Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

So Weeps the Willow - 7. Sobriety - Day 6

Jake has a bad day, and he let's the Internet know, this is harder than it looks. The counter hasn't moved since the day before though.

Counter - 6

Day 6

No wonder I’m gay.

God, sometimes I really hate women. Okay, not really. There are two women in my life right now who are being total bitches. They both managed to drive me so batty I almost slipped up tonight. It took all my will power not to walk into Gallivant’s, climb onto a bar stool, order a gin martini and tell Vic to keep them coming. I can almost taste the piney gin and the touch of dry vermouth coupled with the salty, crunch of the olive with the oily feel on my tongue after biting into it. I can feel the warmth as it goes down my throat, feel the heat radiate from my stomach outwards filling my soul. The aroma of the green olive, the woods-iness of the gin and the ice coldness all come together to make it the perfect sensory experience. It would ease the tensions caused by the two women who were driving me mad.

However, I didn’t fall. I went home, ate an orange ice pop and pouted.

Here’s how the day went. This afternoon before work, I had a sneaking suspicion the rent check I wrote didn’t make it to my mom’s landlord. Having dealt with this situation before; I looked up Chad, her landlord’s phone number. I called him and asked if he had received the money. Lo and behold, he hasn’t seen a check or anything resembling rent from my dear mother. Chad gave me his address, again, and we hung up. Obviously, the guy didn’t want me claiming the check was in the mail to some other place. I realized being my mother’s son would make me suspect. That steamed me. She did it again. Grrrr!!!!

I called my bank and cancelled the check. You see, she’s done this a time or two before. Usually when she needs the rent paid and doesn’t have it, she will hand it over to him. But at least twice in the past year, she forged Chad’s signature, countersigned it, and cashed it at one of the shady loan places she likes to frequent. Dad had warned me about this, but I always defended her.

No more. I’m done.

I dropped off a new check at her landlord’s house. Chad was apologetic, and informed me he couldn’t deal with her anymore. She had screaming fits at the other tenants late at night. Two weeks ago, he found her passed out in the back door, a shattered bottle of her precious whiskey in shards around her feet. Her legs were cut and bleeding.

Chad said, “It’s not that she’s a bad person. She’s just too much trouble.”

It hit home, big time. I had been on the same path, I knew it. Now six days in, yes, I’m still counting because it’s still hard, I had some perspective. I was wallowing in her wake, following her example, making my way toward oblivion. I now knew how she felt in the beginning. It would have been so easy to give into the alcohol and maybe a couple of side addictions as well. I know my mom likes to gamble and drink. I always liked to drink and pick up one-night stands. Maybe sex addiction was on my horizon as a bonus prize!!!!

Fuck me.

Two hours later, I received the call from her. My mother was so angry, she almost sounded sober. She called me an ungrateful, selfish bastard who was just like my cheating, stingy, hateful father. She wanted nothing more to do with me unless I paid off ‘her friends’ at the check cashing place. I told her I wasn’t paying her debts, or her rent anymore. That made the situation worse, as I knew it would.

Her language got so abusive, so bad, I almost hung up. I couldn’t though. It was my mother and I thought maybe if I told her about my sobriety, she might, well, think about it. What a stupid idea.

It didn’t help. She next accused me of being part of a cult and a zombie. She said they’d poisoned my mind and when I told her I had never even gone to AA, at least I’d not gone into the meeting, she said I was lying.

Just like that, her anger turned to tears and she started begging me for help. My mom was a mess. I started crying as well. I finally had to hang up. She called back twice. Once to call me an ungrateful, selfish bastard who was just like my cheating, stingy, hateful father. (I guess she had that one memorized). The next time she called was to plead for money because the check-cashing people would hurt her, and I would be responsible for her pain. It would be my fault if they beat her up.

My fault.

What a tragic day.

I got to work that evening needing a friend. I was sure Nats would be there for me. She seemed to avoid me most of the night though. Her section was on the other side of Fisherman’s Wake, on the other side of the tuna boat, which sits in the middle and is used for special parties. I finally caught up with her at nine o’clock. She was first cut that day and working on her sidework, rolling silverware I think. I sat down and greeted her. Her eyes looked at me with annoyance.

“I thought we could hang out tonight, maybe at my place this time,” I said, as calmly as I could. I could feel her discomfort though.

“Not tonight. I have plans.”

“Oh, it’s just I had such a bad day and…you’re not upset with me about something, are you?” I asked.

Nats shook her head ‘no’ and continued rolling knives and forks into tan cloth napkins.

“If I’ve done something stupid, I’d like to know,” I said, now becoming a little hot and scared at the same time.

“You’ve done nothing,” she said curtly. “I have plans tonight. I’m going to Gallivant’s to meet friends.”

“Oh,” I answered, confused. I tried another tack. “I got into this big fight with my mom. She stole the money I loaned her for rent to—“

“I really don’t care, Jake. Your boring alcoholism doesn’t really interest me. I have skipped at least two nights of some fun to listen to you whine about your ‘addiction’ and your ‘problems’. God, it’s so sad. You should listen to yourself.” Nats fingers were still in the air from when she made air quotes, impressing what a nothing-burger I am to her.

I felt the stinging in the back of my throat and stood up quickly. I hurried from the table as the tears began to well. I wiped them away, coughed to clear my airway, and took a deep breath.

Now I feel a little better. I’m okay. I really am.

"I’ll never forget our first night. After the bar closed, we walked around downtown together. We ended up at his apartment in an old brownstone on the southern edge of town, and we just kept talking." -Jake-
Copyright © 2017 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 37
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I’m sorry, but Jake needs to practice some tough love with his mother. He’s finally realizing she’s just been using him. He’s been enabling her bad behavior.

 

Nat is practicing her own version of tough love with Jake, but I think maybe she just needs a break from dealing with his problems.

Link to comment

Addiction makes people so incredibly selfish, but when it's people you expect would care for you it can be hard to see. Instead, those feelings turn inside, eating away at you. Very strong of Jake to not faulter tonight. But I think he'll need a better support system for when things get worse. I think both mom and Nats have problems. Maybe not the same, but still choosing "fun" over Jake isn't healthy. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

This is a rough one for Jake. His mother’s response is typical and hurtful. 

 

I have two thoughts about Jake and Nat. The first is that Jake is a little manipulative- maybe not the right word, but getting mad at Nat when she is under no obligation to listen to his ‘whining’ isn’t fair. That’s where the support of AA or therapy or something other than friends comes in.

 She is his friend and support doesn’t mean she has to be on-call for his meltdowns 24/7. Especially when she might not be equipped or know how to handle it. If she is a really, way back when close friend this makes her a little shallow and callous. (I forget of it was mentioned how they met or how close they were) 

 

My second thought. Nat herself might be mad at Jake for getting sober. She might be resentful of losing her ‘fun’ partner. Like, you decided to go sober I didn’t.. so fu.. 

Was she part of the problem? Someone who he could have drinks with freely without censor. If that’s the case, maybe Nat maybe another person who’s no good for his sobriety right now.. Not that she’s no good.. 

 Forgive my ramble. 

 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

What's up with Nats? Maybe I need to back a couple of chapters and see if I missed something. Thanks.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/10/2017 at 6:10 PM, AC Benus said:

"...a nothing-burger..."

 

Lots of emotions raised in this one. Sadness for Jake. His struggle seemed hard enough, and now it appears he'll have to do it alone. Anger for Mom and Nats. One is acting on compulsion, and when that erratic, self-preservation behavior comes from a parent, it can rip a heart out. Nats, she acted on a malicious impulse. Both aimed to hurt Jake, so it's anyone's choice who succeeded better (or worse). 

 

Provocative. Thanks for posting.  

 

Remember, this is Jake's response to interactions with other loved ones in his life.  His blog contains his viewpoints.  That being said, you are right about both his mother and Nats.  They love him, and yet, they have problems with him.  As usual Al, you are dissecting things and seeing my ideas wink through the haze.  This is only the first section of three.  I'm just saying.  

Thanks!

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/10/2017 at 6:16 PM, droughtquake said:

I’m sorry, but Jake needs to practice some tough love with his mother. He’s finally realizing she’s just been using him. He’s been enabling her bad behavior.

 

Nat is practicing her own version of tough love with Jake, but I think maybe she just needs a break from dealing with his problems.

 

Jake has been too accepting of his mother's bad behavior.  She doesn't see it as using him, I'm guessing.  Nats is another story.  

Thanks for your comments.  Maybe she needs a break.  ;)

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/10/2017 at 7:21 PM, rockycs said:

Hmm  Nats stated concern is that she has "skipped two nights of fun to listen to you whine.....".  I don't think that's tough love - but possibly another alcoholic talking.  The fellow who went to the AA meeting might be a better bet  at understanding Jake's issue.

 

Nats is reacting as a person can at times reacts.  There is lots going on.  Of course, her statements are hurtful and quite rude.  Lots more coming up.  

 

Thanks for an awesome review!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/10/2017 at 8:34 PM, Headstall said:

I was intrigued by the chapter's ending... "I'll never forget our first night. After the bar closed..."  Anyway, back to the journal entry. Nat surprised me... this seemed so unlike what I knew of her... is she feeling her own withdrawal or is it something else? Either way, that was callous... cruel even. Jake is trying so hard, and she was avoiding him? 

 

Jake knows his mother's issues, but has he ever looked at them this close before? That had to have hit home, given the timing. I doubt he'll be able to wash his hands of her. Like he said, she's his mom. Yet, he is vulnerable, and to let her too close could/will endanger his success. All in all, this was sad. I will instead look forward to hearing what that last line was about... thanks and cheers, Cole... Gary....

 

Oh, you are insightful.  Nats is hurt, obviously.  Jake is occupied by his own problems.  That being said, there are now things in motion.  Jake's blog is his interpretation of the events in his life.  Remember that.  It matters more than you know now.  

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/11/2017 at 10:38 AM, Stephen said:

Jake needs to confront reality. Things are sometimes exactly as they seem, and there's a lot of bad stuff that's holding him back. The baggage of life

they call it. Growing up means decisions, -his own. If he does nothing, then it's his own fault. He's not his mother. He just needs to realize that

and move on from there.

 

 

Ding, ding, ding!!!!  Things are exactly as they seem, however, there is also more to the story.  Yeah!!  He needs to make decisions and so do others.  

 

You are so right!  

 

Thanks for the comments.  

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/11/2017 at 2:40 PM, Puppilull said:

Addiction makes people so incredibly selfish, but when it's people you expect would care for you it can be hard to see. Instead, those feelings turn inside, eating away at you. Very strong of Jake to not faulter tonight. But I think he'll need a better support system for when things get worse. I think both mom and Nats have problems. Maybe not the same, but still choosing "fun" over Jake isn't healthy. 

 

Very true.  Great insights.  Jake is reacting to how his mother and his best friend are seeing him.  All the characters in this story have problems, and we are seeing the first of them.  

Lots to come.  Thanks for the comments.  

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/14/2017 at 2:58 PM, Defiance19 said:

This is a rough one for Jake. His mother’s response is typical and hurtful. 

 

I have two thoughts about Jake and Nat. The first is that Jake is a little manipulative- maybe not the right word, but getting mad at Nat when she is under no obligation to listen to his ‘whining’ isn’t fair. That’s where the support of AA or therapy or something other than friends comes in.

 She is his friend and support doesn’t mean she has to be on-call for his meltdowns 24/7. Especially when she might not be equipped or know how to handle it. If she is a really, way back when close friend this makes her a little shallow and callous. (I forget of it was mentioned how they met or how close they were) 

 

My second thought. Nat herself might be mad at Jake for getting sober. She might be resentful of losing her ‘fun’ partner. Like, you decided to go sober I didn’t.. so fu.. 

Was she part of the problem? Someone who he could have drinks with freely without censor. If that’s the case, maybe Nat maybe another person who’s no good for his sobriety right now.. Not that she’s no good.. 

 Forgive my ramble. 

 

 

Let's take your last comment first, because it's interesting.  Jake probably has irked Nats with his sobriety.  Also, did his issues impact her?  Is she an alcoholic?  We don't know.  

 

Second paragraph asks if Jake is manipulative?  I think he has to be.  Nats is dealing with it, but she chose him as a friend as well.  There is some co-dependency going on, perhaps.   

 

Then, there is Jake's mother and her issues. I won't comment right now.  Who handed down what issues?  

 

Thanks for some wonderful ideas.

 

Cole.  

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
21 hours ago, JeffreyL said:

What's up with Nats? Maybe I need to back a couple of chapters and see if I missed something. Thanks.

 

I love this comment, and question.  Consider their relationship?  What is going on?  After all, we are looking at Jake flailing about.  

 

Lots of interesting stuff going on.  Jake's reflections are his own.  We are seeing his words, not objective reporting.  The blog will matter later.  

 

Thanks for your ideas!!!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I've been catching up on this wonderful story slowly but surely! :)

 

When I got to the part at the end where Nats is totally rude and callous to Jake, my first thought was, "Jesus Christ, wtf is her problem? I thought she was his friend!" Then I read Def's comment about Nat. That would make perfect sense, though. Nat loves to go out drinking, and now she's losing her drinking buddy, so obviously she's going to be pissed at Jake. Obviously she's being totally selfish, but she can't see that now. She gets pissy with him saying she's lost two days of fun because she's been listening to him constantly kvetching about the same things over and over. So, yeah, it would make sense that she would be upset about losing her drinking partner.

 

As far as Jake's "mother", what a f'n bitch! She's using him, and he's enabling her to use him. He needs to stop.

 

Awesome chapter, Cole! :)

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Excellent writing. The way mothers manipulate their sons is sickening. Nate was right to tell him what a 'weeping willow' he is.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

i was an addict ... it eased life for a time.

 

i am patient but only for so long. Alcoholics are boring and pathetic, i have no patience for them and their problems.  i don't know if i'd have been different. my withdrawal happened while i was unconscious in a hospital. 

 

i drink now sometimes, but it is very controlled and not often.  i've been whiny and i cannot stand myself

 

i wonder if Nat is pissed at Jake helping himself, or if she just runs out of patience and needs to be away from him.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..