Jump to content
    ColumbusGuy
  • Author
  • 2,350 Words
  • 12,351 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Jay & Miles - 9. Saturday Morning

Prepping for Mikey...

POV: Dirck, Jay

 

“Can I talk to you?” Rosalie’s voice was low so it wouldn’t be heard upstairs, but loud enough that I could hear it over the local news—we both liked to stay up for the national news, then watch the first part of Johnny Carson. By the flickering light of the screen, I could see her brows slightly wrinkled in thought. I picked up the remote and turned the volume down a couple clicks before turning back to her.

This early in the Spring, there wasn’t much work to do beyond milking and stall-work; the winter clover crop had been sown in some of the fields, while others had been allowed to grow grass for pasture for a season or two’s rest. This meant a slightly longer sleep for us, since the kids did the milking and egg-gathering before school. We had our routine down years ago, so I knew Rosalie wasn’t worried about the farm at all...it had to be one of the kids. “Two or Three?” I asked, pulling her into my side on the sofa.

“They have names, Dirck!” she gave a chuckle then, “Not that they ever use them!” My snort brushed the blonde hair from her ear and she laughed. I didn’t understand our children sometimes; we gave them good family names—but I guess it was more important for them to fit in with their friends—I only hoped that would change when they got older. We had been born here just a few years after our parents emigrated from the German town of Eddelak near the Danish border. That was during the rioting and civil unrest caused when the Kaiser fell at the end of the First World War. Our families had been neighbors for a long time, and decided to continue that tradition in America.

Fint,” I huffed. “It’s Jay isn’t it?” I loved all three of my children, but our youngest held so much of his mother in him—the same eyes, the even-tempered attitude and friendly disposition—he would always think of others before himself. Linda—as she insisted on calling herself, couldn’t have been more different; if it didn’t concern her friends or her own life, then she wasn’t interested, never deliberately cruel, but lacking the concern for others our two sons had inherited. That was why Jerry was serving in the Coast Guard, so he could help those in trouble on the ocean. After two years, it looked like his career of choice.

“Only partially, skat. Lene’s bothering me with the way she treats people...especially Jay.” I rubbed her hand gently with my thumb in an attempt to soothe her worries. Since our daughter entered middle school, she had immediately sought out the popular crowd, and adopted some of their attitudes; we didn’t like it, but her grades were above average, and she was usually respectful, so there wasn’t much we could do since she would start college in the Fall. Maybe the new scenery would change her. “She was actually mean when she told him to call his boyfriend.

“I’ll speak to her about it again tomorrow,” I sighed. “It’s going to be hard enough for him without his sister’s giving him trouble.” Teasing, I could understand and not worry about too much, but respect was another matter—I wouldn’t allow Lene to treat anyone that way. The fact that Jay would often just let it pass in an attempt to keep the peace was probably seen as weakness by his sister. I knew better, having seen it in my wife’s personality on a daily basis.

Johnny’s monologue was funny, but the guests tonight I could do without. When he didn’t do his Floyd R. Turbo editorial or Art Fern movie host sketch, we decided to head upstairs to bed. We looked in on each of our kids as we usually did: Linda was under her blankets, a book lying beside her, Jay was sprawled all over, covers half-off, his face split with a huge smile which I preferred to the worry he’d shown earlier in the evening before he ran off to visit his friend Miles.

“Dirck...that wasn’t one of his shirts.” I looked at Rosalie with a mouth full of toothpaste, “You sure?” I finally managed to get out. She nodded. “Definitely. And his belt wasn’t in his trousers.”

I pondered that as I rinsed, heading for the bed. “So I should talk to him tomorrow too?”

Nej. I know how much you hate having to scold them. If it gets to be a problem, then we’ll both talk to him. Nat, søde.

* * * * * * * * * *

It was Saturday! was my first thought when my eyes opened—that always was good since it meant no school, but today it was even better! I was going to be with Mikey almost all day! I whistled as I pulled on my jeans and sneakers...hurrying downstairs to get my chores done before breakfast so that I could leave as soon as possible! Why did I tell him 12:30? That was hours from now!

...Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh...by the time I got out the door, I was practically running and pulling on my jean-jacket—I know Mom stared at me as I dashed through the kitchen, but I just waved. People to do, things to see, to misquote an old saying!

...Sleepless hours and dreamless nights and far aways...Okay, maybe I shouldn’t sing—but I was too happy to keep it inside; at least I managed it quietly. Chicago was one of my favorite groups.

   As I entered the barn, I had slowed—there was no point in scaring the cows because I was in a hurry—nervous cows were hard to milk!   gallery_19469_1365_1718.jpgWith only five cows, Dad didn’t see the point of a milking machine, so I grabbed the zinc bucket and stool and settled in, blowing on my hands to warm them for the task at hand.  Like it always did, milking started to get me hard—it was stupid, but it happened nearly every time I squeezed and pulled on the cows’ teats.  I wonder if Mikey would like this….  

It took several trips between the cow-stalls and the stainless storage tank, but it was done at last—But I’ve got my job to do...and I do it well….The holsteins pretty much followed me out the rear door into the fenced pasture, knowing the way to their favorite grazing spots. When I poured a mix of grains into their feeder, they gathered around blinking at me with sad brown eyes...nothing new there. I patted each one on the side and flank, and watched as our new calf suckled at his mother’s breakfast bar.

...Pay the price, make a sacrifice...and still I’ll try….The cow stalls were quickly cleaned, and I opened the door so Gulliver could join the cattle; I’d exercise him later—maybe get Mikey to help me with that!  Since Dad changed his stall yesterday, I only had to muck it out rather than do a full clean; I put some hay out for him to munch and rubbed his soft nose as I sang into his ear.  Of course, he looked at me like I was an idiot.  gallery_19469_1365_6406.jpg

Back in the kitchen after taking off my jacket and sneakers, I washed my hands at the sink and sat down opposite Her, and smiled my best at our parents. Over fried eggs, bacon and toast we were quizzed about our plans for the day, Linda going on and on about spending time at her friend Debbie’s house...apparently she didn’t get enough of her at school during the week, it had to be on Saturdays too.

“Will you please stop humming that song—it’s driving me crazy!” I hadn’t realized I was still doing it, and for one second, I thought about doing it even louder—but not in front of Mom or Dad. “Sorry, sis.” I ate another slice of toast with apple-butter, and shoveled in another fork-full of eggs before I turned my attention to Mom.

Mor…” she liked it when I spoke Danish, so I tended to save it for something important—“Må min ven komme på besøg? Mikey?” I tried not to look nervous, but I should have asked last night to have him over, only I was too happy to remember. I was so screwed if she said ‘no’. Linda glared daggers at me, but I ignored her, watching as Mom looked to Dad, and I wondered why it was taking them so long; eventually, after some long glances and a smile, Dad nodded. “After chores are done.”

Linda rolled her eyes at me as I told them I might show him how to ride, and she mumbled “Maybe he’ll break his neck,” under her breath. Unfortunately, Dad heard her. She paled as he stood and pointed in the direction of the living room: “Lene Marit Beckel—gå ind i stuen nu!

Dad never really raised his voice when he was angry—but he was louder than normal and very disapproving and chastising in his tone. Jerry said that Dad had hit him only once—when he’d been mad about something and told Dad to ‘fuck off!’ rather than take out the trash as he’d been asked. I found it hard to believe our father could lose his temper that much, but Jerry told me that Dad shut himself in his room for hours after that, coming out only at dinner time. When he did, he knelt down in front of his six-year-old son, pulled him into a hug, and cried.

When Linda and Dad came back into the kitchen, she paused across from me before going up to her room. “Undskyld Jay, jeg er ked af det, jeg sagde...” I gave her a small smile—I’d been sent to the living room once or twice myself so I knew how she felt. “I’m doing your chores today and tomorrow….and I’m grounded for the weekend.”

Mom looked at me as I put my dishes in the sink, and Linda’s. “Don’t you think you should clean your sty of a room before Miles comes over? Even as punishment, I wouldn’t wish that on Lene.”

“And wash your truck!” Dad added as I bounded up the back-stairs from the kitchen. I looked at my room in dismay: a little less than four hours, and I still had to wash my truck! I wasn’t a total slob, but this was asking a lot of a man with a date. I circled the room, pulling laundry off the floor, giving it a sniff before putting it in the tall dresser or in my basket. My books were next, picking them up from the floor, my night-stand and my desk. I stuffed them on the corner shelves and looked at my bed.

Mikey was gonna be in my room—maybe on my bed! I didn’t need to sniff for this task—I pulled the sheets off, only vaguely trying to untangle them from the spread before jamming them in with the dirty clothes. I grabbed the can of Lysol from the bathroom and sprayed it on my mattress and around the room, coughing at the pungency of the disinfectant.

“Jesus—open a window already!” Linda yelled from across the narrow hall. “And don’t forget to sweep either—I don’t want him telling people we live in a dump!”

Shit—nearly an hour gone already! I dragged the vacuum up the stairs, plugged the long cord into the outlet in the hall, and wrestled the plastic hose with it’s aluminum extension into my room. I roamed around pushing it across the wooden floor, only to have it try to eat the edge of my rug! The roar became high-pitched and I ran into the hall and pushed the button on top of the cylindrical motor. With the rug freed and put on the bed, I started again, and leaned way over to make the extension fit under my bed—only to have it start whining again. A sock? What the hell was a sock—OH...EEWWW! With two fingers I removed the crusty item from the nozzle and put it carefully in the basket—acting as if it might explode at any moment.

I carried the heavy basket downstairs, and put it in first, then covered it with sheets, underwear and more socks. Mom looked in as I started the washer just to see if I did it right. It was nearly 10 before I got outside with a big towel and a bucket of soapy water...At least it was sunny out, and warming up nicely!

I was working on the driver’s side front fender, scrubbing really hard, when I heard a splash and turned to see Dad wetting another towel and starting at the rear by the tailgate. I watched for a second as he rubbed the back fender lovingly. “Shame to see her get rusty—she was my first truck when I got my license…she was only a year old back in ‘48...the first new styles since 1941 thanks to the War.”

I let my mouth drop a bit in shock. “Dude, you’re joshin’ me!”

“Gejr let her go and he often let her sit in the rain or snow.” We had worked our way around the other side, and he gave me an appraising look. “If you promise to treat her right, I’ll cover half the cost to get her painted—think you can sand her down and fill any holes?”

Sh—I mean, um….Far out! She can sleep in my room if you do that! It’s a big job, though….”

Dad gave me a half-smile, and his fingers tugged at the sleeve of the tee shirt I was wearing—it had gotten wet and was practically molded to my shoulders and chest. “Maybe Mikey can help you?”

Thanks to Timothy M. for the Danish--it was delicious!
Inspired by Prompt 323.
"Can I talk to you?"
Copyright © 2017 ColumbusGuy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I love Jay's parents. What a wonderful vision you give us of them. I have never hit one of my kids but I shook one of my sons after I saw him ram his brother;s head into a wooden post... It scared me, what he did but the look in his eyes when I shook him has stayed with me. So I understand how Jay's dad felt after hitting his oldest son...I did the same thing and apologized (after the lecture about almost killing his little brother). As kids we think our parents are clueless most of the time but you show how they really don't miss much when they care...the belt, the shirt, the comments are proof of that.

There was a lot of subtle humor in this chapter. I laughed outright at Jay getting hard from milking...It was the same for my cousin and we used to razz him about it. The crusty sock got a chuckle as well..as did hiding it in the washer amongst the other items. Calling Jay's room a sty could have been me. I can't remember how many times I told my boys to 'clean up this pig sty'. Altogether, a very enjoyable chapter filled with anticipation for the day to come, beautifully done. Kudos and cheers...Gary

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Nice and calm, and I laughed at the way Jay thought he would have to wait ages and suddenly got busy with cleaning his room.

But I think his parents chose one wrong punishment. Packing Linda off to her friends house would be a good idea, so the boys could enjoy the day in peace. Why didn't they ground her the weekend after?

And now I'm trying to come up with a Danish sounding name starting with J, which wouldn't work in English. Jesper, Jan, Jørgen, Johan... hmmm.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 10/31/2014 05:32 AM, Timothy M. said:
Nice and calm, and I laughed at the way Jay thought he would have to wait ages and suddenly got busy with cleaning his room.

But I think his parents chose one wrong punishment. Packing Linda off to her friends house would be a good idea, so the boys could enjoy the day in peace. Why didn't they ground her the weekend after?

And now I'm trying to come up with a Danish sounding name starting with J, which wouldn't work in English. Jesper, Jan, Jørgen, Johan... hmmm.

I hope you checked out the song I quoted...Wishing You Were Here by Chicago...he's got it bad for Miles. :)

They were thinking the more immediate the punishment, the better it might take...sucks for Jay, but we haven't seen how that works out yet. That's the next bit since I got dog tired and it was already 2899 words and had most of a day left.

Broaden the scope just a tad on names--Johan would have been fine-Jan was a contender for a while, but my final choice beat it--no obvious (to me) contraction available. Go a tad bit west is a clue.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 10/31/2014 05:08 AM, Headstall said:
I love Jay's parents. What a wonderful vision you give us of them. I have never hit one of my kids but I shook one of my sons after I saw him ram his brother;s head into a wooden post... It scared me, what he did but the look in his eyes when I shook him has stayed with me. So I understand how Jay's dad felt after hitting his oldest son...I did the same thing and apologized (after the lecture about almost killing his little brother). As kids we think our parents are clueless most of the time but you show how they really don't miss much when they care...the belt, the shirt, the comments are proof of that.

There was a lot of subtle humor in this chapter. I laughed outright at Jay getting hard from milking...It was the same for my cousin and we used to razz him about it. The crusty sock got a chuckle as well..as did hiding it in the washer amongst the other items. Calling Jay's room a sty could have been me. I can't remember how many times I told my boys to 'clean up this pig sty'. Altogether, a very enjoyable chapter filled with anticipation for the day to come, beautifully done. Kudos and cheers...Gary

Never had kids, but had to babysit nephews a few times..back then, you could spank kids, and I did once or twice but not hard, and not more than two whacks with my hand...still, I didn't enjoy it. I think I got the observance necessity from having done that job--you couldn't turn your back on them and take anything for granted. :)

Nice to see the milking thing actually was true--I only milked a cow once, but the motions seemed pretty similar to other fun stuff.

Next part is underway--it covers the rest of Saturday's date.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/02/2014 02:48 AM, Suvitar said:
Great chapter!

It was nice to get to know more about Jay´s family and all the animals.

Thanks, Jay's family is fun to write. The next chapter should be up today...Saturday's promised rematch is underway!

I have to thank Timothy M for all the Danish--he's a living god! :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment

What a super-charming chapter! The unspoken, and yet heartfelt, support of Jay's mom and dad for him is really moving. And, it's all so well written.

 

Love the group Chicago – and what a perfect song for Jay to sing as he's wants to get his chores done so he can hurry over to be with Miles! It's a very dreamy song too, and I almost choked up when he sings it into his horse's ear. It's so touching and sweet; the equine probably looked at him funny because he hadn't seen Jay in love before!

 

The detail about Jay's mom seeing her son in Miles' shirt, and that her boy's belt was missing, was interesting. I hope Jay doesn’t get in trouble for that, but of course we know how innocent it is, as Jay soiled his shirt rescuing Miles, and his boyfriend lent him a clean one to wear home. Nice touch, nice details. (…nosy moms…)

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 11/02/2014 09:36 AM, AC Benus said:
What a super-charming chapter! The unspoken, and yet heartfelt, support of Jay's mom and dad for him is really moving. And, it's all so well written.

 

Love the group Chicago – and what a perfect song for Jay to sing as he's wants to get his chores done so he can hurry over to be with Miles! It's a very dreamy song too, and I almost choked up when he sings it into his horse's ear. It's so touching and sweet; the equine probably looked at him funny because he hadn't seen Jay in love before!

 

The detail about Jay's mom seeing her son in Miles' shirt, and that her boy's belt was missing, was interesting. I hope Jay doesn’t get in trouble for that, but of course we know how innocent it is, as Jay soiled his shirt rescuing Miles, and his boyfriend lent him a clean one to wear home. Nice touch, nice details. (…nosy moms…)

I'm glad it linked properly, the song that is, my editor showed it, but I wasn't sure if GA's would take it that way, and I don't remember if I checked--I was pretty tired.

Incidentally, you gave me the idea of linking a song to a story segment with your 'Wings' usage.

Also, can't say enough thanks to Tim for the big chunk of Danish! Google Translate sucks swampwater!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Ok! This is my favorite chapter so far.

I love the real feeling about everything that comes through so strongly.

And I love the way you portray the back and forth of family interaction. :)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 11/04/2014 02:48 PM, Palantir said:
Ok! This is my favorite chapter so far.

I love the real feeling about everything that comes through so strongly.

And I love the way you portray the back and forth of family interaction. :)

Thanks Iarwain! Jay has such a nice set of parents, I wish they had been mine. Not abused, not given dictatorial rules, not lacking anything I needed--happy, right? Was I needy because I wanted more than that? They loved me, but it would have been nice to have been told or shown it more--isolated or insulated--that was me then.
  • Like 4
Link to comment

It was good to see the interaction between Jay's parents and their interaction with their children. Kids do think that parents don't notice things but involved parents do notice a lot. I found it intriguing that his mom noticed the belt and shirt - but neither parent seemed overly concerned about the implications. I laughed at the description of Jay cleaning his room. It could have been my son when he would prepare for a girl to come over. His room would never be more clean than 5 minutes before his guest would arrive. :P I like the song that Jay was singing. I could picturing him singing it to his horse or while cleaning.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 04/07/2015 03:40 AM, EagleIsaac said:
It was good to see the interaction between Jay's parents and their interaction with their children. Kids do think that parents don't notice things but involved parents do notice a lot. I found it intriguing that his mom noticed the belt and shirt - but neither parent seemed overly concerned about the implications. I laughed at the description of Jay cleaning his room. It could have been my son when he would prepare for a girl to come over. His room would never be more clean than 5 minutes before his guest would arrive. :P I like the song that Jay was singing. I could picturing him singing it to his horse or while cleaning.
Thanks for the great review Eagle. I'm glad Jay works as the typical teen, but he's more than that inside, as many probably are--you can't let people catch you being anything else though. :)

 

I was the youngest, with three older sisters--talk abut an excess of babysitters! I drew on that for the interaction with Jay and Linda--caring, yes...but a lot of bickering and bossing.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Jay's parents are observant (mom), loving, and don't like to meddle too much in their children's lives. They're balanced and that's a good thing. Jay's room sounds like the typical teenaged boy's room even down to the crusty sock. lol Good bonding moment with his dad washing the truck. I can already see Miles helping to prep the truck. Good chapter.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 05/15/2015 11:38 AM, drpaladin said:
Jay's parents are observant (mom), loving, and don't like to meddle too much in their children's lives. They're balanced and that's a good thing. Jay's room sounds like the typical teenaged boy's room even down to the crusty sock. lol Good bonding moment with his dad washing the truck. I can already see Miles helping to prep the truck. Good chapter.
Dirck and Rosalie certainly are good at their job...many more moments with them coming up this weekend. :)

I thought the truck scene was nice, since it reminded me of when I was working on the body of my '55 Pontiac, pictured in Chapter 3...Mikey's house is exactly like the one I grew up in on its acre-sized lot in the country. Farms and fields all around, with 'town' being a mile away, if you can call 2500 people a town. :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 07/14/2015 02:59 AM, Zarek said:

Love the interaction between the siblings... And the love between the parents and their children...

Thanks, Zarek! I'm guessing that brothers might be close, but I only have experience with sisters who were at least 6 years older than me, so they had their own lives by the time I was a teen. I met my half-brother only once since he was about 12 years older than me.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Great family you have assembled here, and the Danish phrases add to the history you've described. Depth in a story is always satisfying for me, and you have that here. I raised a son, and relived my entire youth doing it, and that has allowed me to remember well the teen years, because I went through them twice. You have captured them nicely here. Let me go and read one more chapter before bed...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 09/12/2016 01:40 PM, Geron Kees said:

Great family you have assembled here, and the Danish phrases add to the history you've described. Depth in a story is always satisfying for me, and you have that here. I raised a son, and relived my entire youth doing it, and that has allowed me to remember well the teen years, because I went through them twice. You have captured them nicely here. Let me go and read one more chapter before bed...

Tak, Geron. :)

I often wonder if I'd like to relive my teen years, with the benefit of hindsight...sometimes the answer is yes, other times no. If I could change the way things turned out, then certainly yes, but there were some things I just had no control over, like my parents' divorce. Even though I was 19, it was hell being pulled in two directions, and I don't like remembering the fightingso I guess it was a good thing in the end.

Missed opportunities, I'd love to have those back, and I think this is the whole point to Jay & Miles.

Keep going, a ways to go yet.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

This is a really interesting look into Jays home life. I thought the Danish background was a nice touch, and made Jay's character more credible and interesting. I love stories with well developed characters, and this one definitely fills the bill. I'm not sure how to interpret the last line spoken by Jay's dad though. Sounds like he's maybe figuring things out! 

Edited by SolarMaxx
  • Like 4
Link to comment
19 hours ago, SolarMaxx said:

This is a really interesting look into Jays home life. I thought the Danish background was a nice touch, and made Jay's character more credible and interesting. I love stories with well developed characters, and this one definitely fills the bill. I'm not sure how to interpret the last line spoken by Jay's dad though. Sounds like he's maybe figuring things out! 

 

Jay has a special family, is all I'll say for now.  :X    Jay doesn't realize yet what he did when he ran off to check on Miles...as his parents hinted, he wears his heart on his sleeve for the world to see.

When I was casting around for ideas to work with, I'd been talking with Timothy M., and from what I can recall from classes about the period between the Wars, I decided to make the Beckels Danish as their society has always been fairly open.  The family name though, I got from my own genealogy research, and it's German--but who says families never moved--this place would be pretty empty if people hadn't millennia ago.

Lots of people to meet yet, and each has their own story....

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Nice chapter this one giving us a closer look into the family and it's origins. Had a good feeling about the parents and this chapter just proved how decent and solid they were. Was a nice moment having them sitting on the couch discussing their children, "Two or Three?"lol. The love for each other and their family, even Linda who has turned out quite different, is clearly there. In keeping with their roots, the little snippets of Danish dialogue they would slip into was a nice touch adding realism and depth to their characters. And of course, mom, sharp as ever, not going to get much past her, the shirt I can understand, the belt, that's just scary lol, gives new meaning to " a mother always knows....".

Then there's jay. Love the way he's compared to mom in looks and temperament. It was fun watching him going through his chores, especially milking the cows hehe. And singing to his horse, gotta love it. Absentmindedly humming away and getting a rise out of his sister was funny too tho it did lead to her later outburst and her getting grounded. Finally the bedroom scene and the sock, that was a good laugh too. Then getting out to the truck and sharing some dad time, and was that a subtle hint from dad about Mikey?

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
21 hours ago, Goodie said:

Nice chapter this one giving us a closer look into the family and it's origins. Had a good feeling about the parents and this chapter just proved how decent and solid they were. Was a nice moment having them sitting on the couch discussing their children, "Two or Three?"lol. The love for each other and their family, even Linda who has turned out quite different, is clearly there. In keeping with their roots, the little snippets of Danish dialogue they would slip into was a nice touch adding realism and depth to their characters. And of course, mom, sharp as ever, not going to get much past her, the shirt I can understand, the belt, that's just scary lol, gives new meaning to " a mother always knows....".

Then there's jay. Love the way he's compared to mom in looks and temperament. It was fun watching him going through his chores, especially milking the cows hehe. And singing to his horse, gotta love it. Absentmindedly humming away and getting a rise out of his sister was funny too tho it did lead to her later outburst and her getting grounded. Finally the bedroom scene and the sock, that was a good laugh too. Then getting out to the truck and sharing some dad time, and was that a subtle hint from dad about Mikey?

Jay's family is great, and as things move on, even Linda becomes more likeable.

You're moving fast...guess I better get Chapter 60 done.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..