Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 2,135 Words
  • 9,226 Views
  • 24 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Accidents Happen - 12. Chapter 12 - Interference and Reading Signs

Charlie and Scott are left to talk things out. It is all work right?

Chapter 12 – Interference and Reading Signs

The hopes that this would be a quick meeting, where he could simply agree to three meetings and go, were dashed as Charlie realized Scott was the one doing the hosting. He watched uncomfortably as Scott slid the coat off and put it across a few of his student’s desks. The tight sweater showed off just how good figure Scott Reeds could cut.

“How am I? Hmmm. Well, I guess you would know, if you took the time to find me.”

For a moment Charlie felt pinned by those blue eyes and this time they seemed to be judging him. He didn’t much care for that feeling. He wants to play, fine. If nothing else I have learned a few things from my mother. Charlie returned Scott’s look and smiled sweetly.

“Well, Mr. Reeds, I did call the hospital to check on you so I could go up to visit, but you had already been cleared and left.”

That seemed to stop Scott for a moment. Then with a toothy sort of grin he nodded and moved toward the coffee Charlie had brewed up. He took a cup and poured himself some coffee before turning again to face Charlie. He lifted the cup toward his face and paused only long to pass another comment.

“I see. So a man saves your life and your concern only lasts as long as he is in the hospital.”

What the hell. Does he honestly believe that? Well if that is how this game is going to be played time to let the family man know I don’t need any more problems.

“Actually, no, Mr. Reeds, I didn't forget about you. I did stop by your store to find out how you were doing.”

Scott looked up suddenly.

“However, you weren’t in. Your daughter kindly told me that when she sold me a book.”

Scott nearly choked when he heard the word daughter. He took a moment to compose himself and then moved closer to Charlie. His voice had dropped an octave and when he spoke again it was thick with anger.

“Would you mind, Mr. Wagner, repeating that last part to me again?”

Well something pissed him off.

“When I went to see you at your store you weren’t there.”

Scott’s face was getting a tinge of red to it. Charlie wasn’t sure what was making him so mad, but he unconsciously took a step back and smacked into his desk. Scott realized he must be scaring Charlie and purposely took a seat on top of one of the desks. His one hand gripped the mug in death hold and the other began to wrap around the edge of the desk. He took a deep breath before he spoke again.

“Mr. Wagner, would you mind telling me the other half of that sentence again?”

“Your daughter was kind enough to tell me you weren’t there.”

“Would you please describe my daughter to me?”

Charlie stopped and looked at Scott. The man looked like was ready to beat the crap out of someone. I wonder just who pissed him off this bad.

“I would think you know what your daughter looks like,” Charlie began. Scott’s blue eyes seemed to pierce him again and he shut up for a moment. Charlie took a deep breath and continued on. “She has blue eyes like you, dark hair, and pale skin. She wears a lot of black clothing, or did the day I met her.”

Charlie saw the way Scott’s knuckles turned white as he grasped the desk. He watched as Scott nodded and then he barely heard him mutter his next phrase.

“I am going to kill Julie.”

“Excuse me, Mr. Reeds, is there a problem?”

“Yes and no. Well, at least that explains something.”

Charlie just looked at Scott. It seemed whenever he was near this man he didn’t understand everything that was happening. Charlie took a moment to compose himself and noticed there were no rings on Mr. Reeds’ fingers. I wonder if he is divorced or just doesn’t like to wear his wedding band.

“If it is alright, then, can we get back to the reason for you visit? I understand you had an idea to help out with literacy and decided to begin with the first grade class.”

“Well, actually, it was a customer who came in to my store on Monday who gave me the idea. After seeing my reading area she suggested I start off trying to recruit help from the local school and see if it would fly. After she left I typed up the proposal and dropped it off at the school. However, I didn’t know it would lead to us meeting again.”

Charlie listened as Scott had been telling him about the idea for the literacy program. Charlie had been surprised. He had suggested something similar to his host teacher when he did his student teaching. She had informed him that it would need to be approved by the district, but with the budget cuts she didn’t think they would allow it. However, if an outside business would host and supply the time and equipment the school district would jump on the bandwagon immediately. He had tried to find help from the local business, but couldn’t. He remembered telling his mother that it was too bad such a great idea would never get off the ground.

“It sounds as if you have a very loyal customer there.”

“Actually, it was the first time I met the lady. She had come in looking for a book for her granddaughter, but we spent about an hour talking about different things. I will say this, she is an impressive lady. She explained if I was willing to do an outreach program with the school it would help bring new customers in and win me good graces with the school. That way if they were planning on buying new books for the classrooms or something like that, my store would be in a prime position to benefit.”

“She sounds like a savvy business woman. So she is the one that suggested my school?”

“Yes, she explained that if you hooked kids at a young age on reading, you would end up with customers for life.”

“So, what are your plans for your literacy program?”

Charlie sat listening as Scott laid out his plans. They weren’t overly ambitious, but they would go a long way to building a relationship with the local parents. Every other week a book would be recommended to the first grade classes. They would be discounted at Scott’s store and he would run reading groups in the front of his place. Those that participated would be entered into a drawing for a small prize each week and the grand prize to be given at the end of the year. Charlie told him to purposely leave the grand prize empty at the moment. He figured the teachers could do some asking themselves and see if they could get some funding for this on their own.

As the meeting continued Charlie found himself noticing little things about Scott. Again he noticed how strong his hands looked. His eyes were drawn to the little scar Scott had near his chin. Then Charlie noticed the dark hair that curled out from beneath the sweater both at his wrist and collar. Scott was sitting on top of the student’s desk Indian style. The arm with the cast held the mug and Charlie noticed how smoothly Scott passed the mug back and forth between hands so he could drink from it.

I wonder if he does everything so smoothly. The odd thought brought Charlie back to himself and he realized he had missed a few things that Scott had been saying.

“So that is why I need the teacher for the first three meeting. Can you do it, Mr. Wagner?”

Damn, I really zoned out. I can’t leave him in the lurch though. Guess I am going to be stuck working with him.

“Just let me grab my calendar, Scott.”

The smile that lit up Scott’s face made Charlie pause. Then he realized he had called him Scott instead of Mr. Reeds.

“What dates were you looking at for your literacy program? This way I can make sure I am there for the first ones and can make up flyers to send home so the kids are aware of it.”

“Well, the first one will be on the Saturday of the weekend before Thanksgiving, then the first Saturday of December, and then the third Saturday of December before they leave for Christmas vacation. I hope by then to make so that every other week, as we change the book they can get the discount on we have a reading time, helping parents learn how to read to their children, teaching children to read, and the outreach to adults as well eventually.”

“Sounds a bit ambitious, but it should be doable. I marked the dates down so I will be there. Do you need anything for your assembly later?”

“No, I don’t think so.”

Just then there was a knock on the door and in strolled Samantha. She was all smiles till she spotted Scott and paused.

“I’m sorry, did I interrupt something?”

“We were just meeting about the first grade assembly today. This is Mr. Reeds, the man who is starting the literacy program. Mr. Reeds meet Ms. Webb, she teaches the first grade class in the other wing.”

Charlie watched as Scott moved effortlessly to his feet. He barely seemed to move and he was at Samantha’s side.

“Nice to meet you, Ms. Webb. Mr. Wagner and I were discussing how to intiate the literacy program. I do hope you and your students will enjoy the book reading later.”

“Oh, I didn’t know such a handsome man would be doing the literacy program.”

Charlie turned and stifled a giggle that was threatening to break loose. He watched as Sam put the moves on Scott. Once she’d seen no ring on his finger she had pulled her tight top even lower down. As she listened to Scott she leaned forward so he could look down her blouse. If I wasn’t here to see this I wonder if she would just push him back. At least it is Scott and not me for a change.

As Charlie turned back he found that Scott had managed to lead her to the door.

“I do so hate to cut short our time together, but Mr. Wagner and I only have this short window before his students arrive to get this all settled. I’m sure you understand, Ms. Webb. Perhaps we can discuss your ideas for books at another time.”

Charlie was impressed. Scott had managed to effortlessly guide her out of the room and make it seem like it was her doing. Charlie couldn’t help but think of his mother. Why is it that people of a certain age just seem to be able to do that? Maybe I should date someone older? I might learn a few things from them that way.

“Thanks for nothing, Charlie!” Scott had closed the door and was now watching him.

Charlie finally couldn’t hold the laughter back. He laughed long and hard for a moment before managing to control it. Then he put on his best innocent face.

“I’m sorry? Did you want me to do something?”

“Charlie, you are evil. Why did you let her try to corner me like that?”

“Because, if she was busy with you, Scott, Samantha was leaving me alone.” Charlie giggled for a moment. “Besides, it looks like you were able to handle it.”

Scott’s blue eyes turned almost a stormy gray and narrowed to slits.

“Anyway, the students are due any moment. Did you have anything else you needed?”

Charlie watched and could almost see the wheels turning behind the fury of Scott’s eyes. He also noted the suddenly triumphant smile that crossed the big man’s face.

“Yes, Charlie, there is. Could you be at the book store after work today?”

A sudden cold sweat broke out on Charlie’s neck. Why on God’s green Earth is he asking me to the book store? Is there a graceful way to say no? Damn.

“If you need me to be, I’m sure I can get there. What time?”

“Oh, say around six thirty tonight. I’ll tell you what; I will even make sure you are fed, okay?”

With a sinking feeling in his stomach, Charlie agreed.

“Good. I have to go set up for the students then. I’ll see you later.”

For a moment Charlie was once again caught in those eyes. Damn, just what have I agreed to now?


 

So Scott has asked Charlie to meet him at the bookstore. What will Charlie do? Any comments, questions, or suggestions are as usual welcomed. Those happy points are welcomed too. :)
Copyright © 2011 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 3
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ahem!

Charlie still has NO clue, does he? lol

he just got asked on a date, and he's still blissfully unaware! oh! how i love these souls! ^_^

 

Ummm... i wanna say i'm waiting with bated breath, BUT i think this time, not just you, your editor will arrange a lynch mob after me! :P

so, i'll just say.. When's the next one coming? better NOT take a long time! :P

Link to comment
On 05/29/2011 09:49 AM, Frostina said:
Ahem!

Charlie still has NO clue, does he? lol

he just got asked on a date, and he's still blissfully unaware! oh! how i love these souls! ^_^

 

Ummm... i wanna say i'm waiting with bated breath, BUT i think this time, not just you, your editor will arrange a lynch mob after me! :P

so, i'll just say.. When's the next one coming? better NOT take a long time! :P

Hey don't I get to be like the rest of them and say once a week. lol. Anyway I am glad you are enjoying my tale Frosty. It still has a ways to go but now things start to get serious. Get ready for the next part of the ride.
Link to comment

The question should be What does Scott have planned for Charlie, not What will Charlie do?

GO Scott! Waiting patiently (not) for the next chapter! :2thumbs:

Link to comment
On 05/29/2011 10:37 AM, saintsfan820 said:
The question should be What does Scott have planned for Charlie, not What will Charlie do?

GO Scott! Waiting patiently (not) for the next chapter! :2thumbs:

I am glad you have stayed around and are still enjoying Charlie's story. The ride is about to get interesting. Thanks for the comments and encouragement.
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

LOL! I know Charlie has no idea who the 'customer' was but I do wonder if Mr. Reeds does. If not both of their reactions will be hilarious once they get together with Charlie's family. I really liked this chapter. So tell me... have you come across many of those man hunting women yourself :P You have quite the character going there in Sam. I do like the sound of Mr. Reeds revenge though!

Link to comment
On 06/09/2011 04:14 AM, Cia said:
LOL! I know Charlie has no idea who the 'customer' was but I do wonder if Mr. Reeds does. If not both of their reactions will be hilarious once they get together with Charlie's family. I really liked this chapter. So tell me... have you come across many of those man hunting women yourself :P You have quite the character going there in Sam. I do like the sound of Mr. Reeds revenge though!
Unfortunately, almost all my characters are based off of people I know or knew in composites. Only Barbara is strictly one person. Sam is sort of three in one. lol
Link to comment

yeah...I'm like Charlie in that respect, totally unaware if someone's actually flirting or trying to get closer so I can relate to Charlie well :P

Wonder what will happen at the bookstore hmmm ;)

Link to comment
On 06/15/2011 11:47 PM, Agaith said:
yeah...I'm like Charlie in that respect, totally unaware if someone's actually flirting or trying to get closer so I can relate to Charlie well :P

Wonder what will happen at the bookstore hmmm ;)

Stu you mean all that teasing and you didn't know. :lol: But honestly, Charlie is just that sort of guy. Most things go over his head. He just a sweet heart.
Link to comment

Charlie is so awkward and utterly clueless. It makes him endearing. I like how Scott takes charge of the situation, but how will Charlie react when he figures out that he's on a "date" with Scott?

Link to comment
On 08/12/2011 08:19 AM, K.C. said:
Charlie is so awkward and utterly clueless. It makes him endearing. I like how Scott takes charge of the situation, but how will Charlie react when he figures out that he's on a "date" with Scott?
I'm glad you are enjoying it KC but do you really think I would tell you ahead of time? Read on if you want answers.
Link to comment

Surely one of them must know that the customer was Barbara, right? And I just love Charlie. His awkwardness is actually very cute. The date meeting at the bookstore will be interesting.

Link to comment
On 08/14/2011 07:31 PM, Ramon said:
Surely one of them must know that the customer was Barbara, right? And I just love Charlie. His awkwardness is actually very cute. The date meeting at the bookstore will be interesting.
Oh all of the stuff happening in the background with Barbara comes out eventually. Just wait and see.
Link to comment

:lol: That's it, just :lol:

 

Good thing Charlie didn't giggle like a girlie man when Sam cornered Scott. Clearly Mr. Scott has his eye on a different teacher. But then, that might be awkward too because as we all know Wayne . . . err Charlie, isn't gay, right? :whistle:

Link to comment
On 10/15/2011 08:32 AM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
:lol: That's it, just :lol:

 

Good thing Charlie didn't giggle like a girlie man when Sam cornered Scott. Clearly Mr. Scott has his eye on a different teacher. But then, that might be awkward too because as we all know Wayne . . . err Charlie, isn't gay, right? :whistle:

Sam tries her wiles. Got to give the woman credit. Charlie is a slow learner for a teacher. What can I say?
Link to comment

I KNEW IT! Well I don't know it for certain, but I expect to find out in some later chapter. That mother of is was meddling! The instance with Sam was down right hysterical. Can't blame a girl for trying though.

I had problems with this sentence...

"The tight sweater showed off just how good figure Scott Reeds could cut."

Still not certain what you meant here, but it doesn't really matter. The rest was great! Next chapter!

Link to comment
On 02/11/2012 01:12 AM, MidnightMan said:
I KNEW IT! Well I don't know it for certain, but I expect to find out in some later chapter. That mother of is was meddling! The instance with Sam was down right hysterical. Can't blame a girl for trying though.

I had problems with this sentence...

"The tight sweater showed off just how good figure Scott Reeds could cut."

Still not certain what you meant here, but it doesn't really matter. The rest was great! Next chapter!

Are you saying I was too obvious?
Link to comment

Love this story and the charachters, Charlies mother is my hero. I am so gonna read the entire story tonight thank god it's friday and no work tomorrow :D

Very well written, love your writingstyle :)

Link to comment
On 10/06/2012 04:05 AM, Slytherin said:
Love this story and the charachters, Charlies mother is my hero. I am so gonna read the entire story tonight thank god it's friday and no work tomorrow :D

Very well written, love your writingstyle :)

Uh oh. Why do people always feel they have to read it all in one sitting. Remember to eat and sleep. Trust me, Charlie will still be waiting. :lol:
Link to comment

Hmmmmm, Charlie has a date and does not even realise it yet.

Can't wait for Scott to put a few subtle moves on him or get close enough to heat Charlie up a little:P

 

Great chapter Wayne!

Link to comment
On 11/06/2012 07:59 AM, joann414 said:
Hmmmmm, Charlie has a date and does not even realise it yet.

Can't wait for Scott to put a few subtle moves on him or get close enough to heat Charlie up a little:P

 

Great chapter Wayne!

I have a habit of setting up roadblocks. Face it, life is never as smooth or as wonderful as it is in the movies. Real life is messy and rarely goes as planned, which is what makes it so special. If you really want something you have to work for it.
Link to comment

Oh oh don't think Charlie should have laughed at Scott. don't want to be Julie either when she comes into work later.

Link to comment
On 06/07/2013 10:12 AM, Daithi said:
Oh oh don't think Charlie should have laughed at Scott. don't want to be Julie either when she comes into work later.
Face it, it was funny to see the way Samantha was coming on to him. Charlie just couldn't help himself. Julie has trouble heading her way.
Link to comment

I do love Barbara, she meddling and interfering in Charlie´s life but she knows her son better than he does know himself. The scene with Samantha was funny :gikkle:

Link to comment
On 03/16/2014 05:31 AM, Suvitar said:
I do love Barbara, she meddling and interfering in Charlie´s life but she knows her son better than he does know himself. The scene with Samantha was funny :gikkle:
Most mothers are strange creatures with eyes in the back of their heads and they do know their children, usually better than their kids would like them to.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..