Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 1,878 Words
  • 17,122 Views
  • 34 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Accidents Happen - 1. Chapter 1 - Charlies Night

Just when Charlie thought things were going great disaster strikes

Chapter 1 – Charlie’s Night

 

The rain was still falling steadily as Charlie gazed out the dark window into the early morning. His legs were tired from standing there all night. He’d finally stopped crying about an hour ago but his eyes were still puffy and there would be dark circles under them today. As he stood there with his arms wrapped around his chest the alarm clock began to ring. Absently he turned around and slammed the button off. Catching his image in the mirror he realized his students would be seeing him at his worst.

“Well,” he said talking to his reflection in the mirror, “at least things can’t get much worse.”

Charlie slowly dragged himself into the bathroom and started up the shower. The sounds of the shower matched the sound of the falling rain making everything seem a bit more depressing than normal.

Last night had been a disaster to put it mildly. His relationship with Tina had crashed and burned. He’d met Tina in his first year of college and like so many things in his life that had been an accident as well.

Charlie was shy and quiet most of the time. He had been called a geek, which was probably true, and to be honest he was awkward at best in social situations. It hadn’t helped matters that his college roommate was a social butterfly and the room was constantly full of men and women who were stopping by to see what was going on with Ted. Ted, tired of simply telling Charlie he had to get out more, finally dragged him off one night to one of the many parties being held on the campus.

“Look you won’t die if you go out Charlie! For Christ’s sake you live like a hermit. You need to get out and I’m making sure you do!”

"I do go out of our room, Ted. I am not a hermit you know?"

"Going to the library to study or the student union to grab food to bring back here isn't living or having a social life, Charlie."

The argument or something like it had been going on since their first semester together. Ted had become a close friend despite Charlie’s reluctance to make friends. For three years they had been roommates and it had worked out well for both of them. Charlie helped Ted focus on his papers when the time came, and Ted made sure Charlie didn’t hide completely in their room all year. However Ted was constantly trying to get Charlie to come out of his shell and make more friends. Ted the gregarious Communications major and shy Charlie the Education major were an odd pair but good friends.

“But,” stammered Charlie.

“No buts! Let’s go Charlie,” stated Ted as he grabbed Charlie by the arm and dragged him out into the night. “You know college is supposed to be the time you make lifelong friends. Not end up hiding away with your face in a book. I mean I know your grades are important but so is life, Charlie.”

Charlie went if not happily. The party was in one of the large student buildings and that meant absolutely no alcohol so Charlie didn’t think he would get into any type of trouble. Naturally, Ted wandered away two minutes after they entered talking to a large group of people who seemed to swarm up and swallow him whole. Charlie nervously tried to find a place to hide. Ultimately, Charlie figured if he had one drink and left Ted couldn’t really be mad at him.

There were large bottles of water, cans of soda, and a bowl of fruit punch with pieces of pineapple and cherries floating in it. Figuring the punch looked good he ladled himself out a glass and was turning around when the accident happened. A pretty young woman in a white shirt was suddenly there and Charlie’s glass of punch was spilled down the front of it. Charlie was horrified.

“Oh my, oh, damn, I mean,” Charlie stammered as he looked around for something to use to wipe off her shirt. “I never meant to, oh, shit”

The young woman looked stunned for a moment and then laughed. “Shouldn’t I be the one upset? I mean I am the one wearing the punch.”

“I am so sorry,” he began again.”I didn’t mean to …”

“Let me wear your drink,” she finished for him. “Don’t worry about it. I should have known better than to wear a white top to any sort of party. I was asking for disaster to strike me. Just didn’t think it would happen two minutes in the door.”

Charlie was turning a darker and darker shade of red as he noticed the white shirt, now stained red and pink was also becoming rather transparent. The young woman took one look at his face and grabbed his arm. Charlie barely was taller than Tina, and in the one inch heels she wore he looked her eye to eye. Sometimes his 5'7'' height left him at a big disadvantage with people.

“Come on handsome, if I am going to be showing my bra to the whole college you are walking me home to change. My name is Tina by the way. What the hell is yours,” she asked trying not to laugh at the look on Charlie's face.

She hadn’t looked back but dragged him out the door and across the quad to her dorm.

“Um, my name is Charlie,” he stammered out. He found while he might be taller he was nearly jogging to keep up with Tina’s fast moving gait.

“Well, Charlie, no men are allowed beyond the lobby so sit down and I’ll be right back.”

And that was it. From that moment on Tina was at his side. When she said they should go to the dance he bought the tickets. When she suggested the movies he just smiled and agreed. It had been that way all through the last year and a half of college and up to the first two weeks of school that first September.

He had been lucky. His student teaching had allowed him to work with first graders. He had fallen in love with his students immediately. These kids he could relate to. They didn’t notice how shy he normally was or say things that were rude or mean. They wanted to play, learn, and be kids. He made such an impression on the regular teacher that she wrote him a glowing letter of recommendation that found him immediately hired after graduation.

Tina had helped him find a place and set it up. He thought everything was going great until last night. Last night his whole world came crashing down around his ears. Funny, he thought things were going so well. Then Tina called and told him she had to see him tonight, at seven at his apartment.

“Charlie! Are you even listening to me,” Tina grunted in aggravation.

“Of course, Tina,” was his soft reply.

Tina stared at him. The more she looked the more uncomfortable he felt.

“You know I use to find that shy quiet routine sexy but now I know it isn’t a routine. God, you are so," she paused as she searched for the right words. Giving up she just screamed," so fucking boring.”

Charlie looked down in surprise. He hated to fight but he wondered what had brought this on. Maybe it was because when she asked him what he wanted to do this weekend he had answered as he always had, whatever she wanted to do.

“Do you even love me, Charlie?”

“Of course I do,” he whispered.

“Right. You never do anything. I mean you love to curl up on the couch together but you never initiate anything, ever!” She paused to look at Charlie. He sat there looking down at his fingers. The fact that he refused to meet her eyes gave her pause for a moment. Then she shook her head and continued on, feeling he needed to hear this. “I choose the movies, Charlie, and I choose the restaurants. If I want us to go away for a romantic weekend, I book it. Hell I even had to tell you when I wanted to meet your parents,” Tina stormed. She turned away from him so he wouldn’t see how much this hurt her to say. “Your parents! Who the hell has to tell their boyfriend after two months together that they should meet their parents?” Shaking her head she turned to stare at him once more.

Charlie kept looking at his hands. What could he say? Tina was right. Somehow he just couldn’t figure out how to be the man she wanted him to be.

"Damn it, Charlie. Would you at least look at me?" Charlie slowly looked up. His green eyes flashed at her from under his thick lashes. She felt like she had kicked a puppy.

"I'm sorry, Tina," came the half mumbled comment.

Tina shook her head. How can you make a man do something he has never done before, she thought. She wanted so much more and was beginning to think that Charlie, no matter how sweet he was, just wasn't going to be able to provide it. That hurt her and she just wanted to shake him.

“Do you have anything to say to me?”

A profound silence seemed to fill the room. Charlie was finding it harder and harder to breath.

“Fine. I give up,” she said with so much controlled tension that Charlie felt he was being slapped by the silence. “I will give you two days, Charlie. Either get your head together,” Tina said and took a deep breath before continuing, “or we are over, Charlie.”

Tina grabbed her coat, turned and looked at Charlie where he had sat through her whole tirade and walked out the door. The sound of her heels could be heard as they headed down the short stair case and the outside door closed behind her. Then the silence closed over Charlie like a damp blanket.

At first Charlie just sat there. He felt like he had run a race and lost. Somehow he had lost the ability to speak to her. To reach out and say whatever it was that Tina needed to hear. Then the tears had started. He found he couldn’t control the sobs that wracked his body. He stumbled from the chair to his bedroom.

Depressed he first tried to lie across his bed but it made him feel worse. At last, tired and depressed he stripped down to his underwear and headed over to sit by the window. As he approached a loud crack of thunder filled the air and he turned toward the window to watch the storm. It was almost like his body slowly emptied of everything as he watched the storm get heavier and the lightening flash across the storm. It was almost hypnotic and that is how he stayed all night watching the storm belt the area outside his window. It was just another painful night alone and the only arms that curled around him were his own.

Please leave me any message you like. I promise to answer but will not give away where I plan to take the story. Comments are always most welcome. Lets me know where I succeed and where I need to focus my writing.
Copyright © 2011 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Sad 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



  • Site Administrator

First the compliments then the flame! JK I read this because you mentioned it in your status update. Way to plug your story ;) Actually it was that emotion you described in the update that got my attention. I remember it sooooo well. It was just that same bite the nails (eww) and hyperventilate feeling as I waited to hear if my first attempt to write was a total FAIL. I have to say yours is way better. Oh, at not failing, btw ;) Anyway, I was blessed with both excellent support and feedback to help me grow as a writer so here is my attempt to pass that on.

 

 

Your flow is very good. The introduction to the scenario and the characters is very smooth. We see Charlie and his distress and then your slide into his memory is darn near flawless. You show the story and let the characters tell it by dialogue and showcasing their actions in your narration. I'm all about visualization and you definitely kept me there. I can 'see' Charlie though the only things you gave us to describe him is that he was taller than Tina and he was easily tugged about by her and his roommate. To me, considering he acknowledged being a geek that brought to mind a average height, slender man with brown hair. (Not a redhead or blond since you said dark circles under his eyes as if they were something new and both of those coloring types tend to get them easily). You didn't do a physical breakdown of the character but I got to see my version of him as I read. It might differ from your's or another reader's but that lets us really feel connected when we get to make them up. Great job on that.

 

 

Okay, gotta throw in some quibbles. You do have some slight errors in punctuation and flow. Check for possessive apostrophe mistakes and missing commas. Keeping them out as much as possible is a good thing but sometimes natural flow demands them. My best advice for that is to read your chapter out loud. It helps you determine where any natural pause is in the story that needs punctuation changes such as a comma, question mark, or period. My other quibble is timeline. You never tell us when Tina and Charlie meet but you make it seem early on in college with this line: It had been that way all through college and the first few months of summer and right up to the first two weeks of school.

 

 

That seems like too much time for her to just now realize and decide she didn't care for his meekness in his personality. Then, her then quibble about having to ask to meet his parents 2 months in then made me question how long they had really been together versus my first impression. That distraction pulled me out of the story a bit, and not in a good way. Either some thought that she had, perhaps that if he became a full fledged working adult he would change into a more assertive person, kept her with him for years (and if so you need to let her tell him and readers that) or they haven't been together more than part of senior year and afterward as he found his job. In that case I'd change "all through college" to something a bit more specific timewise. At least, that's my take on a realistic approach to this type of situation.

 

 

Overall this is a very good story. I'll be keeping an eye out for an update. You might not tell us where you are going but I saw the tags. Mature adult/young adult. Will Charlie meet someone older who will like his meekness and know how to provide him with the security he needs to grow into a quietly confident man? Hmm... can't wait to see!!

Link to comment

Hi there Comicfan, I enjoyed reading this first chapter of your story. On the surface Charlie seems a wimp. You made me feel as if he'd had some sort of emotional trauma which left him lacking in esteem.

Tina comes across as a real jerk.

I loved the atmosphere you created in the last scene with the mixture of storm and loneliness.

Link to comment
On 03/29/2011 05:47 PM, Cia said:
First the compliments then the flame! JK I read this because you mentioned it in your status update. Way to plug your story ;) Actually it was that emotion you described in the update that got my attention. I remember it sooooo well. It was just that same bite the nails (eww) and hyperventilate feeling as I waited to hear if my first attempt to write was a total FAIL. I have to say yours is way better. Oh, at not failing, btw ;) Anyway, I was blessed with both excellent support and feedback to help me grow as a writer so here is my attempt to pass that on.

 

 

Your flow is very good. The introduction to the scenario and the characters is very smooth. We see Charlie and his distress and then your slide into his memory is darn near flawless. You show the story and let the characters tell it by dialogue and showcasing their actions in your narration. I'm all about visualization and you definitely kept me there. I can 'see' Charlie though the only things you gave us to describe him is that he was taller than Tina and he was easily tugged about by her and his roommate. To me, considering he acknowledged being a geek that brought to mind a average height, slender man with brown hair. (Not a redhead or blond since you said dark circles under his eyes as if they were something new and both of those coloring types tend to get them easily). You didn't do a physical breakdown of the character but I got to see my version of him as I read. It might differ from your's or another reader's but that lets us really feel connected when we get to make them up. Great job on that.

 

 

Okay, gotta throw in some quibbles. You do have some slight errors in punctuation and flow. Check for possessive apostrophe mistakes and missing commas. Keeping them out as much as possible is a good thing but sometimes natural flow demands them. My best advice for that is to read your chapter out loud. It helps you determine where any natural pause is in the story that needs punctuation changes such as a comma, question mark, or period. My other quibble is timeline. You never tell us when Tina and Charlie meet but you make it seem early on in college with this line: It had been that way all through college and the first few months of summer and right up to the first two weeks of school.

 

 

That seems like too much time for her to just now realize and decide she didn't care for his meekness in his personality. Then, her then quibble about having to ask to meet his parents 2 months in then made me question how long they had really been together versus my first impression. That distraction pulled me out of the story a bit, and not in a good way. Either some thought that she had, perhaps that if he became a full fledged working adult he would change into a more assertive person, kept her with him for years (and if so you need to let her tell him and readers that) or they haven't been together more than part of senior year and afterward as he found his job. In that case I'd change "all through college" to something a bit more specific timewise. At least, that's my take on a realistic approach to this type of situation.

 

 

Overall this is a very good story. I'll be keeping an eye out for an update. You might not tell us where you are going but I saw the tags. Mature adult/young adult. Will Charlie meet someone older who will like his meekness and know how to provide him with the security he needs to grow into a quietly confident man? Hmm... can't wait to see!!

Thanks for the commenting. Will have to go back to adjust his timeline a bit. I probably need a to find a reader who can catch the errors with it before I get it up. Well reading tags helps but still going to need to wait. Very perceptive about Charlie. He does have brown hair, is slender, and on the shorter side of life. But most of that is made clear in the next chapter. Thank you for the comments and they are all very much appreciated Cia.
Link to comment
On 03/29/2011 09:33 PM, Palantir said:
Hi there Comicfan, I enjoyed reading this first chapter of your story. On the surface Charlie seems a wimp. You made me feel as if he'd had some sort of emotional trauma which left him lacking in esteem.

Tina comes across as a real jerk.

I loved the atmosphere you created in the last scene with the mixture of storm and loneliness.

Larwain, I find that nature usually is a good way of sensing how things are going. If not then sometimes using food to help it. If you read that someone sits down with a carton of ice cream and spoon but can't even take a bite already you know something is up. Tina has her moments, and she isn't gone yet. Charlie isn't a wimp so much as sort of beaten down. I think everyone has hidden strengths that come out when they really need them.
Link to comment

I like that it reads different. Maybe that is your voice as a storyteller and maybe the nature of the story. Charlie seems to feel inadequate or to blame about his life, which contrasts with what others believe to some degree. His roommate thought enough of him to encourage him, and Tina calls him handsome immediately after he dumps punch on her. She didn't hestitate to lay claim to him either. Big time apparently. Something about Charlie made her possessive and want him and maybe the quarrel was an attempt to keep him. Whatever is bothering Charlie is still a mystery. We don't know what he wants other than maybe the joy of his job teaching. Who is Charlie?

Link to comment

Hello!

 

I liked the start. You made me wanna protect this whimp of a guy. I love nerds, that is no secret, so Charlie seemed interesting enough to wanna hug him allright.

 

I'll be reading on as you post! Post soon! :)

Link to comment
On 03/30/2011 03:34 PM, Foster said:
I like that it reads different. Maybe that is your voice as a storyteller and maybe the nature of the story. Charlie seems to feel inadequate or to blame about his life, which contrasts with what others believe to some degree. His roommate thought enough of him to encourage him, and Tina calls him handsome immediately after he dumps punch on her. She didn't hestitate to lay claim to him either. Big time apparently. Something about Charlie made her possessive and want him and maybe the quarrel was an attempt to keep him. Whatever is bothering Charlie is still a mystery. We don't know what he wants other than maybe the joy of his job teaching. Who is Charlie?
Bugeye, Well who ever believes everything they see in the mirror. Charlie has some self esteem issues that I try to explain in Chapter 2, if it ever posts. He really isn't a bad guy just overly shy. Time will show more of Charlie and just who he is. Thanks for reading and even more importantly commenting.
Link to comment
On 03/30/2011 06:06 PM, Marzipan said:
Hello!

 

I liked the start. You made me wanna protect this whimp of a guy. I love nerds, that is no secret, so Charlie seemed interesting enough to wanna hug him allright.

 

I'll be reading on as you post! Post soon! :)

Charlie is the sort of person people gravitate to and want to protect. Nice to see that you like my little nerd. :)
Link to comment

charlie does bring out the protectiveness... doesnt he? he's so so so sweet!! :hug: to the hurting Charlie! :)

 

u got me hooked! :)

**goes off to read ch 2**

Link to comment
On 04/02/2011 12:25 PM, Frostina said:
charlie does bring out the protectiveness... doesnt he? he's so so so sweet!! :hug: to the hurting Charlie! :)

 

u got me hooked! :)

**goes off to read ch 2**

Thank you Frostina. Glad you enjoy it. Now if I could just get my job to leave me alone for a bit I could get chapter three completed. Glad Charlie is being well received by those taking the time to read.
Link to comment

Tina's got a point but she knew that when she met him and she really shouldn't have dealt with it like that. It was unfair to hit Charlie in the face with it like that when she;'s been feeling it all along. She should at least have given him the opportunity and the time to change. Two day just isn't enough. i, too get the feeling that Charlie has suffered some kind of emotional trauma to shut him down that much. He's not just shy he's absent. I liked the story a lot and I'm off to read some more

Link to comment
On 04/19/2011 05:11 PM, Nephylim said:
Tina's got a point but she knew that when she met him and she really shouldn't have dealt with it like that. It was unfair to hit Charlie in the face with it like that when she;'s been feeling it all along. She should at least have given him the opportunity and the time to change. Two day just isn't enough. i, too get the feeling that Charlie has suffered some kind of emotional trauma to shut him down that much. He's not just shy he's absent. I liked the story a lot and I'm off to read some more
Nephy, thank you for reading and more importantly commenting. I hope as the story progresses it all makes sense. Nothing in life is without its reasons.
Link to comment

Wow, poor Charlie, I can relate to him a lot though, I know what that shyness is like.

And like the others have said that wasnt really fair of Tina and if she had felt like that for a while she should have brought it up earlier.

Nice start Wayne, gonna keep reading to see what unravels :)

Link to comment
On 06/14/2011 09:49 PM, Agaith said:
Wow, poor Charlie, I can relate to him a lot though, I know what that shyness is like.

And like the others have said that wasnt really fair of Tina and if she had felt like that for a while she should have brought it up earlier.

Nice start Wayne, gonna keep reading to see what unravels :)

Thanks Stu. We all know the shy guy who is afraid to really put himself out there. Tina just sort of reached the end of her rope. Hang in there. The story is just begun here.
Link to comment

Hey Wayne, I really like the start of this story. Right from the start I can see that Charlie is going to have a bumpy ride. He seems like a good guy so I hope he has some happy times ahead too.

 

Now that I've finished reading the Novella's, I wanted this story to be the next one that I throw myself into. You've got a good start, which is awesome since I hate to wait for chappy postings, hope you stay ahead of me :P Cant wait to read more!

 

 

Link to comment
On 07/24/2011 08:01 AM, K.C. said:
Hey Wayne, I really like the start of this story. Right from the start I can see that Charlie is going to have a bumpy ride. He seems like a good guy so I hope he has some happy times ahead too.

 

Now that I've finished reading the Novella's, I wanted this story to be the next one that I throw myself into. You've got a good start, which is awesome since I hate to wait for chappy postings, hope you stay ahead of me :P Cant wait to read more!

 

Uh oh. You are reading my main tale now KC. You might want to start with a few of the other short stories. :lol: I am sort of heading toward the home stretch now with Charlie and gang. I think it is going well but I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for reading KC and honest comments are always welcome.
Link to comment

Nice start. I always like it when there are problems right away. Not a big fan of Charlie at the moment. I don't really have a reason as to why I don't like him; I just don't. I actually like Tina though. Her two day deadline makes her seem like a jerk but her initial reaction to them meeting was nice. They'll most likely break up eventually but I think Tina can help Charlie in some way.

Link to comment
On 08/14/2011 04:55 PM, Ramon said:
Nice start. I always like it when there are problems right away. Not a big fan of Charlie at the moment. I don't really have a reason as to why I don't like him; I just don't. I actually like Tina though. Her two day deadline makes her seem like a jerk but her initial reaction to them meeting was nice. They'll most likely break up eventually but I think Tina can help Charlie in some way.
Wow. You are the first person not to like Charlie at the start. Glad for a different view on things. Tina isn't such a bad person but you will see that.
Link to comment

Not sure what to think about Charlie, I know the type, but so far - other than Tina - his situation has nothing to do with luck and everything to do with how he is. Sweet but shy is a taste - you either like it or don't, Tina obviously is an Alpha type who thought she wanted the shy submissive type but found she needed a bit more. Now what does Charlie do with it? I think he rushes into the arms of Ted, they have mad wild sex and live happily ever after. :whistle:

Link to comment
On 10/14/2011 08:44 AM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
Not sure what to think about Charlie, I know the type, but so far - other than Tina - his situation has nothing to do with luck and everything to do with how he is. Sweet but shy is a taste - you either like it or don't, Tina obviously is an Alpha type who thought she wanted the shy submissive type but found she needed a bit more. Now what does Charlie do with it? I think he rushes into the arms of Ted, they have mad wild sex and live happily ever after. :whistle:
Nice guess but you have a long way to go yet. Keep reading Andy. :lol:
Link to comment

Sorry its took me so long to start this :) The title put me off knowing our pasts. :hug:

I really feel for Charlie and yeah I can see what Stuby means :)

Tina is a bit of a bitch, but Charlie needs a kick up the arse too.

I have to push Stuby sometimes so I totally relate to this. Nice start Comic :hug:

Link to comment
On 01/08/2012 11:16 PM, Mark92 said:
Sorry its took me so long to start this :) The title put me off knowing our pasts. :hug:

I really feel for Charlie and yeah I can see what Stuby means :)

Tina is a bit of a bitch, but Charlie needs a kick up the arse too.

I have to push Stuby sometimes so I totally relate to this. Nice start Comic :hug:

There are all sorts of 'accidents' along the way here. Hang in there. Charlie really isn't a bad story. :)
Link to comment

A great start into an intriguing story... Grips me from the start and makes me want to keep reading... (I'll probably cuss you for lack of sleep at some point). Thanks for your efforts. I have no criticisms that CIA didn't already cover elloquently.

Link to comment
On 02/10/2012 04:05 PM, MidnightMan said:
A great start into an intriguing story... Grips me from the start and makes me want to keep reading... (I'll probably cuss you for lack of sleep at some point). Thanks for your efforts. I have no criticisms that CIA didn't already cover elloquently.
Yes, Cia nailed it right on the head and I went through three different editors before Intune. Can't say Charlie is perfect but he is a hell of a lot better than he was without the imput of my beta and editor.
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..