Jump to content
    ColumbusGuy
  • Author
  • 2,651 Words
  • 6,916 Views
  • 25 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Jay & Miles - 6. Date Night

em>Note: this is an emotional chapter, brace yourself.
Please--visit the Trevor Project website to talk with someone any time day or night if you are even thinking about suicide...Don't let them win by giving up! There are people who care!

 

POV: Mikey, Mikey

 

“Why do I even bother?” I muttered to myself as I stared into the bathroom mirror over the sink. I wiped steamy condensation from the large glass to reveal my damp hair; if I cut it too short, it accentuated my glasses even more, and if it’s longer, then the waviness and the cowlick are even worse. I give up—once it’s dry it won’t lay flat anyway. My eyes were brown, with just the faintest touch of green, and my complection was pretty clear, which only made my stubble more obvious. I hate having to shave every other day!

I dropped the towel into the hamper, and walked the short distance down the hall to my room wearing only my red briefs—no one was home, as usual this time of day—so I had nothing to fear. I took in my room’s autumn gold walls and gold curtains on the front and side windows before pulling white socks from my dresser. I liked the room before it was painted better, but it had been more than ten years since it was last done—my oldest sister had painted huge peacocks on the wall’s burnt orange background—it took four coats of paint to finally obscure them!

My parens’ room was next door on the back side of the ranch, then a smaller bedroom with the single bath opposite before you got to the front door next to the combined living/dining room which ran the depth of the house. The kitchen was next in front, with the utility room and another bedroom behind which opened off the living room. A tan brick fireplace wall separated the kitchen end of the house from the main areas, and provided a nice ambience in winter. Off the utility room was a half-bath and the door opening into the garage where my car was currently kept. The original house ended there, but my father had built on a second garage for his tools and our yard equipment.

None of that mattered as I opened my closet door and stepped into the long, narrow space, two short rods front-to-back on either side of the door with a shelf above. In spite of the space, my selection was limited; tees and socks and underwear were in the dresser, as were sweaters...one side of the closet was mostly empty except for a couple coats and one dark-blue dress suit, the other side held most of my pants and shirts. Way in back, behind the coats, were a few pairs of bell-bottom jeans and a couple brightly colored polyester shirts I’d worn in middle-school—the high-heeled platform shoes I had thankfully outgrown and thrown away years ago.

Jay said it doesn’t matter what you wear—but it does! Since it was a little chillier this April day than it had been, I wore a cream-colored sweater to school with tan twill slacks...he couldn’t see me in those again! I couldn’t wear black at home because my long-haired tuxedo cat had a mad ability to shed at will on her selected target. Jeans? As far as I knew, we were eating in—but I wanted to show him that I put a bit more effort into this than just a usual school day. I pulled out a pair of off-white chinos and hunted for a shirt; button or sweatshirt, long- or short-sleeved? I held up a shirt to match the pants but put it back after a quick glance in the mirror on the inside of the door—you look like an ice-cream salesman!

I heard the clock in the living room strike four, and cursed—he’ll be here in a half-hour—unless he’s early! He wouldn’t do that, would he?! I knew I was going to wear my oxblood penny-loafers, so maybe a shirt to match those? After sliding metal hangers back and forth on the rods another five minutes, I pulled out a short-sleeved red shirt with white buttons—it was only slightly lighter than my briefs—not that anyone would be seeing them. I threaded my leather belt through the loops at my waist, and fastened the steel buckle as I stepped into my loafers. A thin silver chain around my neck, and my metal-strapped digital watch completed my outfit.

As I passed the bathroom, I swigged a little more mouthwash and put on a little more Old Spice, acutely aware that my palms were already sweating. Four-twenty-five...according to the glowing red numbers on the black screen of my watch. I wound my way past the dining room table to look out the front windows toward the road. Each was composed of two large panes sliding side by side in their aluminum frames. Their pink-marble sills were chilly even in summer, but in my room in winter, ice built up and had to be covered with folded towels to collect the melt water. The gravel drive approached the main garage directly before curving east to continue back out to the one-lane road. I watched as the sun struggled to come out, finally managing the task as it floated to the west. The eight maple trees in the yard were just beginning to bud out, but the forsythia planted along the front of the house was already yellow with tiny flowers.

A soft sound behind me made me turn; my largish black and white long-haired cat was staring at me out of pale yellow-green eyes. She walked across the table to stand at my elbow, her tail curling up into the air like a question-mark. I reached out slowly to let her sniff me before trying to pet her, and she butted my hand with a chirp. I let out a sigh of relief—maybe she would be nice to Jay and let him leave the house in one piece! This wasn’t always the case—I remembered vividly the insurance lady who had been ambushed as she walked past the table into the living room—not knowing we even had a cat, let alone an attack one. I used my softest, most pleading voice: “Please don’t kill him, Fifty-eight! He’s one of my only friends!”

When I turned back to her after looking out at the road again, she was gone….

**********

As the seconds crawled by, I thought back to the past twenty-four hours; finding out that Greg Newton was Kurt had been less scary than I thought—he was naturally quiet, and no one considered that odd—so he was safe with my secret, since he shared the same one. When he called me after school as we’d planned, I wasn’t sure what to expect—more phone sex, or just idle chat. I hoped for the former, but got the latter: his little sister was home so he had no privacy—but he did whisper a few suggestive remarks to me, which were enough to fuel a fantasy session after we hung up. His main reason for wanting to talk was to ask if I would draw a picture for him—he’d seen the green dragon I painted on the art room window last year, and wanted one for himself! When I expressed shock that Ms. Skopik had left it there, he said she refused to remove it. I agreed to do it for him, and he said he’d make it worth my while—I hoped that meant what I thought it did.

I hadn’t seen Jay at lunch today, and frankly, I was a little worried. Was he sick? There weren’t many people I could ask, but one of his 4-H friends said he’d been there first period. Kurt had saved me a carton of chocolate milk as I picked my way through the lunch line—sloppy joes—another decent meal. I was feeling a bit down until Kurt sat across from me for a bit to eat his own lunch before getting back to work—it still surprised me that he was talking—but I found that I could relax with him and let my guard down a bit.

With my usual caution, I looked around before asking him the question that had been burning in my mind since we’d had The Call. “Kurt...why me? Am I doing something to give myself away?” The thought of that had me worried, so I needed to find out what caused him to pick me.

He gave me a reassuring smile before he answered quietly: “Don’t worry about that, Miles—you...we’re fine! Kids our age are supposed to be moody and withdrawn,” he gave me what I was fast becoming aware of as his ‘signature’ snicker. “I heard there’s a sorta sixth sense which I can use to spot others like us…all I know is that I watch other people, and if I notice certain things, there’s a chance I’m right.”

“What things...help me out here, Kurt!” I hated the note of pleading in my voice—almost like a whine—but if I could spot others like myself, maybe I wouldn’t feel so—vulnerable. For the moment, I hadn’t considered that I now knew two others like myself—which was two more than I had a couple days ago.

Kurt thought for a few moments before replying. “It’s nothing specific, Miles—you have to add in what you know about the person and figure how that affects their actions toward others. You—are pretty quiet so that’s no help—but when you talk to people, you tend to be friendlier to guys than girls—and when you look around at people, I think you look just a bit longer at guys. None of that is noticeable to normal people since you are pretty reserved—if I hadn’t been doing the same things, I wouldn’t have noticed.”

The auburn-haired boy took a few bites of his own lunch before going on. “Body language is a big part too...whether a person stands a bit closer to guys than girls in talking, does he touch a bit more—or at least let it last a second too long when he does...it varies from person to person—but I’m afraid you won’t be able to use the most important bit….” I looked more intently at him when he stopped, and my face fell as I slumped back into my chair.

“Oh—that—again!” All my life, it seemed my vision had limited or even denied me doing certain things—unless someone was very close, I missed a lot of fine details, such as the moods reflected in a person’s eyes. I knew-as I was constantly reminded—that I was fortunate to still have my sight at all despite my optometrist’s childhood predictions—so why had I expected my capacity to find a boyfriend to be any different?

I pushed my tray aside, no longer interested in the remains of my vegetables or dessert. Kurt patted my arm for a moment, and I managed to summon up a wan smile. “Who’s Dave, Kurt? Are there many others that you’ve spotted?” I could think of four ‘Daves’ right off the top of my head. Not to mention five Jeffs, eight Joes...but only one Miles.

Kurt gave a small shake of his head and actually smirked at me! “Not telling—not unless he says I can—just like I won’t mention you to anyone else. And, yes...I’ve got confirmed sightings of five other boys in our ‘clan’!” He started to stand, and added just before turning away “I’ve also got two more suspects to watch a bit longer.”

As he went off, collecting a few trays after dumping his own, I couldn’t help but wonder if he included me in those five—or if Jay was one of the ‘suspects’. If he meant the ‘clan’ was me and him, then there could be as many as eleven of us in school—if the possibles turned out to be true! How in God’s name did I miss seeing any of them?

For the rest of the day I kept an eye open for Jay, but with no luck...and he didn’t show up for art class either!

*********

Four-forty...four-fifty. Jay was late. He didn’t call. When he was five minutes late, I sat down at the table where I could still see out the window. At ten minutes, I went to the wall-phone in the kitchen, and picked the receiver up for just a second—there was a dial tone—so he just hadn’t tried to call. When the ten minutes stretched to twenty and there was still no sign, I began to pace—why was he late? Was there an accident?—or was it simpler than that: he just didn’t want to come? Jay was avoiding me—I had obviously done something wrong...I just wish I knew what it was!

At five ‘til, the anxious butterflies which had been banging around in my stomach were still—they had been crushed by a leaden weight of black despair. My eyes were gritty and sore as I sat on the edge of my bed—I rubbed absently at them and found the back of my hand to be wet—when had I started crying?

A soft mewing made its way to my brain, and I looked to the side and saw Fifty-eight rubbing against my arm. Stupid name for a cat—but she was a present from my niece, who chose that since it was the kitten’s cage number at the pound—unfortunately, she proved to be allergic to cats. I picked her up and cradled her for a while, my cheek rubbing on her forehead as I continued to cry. I walked into the kitchen to feed her, changed her water, and looked vacantly at the door to the garage….”You love me, at least—but it’s not enough anymore….”

The notepad by the phone was next to the hook where my car keys hung, and I stared at it for a minute, blinking tears away enough to write two words:

I’m sorry

Five-thirty. The phone rang as I walked out the door. Should I answer it? It didn’t matter anymore—nothing did. I can’t even keep a friend, much less a boyfriend.

I unlocked the door of my car, and sat there for a few seconds, not really seeing anything, but my hand reached over to the glove-box, feeling for the bottle of sleeping pills there. For the last time, I poured them into my hand: only ten? I thought there were more? I didn’t know if that was enough—then I stared at the keys I had put in the ignition switch on the steering column. That’s painless too.

Climbing out of my Pontiac’s seat, I checked the doors to the house, the back yard and the second garage—all were shut. I walked to the overhead door and looked out at the driveway...it was still empty, and it had started to drizzle again. I gave a tug on the rope to pull the wooden door down in its metal track, and got back into my car, leaving the driver’s door open as I started the engine. The grey fabric seat was very comfortable...it would have been nice to share it with Jay, leaning together at the drive-in…

My foot depressed the accelerator slowly, revving the V-8 engine up to a full-throated roar. She was a tank, but she could move with the right person at the wheel. That wouldn’t be me. As the acrid fumes of burning gasoline began to fill the garage, I lay my head back on the seat and closed my eyes. Were there tears as I thought of Jay? Probably.

Somewhere, somehow it had all gone wrong.

Some dreams just weren’t meant to be…

strong>Please--visit the Trevor Project website to talk with someone any time day or night if you are even thinking about suicide...Don't let them win by giving up! There are people who care!
Based on Prompt 360.
"Why do I even bother?"
Copyright © 2017 ColumbusGuy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 10/14/2014 04:04 AM, aditus said:
Jesus! Is that it? I'm extremely shocked.
Nope, not it at all...plenty more to come!

Going to try to get the next post up tonight some time.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

How horrible :o Poor Miles, he´s very insecure and lonely, and feeling disappointed. But he should have answered the phone, it might have been Jay telling why he is so late. Hopefully someone comes there soon and rescues him.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 10/15/2014 08:23 PM, Suvitar said:
How horrible :o Poor Miles, he´s very insecure and lonely, and feeling disappointed. But he should have answered the phone, it might have been Jay telling why he is so late. Hopefully someone comes there soon and rescues him.
All is not lost--the next chapter will be up sometime Wednesday! We don't quite know why he is so vulnerable, but I'd wager his vision problems play a big part in that. He is honest, caring and intelligent--just the right mix to be really hurt by others actions whether they are intentionally malicious or not.
  • Like 3
Link to comment

Once he passes out from the fumes, his foot should slip from the pedal. Hopefully the car will stall and the engine switch off. Although I don't know what a Pontiac is like.

The other possibility is he'll start coughing and run out of the garage. Either way I have faith Miles will survive to feel somewhat stupid about doing this. Poor boy :(

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 10/16/2014 03:57 AM, Timothy M. said:
Once he passes out from the fumes, his foot should slip from the pedal. Hopefully the car will stall and the engine switch off. Although I don't know what a Pontiac is like.

The other possibility is he'll start coughing and run out of the garage. Either way I have faith Miles will survive to feel somewhat stupid about doing this. Poor boy :(

Mid-50s cars had no safety features. This is long before breakable dashboards--she had a dark grey metal monster with loads of chrome and a massive steering wheel--in a wreck, the other car might do some damage, but you had an equal risk of your own car doing you in.

 

While the first scenario is most likely due to automatic processes, there is a third option for rescue.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Whoo! Jumping to conclusions personified.

Old Spice and mouthwash for teenagers?? I remember 'Brilliantine' but not those two.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 10/25/2014 09:21 PM, Palantir said:
Whoo! Jumping to conclusions personified.

Old Spice and mouthwash for teenagers?? I remember 'Brilliantine' but not those two.

Miles' self-esteem is pretty fragile as we'll find out. For a boy trying to figure things out, it doesn't take much to tip you one way or the other.

Actually, I loved Old Spice then, and still do now--just read an article on old aftershaves, and that was one in it. I began using what my dad used..except for the Brylcreem. Closest I ever got to something like that was a one-time purchase of 'Dippity-Do' an early styling gel-blue-green and bubbly.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I really don't understand not answering the phone. His entire focus was on his date with Jay so when he didn't show, a phone call would be expected. I am thinking that Jay will rescue him from his intended demise...at least I hope so. Miles is way more fragile than I thought. His hope for more phone sex with Greg has left me a little unsure about what he actually feels for Jay. It doesn't really jive with his drastic actions here so I am confused but intrigued as to where this is going. Does he even know what he wants? Cheers...Gary

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 10/29/2014 02:32 PM, Headstall said:
I really don't understand not answering the phone. His entire focus was on his date with Jay so when he didn't show, a phone call would be expected. I am thinking that Jay will rescue him from his intended demise...at least I hope so. Miles is way more fragile than I thought. His hope for more phone sex with Greg has left me a little unsure about what he actually feels for Jay. It doesn't really jive with his drastic actions here so I am confused but intrigued as to where this is going. Does he even know what he wants? Cheers...Gary
So much of what Miles does and thinks is driven by his lack of self-worth--while we don't know the roots of it since he doesn't mention actual abuse--he has been so 'down' on himself that he can't really grasp that Jay could be really there for him...so he ignored the phone.

Greg could simply represent the need for physical release...while Jay is the elusive dream to be wished for buy unlikely in reality.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Wow, I remember Old Spice commercials on TV back in the 70's, so it was around, but not at all cool for teens to use – only old guys, lol.

 

The paragraph of description of the cat was amazingly vivid. The question mark tail, the letting her sniff you, and then the head butt against the hand, all remarkably visual for anyone who's ever spent time with a feline nearby. I loved that.

 

As for why Miles would want to kill himself – after he has discovered community via Kurt/Greg and the fact that so many boys they know are Gay too, AND doing it aware that Jay is late, but ignoring the ringing phone – is really hard to swallow. You'd have to go back to the previous prompts and write in more depression and a broader, more hopeless attitude than you have given Miles. So far, you have shown him as engaged and lively, and people going through clinical depression are tuned out and despondent.

 

Well, none of that really matters, because I can see there are more chapters to the "Jay and Miles" story, so I know he survived. Maybe we will find out more about the real motivations for this attempt in upcoming installments.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 10/29/2014 06:11 PM, AC Benus said:
Wow, I remember Old Spice commercials on TV back in the 70's, so it was around, but not at all cool for teens to use – only old guys, lol.

 

The paragraph of description of the cat was amazingly vivid. The question mark tail, the letting her sniff you, and then the head butt against the hand, all remarkably visual for anyone who's ever spent time with a feline nearby. I loved that.

 

As for why Miles would want to kill himself – after he has discovered community via Kurt/Greg and the fact that so many boys they know are Gay too, AND doing it aware that Jay is late, but ignoring the ringing phone – is really hard to swallow. You'd have to go back to the previous prompts and write in more depression and a broader, more hopeless attitude than you have given Miles. So far, you have shown him as engaged and lively, and people going through clinical depression are tuned out and despondent.

 

Well, none of that really matters, because I can see there are more chapters to the "Jay and Miles" story, so I know he survived. Maybe we will find out more about the real motivations for this attempt in upcoming installments.

Not sure it's clinical depression, but a lonely teen's angst over losing his major friend is pretty strong stuff to deal with on top of being insecure.

It was Old Spice my dad used, or Avon, which my aunt sold--I opted for something slightly less flowery. :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Why didn't he answer the phone? The suicide attempt shocked me. Miles is in a much worse place than I thought. I know he's upset about Jay not showing up - but does he actually think that even if Jay showed up that his phone sex relationship could or should continue? He planned to have phone sex on the same day as his date with Jay? From what Kurt/Greg said at lunch - he is having phone sex with more than Miles so he's not looking for a relationship. I know there are more chapters so this isn't the end of Miles - but who will find him and what will be the fallout? A tough chapter.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 04/06/2015 05:18 AM, EagleIsaac said:
Why didn't he answer the phone? The suicide attempt shocked me. Miles is in a much worse place than I thought. I know he's upset about Jay not showing up - but does he actually think that even if Jay showed up that his phone sex relationship could or should continue? He planned to have phone sex on the same day as his date with Jay? From what Kurt/Greg said at lunch - he is having phone sex with more than Miles so he's not looking for a relationship. I know there are more chapters so this isn't the end of Miles - but who will find him and what will be the fallout? A tough chapter.
We have to remember that Miles has no real friends he can rely on, so the possibility that he lost the only one he could have was devastating...in his mind, Jay was gone, so what else mattered? Hang in there, Eagle.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I can understand about Miles missing signals. Poor eyesight also nixes sneaky side glances, and most importantly, who wears glasses while taking a shower? At least that eliminates any chances of 'unwanted expansion.' lol

It's difficult to fathom why Miles didn't stop to answer the phone after waiting so long for Jay to come or call. That would have been my first thought of who would be calling. Of course by then he had written his note and perhaps that was the point of no return for him. It is a terrible tragedy for any young person to feel so despondent that they have nothing to live for. I think that a link to the Trevor Project in the author notes would be a real help here. We still don't know a good bit about Miles and his past history. Perhaps there are significant issues there to trigger such a sudden decision with the addition of Jay not showing up. I can't help but think of actor Sawyer Sweeten's suicide only days ago. It isn't really important that he was well known; he is just one of many who failed to reach out for help. Suicide is the third leading cause of death for 15 - 24 year olds and that is a sobering statistic.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 04/27/2015 01:21 AM, drpaladin said:
I can understand about Miles missing signals. Poor eyesight also nixes sneaky side glances, and most importantly, who wears glasses while taking a shower? At least that eliminates any chances of 'unwanted expansion.' lol

It's difficult to fathom why Miles didn't stop to answer the phone after waiting so long for Jay to come or call. That would have been my first thought of who would be calling. Of course by then he had written his note and perhaps that was the point of no return for him. It is a terrible tragedy for any young person to feel so despondent that they have nothing to live for. I think that a link to the Trevor Project in the author notes would be a real help here. We still don't know a good bit about Miles and his past history. Perhaps there are significant issues there to trigger such a sudden decision with the addition of Jay not showing up. I can't help but think of actor Sawyer Sweeten's suicide only days ago. It isn't really important that he was well known; he is just one of many who failed to reach out for help. Suicide is the third leading cause of death for 15 - 24 year olds and that is a sobering statistic.

Drp, you are amazing--it never occurred to me to link to the Trevor Project; I'd heard of it at a site or two elsewhere I read, but didn't connect the dots which would make a big impact on this chapter.

Miles' past is integral to this bit, but so far all we know is he has almost no friends, so to lose one of them for no reason he can understand is a huge blow. It may sound frivolous when he says his cat's love isn't enough anymore--but how many people's best friend is a pet when they don't have deep connections with other people?

Also, remember the pills--is this really a sudden decision for him?

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Suicide: A permanent solution to a temporary problem... Yet I think most people have at least thought about suicide. While I admit that I have thought about suicide more often than once, my thought is, I believe that we all have a set time to die. If it's not your time, you will not be successful, and that will make you more depressed. And if it is your time, you don't need to commit suicide, God will provide the means... Of course, most people who do attempt suicide are not thinking rationally at that time. That's my thought and if you think differently, that's your choice.
Now to the story... Very good description of the house, very well written, I feel almost as I if I am looking through Miles eyes. I even have a cowlick to deal with, well, actually two and they fight each other about which direction my hair should go. For me, longer hair is necessary to deal with them... But I can feel Miles' plight...

Link to comment
On 07/02/2015 07:06 PM, Zarek said:

Suicide: A permanent solution to a temporary problem... Yet I think most people have at least thought about suicide. While I admit that I have thought about suicide more often than once, my thought is, I believe that we all have a set time to die. If it's not your time, you will not be successful, and that will make you more depressed. And if it is your time, you don't need to commit suicide, God will provide the means... Of course, most people who do attempt suicide are not thinking rationally at that time. That's my thought and if you think differently, that's your choice.

Now to the story... Very good description of the house, very well written, I feel almost as I if I am looking through Miles eyes. I even have a cowlick to deal with, well, actually two and they fight each other about which direction my hair should go. For me, longer hair is necessary to deal with them... But I can feel Miles' plight...

You hit the nail on the head, Zarek, Miles wasn't thinking rationally that evening...so I'd say he ignored the phone as just another disappointment to be avoided.

Having had a small taste of what a real friend could be, when Jay didn't show up, he just couldn't cope anymore.

Bear in mind, these things tend to have more than one cause.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Don't do it! I figure you won't, or the story would be over. But - nothing pains me more than a young person thinking about ending their life. That is never a solution to anything.
Guess I'd better go for the next chapter so I can sleep tonight!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 09/08/2016 12:42 PM, Geron Kees said:

Don't do it! I figure you won't, or the story would be over. But - nothing pains me more than a young person thinking about ending their life. That is never a solution to anything.

Guess I'd better go for the next chapter so I can sleep tonight!

Fear not, Geron. Unless this story takes a weird spiritualist tone, we won't lose anyone. Most teens think about it once or twice, as did I, but obviously I didn't do it, despite the odds stacked against me. Having vision problems needing thick glasses back then was a death sentence socially, and being shy didn't help. I could have been angry at my doctors when I was born, but I didn't have a50% chance to live, and they got me through, so what could I do to fight that? Two months premature in '58 was risky at best and all I ended up with was damaged optic nerves...

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Miles is so caught up in the moment that he doesn't understand the strengths he has that plenty of boys his age don't. He actually made a date with another boy and intended to keep it - he's pursuing a gay romance. He talked to a stranger sex caller and had phone sex with him, then figured out who it was and got friendly with him in school. Most curious boys would not even go that far. So he is trying to do something about his life and trying to get to know others like him. Suicide is usually the result of pathological problems. He's lonely, depressed, it's all been piling up for some time now, and it's hard to get beyond that to see the progress he is making. Today there are good meds to get you out of this kind of a funk, but first you have to admit to yourself that's what's wrong.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 4/9/2017 at 7:37 PM, sanmariano said:

Miles is so caught up in the moment that he doesn't understand the strengths he has that plenty of boys his age don't. He actually made a date with another boy and intended to keep it - he's pursuing a gay romance. He talked to a stranger sex caller and had phone sex with him, then figured out who it was and got friendly with him in school. Most curious boys would not even go that far. So he is trying to do something about his life and trying to get to know others like him. Suicide is usually the result of pathological problems. He's lonely, depressed, it's all been piling up for some time now, and it's hard to get beyond that to see the progress he is making. Today there are good meds to get you out of this kind of a funk, but first you have to admit to yourself that's what's wrong.

Miles has lived in the 'forest' of his mind for so long that the few shafts of sunlight he can see don't do much to dispel the gloom...it's going to take more for him to realize what he's going to find in Jay.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Well that started out so well with Miles nervously getting ready for his big date. hehe I could easily picture him going through his entire wardrobe trying to decide just the right thing to wear.loved the little interaction with the cat, I should say the killer cat haha, and the name 58, purrfect, I'm glad you explained the name later, had me wondering. 

Anyway, down to business. I'm also guessing Miles will be ok since theres loads more chapters to come. However, my heart bleeds tears, poor Miles. I see some of myself in him so I feel some of his pain. Unfortunately I can see why he went there and it's really sad. Anyway don't want to dwell on this because I know it will work out. A burst of love and positive energy to all the Miles' in the world. :heart:

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 2/5/2020 at 5:46 AM, Goodie said:

Well that started out so well with Miles nervously getting ready for his big date. hehe I could easily picture him going through his entire wardrobe trying to decide just the right thing to wear.loved the little interaction with the cat, I should say the killer cat haha, and the name 58, purrfect, I'm glad you explained the name later, had me wondering. 

Anyway, down to business. I'm also guessing Miles will be ok since theres loads more chapters to come. However, my heart bleeds tears, poor Miles. I see some of myself in him so I feel some of his pain. Unfortunately I can see why he went there and it's really sad. Anyway don't want to dwell on this because I know it will work out. A burst of love and positive energy to all the Miles' in the world. :heart:

So many real emotions from my inner self here, but even in later life, I never got to the point of this fictional route.  I'm not sure what kept me going, fear of the potential pain, some drive to go on?  Perhaps it was the pain it would cause friends or family?
Later on, another goal of this story will be to give a better life to one who meant the world to me....

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..