Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 1,681 Words
  • 12,838 Views
  • 34 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Accidents Happen - 2. Chapter 2 - After the rain

As day follows night, Charlie has to get out to face the world. But what happens when you are so caught up in your mind that you fail to realize what is happening around you?

Chapter 2 – After the rain

 

The rain had ended shortly before Charlie ran out the door. He found the warm shower water did what the whole night couldn’t, make him tired. He had nearly fallen asleep standing up in the shower when the warm water ran out, and ice-cold water pelted him in the face. Climbing out quickly, he noticed his alarm clock through the open door and realized he was going to be late if he didn’t move immediately.

Charlie’s brown hair lay in curls around his head; he had no time to comb it into submission today. He didn’t feel like shaving, and with as slow as his beard and mustache grew, he doubted anyone would even notice. Like a blind man, he simply reached into his closet and pulled out a dress shirt and a dark pair of slacks. He didn’t even bother looking for a tie. He rushed from the bedroom to his dining area while still dressing, there papers still lay strewn across the table. Tossing his student’s projects back into his satchel, Charlie grabbed his wallet off the counter and raced out the door.

As he raced down the street toward the bus stop, his stomach began to growl.

“Well,” Charlie said angrily to himself, “that is what I get for skipping meals.”

If things had gone like normal, right about now Tina would be driving him across town with a cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee in one hand, and bagel with cream cheese in the other. The sudden thought brought forth tears he couldn’t handle at the moment. He began rushing forward without really looking where he was headed.

“Whoa, kid, watch it,” came one grunted response at Charlie’s suddenly rapid walk.

“Hey, you nearly knocked me over,” was spat in his direction as well.

Hearing how upset people were at him caused Charlie to move further and further away from the crowds, and deeper into himself. The only thing that kept him moving was the desire to see his students, who would almost magically make his mood lighter. Feeling the tears forming, he refused to let them fall. Pulling himself up he paused for moment. The crowds on the street surged around and past his small frame on their way to live their own lives.

“I’ve been through worse,” he muttered as he moved forward.

In some respects, Charlie had been through worse, much worse. He was the youngest of four children, but in most people’s minds he had been an only child. When Charlie was born his parents thought they were already finished with that part of their lives. At the time of his birth, Charlie’s oldest brother, Rick, was twenty-seven and had just had his second child. He was in construction and worked long and hard in all sorts of weather. Maria, his sister, had just finished her Masters of Fine Art in painting. At twenty-six, Maria had found a job restoring the artwork at a small museum just outside of Boston.

Bobby, Charlie’s youngest brother, was twenty, and about to finish college at the time of his birth. As his parents, Barbara and Joseph Wagner, were planning what to do with an empty house, things took a dramatic turn. Originally the two had been talking of selling their large home on Long Island, and moving into a condo, but that changed when Barbara discovered she was pregnant. When she began to show, and people realized she was having a child, she smiled and joked. Usually it started with one of her friends staring at her, unable to broach the subject of her rather dramatic weight gain.

“No, I’m not getting fat,” was how Barbara usually began her announcement while shaking her head and smiling. “Joe and I had been celebrating the last of our children about to graduate college and we had an accident. Oops, what can I tell you,” she would burst out laughing, “but this is the kind of accident one is always very happy to have happen.”

“Oh, Barbara I’m so happy for you.”

“Not as happy as I am. This baby is our happy accident.”

So as Barbara prepared to turn forty-seven, she also readied for the birth of her fourth child. Joe converted Maria’s old room into a nursery and Rick’s room became a library-office for him and Barbara. Charlie ended up growing up alone in the house with his parents.

Holidays saw the house crowded with people. Some of his nieces and nephews were older than he was, and his siblings occasionally babysat Charlie, along with their own children. Maria had married shortly after Charlie’s birth and added her daughter to the baby crowd. Bobby and his girlfriend didn’t get married, but they did end up with twins. So Charlie’s family was very large when they got together. There was always a lot of hugging and kissing but he had a hard time relating to his older siblings as he grew up due to such an age difference and was treated almost as one of their own children. There was little, though, for Charlie to complain about because everyone was always supportive.

Things probably wouldn’t have ever been too bad for Charlie if his first year in elementary school had gone well. However two things that year forced major changes on him.

“I want to go now,” yelled Tony.

“But, it isn’t your turn,” said Charlie as he prepared to go across the wooden walkway to the slide. Most of the class had already had their turn and Charlie waited patiently so he could take his. “It’s my turn on the slide,” called Charlie happily as he started across when Nita had finished crossing.

Tony wasn’t the sort of kid to wait for anything. When he wanted something he usually just took it. Seeing that Charlie wasn’t going to let him go first he walked up behind Charlie and kicked him.

“Owwwwwww. Stop it, Tony. It is my turn!” Charlie looked back and scowled. Seeing Tony getting ready to kick him again, he turned and punched him. Tony stopped and just looked daggers at Charlie. Turning, he finished going to the slide when suddenly he felt a push from behind, and flew out into the dirt. He came down hard landing on his arm and screamed. The teacher rushed to his side. The push had sent him into the hard ground and he had broken his arm. He ended up missing a week of school.

Charlie didn’t like school as much once Tony had broken his arm. At first it was cool when everyone wanted to sign his cast, but he was behind in work and hated that. It seemed like forever till the cast was off, but it was closer to about six weeks. In fact the cast came off the week after Halloween. Then, the flu had hit the area with coming of fall. Parents had been warned to get the flu vaccination, but there just wasn’t enough of it to around immediately. Charlie got it as it started to go through the whole elementary school.

“Mrs. Wagner the flu is attacking his whole body. It has gone from bronchitis to pneumonia. He has lost a lot weight as well. We have him on antibiotics for now.”

Charlie had heard the doctor talking to his parents. He was so weak he couldn’t even open his eyes. He didn’t understand it all but he knew it wasn’t good.

“Oh god. Is this my fault? I mean because I was so much older when I had him. None of the other kids ever got this sick,” cried Barbara.

“Hush, Barb. You know it has nothing to do with you,” Joe said as he pulled his wife closer. “What can we do to help Charlie?”

“I’m afraid there isn’t much you can do. We just have to wait and see how he responds. However, if you feel like saying a prayer, medically there isn’t anything else I can prescribe.”

“This isn’t right, Joe,” Barbara cried into her husband’s shoulder. “This is like some horrible dream or some sort of terrible accident. Poor Charlie, my poor baby.” Barbata broke down into sobs as Joe slowly consoled her. Holding her tight he looked across the room to where his son was hooked up to so many machines.

Charlie lay there listening. He couldn’t speak with the tube in his mouth, and he couldn’t open his eyes. His eyelids felt like they weighed a ton. Instead he thought about his mother. He had heard the doctor and he knew something was wrong but he felt it was his job to make it better. It took time but eventually he opened his eyes. Later the tube was removed, and after nearly three weeks in the hospital he was finally released to go home. However, because his body hadn’t totally healed he ended finishing first grade at home with a private tutor. When he returned to the school the next year Charlie was at the top of his class, but he had missed the opportunity to make the friendships his classmates had. From then on he was always the outsider, and unless someone went out of the way to include him, Charlie stayed solitary.

Charlie was lost in his thoughts. He kept thinking about the past, his students, his parents, and just about anything to keep his mind off the pain he was presently dealing with. He was so absorbed with it that he didn’t even hear the voice calling out to him.

“Hey! Hey, kid. Watch out! Kid,” came a loud deep voice from behind him.

Charlie just kept walking without really paying attention until he was suddenly ripped off his feet. Then, he heard the blaring of a car horn as he slowly fell backwards and noticed the dark coat of the person who pushed him out of the way. As Charlie fell he realized the person in dark coat had to have been hit by the car he almost walked in front of.

As usual any comments are most welcomed. There is a page for this story. If you don't feel like leaving comments please do so there.
Copyright © 2011 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



So, enter Mr dark coat :P

 

I like the flow of your words. Nothing seems rushed and the way you presented Charlies family history and some of his childhood background was woven in nicely. Really easy read and I'm waiting for more. :D

Link to comment
On 03/31/2011 05:54 AM, Marzipan said:
So, enter Mr dark coat :P

 

I like the flow of your words. Nothing seems rushed and the way you presented Charlies family history and some of his childhood background was woven in nicely. Really easy read and I'm waiting for more. :D

Thank you so much. Glad it is all making sense. I wanted to make sure Charlie wasn't a "wimp" with no reason for his actions. Sometimes the truth becomes apparent if you are willing to wait for it. Thanks for continuing to read and comment. Means the world to me.
Link to comment

Wow! what a way to finish a chapter! Enter a mysterious stranger!! :D :D Dark coat!! Colours do play an important role.. don't they?

 

Good to know what brought about the extreme shyness in such an adorable person! :) Looking forward to reading more :)

Link to comment
On 04/02/2011 12:31 PM, Frostina said:
Wow! what a way to finish a chapter! Enter a mysterious stranger!! :D :D Dark coat!! Colours do play an important role.. don't they?

 

Good to know what brought about the extreme shyness in such an adorable person! :) Looking forward to reading more :)

Colors, weather, and food can all help create moods. Glad to know that the reasons behind Charlie's shyness is understood. Means I haven't hurt my little guy by not explaining things correctly. Thanks for reading and commenting. It means a lot to me.
Link to comment

I don't like the word wimp, I don't see Charlie that way. But he is still letting life affect him to a greater degree, than his own will. So far these accidents (except his birth) seem to have been detrimental to Charlie's welfare. This last accident, will it continue this theme or is this encounter the lucky kind of accident.?

Link to comment

Yikes!

 

Wish I could say something smart like Sam, lol, but he's already got that covered. So yeah, I got to the end and thought "yikes!" :P. Good chapter ending, leaves us wanting more.

Link to comment
On 04/02/2011 01:22 PM, Foster said:
I don't like the word wimp, I don't see Charlie that way. But he is still letting life affect him to a greater degree, than his own will. So far these accidents (except his birth) seem to have been detrimental to Charlie's welfare. This last accident, will it continue this theme or is this encounter the lucky kind of accident.?
Charlie isn't really a wimp. Chapter 3 shows he can take charge and do what needs to be done. He is just not use to doing so, but then again how many people know how strong they really are until faced with some sort of emergency.
Link to comment
On 04/03/2011 11:26 AM, Sara Alva said:
Yikes!

 

Wish I could say something smart like Sam, lol, but he's already got that covered. So yeah, I got to the end and thought "yikes!" :P. Good chapter ending, leaves us wanting more.

Glad you want more because I have more story to tell. Don't worry about saying something smart, just say something good or bad. Lets me know people are reading and where I need to tweak and where it is good.
Link to comment

I really liked the way you describe what happened in the past. You flow easily from present to past tense and I don't find myself jarred at all. You;ve gone a long way to explain why Charlie is as he is, And what and end!!!

Link to comment
On 04/19/2011 05:17 PM, Nephylim said:
I really liked the way you describe what happened in the past. You flow easily from present to past tense and I don't find myself jarred at all. You;ve gone a long way to explain why Charlie is as he is, And what and end!!!
Well glad it all is making sense. I know things need to be explained and sometimes allowing Charlie to show you is a lot easier. Memory can be a wonderful thing. Thanks for the comments.
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Okay, so I'm lame. I HATE waiting for updates but I seem to be able to put a story down for a while and then wait so I can read several chapters at once. So you'll get a lot of reviews in chunks from me because I really like this story. ;) It was really interesting to find out about Charlie's back story and it definitely explained part of his psyche. But even in just 2 chapters you have made him such a complex character we can tell he has sooo much more to tell us before we can see how he came to be who and how he is. I'm also very interested in Mr. Dark Coat. Will Charlie get the chance to save his savior? Hmm... on to chapter 3, yay for not having to wait!!

Link to comment
On 04/20/2011 01:27 AM, Cia said:
Okay, so I'm lame. I HATE waiting for updates but I seem to be able to put a story down for a while and then wait so I can read several chapters at once. So you'll get a lot of reviews in chunks from me because I really like this story. ;) It was really interesting to find out about Charlie's back story and it definitely explained part of his psyche. But even in just 2 chapters you have made him such a complex character we can tell he has sooo much more to tell us before we can see how he came to be who and how he is. I'm also very interested in Mr. Dark Coat. Will Charlie get the chance to save his savior? Hmm... on to chapter 3, yay for not having to wait!!
Cia, I never worry if someone does one chapter at a time or saves them up and goes all at once. I am just grateful people seem to be enjoying it and commenting on it as well.
Link to comment

wow poor Charlie, fate can be cruel and it dealt Charlie a crap hand. Looking forward to chapter 3 :)

Link to comment
On 06/14/2011 09:58 PM, Agaith said:
wow poor Charlie, fate can be cruel and it dealt Charlie a crap hand. Looking forward to chapter 3 :)
Charlie has had his moments. It helped to define him. I don't think you will find he complains about what he has been through. Charlie just picks up and keeps going. Especially with his family.
Link to comment

Nice set up for Charlie. He's a sad sort of fella but not pathetic. I like him. He needs to get his head out of the clouds or he's going to be 6 feet under.

Link to comment
On 08/11/2011 06:13 AM, K.C. said:
Nice set up for Charlie. He's a sad sort of fella but not pathetic. I like him. He needs to get his head out of the clouds or he's going to be 6 feet under.
Yeah poor Charlie is sort of upset and not paying attention but don't worry the story picks up quickly from there.
Link to comment

Although it sets the table for what is to come - or so I assume - there was a bit too much narrative here - then again what do I know, I don't know what's coming next :P

 

So the board is set and the players announced, - almost - let the show begin? :whistle:

Link to comment
On 10/14/2011 09:01 AM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
Although it sets the table for what is to come - or so I assume - there was a bit too much narrative here - then again what do I know, I don't know what's coming next :P

 

So the board is set and the players announced, - almost - let the show begin? :whistle:

Don't worry Andy, I have a lot of talking heads later on. But I do try to keep the story moving right along. Hopefully you will find each person has their own distinct character.
Link to comment

I have to agree with the above. The way you glide from present to past is awesome. It fits. One half of me feels sorry for Charlie, the other half wants to kick his butt. Cant wait to read about dark coat too. Again nice chapter Comic .......reading on :hug:

Link to comment
On 01/08/2012 11:28 PM, Mark92 said:
I have to agree with the above. The way you glide from present to past is awesome. It fits. One half of me feels sorry for Charlie, the other half wants to kick his butt. Cant wait to read about dark coat too. Again nice chapter Comic .......reading on :hug:
I am glad you enjoyed Charlie's story. I reaLly worked at it.
Link to comment

Retro reviews.... I should have done this after I finished chapter 2. Instead I'm doing it now. Well... because I can... and didn't have the forethought to do it when I finished it about 20 minutes ago. I kinda wanna kick Charlie in the nuts. Grow a SPINE man!

Maybe that will come in future chapters... perhaps it's already there. I'll find out soon!

Link to comment
On 02/10/2012 04:12 PM, MidnightMan said:
Retro reviews.... I should have done this after I finished chapter 2. Instead I'm doing it now. Well... because I can... and didn't have the forethought to do it when I finished it about 20 minutes ago. I kinda wanna kick Charlie in the nuts. Grow a SPINE man!

Maybe that will come in future chapters... perhaps it's already there. I'll find out soon!

Aww. Poor Charlie. He so isn't an alpha dog. But give him time, he does have teeth.
Link to comment
On 09/23/2012 02:08 PM, Billy Martin said:
I have to agree with ALL the good comments Wayne. :)
Aww. You don't have to worry about reading this Billy. It is sort of time consuming from what my readers have told me.
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..