Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

So Weeps the Willow - 8. Sobriety - Day 7

We get to know a little more about Jake's relationship with Eddie.

Counter
9

Day 7

 

Eddie called me. He wanted to talk, and even though I’m still horrified at my overreaction during the panic attack, I agreed to meet him. He sounded kind of odd, like something was wrong. We did date for over a year so I do have some experience with how he reacts to things. I can tell by his tone, his inflection, and even his silences, how he feels. He’s the one I let get away, I never should have. I guess we live and learn, if we survive it, that is.

Before I tell you about Eddie, I want to mention I talked to my dad. He was really great, supportive about my sobriety, and he apologized for my mother. I don’t know why he felt the need. I probably know her as well as he does. Let’s face it, she wouldn’t know sobriety if it kicked her in the teeth. I know, that’s rude, but honestly, it’s how I feel today. Breathe.

We are talking about Eddie. What is it about him right now that is worrisome? He was always there until I drove him away. He took me to the fricking doctor, for heaven’s sake. Why does he make me nervous?

Maybe I don’t know. Maybe it’s intuition. I can’t really say? As I think about my previous references to Eddie, knowing him, really getting him, has he ever done something to me to cause doubt? I know him, really understand him, but is it enough? We were lovers communicating through touch and sensation and sounds. Doesn’t that give a person a glimpse inside the other’s soul? Or am I making too much out of the fact we’d made love, many times.

How do we know people? I know Eddie, and yet do I really?

My parents were lovers at one time. They knew each other’s intimate reactions. They held hands, went on dates, got nervous, excited, fought, made up, and then settled down to each other’s breathing as they slept. Is there anything more informative than two people really studying each other so closely, reading the other’s actions and reactions so intimately?

That’s how I know Eddie’s most protected tells. I think there were times I actually could feel how he felt. We had that kind of connection. Did my mom and dad have such a thing once upon a time before she became a drunk and he became missing? Even if I asked, would they know how to answer?

Boy, I’m pretty philosophical today, huh?

Anyway, Eddie, what can I say about him. He was good to me, loved me, I loved him back, and then he backed off. No, I chased him off. He was good at staying away when I demanded it. I was good at telling him things, and keeping him away. I was also good at realizing who I am.

I ran. I told him if I wasn’t good enough for him, he wasn’t right for me. It was defensive, I think. Maybe. Looking back, I didn’t handle it well. Neither did he. Things are kind of coming together, maybe.

I think as I ponder the timeline, that was probably the beginning of my wild spree, when alcohol and random men became a never-ending parade of events. As I think about it, my happiest times weren’t the past couple of years, they are the times with Eddie. They were times with Marty, my first committed relationship, that were special, though we never clicked like Eddie and me did. Marty was my first love, or crush, or whatever, because it wasn’t like my time with Eddie. Fuckin’ A.

Eddie had been my soul mate. God, that’s depressing.

I met Eddie at a bar, a gay bar downtown, which shall remain nameless. He bought me a drink. I accepted and thanked him. We had a hard time talking with the house music blaring, so the two of us left the dance area and found a table in a corner. We drank that one drink for two hours and talked. Eddie is a nurse at the hospital downtown. He was originally from Chicago, moved here for the job.

I told him about my education, about working as a waiter to pay the bills and how I didn’t know if I wanted to be a researcher or a clinician. He told me about his experience in the healing arts. Eddie is a people person and he loved caring for cancer fighters, that’s what he called them. He said, ‘People say cancer survivors, but you never really get over it. These people fight it their whole lives. When part of your body betrays you, it’s personal. They take life seriously, soberly, savoring each moment.’

God, he is a fucking fighter. And lover.

I’ll never forget our first night. After the bar closed, we walked around downtown together. We ended up at his apartment in an old brownstone on the southern edge of town, and we just kept talking. I told him about my dreams of running a marathon, though it was probably not going to happen due to my asthma. Eddie talked about his music. He wrote country-western songs, as twangy as they come, he joked. I listened to him strum his acoustic guitar and sing. He sang to me. Eddie swooned me with a love song that night, the night that flew by and yet in my memory it simply went on forever.

I don’t even like country music, not really. I cried though when he sang a song about a cowboy who lost his horse to a flooding river. His voice conveyed the horror and the loss the cowboy felt as his most loyal companion was washed away. The music was just right too. It sounded mournful and painful. I don’t know how a person does it. Did it. To me.

Does it. Eddie’s not dead and I’m meeting him in a couple of hours. I don’t even know why I’m doing so. All I can say is I wish this past year would disappear. I would love him, if we tried again. No, I wouldn’t love it, I would never make such a terrible mistake again. I’d cherish him like he deserves. I’d promise and fulfill whatever he needed me too. I’d give up alcohol, other men, my crappy job, my apartment, and my independence for a life with him. Am I simply crazy over him?

As I write this, I realize this is the first time I’ve really taken stock of the situation. Eddie is something I set aside, hid in a closet, and hoped I wouldn’t have to face. Now he wants to talk. What is it about? What if he wants to cut all ties?

Yet, Eddie was at my door minutes after I called him just two days ago. He drove me to the emergency room, sat waiting for me, and then held me afterwards as I cried with relief. Most people don’t realize relief can be as stressful as fear.

This is my one last rant. I had so convinced myself I was going through a bad detox, I’d been resigned to whatever that entailed. When the doctor told me I was fine, the dam burst. All the notions I’d had, the walls I’d built, came crashing down. These emotions surprised me.

Eddie held me and let me unleash. After I got my act together, he kissed my forehead and took me home. He made sure I was okay. Only after all that, he left. I remember he looked back and the love poured from his eyes. Yet, is he the one? Fuck.

It hurts so much, but I have to be honest. I’m not sure it’s Eddie, not anymore. Not after, our night together.

I hope I’m not wrong.

Faithful readers!!! We have two chapters to go in this part of the story. The next section's chapters are longer. We will also be introduced to some old friends of mine. So, thank you for continuing to join me on this story. 'We've only just begun,' as Karen Carpenter used to sing.
Copyright © 2017 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 43
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This is an interesting antidote to the high school angst of the other stories I’ve been reading. Real adult issues. Issues that some of those same characters will be dealing with in the future.  ;-)

 

 

It must be painful for Eddie to see Jake like this. It’s clear that Eddie still cares about him. But it’s not clear just how much he cares…  ;-)

Link to comment

Loved Jakes hard nosed , blatant honesty. His admission that there was a trigger for his actions . 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Jake is finally looking beneath the surface. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy, and with regards to Eddie, maybe Jake was. Often, when we push someone away, we are afraid... for them or us. Was Jake afraid? He said their breakup began his spiral... did he see it as a foregone conclusion because of his mother... his predisposition? I can't wait to hear what Eddie has to say, and where it will leave Jake. Fascinating, Cole. And real. Cheers... Gary....

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

So, a chapter about Eddie but it talks more about Jake. The way I see it, Jake is afraid to meet because he knows Eddie can read him just as well as he can read Eddie. The whole "if you don't think I'm good enough for you, you're not right" is Jake saying he doesn't feel good enough himself. Wall upon wall to protect himself... 

 

‘People say cancer survivors, but you never really get over it.  These people fight it their whole lives.  When part of your body betrays you, it’s personal.  They take life seriously, soberly, savoring each moment.’ 

 

This hit me hard. So true. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/17/2017 at 7:17 PM, droughtquake said:

This is an interesting antidote to the high school angst of the other stories I’ve been reading. Real adult issues. Issues that some of those same characters will be dealing with in the future.  ;-)

 

 

It must be painful for Eddie to see Jake like this. It’s clear that Eddie still cares about him. But it’s not clear just how much he cares…  ;-)

 

I think it was, but by the same token, he seems open to Jake.  Eddie and Jake are a love story that is not often told.  Sometimes one is just too toxic, until he cleans up his act.  I know couples where the relationship came back around after some healing occurred.  

 

Thanks for the insightful comment. :)

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/18/2017 at 12:21 AM, Stephen said:

That is a powerful chapter. Self analysis of the painfully blunt kind. I have been there before a few times and you've conveyed it very well.

It hurts but must be done so that we can move forward. I can only hope Jake's meeting with Eddie goes well.

 

That's so true.  Until we examine our issues and work through them, healing can't occur, not really.  Jake's relieved he's not an addict and so maybe he now sees some hope.  Certainly Eddie seems to have missed him.  I'm glad you found it powerful.  It was a hard entry to write and even harder to edit.  

I appreciate the kind words.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/19/2017 at 10:49 AM, deville said:

Loved Jakes hard nosed , blatant honesty. His admission that there was a trigger for his actions . 

 

He is getting his act together.  Jake is a good guy that lost his way.  You are right his bold introspection seemed to turn the corner.  

 

Thanks for the wonderful review.  :)

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/19/2017 at 7:52 PM, Defiance19 said:

This has to be hard, and you help me feel what Jake is going through, but Jake is lucky. He has a good amount of awareness and can contemplate how his choices affected others around him. In this case it’s Eddie.(I wonder if it will extend to Nat) That awareness will or should, hopefully help him achieve sobriety long term. So far he has taken ownership of his alcoholism. There’s no real blame (yet). 

 

If Eddie is about to lay some hard truths on him now I wonder if Jake will be able to handle what he’ll say. It’s all well and good to know what you’re doing is bad and push someone away before you hurt them. But Jake had alcohol to deaden the feels of all that. Im curious.. 

 

Great chapter Cole. 

 

 

Thanks so much!  I'm glad Jake's internal struggle came through clearly.  This is kind of the first time he's thinking about someone else.  Eddie is the person he's considering and not how Eddie affects him.  There is a new awareness in Jake and I think he's starting to wake up.  There may still be pain, even with awareness.  Let's see if he keeps his sobriety or if he slips from the pain.  

 

I really appreciate the interesting and insightful thoughts.  

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/19/2017 at 8:56 PM, Headstall said:

Jake is finally looking beneath the surface. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy, and with regards to Eddie, maybe Jake was. Often, when we push someone away, we are afraid... for them or us. Was Jake afraid? He said their breakup began his spiral... did he see it as a foregone conclusion because of his mother... his predisposition? I can't wait to hear what Eddie has to say, and where it will leave Jake. Fascinating, Cole. And real. Cheers... Gary....

 

Jake definitely stepped in it with Eddie.  He seemed to have perverse delight in screwing things up.  Now, I like your question about the spiral.  Was his spiral because of Eddie, his mother, his dipsomania taking hold, or was it something within Jake?  Or was it even something else, because we are only reading his point of view here.  Of course, I can assure you he's telling the truth, but is it complete or are there things he's mentioned that seem innocuous?  

 

We will see because there are only two more 'chapters' left in this part of the story.  The next part will be from a different perspective.  I mustn't say more though.  

 

Thanks for some very intriguing ideas.  I think I'll build on your thoughts a little.  

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/21/2017 at 7:05 AM, Puppilull said:

So, a chapter about Eddie but it talks more about Jake. The way I see it, Jake is afraid to meet because he knows Eddie can read him just as well as he can read Eddie. The whole "if you don't think I'm good enough for you, you're not right" is Jake saying he doesn't feel good enough himself. Wall upon wall to protect himself... 

 

‘People say cancer survivors, but you never really get over it.  These people fight it their whole lives.  When part of your body betrays you, it’s personal.  They take life seriously, soberly, savoring each moment.’ 

 

This hit me hard. So true. 

 

Yes!!!  You :see Jake's issue with Eddie.  Perhaps he does know Eddie will call him on any nonsense he tries to pass off.  Is Jake comparing he and Eddie to his mother and father?  Does his parents relationship inform his own or do they color his perception?  The dynamic between Eddie and Jake is interesting to me.  Jake wants him, but he doesn't.  We will see how Eddie feels in a little bit.  Meanwhile, thank you so much of a wonderful interpretation of what I'm doing here.  :)

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

This was a very interesting chapter, Cole. Jake was certainly being philosophical!

 

Why did he push Eddie away? Why did Eddie so easily give Jake the space he needed? Did Eddie even realize Jake had a drinking problem?

 

'It hurts so much, but I have to be honest.  I’m not sure it’s Eddie, not anymore. Not after, our night together. 

I hope I’m not wrong.'

 

I didn't quite understand this. 'I hope I'm not wrong' meaning he doesn't want it to be Eddie? That's how I read it.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

do we ever know anyone or ourselves for that matter?  Is Jake right that Eddie is not longer the one?  Would Eddie ever want to be?  Lots of questions..

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..