Jump to content
    ColumbusGuy
  • Author
  • 2,202 Words
  • 2,651 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tales of Three Worlds - 2. Fragment Two: Home

em>Jakob's wait....

“So, tell me all the details!”

I tried to remain calm, but hearing that my long-time husband, Ernst, was attacked, set off the worst scenarios I could imagine in my head. I’d been in a holo-meeting with Seven-Diamond and Dr. Lowell, the heads of the Asgard Forestry Project, when I got the alert from the transceiver implant behind my left ear. I interrupted the two scientists’ dialogue with a curt ‘Something’s happened to Ernst…’ and ended the meeting. I saw the alarm in the ‘thal’s face, and the concern in Persephone’s eyes before their images vanished. I was pacing the small room in my apartment, which served as my office while I waited for the time-lag to pass, before I could get a reply from Tycho Deep on the Moon. Six minutes at this time of year…I would have gone crazy if it had been the twenty-one minute delay when Earth and Mars were at their farthest separation.

It was five years since I’d last seen him; one year to complete sampling had been drawn out to five, thanks to interference from the Genetic Authority—they’d stalled and hindered the work of his Collectors at every turn even though they were doing nothing more than recording the genomes of nearly-extinct species. The only reason his task was now at an end was due to influential family ties in the World Court in The Hague. It didn’t help that Ernst had been unable to visit the surface for nearly a century—none of the national blocs were willing to openly defy the GA—though more than a few gave his work clandestine approval.

I sat down at my desk and flicked on the window display, but didn’t really see it; instead of Yggdrasil, the first tree planted on the surface of Mars, surrounded by dark-green, nearly purple grass against a rosy sky, I was seeing the face of Ernst’s youngest brother Hartmann. I’d always picture him as the laughing, red-headed prankster from our wedding back in 2150—though he’d gone on to become the foremost engineer of the Star-Seeker construction team, which vanished in a plasma flare in 2366. No one knew what happened to Earth’s first starship, but the notoriety of the event allowed Ernst and I to attend his brother’s memorial service. The growing conservative movement of the Genetic Authority meant there would not be a second ship…not from Earth anyway.

In the nearly two centuries since that time, Ernst had been banned from Earth, and he spent much of his time on Sky-Hook directing the Earth branch of Hallbach-Sommers Combine, our terra-forming and environmental reclamation firm. Our son Two-Sapphire headed the lunar branch of the company, and his male-mate Green-Fawn was now a force behind the program to build a new starship. We were both touched when he wanted to name it the Hartmann Project, but we urged him to stick with the original name of Star-Seeker II.

My thoughts jerked back to the present when the soft chime of an incoming message sounded in my head. My autosecretary had instructions to use this mode only for emergencies, so I knew it had to be about Ernst. I could feel the sweat turning clammy on my forehead as I sub-vocalized “Acknowledge!”

The softly deep voice of Green-Fawn took over. “Uncle Jakob, video please…” My hand went instinctively to the switch that would change my window display to the communications channel. Green-Fawn’s face came into view, framed by his stylishly curled brown hair, and he gave me his jaw-drop smile of reassurance. Seeing that, I relaxed a little, but I was still very worried. He went on, in that time-saving way of interplanetary communication—speaking slowly and imparting as much information in a burst as possible, so that the other party could begin replying before the original caller had finished. If it was done right, it worked for shorter distances—but the twelve minutes of turn-around between us now was a bit much for it to work well.  https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d8/Tycho_crater_4119_h2.jpg/220px-Tycho_crater_4119_h2.jpg

Behind him, I could see the greenery of Tycho Park through the window—a real, old-Earth window with actual glass—highlighted by the summit of the crater’s central peak and a hazy blue sky. I’d think about all that once Ernst was returned safely to me, maybe take him for a second honeymoon there soon….

Father will be fine, Jakob…his nano-bots put him in hibernation right away, and the pod was diverted straight here for safety purposes. Our med-techs have examined him and started the mending of his broken arm—there are no other injuries; Father is fine…I spoke with him before we sent him on to you, and he will be arriving in four days by fast-trajectory.” Once more, Fawn gave me the jaw-smile, and I began to feel the tension in my body ease just a bit. “Two-Sapphire is with him as there are things to be discussed.”

I let out a long sigh, not realizing that I’d been holding my breath, and began to answer him with thanks for the quick thinking on treating Ernst right away, and asking what required a personal visit from our ‘thal friend. I didn’t feel any qualms about using that term since the homo neanderthalensis community had taken it as their own. It had never been a major irritant for them as ‘negro’ or ‘fag’ had been for human minorities. Except for a few religious enclaves, bigotry had mostly died out in our Twenty-Sixth Century…the fad now was to hate genegineers like myself and Ernst for championing cellular adaptation.

“Uncle, due to the events of last evening, I don’t know how secure our commlinks are; that is why Two is coming to see you. We are running full diagnostics and listening modes, but until we are certain, clear-channel messages will be kept to common knowledge.

“In closing, I send you assurances again, and ask you to inform Two that I will call him on Tuesday, one week from tomorrow. Rest well, Uncle.” I watched as the burly brown-haired figure made a circular gesture over his heart, and dipped his head, the Neanderthal’s gesture of love and respect for Ernst, me, and—without the head part—the common farewell gesture of his kind, much like our wave. I watched a bit longer as the screen blanked out—it would be some time before he could answer my reply, so I switched the screen back to ‘window’, only this was a conception of what the Valles Marineris view would be like when our work of planetary engineering was complete.

Beyond the giant ash tree which centered the ‘real’ view, this concept image contained a broad flowing river with flowered banks of grass, bushes, and park benches, while the sky was deep blue above and just barely pink at the horizon. Clouds could be seen drifting overhead, and the far cliff of the gorge glittered with windows and carved façades making each home a different design. There were no real buildings scattered under the open sky, except for ones to secure transportation either by river, tram or autogyro. There were only a handful of humans in the picture, one human couple with a small girl, and a Neanderthal triad with a slightly older boy. Next to them was a real dog, and a cat was sunning itself on one of the benches.

I sat there with a ridiculous smile on my face, thinking of the day when Ernst and I would walk under that Martian sky, and smell the rich scents of the flowers, listening to the rippling of the river. I could picture us as that couple with the child—I wanted a boy, but Ernst favored a girl he could name after his late mother. I chuckled to myself at the idea of needing to choose—it would be a long time before Mars had to worry about over-population—if ever. It would be centuries yet, the exact number remained uncertain, before Man could walk outside without pressure suits or supplemental oxygen…and only in high summer could you venture out without heavy insulation to keep warm.

I thought the lack of surface housing was peculiar, but then, I’d grown up on Earth in the Saarland region of Germany. Here, and especially on the Moon, men had to live in warrens of tunnels and caverns for protection from radiation and the other dangers of planets with no, or little breathable atmosphere. I missed the open sky and natural breezes, but that was why we had park-caverns in our cities. On Mars, the biggest was located in the caverns and lava-tube tunnels of Pavonis Deep, the first settlement on the planet. After the initial years while the caverns were being sealed and readied, surface structures vanished as being too wasteful and dangerous to live in. For us, it wasn’t an easy choice, but we coped…for the ‘thals, who preferred caves for the most part, the hardest change had been the lack of open greenspace…and that was why their cities on the Moon had the largest parks in the Three Worlds. Who else would enclose a fifty-one mile diameter crater and stock it with plants, trees, animals, and lakes as they had at Tycho?

My stomach growled, and I went into my kitchen to start lunch, and that reminded me that I needed to double my supplies for Ernst’s arrival—he loved to cook even more than I did. After a quick lunch of soup and cheese sandwiches, I spent the afternoon on business, and talking to Seven-Diamond and Dr. Lowell again, informing them that Ernst was okay and would be here in a week. The two scientists expressed their relief on hearing my news, and we began discussing the anomalies, which genetic scans were hinting at in the Asgard Forest in Elysium. Something was affecting the genetic coders, but there was no clue yet whether it was in the process, the machinery, or the genetic codes themselves. I hoped it wasn’t a problem with the codes…that could endanger the entire future of the plan to make Mars into a newer, better Earth.

As I lay in bed, with my big Siamese cat Bortai at my side, my thoughts turned to dreams of my husband, and my heart began to beat faster. The longing I had for him was intense, and I knew the next days of waiting would be harder than the last five years had been. I slept fitfully, waking with my hormones aroused, and gave into them this one time rather than allowing the nanos to dampen their ardor.

When the day finally came for my husband to arrive, I took the tram from our home in Riverview, to the complex at the base of the Eagle’s Nest, where I rode up the Tether to the transfer station 8500 miles overhead. Unlike Earth’s, our ‘sky-hook’s’ upper end had room only for cargo transfer and passenger debarkation—the pods from the Moon and Earth arrived three thousand miles farther up above Mars’ equator at Deimos Light. Deimos had negligible gravity due to its small size, so it was simulated by induction fields that interacted with our shoes to keep us on the ground.

I must have taxed those fields heavily with my pacing as I awaited Ernst and Two-Sapphire’s arrival…I couldn’t sit for more than a few minutes before I was up again. Only now did it occur to me to wonder why I’d have to wait seven days to speak with my companion—the trip from Earth’s Moon took only four days on the path the computers had set. My implant announced the arrival of their pod, but it was another half hour before Two walked into the waiting area. He greeted me with a bone-crushing hug before explaining to me the reason why I wouldn’t see Ernst again for a couple more days—the new strain of nano-bots he brought for us required that long to acclimate to our bodies, and for them to do their initial adjustments. He told me that Ernst was still ‘under’ because it was simpler that way with his injuries…the new bots needed a clean slate to work properly, so our old ones couldn’t be cleared out until he had healed.

Ernst came out on a gurney, covered with a light sheet…I knew he was in good health, but still, I felt a hammering in my chest as I gazed down at his sleeping form. The last five years had added lines to his face which weren’t there before, and a touch of gray to his red hair. I took his hand and kissed it, stroking his hair gently as I followed Two-Sapphire into the medical section of Deimos Light. I stripped my clothes off as he instructed, and lay down on the bed next to the one Ernst occupied. He handed me a cup with a faintly blue liquid in it, and told me to drink it down.

“When you awaken, Uncle, you and Father will be new men…”

The world vanished then, and I dreamed of green fields, blue skies, soft breezes—and holding my love’s hand as we walked in the warm sun….

em>This was inspired by Prompt 452.
"So, tell me all the details!"
Copyright © 2017 ColumbusGuy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 11/03/2015 09:22 AM, skinnydragon said:

Nicely done CG! I say that because even I could follow it. :rolleyes:

This is clearly not my strength ...hehe.

Is it coincidence that this is written as evidence of water flow, still in progress on Mars, has been discovered? Or did you incorporate those thoughts? In any event, terra-forming is now much more possible, although still a bit far off.

I suppose for any incentive to exist for a spaceflight to span the time required, such nano-robots with the ability to prolong human life indefinitely, would be necessary, or some equivalent notion.

It's a good story with both future-probable-scientific and future-possible-human (in all manifestations) developments. Did I actually write that last sentence? Sorry!

Anyway, a great tale, as I anticipate future :pinch: chapters... (Sorry again)

Thanks SD! Terra-forming isn't new to me thanks to so much science-fiction reading, but I'm trying to make it easier to follow--I've researched a lot for this story, and this chapter was just getting started when I saw the bit about the discovery in September of water flow. Id known about the 'mudslides' and the polar water, but I just found out a German project has found that lichen will grow on Mars under current conditions.

Without some increase in life-span, the usual solution to interstellar travel is a 'generation-ship'--a self-contained world where multiple generations will live and die before the arrival at another star...this is fraught with danger if the society breaks down--they could even forget they are on ships at all. I recommend a short book called The Ballad of Beta-Two, by Samuel R. Delany--that book had a profound effect on me as a teen, and it still stirs my emotions to this day.

I hope you are liking the people as well as the science! :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment

The other option is cold-sleep as you travel, but there are problems with that too. I always found terraforming interesting, but cave dwelling makes sense too. And later generations would not know what they missed, in relation to surface dwellings and blue skies.
I loved the cameo appearance of Bortai. :hug:

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 11/04/2015 03:18 AM, Timothy M. said:

The other option is cold-sleep as you travel, but there are problems with that too. I always found terraforming interesting, but cave dwelling makes sense too. And later generations would not know what they missed, in relation to surface dwellings and blue skies.

I loved the cameo appearance of Bortai. :hug:

Cold sleep I'm not sure I would trust over decades and possibly centuries, due to possible mechanical problems. I'm reading Ballad of Beta-2 again, fifth time and it still hasn't faded for me.

Caves make so much sense against radiation that it ought to be the form we use and forget surface structures...if we ever get to Mars or the Moon again, we should find the caves first, and land near them so they can be adapted for use as soon as possible. I learned about them as I was researching-you knew they had to be there, but it's nice to have it confirmed. :)

Bortai had to appear, and cats seem a good first pet for a colony--you don't have to walk them and scoop up their refuse--just put it in the recycling system.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

It's a great chapter, CG. The concept is shaping up nicely as you start pulling the threads together. Keep up the good work. Cheers... Gary...

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I'll take a flask of the blue nano-bots on ice to go, please. Great chapter as we get to see a bit of Ernst's better half and more of what is going on with the Mars project.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 11/04/2015 06:04 AM, henry22 said:

Great can't wait for more

Thanks henry--I'm trying to make this less cheesy than the stuff I wrote as bad sci-fi when I was in school. :) It wasn't until college that one of my professors suggested that I was very good at more 'historical' settings...and more than ten years later that I tried it on the 'net doing a story in ancient Rome with some other great writers.

I'll pick up the pace of posting a bit now that I've had more research under my belt.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 11/04/2015 12:59 PM, Headstall said:

It's a great chapter, CG. The concept is shaping up nicely as you start pulling the threads together. Keep up the good work. Cheers... Gary...

Thanks Gary--it gives you a break from my epic-length chapters in JM! :) I'm still 'feeling out' the characters and situations...always rough at the start. Thanks for editing this!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 11/04/2015 01:46 PM, drpaladin said:

I'll take a flask of the blue nano-bots on ice to go, please. Great chapter as we get to see a bit of Ernst's better half and more of what is going on with the Mars project.

Early days, drpaladin...plenty to come on Mars, the Moon and Earth. I could use a shot of nanos on ice myself. :)

Now if I could only figure out how to increase Mars' magnetic field--had a crazy idea but I doubt it would work.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

My first ideas for this are more than a decade old, and only finding the solar wind under their sails now...it was just too big to tackle as a novel.  :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Pretty good science fiction wise.  Overpopulation is unlikely given future global population trends (available in 2015); everything else is pretty good.  I really like the Neanderthals and using lava tubes as habitats. Sky hooks was cool too and you kept the light speed limit for communications.  This should be interesting.      I do worry that there is a trade off between lower longevity/higher fertility and high longevity/low fertility civilizations.   I worry the latter will have little youth and lack vibrancy.   Here you engineer people through nanobots to maintain young bodies; that's interesting but I still think 500 year old people (there are few in the story, I know) probably will think old.   Oh well, time to read on.  This should be exciting...

  • Like 2
Link to comment

@GanymedeRex

I try to keep the science within the boundaries of what might be possible, and some signs indicate that humans could live a lot longer with the effects of aging slowed or eliminated...with what we are learning about genetics and cloning, why not toss in some nano-tech that could make the process easier?  We are learning what genees control certain things now, and how they can be manipulated to turn off other evolutionary factors...

We also are finding other species of man that we didn't know about before, and that they too contrib uted to our genetics through interbreeding, like the genes that make high altitude living easier in Tibet.  I forget the name right now, but it starts with a 'D', so that's at least a second or third species that has helped us evolve...and both of them so far have done it within the last 50,000 years or so.

More to come, and I'll try to keep things in the realm of the possible as we know it--but we all know that advances come often from leaps of intuition and wonder too.....

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

@ColumbusGuy - You are thinking about Denisovan man - they were really small and their DNA is represented in east Asian populations & Australian aborigines, I believe.   About 4-5% DNA from Neanderthals in western races out of Africa.  I'd really like to meet a Neanderthal one day.   The sexual triad was a cool concept.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

If my High School physics is correct, the magnetism that creates compass direction in our world  depends upon spin movements in the central magma of the earth... So, if you want to create a magnetic field just set the internal magma too spinning. Now the problem comes up, is there any internal magma on other planets in our solar system? That, I cannot help you with. Hey, you are the author, just put the internal spinning magma in your planet!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..