrow.”

“As you wish,” Dregas said and turned off the light as he left her room.

*************************

Yadrey looked around him nervously as he made his way toward Waldron’s smithy. He was avoiding the main roads since he had a short sword under his cloak. He couldn’t afford to be questioned about his status by the gendarmes. All his work with Dregas had been worth it. The dark haired man told him he was doing really well and it was time to confront Waldron. He wanted answers and he wanted the blacksmith to feel his wrath.

“Uh oh,” he muttered as he saw a pair of gendarmes headed in his direction. “Gods, I hope they don’t see me.”

Too late. The pair, dressed in blue, was only a few lengths away and walking directly towards him. He could hear their voices call out to him.

“Boy! What’re you doing with a sword in broad daylight,” the fat one called out.

“Ferek, I believe we have a pup with a banned weapon,” the tall one said loudly.

Yadrey closed his eyes for a second and wished he had Zegan’s charm of walking unseen. If only he had the charm of his mate.

“Cupy, where the hell did he go?”

“He was right here just a minute ago.”

“What the gods?”

Yadrey watched as the two men looked right through him. How did that happen?

“The little shit must’ve slipped into this alley. Let’s go ferret him out,” the fat one said. The tall one followed as they walked right past Yadrey and into the dark alley to his right.

Yadrey’s mouth dropped open. He was shocked. What the-?

Then he remembered…

“I’m glad you picked me,” Zegan said. “I’m going to give you a little present for saving me.”

The half-gnome squirmed even closer to Yadrey and the man felt a thrill of excitement rush from his toes to his scalp.

Zegan shared his charm with him. His little half-gnome mate had indeed given him a gift. He could wish himself unnoticeable.

Now Yadrey was even more determined to make Waldron pay for his crime. Yadrey put his head down and walked the remaining six blocks to his old home.

**********************

“Get those rods heated up,” Nevron shouted over the din of his hammer at the forge. “We don’t have much time before they come to collect.”

“I can’t get it hot enough,” Sunron yelled back. “This damn charcoal isn’t burning fast enough.”

“I told you to char it more slowly. You’ve wasted another load of wood,” Nevron griped.

“Don’t blame me. You left the kiln to get more wood. I was trying to keep the temperature down.”

Yadrey watched as his former comrades worked in the dark, smoky room. He didn’t see Waldron which was odd. The man should be there supervising unless he had another magical commission or something.

“Hey lads, where’s Waldron?” he called out to them. They didn’t look up or pause in their labors. It was like they couldn't hear him.

“Oh, shit. I don’t know how to make myself visible again,” Yadrey mumbled. He closed his eyes and wished they could see him. Didn’t work. The two continued working without noticing his presence.

Yadrey stood in the dusty, gloomy room and puzzled. How could he make them see and hear him again? For Zegan, the charm was like second nature but for him this was a whole new world.

“Yaddie, you don’t make yourself visible, you turn off the charm,” a voice whispered in his head. The voice sounded suspiciously like his love, Zegan.

Yadrey tried that, closing his eyes and wishing the charm away.

“What the gods? Adron? Is that you?” Nevron said stepping back from the forge. Sunron looked up and smiled. “Adron!” he squealed.

“Shh!” Yadrey said quietly. “I don’t want Waldron to know I’m here.”

“No chance of that. He’s been gone for many weeks now,” Sunron said cheerfully. “He left the shop to us and took off.”

“What? He’s not here?” Yadrey said in surprise.

“No, he said he was going home. He didn’t need this place any longer,” Nevron grinned. “Good ridden to bad rubbish.”

“He went back to Ando? When did he leave?” Yadrey said, now perturbed. He was ready to make the man pay for his crimes and now he was gone.

“Yeah, I suppose so. He left shortly after you and Ganron ran away. How is the weird little gnome?” Sunron asked stepping closer.

Yadrey looked at Sunron, then Nevron and tears filled his eyes.

“Ganron’s dead isn’t he?” Nevron said and put his hand on Yadrey’s shoulder. “Waldron somehow got to him didn’t he?”

“Yes,” Yadrey said sharply. “And I’m going to make him pay.” The man opened his cloak to show the short sword he’d borrowed from Dregas hanging at his side.

Sunron looked from Nevron to Yadrey in surprise. “What are you talking about?”

“Maybe we should get a flagon at the Pickled Parrot and Adron can tell us what happened,” Nevron said holding his friend’s shoulders and looking the red haired man in the eye. Yadrey nodded and Sunron quickly banked the fires.

********************

“Waldron was going to use the Ganron to quench the Luxellium and set the spell he was putting on it.”

“What do you mean, ‘use Ganron?” Sunron squeaked looking at Nevron askew.

“He did it. Ganron was stabbed at the brothel and instead of bleeding, he had a smoking hole in him,” Yadrey choked out. It was still difficult to dispel the image from his head.

“That bastard!” Nevron exclaimed. “But shouldn’t you go after the guy in the cloak who ordered the machine?”

“He didn’t know anything about killing Ganron or even what the spell entailed. I spoke with him and he was as shocked as anyone. Taranis was just the agent of a merchant who ordered it made,” Yadrey explained.

“Did the merchant have anything to do with Waldron killing him?” Sunron asked. “Maybe that’s who you should go after. Waldron’s in Ando by now. He’ll be hard to find.”

“Dregas, he’s the guy who’s been training me, said our boss doesn’t think the merchant had anything to do with the elements of the spell or Ganron’s death,” Yadrey said. “Though Ganron told me this merchant was the one who put the geas on him.”

“What was the geas?” Nevron asked.

“To do what was necessary to create the machine. Zegan, that’s Ganron’s real name, said he accepted the obligation to save his father.”

“I don’t know about this Adron. I think you may be getting in over your head. Waldron can’t be easy to find and he’s a mage for heaven’s sake. You should just come back and work with us,” Nevron said and Sunron nodded enthusiastically.

Yadrey thought for a moment, trying to clear his head. Zegan was gone. Waldron was gone. The merchant was really powerful, according to Endora. Perhaps this would be best.

The red haired man took another healthy swallow of his ale. He was getting the feeling this was an impossible task. Maybe he should just try and forget it. Yadrey hung his head in despair.

That’s when he heard it.

There was a bard singing in the corner, a song he’d never heard before. Most of the patrons of the Pickled Parrot didn’t pay much attention to music, but at that moment, something about the song grabbed Yadrey and he remembered an event, something Waldron said.

Baby, I have no story to be told

But I've heard one on you

And I'm gonna make your head burn

Think of me in the depths of your despair

Make a home down there

As mine sure won't be shared…”

Hearing those words from the bard reminded him of something. Before they discovered Waldron’s plot and ran away, he and Ganron had to sneak around to be together. Waldron had forbid them but they cared too deeply to heed him. Once, Waldron caught Yadrey and Zegan embracing in the hall. He’d cuffed the half-gnome so hard the man’s ear had bled. But, he did worse to Yadrey.

Waldron grabbed him by the neck and pushed him against the wall. Yadrey could remember his former master’s foul breath, stinking of rancid cheese and cheap wine as he whispered to him to stay away from Ganron. If he didn’t, Waldron warned, he would make the apprentice pay. Then the old monster had said, “The little bitch isn’t worth your tears.”

It was no idle threat, Yadrey knew that now. Waldron had planned to kill Zegan. The whore’s bastard had already decided to use his beloved as an implement to set the spell. He had planned out the entire murder. It was him!

Yadrey thought about the shop, the forge he couldn’t master and the furnace he loathed. Yadrey looked at Nevron and Sunron and began shaking his head. This wasn’t hearth and home to him. This was just a stop along the long and winding road.

No. Zegan was his hearth and he deserved to be avenged. He may die trying to punish those responsible but then he’d be with his beloved.

Yadrey pulse raced as he thought of catching the whore’s bastard and tying him up. He would whip him and then start slicing things off of him. Thinking of Waldron writhing in pain and begging for mercy made the red haired man smile, evilly.

“No, I have to do this. I have to perform this quest so Zegan’s soul can rest easy in his grave,” Yadrey said firmly. “I appreciate the offer you two. This was never my life in the first place. I must go and find Waldron and get some answers.”

The two Makers argued with him but Yadrey’s heart was set. He was now determined to see Waldron with a hole in his guts, like he’d seen in his beloved.

*********************

By the time he returned to the brothel, Yadrey was ready to get started. He was still a novice swordsman and didn’t have any money, not much at least. But, now he had a purpose.

He found Endora in her private quarters talking with Dregas.

“I’m sorry but Waldron has left Gaia-Town. He went back to Ando and I must find him.”

Endora and Dregas looked at Yadrey with grim faces. “Then you’ll need some money and a sword,” the Madame said with a sigh.

“He can have the sword I lent him,” Dregas offered. “I have another.”

“Perfect. I’ll give you your wages,” Endora said. She reached into her voluminous bosom, her ‘treasure chest’ and pulled out a small leather pouch. The dwarf threw the pouch at Yadrey who opened it and looked inside.

“There is far more in here than I could’ve earned,” he said looking at the Madame. “I don’t know when I’ll be able to pay you back.”

“You’ll pay me back in time,” Endora said. “Oh, before you go, I have one more thing for you.”

“You’ve done enough already,” Yadrey said. He couldn’t believe how good she was being to him. Both she and Dregas were treating him like family. The redhead felt a lump grow in his throat.

“Here, put this on,” Endora said handing Yadrey a leather choker with a stone hanging from it. “Never take it off. Thoewald won’t be able to sense you coming if you’re wearing it.”

“Thoewald?” Yadrey asked tying the ends together.

“That’s the name he’s going by now,” Endora answered. “I hear he hasn’t reached Magekeep quite yet.”

After Yadrey left, Dregas asked Endora, “How do you know these things?”

“There are courtesans all over Baurithish my dear. And mages like pillow talk as much as merchants do.”

Dregas considered her answer, and then asked. “I guess so. But, you don’t really think Asmo is blameless do you?”

“Of course he’s to blame. But I’m not stupid enough to think this boy can just march into Asmo’s house and kill him. No, there are better, more subtle ways to punish the merchant. For example, do you know what happens to a spell when the caster dies?”

“No,” Dregas said.

“Well, I do,” Endora laughed. “And it isn’t pretty.”

***********************

Meanwhile, in the Duranic Mountains, a prisoner was languishing in a makeshift prison, bound in chains and streaked with sweat and blood.

“Have you told Lord Urien about him yet?”

“No. I’m afraid if we tell him, he won’t let us collect the reward.”

“Lord Urien wouldn’t go against the mages would he? After all, it is they who laid the price on this prisoner’s head.”

“I wouldn’t be so sure. Lord Urien might want to use him as a pawn against them. He’s not as scared of the mages as he should be. In the meantime, let’s just use him to practice our inquisition skills.”

“We’ll have to tell someone eventually.”

“Yeah, but let’s have some fun first.”

“After you, Kaviz.”

“No, after you Mriri.”

The two elves chuckled. This was going to be a blast.

 

 

“Rolling in the Deep” Writer(s): Adele Laurie Blue Adkins, Paul Epworth Copyright: Emi Music Publishing Ltd., Melted Stone Publishing Ltd.

Check out the updated chapters of the collaborative story that is "Gaia-Town" in the forum at http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/38162-gaia-town-a-non-ga-approved-fantasy-fiction-project/page-2
The combined efforts of me, Aditus, and Joann414.
Copyright © 2014 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter Cole! I really like your idea that Zegan is still somehow with Yadrey. And he is furious and wants revenge! Good for him. Maybe he'll get some help with it. ;)

Link to comment
On 03/07/2014 01:19 AM, aditus said:
Great chapter Cole! I really like your idea that Zegan is still somehow with Yadrey. And he is furious and wants revenge! Good for him. Maybe he'll get some help with it. ;)
Thanks Aditus. Yadrey is gonna need a lot of help. :)
Link to comment

So glad you found a way to give Yadrey, Zegan's magic. I was wondering how the revenge process was going to start. Glad I could be of service with the necklace, pillow talk, etc. :P Love this :great:

Link to comment
On 03/07/2014 03:01 AM, joann414 said:
So glad you found a way to give Yadrey, Zegan's magic. I was wondering how the revenge process was going to start. Glad I could be of service with the necklace, pillow talk, etc. :P Love this :great:
*Yadrey bows to Endora's generosity* Thanks Jo Ann. I can't wait to see what Endora's up to next. Lulz!
Link to comment

Wow, so much info to take in! =)

 

I'm glad Yadrey's stage of grief is now at the anger stage. I hope he finds Waldron and guts him alive! lol

 

The end confused me a little with the elves and Cai. I hope they don't hurt him any more than he is already hurt. Taranis will have a fit!

 

Oh, I noticed a word in one of the sentences three-quarters of the way down. This was when Yadrey went to the smith's shop and found Nevron and Sunron but they couldn't see him. It was written: "'Hey lads, where's Waldron?"...They didn't look up or pause in their labors. It was like they could hear him.' Shouldn't it have been written: '...It was like they could not hear him.'?

 

Terrific chapter, Cole. I'm really getting into this story! Now I read Addy's chapter and your chapter. Can't wait for Jo Ann's!

Link to comment
On 03/07/2014 09:21 AM, Lisa said:
Wow, so much info to take in! =)

 

I'm glad Yadrey's stage of grief is now at the anger stage. I hope he finds Waldron and guts him alive! lol

 

The end confused me a little with the elves and Cai. I hope they don't hurt him any more than he is already hurt. Taranis will have a fit!

 

Oh, I noticed a word in one of the sentences three-quarters of the way down. This was when Yadrey went to the smith's shop and found Nevron and Sunron but they couldn't see him. It was written: "'Hey lads, where's Waldron?"...They didn't look up or pause in their labors. It was like they could hear him.' Shouldn't it have been written: '...It was like they could not hear him.'?

 

Terrific chapter, Cole. I'm really getting into this story! Now I read Addy's chapter and your chapter. Can't wait for Jo Ann's!

Thanks Lisa. I will get that fixed, it is couldn't.

I'm glad you are liking it. Lots of fun getting it together and I can't wait to read Jo Ann's as well. Awesome!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..