Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 3,347 Words
  • 9,244 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Accidents Happen - 18. Chapter 18 - Lunch and Conversations

So Charlie finally gets his date with Scott. However, he also has to deal with the problems still waiting for him at home. Just what will his date bring? What does Ted have to say about all of this? Rick Junior still needs to come home as well. Read on for more about Charlie and his life.

Chapter 18 – Lunch and Conversations

The restaurant was just opening up for the day as Charlie entered. The place was bright and cheery and the hostess immediately asked where they would like to sit. While Charlie really couldn’t have cared less, Scott asked for a window seat in the corner.

“The view really is beautiful at this time of the year. Don’t you think so, Charlie?”

Charlie looked and noticed that there were no boats left on the water. The bay was almost as clear as glass and small waves seemed to ruffle the surface only near the water’s edge. It was unusual to be so empty but it was also breathtaking.

“Yes, it is an incredible view, Scott.”

“I thought this would be better than simply getting coffee. Besides, this is one of my favorite local restaurants.”

“I was hoping for something, well, a little less … expensive.”

“Charlie, trust me, I wasn’t planning on letting you pay for lunch. “

Charlie stared across the table. Scott seemed totally at ease. He leaned back in his chair, with his cast resting comfortably on the arm of the oversized seat. His sweater hugged his frame and little curls of hair seemed to peek over the top. Charlie watched as Scott raised the water glass and took a sip.

“I told you I would pay for lunch,” Charlie commented.

Scott nearly choked on his water.

“I simply meant -,” began Scott.

“That you wanted this to be our first date and that you would pay,” Charlie cut him off with a smile.

Scott blushed.

It took a while but I think I am finally figuring him out a bit.

“Was I that obvious?”

“Well considering the day I am having, yes, yes you were. Face it, when you start off with a kiss it can’t be because you were just hoping I would return to help out with the program.”

Scott laughed and held up his hand in resignation. A moment later, the waiter arrived to take their drink orders. Both Scott and Charlie still needed time to go over the menu.

“Since this is your favorite restaurant, what would you suggest?”

“Well, this is the lunch menu. What say we order the appetizer special to share and their tuna steaks? They really do make them delicious here.”

“I’m fine with the special, but I’m not a fan of fish.”

“Charlie, if you would rather have a burger, do so, but trust me the tuna is something special here. They season it just right and it melts on your tongue.”

Charlie’s nose crinkled up. Fish? The man really wants me to eat fish? He better know what he is talking about. The things I’m willing to try for people. Charlie forced a smile onto his face as he noticed Scott watching him. The room was slowly filling with people for lunch and Charlie didn’t want to cause a scene.

“Alright, you talked me into it. But I’m warning you, if the fish is bad this might be the last time I follow your advice.”

Charlie watched as Scott’s eyes crinkled while he tried to hold in the laugh. Charlie could only smile. The waiter returned and Scott placed their order. The waiter returned a moment later with their drinks and then they were alone again for awhile.

“So, Scott, tell me about yourself. I mean, I know virtually nothing about you.”

“What would you like to know, Charlie?” Scott leaned back in his chair, his crystal blue eyes twinkling as he waited for Charlie to begin his questioning.

Sure now that I have his complete attention, I’m not sure where to start. How did I do this with Tina? Oh yeah, she did all the talking. What is it I want to know about Scott? Honestly, what don’t I want to know about Scott? But where do I begin? Charlie took a deep breath and just asked anything that popped into his head.

“I guess I should start with your family. Are you an only child? Did you have a good childhood? What things do you enjoy?”

Scott laughed and took a drink of his water before launching into his life history. Charlie learned during the course of their meal that Scott was an only child. His parents were also close in age to Charlie’s but they lived down in Florida now. He paused in his story when the appetizer arrived but soon launched into other parts of his life. He related stories of family vacations, mishaps, and times of fun. He told Charlie he had realized at a fairly young age how he was different from his friends, something that he was able to put a name to when puberty finally hit. By the time he had graduated high school, he had come out to his parents.

“Was it hard for you to tell them?”

“Not really. My mother was never the sort who felt people of any persuasion were beneath her. My father use to tell me that the only thing I needed to fear were the bigots and those people wouldn’t care to hear what anyone said anyway. The two of them are pretty much happy to let me live my life as I want. The only thing I hear from my mother is that I’m getting old, don’t I think I should find someone, settle down, and get busy with giving her grandkids. She doesn’t care if I adopt or use a surrogate as long as she gets them.”

Charlie smiled. Well, I guess I don’t have that fear either. Mom saw me kissing Scott today and she didn’t even bother to raise a fuss. Mom and Dad have had no problem with Rick Junior or Becca, so I know they won’t with me either. Rick, however, well that might be a different story.

Scott watched as Charlie took another bite of his tuna. The plate had nearly been cleaned.

"I guess you liked it," Scott said with a smile.

"Huh?"

"The tuna. You said if you didn't it would be the last time you followed my advice."

Scott blushed. Well it is pretty tasty. I guess he was right.

"The tuna was delicious. Thank you for the suggestion."

Scott was quick to turn the table on Charlie as well. He asked him questions that soon had Charlie telling him all about himself while they awaited their desserts and coffee. His school accident, the sickness as a child, the time when he learned to ride his bike and ran into the fence because he couldn’t figure out the brakes were all spilled out before the coffee arrived. By the time the coffee had been finished Charlie had even told Scott about his relationship with Tina, their last fight, the end of the relationship, and how all of it led to their meeting.

“Gentlemen, will there be anything else?” inquired their waiter. He stood by politely with a coffee pot ready to refill their cups again.

Scott tossed a look at Charlie that clearly asked if he wanted anything else. Charlie just shook his head ‘no’.

“Just the check, please.” Scott said, turning back to Charlie.

“Yes and when you bring it back, I’ll take it. Thank you,” Charlie stated firmly.

“As you wish, Sir.” The waiter smiled and walked off to get their bill.

“Don’t start, Scott. I know what you wanted. Just give me a little time here, okay. I’m …. Well I am not very good at these sorts of things. I’m willing to give this a try, but we have to go slow. I hope … well I hope that is alright?”

“It is okay, Charlie” Scott smiled. “You’ve already given me what I want.”

I hope he means that, that this really is okay. Then Charlie’s face took on a puzzled expression.

“What did I give you?”

“The answer I’ve been waiting for. You are willing to try dating me.” Scott sat back looking like the cat that swallowed the canary.

Charlie was blushing a deep shade of scarlet when the waiter returned with the check. Charlie grabbed it quickly, slid his credit card into the holder and passed it back to the waiter.

“I’ll be right back with your receipt, Sir.”

Charlie nodded at the waiter and tried to get his blush under control. He was just feeling about normal when the waiter returned and Scott chose that moment to wink at Charlie. The blush returned as Charlie looked down, added in a tip for the waiter, and quickly signed his name.

“Thank you, gentlemen. Please, come back soon.”

The walk back to the car was quiet. Charlie was lost in thought with what he had learned about Scott. He honestly likes me. I never thought a guy would be attracted to me and in one day I find out two of them are. However, Scott is really the something else. I have to admit that I’m attracted to him.

Scott drove through the streets and hardly said a word. They pulled up just outside Charlie’s apartment building and he parked nearly in front of the door.

“I’d ask to come up, but I know you probably still have guests,” Scott stated quietly.

Charlie turned and looked at him, unsure of what to say.

“Relax, Charlie. I agree we should take this slow, but I am excited to learn all about you. Today was a nice start.” Then he leaned across and gave Charlie another soul smothering kiss.

Charlie again found himself returning the kiss, but as he went to reach for Scott, the kiss was broken. As he opened his eyes he found Scott sliding out of his door and walking around the car. A moment later, he opened Charlie’s door. Sliding out of the car he looked quizzically at Scott.

“You didn’t have to get my door, you know.”

“Get used to it, Charlie. I plan to spoil you rotten.”

“Hmm. We’ll see about that.”

They walked to the outer door and Scott stopped.

“When can I see you again?”

“I don’t mean to sound like I’m flaking on you, but can I call you at the store and talk about this later?”

Scott looked hurt.

“I promise I’m not backing out. I just have to deal with other issues that came up earlier. When it comes to this, well - I want to be able to focus on it and not be concerned about other problems. Does that make sense?”

Charlie watched as the pained expression slowly faded and a small wry smile appeared again on Scott’s face. God, I love it when that man smiles.

“Okay, Charlie, I can more than understand that. Call me at the store when you get a moment.”

Scott closed the space between them and did his best to hug Charlie with his one arm still in a cast. Charlie took the moment to do something he doubted he would have done normally, and leaned up to kiss Scott on the cheek. Then he turned and hurried into the building.

He paused in front of his door, his heart racing and a deep blush on his cheeks. I kissed Scott. I did it! A small smile was on his face as he opened his door only to find Ted sitting at the table waiting for him.

“I’m glad you are home, Charlie,” Ted said quietly.

“Ted.” I nearly forgot about him. Okay, I better deal with this now.

Charlie walked into his kitchen, emptied the coffee grounds from earlier and refilled the machine. He filled the water up and then set the pot to brew. Then he walked over and sat down across from Ted.

“How are you feeling? How is your hangover?”

“I needed the sleep. I’m … I’m sorry. I didn’t mean … I,” Ted tried to spit out whatever it was he wanted to say, but couldn’t find the words. Charlie reached over and took his hand.

“Ted, you’re my best friend and through college you were my only friend. I love you, care about you, and I need you in my life,” Charlie stated as looked into Ted’s hazel eyes. He could see the pain in them and wished he could help make it go away. He knew that he was the cause and that wasn’t something he enjoyed knowing.

“But I’m just not the guy you want,” Ted said softly. A tear slowly streaked down his face.

“Ted, I think I know you too well. I’ve been there when you were drunk, needed help with homework, or to help you pick out an outfit for your date that evening. Face it; you were the only one dating for a long time.”

“You realize if you had given me any indication that you might go out with me …”

“I don’t even know what I am doing yet. Besides, I wouldn’t have risked our friendship in college. You were what kept me going.”

“But that was college, Charlie. What about now?”

“Ted, please, don’t do this. I’m your friend but I’ve never thought of you that way. You have to realize that today was the first time I am even thinking about dating anyone again.”

“So that guy who was here today, is that who you are dating?”

“I’m thinking of it.”

“Isn’t he kind of old for you?”

“Ted, look I care for you but this is my personal life. I’ve never said a word about yours. I trust you to make your own decisions. Would you please give me the same respect?”

Ted was silent and dropped his gaze. Charlie took a moment and grabbed two new mugs out of the cabinet. He poured both of them a mug of coffee and added the milk. Ted always added enough sugar for three coffees, but Charlie fixed for him anyway.

“Would you like something to eat, Ted?”

“I don’t want to be a bother.”

“You have to eat. How is your head?”

“Splitting.”

Charlie walked over with mug of coffee for Ted. Then went to the cabinet where he kept his spices and pulled out a bottle of Bayer extra-strength. He kept it there for the days he came home from school with a headache. He set the bottle in front of Ted before going to make him something to eat. Charlie popped some bread in the toaster, and then scrambled up two eggs with a little milk. He figured anything heavier would be too much on Ted’s stomach.

“I’m sorry, Charlie.”

Charlie turned to look at Ted who gazed only at the table top in front of him.

“What are you sorry for, Ted? You haven’t done anything wrong.”

“I was being an asshole. I admit it. The alcohol didn’t help matters. I’ve just had a crush on you nearly since we met.”

Some day I am going to have to learn to recognize these things. I mean, I can spot it happening to anyone else but why not me? Poor Ted, I feel like I hurt him.

The toaster took that moment to pop. Charlie used it as an excuse to turn back to the food for a moment. He plated the toast, slid the eggs next to it and grabbed a fork for Ted. He slid the plate in front of Ted and then sat back down.

“I’m sorry I never figured it out Ted. But I do still want you in my life as my best friend. I can’t offer you more. I’m …. well… I’m just not.”

Ted shook his head and began to eat.

The silence between them lengthened till Charlie felt totally uncomfortable. Fuck, this just so isn’t going well.

Ted finished eating before he looked up. He stared at Charlie for a few moments before he spoke again.

“I think that is what attracted me to you most, Charlie. Even as shy as you are, you want to help people. You always have. Even now, after I made a total ass of myself, here you are cooking me food for my hangover, giving me aspirin, and trying to relieve me of the guilt I feel for being such an ass in front of your family. Whoever you end up with better appreciate you, Charlie.”

Charlie blushed. I don’t know what to say. Lord, I feel like an idiot.

Ted got up and gave Charlie a hug.

“Sorry, for making your day so rough. Thank you for being a true friend though.”

Charlie returned the hug.

“Ted, I’m always here for you,” Charlie said softly as Ted stepped away from him.

“I know. I’m going to get going, Charlie. I know I am not the only one you have things to talk over with. I’m just glad I finally told you how I felt.”

“If it helps you, Ted, I do care for you deeply.”

Charlie stood up as Ted moved toward the door.

“I know you do, Charlie. I’m sorry to eat and run, but I should go home and figure out what I need to do next. I promise I’ll call you.”

Without another word, Ted was out the door and Charlie was suddenly alone.

Well, today has been an enlightening experience to say the least. I learned I might be bi; Ted has been in love with me for years, Scott wants me as his boyfriend, and I was outed to my family. Now all I have to do is talk to Rick Junior. God, that poor kid is in a worse spot than I am. I hope he is going to be alright.

Charlie took the rest of the dishes to the sink and began to clean up. Once they were done, he went into the bedroom and stripped the sheets. The room smelled like a mix of sweat and beer. He opened his window wide to air the room out as he took the sheets to the other room to wash. Charlie had just finished making up the bed when he heard a noise in the living room. Walking in, he found Rick sitting on the couch with another guy who looked like he had also been through the mill.

“Oh, I'm sorry Uncle Charlie.”

“Why does everyone keep telling me they are sorry today? I’m the one who is sorry. It seems I interrupted something.”

“No, Unc. This is Wade. Wade, this is my Uncle Charlie.”

“Nice to meet you, Wade. Can I get either of you something to drink? I’m going to get something and then leave you two to talk.”

“I don’t want anything, Unc. Would you like something, Wade?”

“No … no, thank you.” Wade’s voice was soft and cracked as he spoke. As Charlie looked at him, he noticed the split lip, bruised face, and that Wade’s hand was also all wrapped up. This has to be the guy Rick went to go help. God, he looks about my height and all. Charlie felt a shiver run down his back.

“Um, Uncle Charlie, could you, please, sit down. We need someone to talk to who isn’t a cop, a parent, or a councilor. Would you just listen to us?

Charlie looked over and nodded. Okay, I hope I don’t screw this up for them.

So things are about as normal as they have been for Charlie. Now Wade and Rick have something to tell Charlie. The next chapter reveals more details. Comments as always are greatly appreciated as are those happy points. For those who are wondering, yes I really do like to hear from you.
Copyright © 2011 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

oookay, So, how did Charlie like the tuna? :huh: u left us hanging there! :P

 

and Wade and Rick Jr? :P another sweet couple? ^_^ i hope so! :D

I do like Scott some more! :D '...spil you rotten.' ^_^ lol

Link to comment
On 07/06/2011 08:41 AM, Frostina said:
oookay, So, how did Charlie like the tuna? :huh: u left us hanging there! :P

 

and Wade and Rick Jr? :P another sweet couple? ^_^ i hope so! :D

I do like Scott some more! :D '...spil you rotten.' ^_^ lol

Well they did finally end up going out. See a simple meal and time alone getting to know one another. No fights, problems, or anything else. :) Time will tell on Wade and Rick Jr. I refuse to spill the beans before it is time. :P Glad you are still reading and enjoying it Frosty.
Link to comment

Wade? I was hoping it would be Ted, but who knows what you have planned. So Charlie enjoyed the meal that Scott ordered, wondering what else Scott suggests that Charlie might enjoy hmmm? Charlie thinking he might be Bi, that's an interesting thought right there, but I don't think so! Just for the simple fact that Charlie took the bull by the horns and suggested going out for coffee& then kissed him goodbye in the car. He never did that with Tina, she always seemed to make the first move and he always left the decisions up to her. Looking forward to the next chapter, please make it soon :2thumbs:

Link to comment
On 07/06/2011 10:13 AM, saintsfan820 said:
Wade? I was hoping it would be Ted, but who knows what you have planned. So Charlie enjoyed the meal that Scott ordered, wondering what else Scott suggests that Charlie might enjoy hmmm? Charlie thinking he might be Bi, that's an interesting thought right there, but I don't think so! Just for the simple fact that Charlie took the bull by the horns and suggested going out for coffee& then kissed him goodbye in the car. He never did that with Tina, she always seemed to make the first move and he always left the decisions up to her. Looking forward to the next chapter, please make it soon :2thumbs:
Thanks for the kind words and the review Saintsfan. Remember, Charlie is also coming into his own so he isn't so shy. His life is making him grow up and begin to look at all parts of his life. Tina would have been able to get him to marry her if she hadn't forced him to really look at himself. Now Scott is making him do the same. Charlie will get it all eventually. Hope you continue to enjoy the story. :)
Link to comment

Charlie is having another one of those days, where you don't know whether to dance for joy or howl with frustration. At least his best friend seems to accept the situation. His nephew and Wade may be another can of worms. Scott is making all the right moves and giving Charlie time. Hopefully, they will take it slow and enjoy getting to know each other.

Link to comment
On 07/06/2011 11:27 AM, Daddydavek said:
Charlie is having another one of those days, where you don't know whether to dance for joy or howl with frustration. At least his best friend seems to accept the situation. His nephew and Wade may be another can of worms. Scott is making all the right moves and giving Charlie time. Hopefully, they will take it slow and enjoy getting to know each other.
Actually for Charlie it is still the same day. He is just cleaning up going from morning to night. This will be one of those days, that when it is all over he is just going to pass out cold. Glad you are still with me and enjoying the tale. :)
Link to comment

I hope you add more chapters soon. I like the whirlwind of change that Charlie is caught up in. more please

Link to comment
On 07/07/2011 01:01 AM, sojourn said:
I hope you add more chapters soon. I like the whirlwind of change that Charlie is caught up in. more please
I'm glad you are enjoying it all. I post faithfully once a week Sojourn. We are a little past the half way point. Glad you like Charlie's life. :)
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I am really enjoying this story. It seems 'real' you know? Things happening, ups and downs, drama without being overly done. I always enjoy stories that can give me that feeling. I think my main complaint is that the chapters are too short. You do seem to leave them at natural breaks but I still feel like we are getting things in dribs and drabs. That's why I keep waiting for more to post before I read.

Link to comment
On 07/13/2011 03:14 AM, Cia said:
I am really enjoying this story. It seems 'real' you know? Things happening, ups and downs, drama without being overly done. I always enjoy stories that can give me that feeling. I think my main complaint is that the chapters are too short. You do seem to leave them at natural breaks but I still feel like we are getting things in dribs and drabs. That's why I keep waiting for more to post before I read.
Sorry Cia, I don't honestly mean to make it seem like drips and drabs. Actually the chapters keep getting longer as I go along and I am trying to fill in the gaps as I write. I am glad the story seems real because I wasn't out to remake the genre just put my own stamp on it.
Link to comment
On 08/12/2011 08:45 AM, K.C. said:
Jeez, you know how to keep a guy on the edge of their seat.
You make it sound like I am writing a thriller or something. This is just the day to day life. You have the good, the bad, the ugly, and everything in between.
Link to comment

Good F'ing grief, you should have called the Mostly uneventful life of Charlie Wagner that suddenly turned upside down and round about :P

 

Dagnabbit I'm wrong again, gotta toss the stupid turban away, it's never right. So Ricky and Wade, but no Ted, :/ Poor ted, he can't get a Wagner if he feel on one, can he? 0:)

Link to comment
On 10/15/2011 12:41 PM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
Good F'ing grief, you should have called the Mostly uneventful life of Charlie Wagner that suddenly turned upside down and round about :P

 

Dagnabbit I'm wrong again, gotta toss the stupid turban away, it's never right. So Ricky and Wade, but no Ted, :/ Poor ted, he can't get a Wagner if he feel on one, can he? 0:)

No. NO Ted for a Wagner. Just not in the cards, Andy. Don't worry, I don't forget Ted. Keep reading.
Link to comment

I'm fighting sleep again. I shouldn't have gotten up at 4:30 this morning. Not to say that the story isn't absolutely captivating, I'm just sleep deprived today. I'm going to get through at least one more chapter if it kills me! Nothing to complain about, and I'm glad were getting some closure here even with Charlie's world in such turmoil.

Link to comment
On 02/11/2012 04:02 AM, MidnightMan said:
I'm fighting sleep again. I shouldn't have gotten up at 4:30 this morning. Not to say that the story isn't absolutely captivating, I'm just sleep deprived today. I'm going to get through at least one more chapter if it kills me! Nothing to complain about, and I'm glad were getting some closure here even with Charlie's world in such turmoil.
I appreciate anyone taking the time to read and comment. However, you need rest so go get some. Charlie will still be here. Trust me. :)
Link to comment

Charlie has got to run out of steam sooner or later, and run for the woods. lol

 

I certainly hope that he can help Rick Jr. though. Seems like he needs support and a good friend and he has that in charlie.

 

On to next

Link to comment
On 11/06/2012 09:02 AM, joann414 said:
Charlie has got to run out of steam sooner or later, and run for the woods. lol

 

I certainly hope that he can help Rick Jr. though. Seems like he needs support and a good friend and he has that in charlie.

 

On to next

With the Wagners, Charlie never has to worry, someone is always going to want his help. Luckily, Charlie takes after Barbara.
Link to comment

Haha so the day isn't quite over yet huh?. Considering just how old he is and literally falling on his ass when he starts realizing things he has quite remarkably taken things in his stride. Truthfully how many people. Realize there gay and out themselves all within minutes and then calmly work thru the day.

Link to comment
On 06/07/2013 11:42 AM, Daithi said:
Haha so the day isn't quite over yet huh?. Considering just how old he is and literally falling on his ass when he starts realizing things he has quite remarkably taken things in his stride. Truthfully how many people. Realize there gay and out themselves all within minutes and then calmly work thru the day.
I don't know if he handled it exactly calmly. He just knew if he didn't do something his mother would take over, and while Barbara can be a sweet heart, she can also roll right over you if you aren't careful.
Link to comment

Charlie is handling quite nicely realising he likes men and had a date with Scott :wub: He is very calm about everything.

Link to comment
On 03/16/2014 07:26 AM, Suvitar said:
Charlie is handling quite nicely realising he likes men and had a date with Scott :wub: He is very calm about everything.
Consider this the calm before the storm.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..