Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2017 - Spring - Unintended Consequences & Jagged Edges Entry

Looking Glass - 1. Looking Glass

Inspired by the Jagged Edges theme

Elliott pushed the door open, embracing the darkness within. His guitar case was dragging him down, tugging at the edges of the entryway, impeding his movement, but he wouldn’t be deterred. As a musician, his guitar was like a pacifier for an infant or heroin for a junkie. It was a necessary extension of him. Sometimes it was a burden he’d rather not bear.

Regardless, he needed to sit down, have a drink, and decompress. The sign outside proclaimed the name of the place as Toad Hall which was really cool sounding, and much better than the place down the street called the Honey Bucket. He thought this was a groovy place to get his head together. The past twenty-four hours had been so crazy.

First, he’d been summoned to San Francisco by his aunt to help her move. As a recent grad from Rutgers University in New Jersey, he had been curious why she wanted his help. Sure, the money was nice. It would have been far cheaper to pay people to move her things into the large Victorian in Eureka Valley rather than to drag him all the way here. After he got here and met his aunt’s ‘roommate,’ he understood why. Joyce was a six-foot-tall woman who wore cowboy boots, had short shorn graying hair, and even had a light smattering of chin hairs, which could be categorized as whiskers if you were blunt.

He’d been dealing with all sorts of women who acted like men and men who wanted to look like women for the past five days. All he wanted was to get away. This hole-in-the-wall bar offered him a little solace in this bizarre world he was visiting.

As his eyes adjusted to the low light, he felt some of the tension flow from his muscles. The bar was a standard affair, similar to the ones he was used to in New Jersey. A few men were perched on bar stools, in measured separation, along its length.

A smattering of tables ranged along the wall to the left and in the back. There was another crowd of tables around a small stage. Atop the stage was an array of implements which appeared suspiciously like turntables and speakers. There were at least three of them, which seemed odd. Outside a radio station, who would use more than one record player? Sure, he’d heard about people playing songs in tandem before, but at college parties, not in a local saloon.

He shrugged and walked over to the bar. Climbing a stool, he wedged his guitar next to him underneath the edge of the counter. The bartender smiled at him, nodding. He was cutting something with a knife, but then picked up a towel and wiped his hands carefully as he walked toward him. Elliott wasn’t sure why, but he thought the man was especially graceful-looking. His strides were purposeful, yet somehow smooth and dancer-like.

“What’re you having?” he asked, approaching the musician.

“A beer is fine,” Elliott answered, breathing a sigh of relief. Maybe a couple of drinks and a few minutes away from the idea of Claire would bring his life some perspective. Why was she on his mind? It was an obsession of late. She kept popping up.

The band was on the verge of success, and he needed something to catapult them from obscurity into something. Right now, he was wandering about without much idea where to go.

Fuck.

Things were going well, and not. He was a starving artist with a few gigs and a band, but nothing concrete on the horizon. It made the world both too big and too small at the same time. Alcohol made things seem more manageable for some reason. God, his head was so mixed up about that girl, his ‘not-girl’.

“What’s your preference?” the bartender asked.

“I’ll have an Anchor Steam.”

“Coming up.” The bartender grinned and walked swiftly towards the beer taps. “I haven’t seen you here before. Are you visiting?”

“I’m helping my aunt move.”

“She’s moving into the neighborhood?”

“Sure.” After a moment passed. “Not too far from here.”

“That’s far out. Is this chick cool? Where is her place?

“Yeah, a couple of blocks down.”

“Is she family?” the bartender asked, leveling the foam off the top of the mug with a knife.

“She’s my aunt,” Elliott answered, and then he considered. What did he mean exactly? There appeared to be another internal inquiry within the man’s question. “I’m not sure what you’re asking.”

“Is she a lesbian?” The bartender smirked, “A dyke?”

Elliott watched the man as he set his beer before him on the bar. The bartender had long sandy-colored hair and a shaggy blond moustache. The moment passed slowly. During this time, Elliott noticed a few things. The bartender’s gentle brown eyes blinked back at him slowly, appraising him up and down. The slight smile tried to hide the fact the man was nervous. His hand trembled a little and his cheek twitched. He was waiting for a response, and he reminded Elliott of someone else.

“My aunt’s lover is another woman. Does that bother you?”

The man behind the bar relaxed, almost immediately. A genuine smile curled his lips and he said, “No, we dig it when more family moves in.”

Ever since he arrived in San Fran -- wait, they hate that, San Francisco -- he noticed a kind of mock hostility between gay women and gay men. It was bewildering how this sibling rivalry broke out from time to time. A couple of gay men had helped lug the piano up into Dot’s living room with Joyce ordering people around. The two dudes, they disliked being called that, made it seem like they were annoyed by the women, but when they left it was all hugs and kisses. Mentally, Elliott shrugged and then to make it real, shook his head.

Elliott picked up the mug, gestured his thanks and took a sip of the rich brew. The cool hoppy beer tasted like heaven. He set it down and took stock of the surroundings.

The dark-brown bar was long and polished to a sheen. Behind it were shelves with various bottles arranged neatly in front of a series of mirrors. These mirrors were old-fashioned, well, antiques really. They seemed almost bubbled with some of the silver backing flaking off. The frames were gilded and had shed some of their paint. It wasn’t at first evident in the low lighting of the place, but there were a few things obvious when you looked carefully. This bar was well cared for and at the same time had been thrown together without much money. The place felt comfortable though. Elliott liked it.

The bartender had left and was conversing with other customers at the other end. Every so often, he’d glance at Elliott and his eyes flicked away just as quickly. It felt like the bartender was afraid he’d be noticed staring. Something about that his demeanor teased him. Claire did that. Claire is long gone. Elliott ignored his feelings and took another drink. What was he not seeing?

Never mind, he had to think about his future. The group and his art, they were what mattered.

He was having trouble with the new set. His band was almost perfect, except the music. The songs were missing something: a context, a texture, and an edge that made them stand out. It was bugging him and had since he’d left Jersey for Cali. At first Elliott thought the time away would help give him some perspective. Maybe the distance would give his creative juices a little nudge in the right direction.

His ponderings were interrupted by the sound of a jangling doorbell and the soft puff of a closing door.

The bartender perked up, his bearing became erect and his attention acute. Elliott listened as the footsteps slowed behind him. He watched half-heartedly as a beefy man climbed onto the bar stool next to him.

The barkeep was in front of them, shifting from foot to foot, his mouth twitched from grin to frown and back again. “What can I get for you, Brandon?” he asked, with the man’s name becoming a kind of squeak.

“A beer is fine, a Bud works.”

The terse response seemed perfect for such a large, brooding sort. Elliott noted how the other man’s hair was cut short and bristly. His face was large and angular. The man’s eyes were a brilliant blue, sparkling in the imperfectly reflected light of the old mirror. The newcomer’s demeanor appeared dour at first, but when the bartender set down the beer, his lips curled in pleasure. It was clear, the bartender liked him.

Elliott’s attention returned to his beer. He took another sip and considered his song set. Perhaps the problem was one of context. All their songs were fast moving, hard hitting, riveting and pulsating. They had decided as a group their music should be different and edgy. To a man, the four had discussed what they hoped to convey and it wasn’t a bunch of sickening sweet emotional crap. The Beatles and Beach Boys had already got that shit covered. They would be expressing how fucked up the world was.

“Can you hand me some matches?” The man on the neighboring barstool asked.

Elliott grabbed a pack and handed it to him. “Here you go.”

“Thanks,” he answered, lighting up a smoke and inhaling deeply. “You’re new around here.”

Elliott nodded and said, “I’m here visiting family.” Remembering the bartender’s remarks earlier he added, “My aunt moved into the area.”

The man snorted. His eyes met Elliott’s in the flecked mirror and lighted up in humor. “Another fucking rug muncher.”

Elliott smiled in return, confused. He’d heard the term once before, but his bandmate hadn’t explained himself. Pieter was always coming up with the most confusing references and phrases. Then again, this man reminded him a bit of Pieter whose eyes had on occasion crawled over him like the bartender’s had. Now the man next to him did the same thing. Then he spoke.

“Where are you from?”

Elliott swallowed and turned to see the man’s cheek was flushed.

“I’m from New Jersey. Like I said, I’m here helping my aunt move in with her roommate.”

“Roommate. Lesbos.” The man said, shaking his head.

Elliott let the comment ride for a minute, and then he turned to the man again.

“Excuse me, do you have a problem with women? It’s 1970 for fuck’s sake.”

“No.” he answered emphatically, shaking his head vigorously. “I don’t give a shit about women.”

Elliott watched as the man’s ruddy face began to lighten. His cheeks became pale and his eyes sparkled a little more sadly. Elliott took another sip of his beer and ignored the other man who was clearly a troubled soul. He didn’t need this shit.

His mind returned to his earlier thoughts.

The band’s sound was hard-edged and moving, yet there was something vital missing. Their last gig, a basement party in Pieter’s apartment building, had been well received by most of the people at the party. Yet, the praise felt shallow, perfunctory, and not completely sincere. Elliott wasn’t entirely sure why he had that impression, but it was there in the back of his brain nagging at him. The crowd noticed something wasn’t there.

“Women made it all up,” the burly man next to him said, interrupting Elliot’s musings. “That’s the problem I have with chicks. They made the whole idea up.”

“What idea?” Elliott asked without thinking.

“Love. The whole goddamn concept is bullshit.”

Elliott didn’t know how to answer him. In fact, he wondered if he should answer the man at all.

“Brandon, you want another?” the barkeep called out.

“Sure,” the man answered. “We’re both guys, right? I mean, it doesn’t matter which side our bread is buttered on, we should know it’s all imaginary.”

Elliott turned and watched as the man wiped his eyes and then fingered his necklace. He hadn’t noticed it at first. It was a delicate one, silver, and dangling at the nape of the man’s neck was a locket of the same make as the chain.

Elliot swallowed and said, “I’m not sure what you mean, not exactly.”

His neighbor swiveled on the bar stool and peered deeply into his eyes. Elliott leaned back instinctively.

“I think women made the whole idea of love up and we believe in the fairytale. Nobody falls in love, not really. It’s fake, like the Easter bunny or Santa Claus.”

Elliott read the other man’s face and it wasn’t saying the same thing as his words. Brandon, if that was actually his name, was ashen and his eyes were begging for something, some relief. It was obvious from the distressed expression on his face, the man was in pain. Something about him was familiar, again.

“Why do you think it’s made up? I think a lot of poets, many of them men, would disagree with you.”

Brandon shook his head slowly. “I read this article about how we think things exist, but they are only borrowed from what we are told. Movies and books and our families tell us about true love and stuff, yet it doesn’t really exist. It’s something we accept but has no meaning in the real world. It’s all socially made-up or something.”

Elliott watched as the bartender set another beer down in front of the other man. Finally, he asked, “I don’t get what you’re saying about women though. What do women have to do with the concept of love?”

Brandon sighed. He fingered the pendant at his neck for a moment and then faced Elliot. “Men tell women they love them to get laid. Women invented the idea of romantic love to catch a man to take care of them. The whole thing is bullshit and as gay men we need to speak the truth. Love doesn’t exist.” This sounded rehearsed. The guy was repeating something someone had told him, verbatim it appeared.

It was only then Elliott realized three different and equally distinct things were happening that he hadn’t noticed before. First, the man next to him was young, very young, probably in his mid-teens. He was a big kid, muscled and large, but in his tender years.

Second, the reason he thought Brandon was older was because he was haggard and the lines ingrained were from tiredness and fatigue. The boy’s eyes were red and swollen and his shoulders were slumped and rounded with despair.

Finally, Elliott realized the teenager was depressed and that added to his sense of advanced years. Flickering behind those sad eyes was a glimmer of hopefulness. Brandon was begging him to argue, to tell him how wrong he was. The young man was praying for relief.

Those eyes pleading for mercy reminded him of Claire, his girl in high school. She broke his heart when she left for college. In some ways, he compared the women he met, the girls he dated, to her. Claire was a year older and left an imprint as deep and profound as anything he’d ever experienced. He loved her. He’d always love her.

“I think you’re wrong,” Elliott said after the pause. “I believe in love.”

“Really?”

“Really.” Glancing around, Elliott realized he was a stranger here. He didn’t belong with the men dressed in leather, those in flannel shirts, and a few in blouses and tight jeans. His bar mate was dressed in an ordinary pullover and corduroys, but he was a homosexual as well. Brandon’s glances stripped Elliott bare. He squirmed, but then settled down. Is this how women felt when sitting within a group of men? Did they feel eyes caress their breasts, their hips, their crotches with open abandon? Elliott now realized these other men had touched his most private parts with their glances.

In a way, it made him feel good. In another way, as Brandon’s eyes traveled up and down his torso, it made him feel naked and violated. Elliott turned and watched the teenager face away from him, his head hanging low again.

“I think we created the idea of love because we’ve experienced it. Not everybody feels the same way exactly, but I think we all know it’s out there, somewhere.”

Brandon hiccupped and shook his head despondently. Grasping the silver chain, he thumbed the pendant opening it with an almost soundless click. “What good is love if it leaves you and never returns?”

Elliott didn’t answer him. He watched as the boy read something in the locket. His lips mouthed a name he couldn’t decipher. A single teardrop leaked from the corner of his eyes and trickled down his cheek.

“His name is Roger and he’s in the merchant marine on a ship,” Brandon sighed and added, “far away.”

“You love him, don’t you?”

Brandon nodded, appearing young again, the tear had washed the haggardness from his eyes. Now he seemed childlike, vulnerable and sad. “How can I love someone who doesn’t want me?”

Elliott thought back to Claire. He thought of when the latest girl screamed at him as he left her apartment back in Jersey. Those words now haunted him.

“Why can’t you love me?”

Why couldn’t he? When his first love rejected him, it made him feel hollow. Now, when his latest chick demanded love, he couldn’t answer her then, or now. He felt the need to be with her, not-her. He desperately wanted to touch her, taste her, feel her warmth envelop him. But, he didn’t really feel like he loved not-her, not like it was…with Claire. He had loved Claire; he couldn’t feel that way about his last girl, who was definitely ‘not-her’.

God, we fuck everything up. An image came to him. It felt right.

Elliott drank the last of his beer and watched as his bar mate rubbed his eyes dry. “People are like jigsaw puzzles,” he finally said, speaking to the bubbled, flecked mirror more than to Brandon. “They have these jagged edges that can only fit with other jagged edges. We just need to find the one that mirrors our own.”

At first the teenager looked lost. After a few moments, his face relaxed as comprehension dawned. Brandon nodded and cleared his throat. “I need to get past him.” He closed the pendant and gave Elliott the ghost of a smile. “I can’t wait for him any longer. He said I’d make someone the perfect lover, just not him.”

“Yeah,” Elliott agreed, getting down from the bar stool. “I can relate.” A flash of Claire’s face flitted through his memory. Her ruby lips were pursed in a kiss goodbye. Her smell was of rose and powder. She told him she cared for him. She liked him. But, she’d never be able to love him.

Just like he could never love another woman.

Brandon lightly touched Elliott’s arm, tentatively. Elliott turned back.

“I need you to know, he was honest with me.”

Elliott weighed the teen’s words and nodded.

“God, he told me he couldn’t stay with me. He … well, it wasn’t in his blood.”

Elliott nodded. Brandon wasn’t done though. His mouth opened and shut a couple of times and then he said, “He told me something about my eyes was almost enough to keep him here. He said they were special.”

Elliott thought about his high-school love. He thought about Claire. He considered the pain in Brandon’s face leaking so profusely from his eyes. The words seemed to form without thought, though he knew they were as much for his own comfort as for the other person.

“Your man is out there, like you said, somewhere looking for you.” Elliott started to leave.

“You mean, he’s on the other side of the looking glass waiting for me?” Brandon asked, touching Elliott’s sleeve. “My own jigsaw puzzle piece?”

Elliott smiled back at him ruefully as he picked up his guitar, ready to go. “Something like that.” He now understood why the teenager seemed so familiar to him. Brandon had the same look his bandmate Pieter had sometimes: haunted, hoping, and needing. Was there a sense of hopelessness to his face?

***

As Elliott hung up his jacket in the foyer, he heard his aunt calling to him. “Get washed up, dinner’s almost ready.” Elliott stepped into the little bathroom in the front hallway and thought about the teen back at the bar. Something was tugging at him, pulling and twisting and it bothered him. Sometimes when he was writing a song, one inspiration would be enough to complete the lyrics and tune. Other times he needed more. It was like the song needed to be coaxed out of hiding from within him. This felt like one of those times. His intuition told him, he needed to sing Brandon’s story, yet it was still incubating inside his head.

His aunt, Dot and her lover, Joyce, were already seated at the table with a big bowl of steaming pasta and red sauce in the center of the dark, lacquered table. He sat down at his regular spot and adjusted the crocheted placemat. Elliott fidgeted with his fork as Dot filled his plate.

“Seeing the sights today?” Joyce asked, handing him a basket with garlic bread in it. Elliott unfolded the napkin and picked out a piece of buttery toast.

“Not really. I went for a walk. Have you ever been to Toad Hall? It’s a bar down near the Castro Theater at the other end of Eureka Valley.”

“Didn’t we go dancing there when it first opened?” Joyce asked Dot. “If I recall, it’s mostly gay men and gay women weren’t really welcomed.”

“I stopped in for a drink and talked with this guy about the nature of love.”

His aunt and her lover stopped eating and stared at him. “You did what?” They asked at the same time.

“I stopped for a drink. I didn’t know it was bar for gay people.” Elliott paused. “I really didn’t know.”

“Honey, you met someone?” Dot asked, arching her left eyebrow.

“Yeah,” Elliott saw the two women staring at him and shook his head. “Not like that. I was sitting at the bar and a young man, a kid really, sat next to me and told me he thought love wasn’t real. He said love is something we created to control other people.”

“I see,” Dot answered, twirling spaghetti on her fork. “Some jaded queen no doubt.”

“He was young,” Elliott said. “He started crying and told me his boyfriend’s name was Roger, who left him. It was so tragic.”

The two women ate in silence, glancing over at the young man. Elliott couldn’t calm his racing thoughts. Finally he blurted, “I think I’ll write a song about it.”

Joyce chuckled and said, “A song about a jilted gay boy in a bar. I thought you wrote more shit about raging against the establishment and screwing the police and crap like that.”

Elliott groaned. “I do. I mean, most of my songs are pretty hard-core.”

“Artists!” Dot said, smiling at her nephew. “It takes all kinds.”

And with that, the subject was dropped.

***

Elliott stood outside the window of Toad Hall and watched as the bartender poured a beer for a patron. At first he’d been quite surprised to see Brandon worked there. He still thought the young man had to be in his teens yet, too young to work at such an establishment. But, here he was selling booze, flirting with the men at the bar, and laughing. It was so unlike two nights ago when he was crying and talking about losing Roger to the sea.

Elliott pushed his hands into his pants pockets and leaned against the corner of the building. In a couple of hours, he’d be heading back to New Jersey and the band. Watching Brandon work, something suddenly clicked in his head.

He needed a ballad, or rather, the band needed one. All the great rock bands had a moving song which told a story. Elliott began thinking about Brandon’s tale of the man he loved and lost. Why couldn’t he get past this Roger character? What was he so obsessed with?

Why couldn’t he get past Claire? Wasn’t it the same thing? The thought made him shiver.

Elliott pushed off the corner and started walking back toward his aunt’s house. Looking in one more time, he saw Brandon had stopped moving. He was staring into the mirror and fingering the silver chain and the little pendant, the locket. Brandon eyes fell on him, a blink of recognition signaled to Elliott. With a little nod, the musician acknowledged Brandon.

Elliott hurried away, with a song coming together in his head; Claire’s face was exploding in his mind. It didn’t fucking matter if the person was named Brandy or Brandon, not really. Unrequited love doesn’t know gender, and it doesn’t know time, either.

I hope you enjoyed my little story of the nature of love and how, unrequited as it may be from time to time, it's real and not a figure of our imagination.
Copyright © 2017 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2017 - Spring - Unintended Consequences & Jagged Edges Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I remember Toad Hall on the corner of 18th & Castro, Harvey’s is in that prime location now. I’m a non-drinker, non-smoker and those were the days before smoking was banned in California bars, restaurants, and most other public venues. With the exception of Oakland’s White Horse Inn, I usually only went into bars when I was doing volunteer work.

 

But I wasn’t even a teenager yet when this story takes place. I hadn’t really started listening to music (other than what my parents chose – in other words, religious music). And I was still living in the then-conservative and very homophobic Navy town, San Diego.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I love this story.  It's so thought-provoking and relatable.  I also believe that love exists, but I completely understand Brandon's feelings.  I hope he was able to find what he was looking for.  I'm dying to know what the songs are you mentioned.  I have a feeling I'll :facepalm: once I know what they are.  lol  Great job, Cole :hug: 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Who cares if love is something mysterious or just  chemical firework inside our brain, male or female. It makes us feel; sometimes happy and sometimes sad but always alive. Worthy a song. Thank you, Cole!

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Love is never what we expect, and unrequited love is a terrible thing.  Love knows no boundaries and it really makes this story so relatable. Great story, but now I'm curious as to the songs being referenced. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

The one that comes after is often shortchanged, and the cycle of bitterness begins... or continues. What did we do wrong... we ask ourselves? Nothing. We just weren't the one. You delved into the pain of our self defense mechanisms in a unique way, but you did it with clarity, Cole. Young, old, male, female, gay, straight... the pain is the same. We ave no choice but to move on... still, we are forever changed. Brandon and Elliot were adrift in similar boats, ships passing in the night, maybe meant to meet so they could help each other change course. It was satisfying for me as a reader... I understood all the emotions, and I saw hope at the end. Well done, sir... we may question love, but we all crave it like we crave water... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 4
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, Cole Matthews said:

 Meatloaf had a song entitled Two Out of Three Ain't Bad.

 

One of my favorite songs, and I can see how it could inspire Elliot's story.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
41 minutes ago, Cole Matthews said:

Okay, let's reveal the two songs which I used as a kind of emotional guide.  The first is Brandy, You're a Fine Girl, by Elliott Lurie of the band Looking Glass.  It was a number one hit in 1972.  It's about a barmaid who fell in love was left by a sailor.  Brandon is suffering from the same affliction as Brandy in the song.  

 

The other song is more of Elliott's story than Brandon's.  Meatloaf had a song entitled Two Out of Three Ain't Bad.  Elliott was experiencing the effects of alienation from his first love.  That's why there ain't no Coupe de Ville hiding at the bottom of a Cracker Jack box.  Elliott thinks he's empty and used up, like the narrator in the Meatloaf song.

 

I think we sometimes forget love isn't all sweetness and light.  It can hurt more deeply and longer lasting than hate.  It can twist us and make our hearts bitter leaving a sour taste in our mouth.  Love is an incredibly important part of life. It is far more than happiness.  Love can both give and take away meaning from life.  

 

At least, that's what I was trying to accomplish.  Thanks for reading!!!

How the hell did I miss Meatloaf??  Bat Out of Hell is one of my all-time favorite albums!  Told you I'd :facepalm:  lol  Great job, Cole :D 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

And I remember Brandy, You’re a Fine Girl! (I also remember that Barry Manilow had to change the title of his song to ‘Mandy’ because of it – he could have Come Out decades earlier if he’d named it ‘Brandon’! But he wasn’t ready way back then. So I can make a somewhat roundabout Gay connection to the song.)  ;-)

Edited by droughtquake
Link to comment

As a writer and an artist, I feel you are always searching for the unique and unsaid. If I'm allowed to focus on details first, I will say the first time I read this piece, I liked the real feeling I got from the female couple. They seem real, for the era for sure, and liked the way they played with their nephew and the culture of the nascent Castro. It's a compliment when I say they have an edge that one does not often encounter when the characters are not the main ones, but I admire your skill in bringing them to life here. 

 

Less of a detail than a prime driver of the plot is how Elliott processed his emotions concerning having his heart broken. Your commitment to reality makes him less than heroic when he in turns breaks a girl's heart, but this story is about that recognition.

 

Naturally, it's brilliant that you make Brandon the subject of Elliott's catharses. Well done! 

 

  

  • Like 5
Link to comment

What a wonderful story, Cole!!!

 

Man, I LOVE that song, Brandy! I would have NEVER put two and two together about Looking Glass and Brandy, and Brandon! I never knew the band members of the group either, so Elliot was lost on me. lol

 

Meatloaf was another favorite of mine. Like Val, Bat Out of Hell is one of my all-time favorite albums. That song in particular. :)

 

I still believe in love. Even after my douchebag of an ex-husband left me with three boys under thirteen, I still believe in the power of love. (And that wasn't mean to quote Huey Lewis. lol) You can never give up hope for anything because then, what is there to live for? There's always hope. And love.

 

Excellent story, Cole! :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Unrequited love is the most painful of all heartaches and yet sometimes it is somewhat too self absorbed (when it is a crush / infatuation) ...  In the cases involving Elliot and Brandon, the former sentiment would be true ...

 

The two songs that you've referenced here have completely gone over my head, sorry, I don't think I've listened to them before ...

Link to comment

I read this story to find out where the "find a coupe de ville in the bottom of a cracker jack box". I knew it was a lyric stuck in my head. As Brandon toyed with his locket in the mirror, I thought, "Jeez, could this be any more blatant". Was this writer in the band "Looking Glass"? Then I couldn't believe no one posting comments got it... then only after reading your comment did I remember Meat Loaf and the crackerjack coupe de ville. So, I guess it evened out. Nice story. Not what I was expecting. Love hurts, love scars. Love wounds and mars.... 

Jim

Link to comment
On 5/11/2017 at 12:28 AM, droughtquake said:

I remember Toad Hall on the corner of 18th & Castro, Harvey’s is in that prime location now. I’m a non-drinker, non-smoker and those were the days before smoking was banned in California bars, restaurants, and most other public venues. With the exception of Oakland’s White Horse Inn, I usually only went into bars when I was doing volunteer work.

 

But I wasn’t even a teenager yet when this story takes place. I hadn’t really started listening to music (other than what my parents chose – in other words, religious music). And I was still living in the then-conservative and very homophobic Navy town, San Diego.

 

What I love about this review is the fact you relate.  I never lived there at that time, yet the space did something special, it spoke to me.  I wanted say how love isn't easy.  It isn't always simple.  Yet, the feelings Brandon and Elliott felt are so real.  It makes us feel better and more complete.  That's why we strive for it.  Thanks for such a lovely review.  Sorry it took so long for me to reply.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 5/12/2017 at 10:32 AM, Timothy M. said:

Maybe Elliot needs to realize something about himself - the real reason why he can't love a woman, apart from the innocent love for his high school girl friend. But I agree, love knows no age or gender or time.

 

I think Elliott understands love isn't a practice he can control.  Love is an experience we embrace, or not, or suffer the consequences of.  Thank you for an awesome reflection.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 5/13/2017 at 9:22 AM, Puppilull said:

I believe love exists, since we all have such a longing to belong, to have someone that is firmly in our corner. Friends and family can fill some of that void, but not all. Not fully. And that's the saddening part. To see someone you hold very dear as a friend, not find what they are looking for. Love is random and unpredictable, impossble to control, no matter how much we try.  

 

That is what this story conveys.  You are right.  Can we make it less painful?  Maybe?  I don't know.  I love your ideas.  

Thanks for your comment.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 5/13/2017 at 6:52 PM, Valkyrie said:

I love this story.  It's so thought-provoking and relatable.  I also believe that love exists, but I completely understand Brandon's feelings.  I hope he was able to find what he was looking for.  I'm dying to know what the songs are you mentioned.  I have a feeling I'll :facepalm: once I know what they are.  lol  Great job, Cole :hug: 

 

Just realized I never answered these comments.  I'm painted red.  

 

Looking forward to your visit.  You are a wonderful friend.

 

Cole

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 5/15/2017 at 11:47 AM, aditus said:

Who cares if love is something mysterious or just  chemical firework inside our brain, male or female. It makes us feel; sometimes happy and sometimes sad but always alive. Worthy a song. Thank you, Cole!

 

You are right,!  Hahaha.  It doesn't matter unless we are troubled.  That's why we practice our art.  It helps us cope and smile.  It brings us joy, as you do, my dear friend.

 

Cole.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 5/15/2017 at 9:52 PM, comicfan said:

Love is never what we expect, and unrequited love is a terrible thing.  Love knows no boundaries and it really makes this story so relatable. Great story, but now I'm curious as to the songs being referenced. 

 

God, I was seduced and tormented by the promise of songs, art, and the ideas of people loving one another in my youth.  Then, I realized it wasn't so simple.  As a gay man, I suffered a lack of experience in my youth.  Thanks for your comments.  :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 5/24/2017 at 1:36 PM, hohochan657 said:

Unrequited love is the most painful of all heartaches and yet sometimes it is somewhat too self absorbed (when it is a crush / infatuation) ...  In the cases involving Elliot and Brandon, the former sentiment would be true ...

 

The two songs that you've referenced here have completely gone over my head, sorry, I don't think I've listened to them before ...

 

Unrequited love is a fascinating idea to explore.  We humans are especially victims of hoping, wishing, yearning for love we may never reach.  Yet, it also gives us some practice for that which we may be able to  grasp.  We can then hold it gently, if we are wise, and nurture it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..