Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

So Weeps the Willow - Prologue. Prologue

And so, a new murder mystery is born.

So Weeps the Willow – Prologue

For those reading this for the first time, this may be a bit odd. For others, I give you the next paragraph.

Are you surprised? Jake’s blog was recounting his journey toward sobriety. He was trying to improve his life, and then suddenly, he died. Out of nowhere, he is gone. Most mysteries start with a person’s life and character recounted in retrospect. I’m doing something quite different for a reason.

A person lives their life, does their thing, and unfortunately, someone takes it all from them. I’ve always been bothered by stories that present this is “in the making.” They suggest a victim could have known had they been more aware. However, that’s simply not true in most situations. A victim is usually the last to know. That’s one reason for the blog, the main reason. Another reason for the blog is also important.

The blog is evidence. This makes it some of the best evidence law enforcement and the legal community can find. We live in a world where lawyers, paralegals, and researchers glean the factual information from the Internet postings of plaintiffs, defendants, witnesses, and jurors. Social media gives us a treasure trove of information about the most intimate parts of our personalities and history.

We expose our lives and others can use the information to ‘know’ us. Let’s face it, we all check people out, ask our friends, and try to understand others. That’s not terribly different. We seek information about others in all kinds of settings, even long before any social media venues existed. But, social media sites also affect the world, and that’s my next rationale for using Jake’s blog to get to know him, and to explore the world as we know it today.

This is a mystery, but not a conventional one. Most conventional mysteries start with a death, and then we learn about the victim through the multiple lenses of their loved ones. In the process, these loved ones recount the deceased using a kind of obituary and commentary, reflecting their life events. Yet, in real life, we see people die out of turn, without advanced notice, and it hurts. They are killed and we don’t see what led up to their demise. Death comes and truly interrupts a life being played out.

Technology is changing that. We are now watching people using social media to express themselves. They are on Facebook, Twitter, blogs, Goodreads, and countless sites expressing themselves and talking about their lives. What they say speaks to their everyday events, and sometimes it tells the story of them. The facts are out there. Facts about what is happening are revealed. Yet, we are still struggling to understand how people reveal themselves publicly, and the law pretends it’s still secret… private. And not.

During the course of this story, the reader will find clues and reports, news articles and messages. The blog is one of those pieces of evidence. These are all parts of the case file the detectives, both private and public, have collected during the course of the investigation. Some will be public records. Others are pieces of evidence sought by the competing parties in a lawsuit.

Let’s consider more of what this story is about.

This is a story about families and about how families negotiate their roles. We like to believe families have parts which are organically configured. Moms nurture their children. Dads are protective and provide sustenance to children who need both structure and support. Siblings have interesting and complicated dynamics with one another. These interactions are cohesive because of an idea we call ‘love’, a feeling of affinity which binds these people together. However, not all families know how to deal with the elements. Sometimes, and even more so in recent years, families must figure how to make these affinities work. They need to negotiate the roles that make the group work.

There are two families in this story and they face different issues. One family isn’t really a family, according to ordinary definitions. They are three men who need each other, for different reasons, and they are exploring what each of them should contribute and expect from the others. In spite of their personal issues, they do care for each other. This caring has become the social glue which is otherwise known as a family.

The other family is more conventional. They also face issues, perhaps ones more daunting in the end, but are stressed due to the loss of a loved one. This stress, accompanied by that which exists in the everyday world, becomes prevalent in a few ways. Let’s leave it at that.

I’ve tried to remain true to the form and substance of this evidence. As a paralegal who has seen many such reports, statements, affidavits, and like communications, I’ve only presented the salient parts of these items. Usually police and fire reports contain endless amounts of information, which are not helpful and need to be skimmed over. The same is true of legal depositions and affidavits. Much of the identifying and authenticating information is important, but doesn’t inform the reader of the actual story. I’ve ‘slimmed’ down the file to aid the reader.

Think of this case as a matter subjected to cross-training and Weight Watchers. It’s got all the essential nutrients, yet contains none of the extraneous fat a reader will not need. That’s not all. I want the record to be complete.

I’ve always been a fan of ‘fair’ stories. When I read a work, give me all the necessary elements and let me consider the facts and ideas on my own. I’ve done so here. You will be ‘fairly’ treated and the final conclusions will be a winnowing of the relevant information leading to a conclusion.

That being said, let’s finish my little explanation.

I hope you enjoy this story. I mean it to entertain you. When we tell stories, they must make your skin redden, and your lips curl. I hope to make you ponder, scream, cry, and yowl. However, that’s not all.

There are issues which are even more important to explore. What is family? What are their roles? Are there tendencies which drive our behavior? Why do people expect others to act in a certain way? How does our system of justice behave? In what ways do civil suits and criminal suits bring justice to victims? Who are the victims? Can we say these questions are easily answered, or are there tangled webs within tangled webs?

I hope this tale causes people to wonder and question. Good stories do that. I hope this is one of those.

Please note, there will be snippets from news clippings, official reports, blog posts, and other factual documents scattered throughout the story.
Copyright © 2017 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 1
  • Wow 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Me three. I’m even more invested now. 

Great Cole, this is going to be better than a good story I’m sure! 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I’m horrible at figuring out mysteries.

 

My therapists hate it when I say my role in my family is ‘The Failure’, but I’m the one that didn’t do any of the things the rest of the family did. All of my relatives with the possible exception of my father’s older sisters and brothers-in-law, graduated from college – except me! With the exception of my mother and a couple of my oldest aunts, had careers – I had a series of disposable jobs, mostly in retail. With the exception of one aunt, I am the only one who has never been in a serious, long-term relationship. I’m the one dealing with mental health issues and am on Disability for Depression and Anxiety. And as far as I know, I’m the only one who has been homeless.

 

Having a high IQ has not made me successful in life…  ;-)

Edited by droughtquake
Link to comment

Still thrown, Cole, but I'm sure the rest of our journey will be interesting. I'm sad to see Jake's has ended, though. I'm assuming from this prologue he didn't die from CM poisoning. I guess I'll stick around to find out. Cheers... Gary....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, Headstall said:

I'm assuming from this prologue he didn't die from CM poisoning.

Until otherwise proven, my Prime Suspect is CM!  ;-)

Link to comment
On 10/31/2017 at 5:41 PM, Puppilull said:

Well, you have me hooked for this. I feel really bad for Jake. Seems I had invested in him getting over his addiction. But you are right. Things happen totally unforeseen and then the rest of us live with aftershocks and consequences. As a lawyer, I have pondered the concept of justice once or twice. Not convinced it can be gotten in court, but it's perhaps the closest we can get to it. 

 

Thanks for the thoughtful review.  You had be chuckling with the 'pondered the concept of justice' comment.  There is probably no way to achieve perfect justice, because once something is lost or taken, it can't be restored again without injury.  Such is the case in this story.  I'm hoping Jake's family's tribulations serve as an example of trying to find peace, because I think that's a key part of the equation.  :)  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/31/2017 at 5:54 PM, mfa607 said:

Love a good mystery!  I'm hooked too!

 

So do I.  I'm having a blast with this story.  The concept is something I thought up when I was in my twenties and now the story seems to have come to fruition.  I hope you love it!!  Thanks so much.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/31/2017 at 9:05 PM, Defiance19 said:

Me three. I’m even more invested now. 

Great Cole, this is going to be better than a good story I’m sure! 

 

I'm glad you're excited too.  I hope to put many of the lessons I've learned over the past couple years about writing into this story.  So far, it seems to be working really well.

 

Thanks for being on board!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/31/2017 at 9:30 PM, droughtquake said:

I’m horrible at figuring out mysteries.

 

 

Well, you don't have to figure it out.  i hope you just enjoy the ride.  This will be more of a novel with a mystery inside than a whodunit.  

 

I hope to intrigue and entertain you.  Thanks for reading and thanks for being you.  I enjoy you very much.  :)

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 11/1/2017 at 12:17 AM, Headstall said:

Still thrown, Cole, but I'm sure the rest of our journey will be interesting. I'm sad to see Jake's has ended, though. I'm assuming from this prologue he didn't die from CM poisoning. I guess I'll stick around to find out. Cheers... Gary....

 

We'll see what killed him and what the situation is.  At this point, the media is reporting it as an accident.  I hate to say too much, but I hope you enjoy the ride!  It will be bumpy and have interesting sights.  ;)  That's all I'll say!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/1/2017 at 12:35 AM, droughtquake said:

Until otherwise proven, my Prime Suspect is CM!  ;-)

 

We will see!  ;)  I'm a crafty one.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Well, last night I finally caught up with all the chapters. I did read the last section of this part of the story before I read this. I will tell you---since I haven't commented on that chapter yet---I kept reading the first half of the chapter over and over and over again. My mind was like, "Wait, what just happened? What do you mean Jake's dead????? What's going on here? I thought this story was about him?" I continued to feel as if I were in an episode of The Twilight Zone. :lol: I will go back after this and comment on that very sad chapter.

 

So, I have a question for you, Cole:  Since you're a paralegal, and you mentioned 'slimming down the file', I'm assuming this story is based on true events? Well, it doesn't sound much like a question, but just read it like a question.  :P

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I rarely invest time in reading multi-chaptered stories, but this one is intriguing. And that's good in my book.  :)

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 11/16/2017 at 9:07 PM, Lisa said:

Well, last night I finally caught up with all the chapters. I did read the last section of this part of the story before I read this. I will tell you---since I haven't commented on that chapter yet---I kept reading the first half of the chapter over and over and over again. My mind was like, "Wait, what just happened? What do you mean Jake's dead????? What's going on here? I thought this story was about him?" I continued to feel as if I were in an episode of The Twilight Zone. :lol: I will go back after this and comment on that very sad chapter.

 

So, I have a question for you, Cole:  Since you're a paralegal, and you mentioned 'slimming down the file', I'm assuming this story is based on true events? Well, it doesn't sound much like a question, but just read it like a question.  :P

 

 

 

Hmmm! It is based on my experiences.  The story unfolding is about what these characters would have faced.  It’s a good question, and I think it requires more reading.  😘 there is a case with a person who died, and it spurred a case.  It was suspect. Keep reading. 

 

Not everything is cut and dried 😎 Thanks! 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 2/13/2018 at 2:08 AM, northie said:

I rarely invest time in reading multi-chaptered stories, but this one is intriguing. And that's good in my book.  :)

 

Yeah! Thank you. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I will have to admit, I am intrigued. This seems like a different type of story for GA, and I will have to admit to becoming somewhat bored with the common theme of a confused young man finding sex and love after being thrown out on the street by a non-understanding family. We will just have to see where you lead us, Cole. But at the beginning, I am here!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
15 hours ago, Will Hawkins said:

I will have to admit, I am intrigued. This seems like a different type of story for GA, and I will have to admit to becoming somewhat bored with the common theme of a confused young man finding sex and love after being thrown out on the street by a non-understanding family. We will just have to see where you lead us, Cole. But at the beginning, I am here!

 

Thanks Will. This is a novel and mystery.  I think you’re seeing it’s different.  I hope you enjoy! 😘

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..