Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 5,738 Words
  • 7,937 Views
  • 24 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Accidents Happen - 21. Chapter 21 - And a Time to Give Thanks

So we pick up the day before Thanksgiving and go. Scott finally meets all the Wagners. Rick Sr is finally filled in on who is dating who. Time to enjoy a nice family get together. What could go wrong?

Chapter 21 – And a Time to Give Thanks

Charlie sat watching the students pack up the last of their stuff for the long holiday weekend. School was only a partial day today and the kids were due to be let out at one this afternoon. They were all enjoying the short day and couldn’t wait to go home. The class had already had its Thanksgiving story and party so they were really hyper. The best news though was their last class of the day was art so he had a break. The students were packing so that when the art teacher brought them back they could go right out to the bus. Miss Young arrived with a smile on her face, and waited till all the children had calmed down before speaking.

“Okay class, it is time for another project. Line up, please.”

Charlie watched as his students slowly lined up and then they were led down the hallway toward the art room. Once the kids were gone he kicked into high gear cleaning up the room and preparing for the holiday weekend. He tucked away papers, tossed out old information, and cleaned his desk out. Then made sure there were no last minute projects that still had to be graded. His students weren’t the only ones who didn’t want any homework over the vacation. He had just finished wiping off the student’s desks with Lysol when there was a knock on the door.

“Charlie, can I come in?”

Great, Samantha, just what I need! We are about to go on vacation and everything is done. What could she possibly want from me?

“Sure, Samantha, come on in.”

“Thanks, Charlie. I was just sort of stopping by. I understand the first session for the literacy class went well.”

“Yes, it did. Mr. Reeds has a knack for finding interesting books to work with. I had just a few students from my class go to the first one but word of mouth is getting a nice buzz going so I think the second might be even better.” Charlie stood smiling but saw something was definitely on Samantha’s mind.

“Charlie …,” she began but paused. Whatever Samantha wanted to say or ask seemed to die on her lips.

“What is it Sam?”

“Well it has to do with the literacy program. Did you or Mr. Reeds do anything special with the kids?”

“Not that I can think of. Mr. Reeds read his story to the kids. I passed out worksheets to the parents to help them encourage the children to use the words they were learning. Oh, Mr. Reeds did offer a bonus to the child who could correctly answer what a vocabulary word was. He gave the winner a bookmark that had horses on it, I think. Why?”

“That had to be Amanda,” Samantha stated almost to herself. She seemed to be lost in thought.

“Is everything alright, Sam?”

“It’s just that I have tried all year to get one of my students,you met Amanda, to talk. She has been painfully shy. However, the last three days Amanda has been walking around talking and using vocabulary I am not used to hearing from a first grader. I was afraid she might have to be tested but now I realize I just might not have been reaching her.”

Charlie was shocked. Wow. I’ve never seen Samantha doubt herself about anything. She is usually walking around like she has it all in hand. Now she is showing signs of being human. Who would have thought?

“Are you alright, Sam?”

Charlie watched as Samantha took a deep breath and then seemed to concentrate.

“I wonder if I were to challenge the class daily with some special word or project if maybe it might reach more of them.”

“I’m not sure. I think it comes down to what you really want to do for your class, Sam. Are you going to go too far one way because you didn’t reach one and maybe lose the rest? If, I think you said her name was Amanda, needs a challenge why not start looking for books or projects that would benefit her and other students who are bored by the normal work? Find something for them to do after the normal work while others are finishing up. Something that will help them stay focused and advance. Then you might suggest they be tested later on for possible advancement. Sound good to you?”

“Funny, Charlie. Usually it would be me giving the new guy suggestions, not the other way around. Guess we all need to be reminded now and then. Thanks.”

Charlie smiled. This is what he liked about teaching, sharing ideas and techniques to help the students succeed. Samantha Webb might be on the prowl but now he realized she was also a caring teacher.

“Oh, before I forget, I have two of the local businesses signed on to make donations. There is a new restaurant on Main Street. They are going to contribute four tickets for a complete meal and dessert. The other that has signed on is a little toy store on Railroad Avenue. They are giving two twenty dollar certificates to the store. I have a call into one of the school’s silent supporters. I believe they might be able to get a family four pack of tickets to the Christmas show at the theater as well.”

“Wow, you have been busy, Sam! Thank you so much for the help. I’ll let Mr. Reeds know when I talk to him.”

“I’m sure you will,” Samantha said as she walked out with a wink at him.

I wonder if she knows I’m dating him. If she does, then the whole school does. It is too late to worry about any of that now.

Charlie had just put the last of the class supplies away when Miss Young arrived with the class. They were bouncing and ready to go home when the final announcements were made over the loud speaker. Soon they were lined up for the final time and Charlie took them out and put them all on the buses. Just like the students, the teachers seemed to race back to their classrooms, grab their belongings and head out for their vacations.

Damn, I really don’t feel like dealing with a whole pumpkin to make pie. I’m going to stop and buy a can of pumpkin and I’ll give Mom the one I bought to use as part of her cornucopia.

Charlie made a quick run into Waldbaum’s to get his pumpkin. Feeling in a good mood he grabbed a couple of cans in case he felt like making something else as well. He was heading toward the checkout when he heard his name being called.

“Charlie Wagner! Charlie, please, wait.”

Charlie turned and found Tina rushing toward him. It had been the first time he had seen her since the break up. He noticed her black hair was a little longer and she had added some red highlights to it. She was wearing the brown leather coat he bought her last year for Christmas and some oversized sweater he had never seen before. In her arm was a grocery basket with just a can of cranberry sauce.

“Umm, hi Tina. How are you?”

“Hanging in there, Charlie.”

I really don’t know what to tell her. I didn’t want to upset her when we broke up. I wonder why she came after me now.

“Good. I’m … I’m glad you are doing well. Are you ready for Thanksgiving?”

“I’m going to see my parents, thanks. I guess you are cooking a pie this year,” Tina said as she pointed to his cans of pumpkin.

“Yeah, you know how it is. Mom asks everyone to make something. I got the pie this year.”

The two stood uncomfortably for a few minutes. The gulf between them seemed enormous and neither one really knew what to say.

“I … well I wanted to make sure you were okay, Charlie. I needed to see it and let you know that I am … I’m going with Ted now.”

“Congratulations, Tina. I’m glad you have found someone.”

“You know I mean your old roommate, right?”

“Yes. Ted stopped by and talked to me not long ago.”

“He just got hired as part time disc jockey for BWC. He will have the midnight to six am slot on three days a week to start. That and going out for all the giveaways and stuff. “

“Ted didn’t tell me that. Congratulate him for me, will you.”

“Sure.”

Charlie realized this wouldn’t get much easier if she was going to be a part of Ted’s life now. They would still run into each other and they needed to allow their past to rest if they were going to have a friendship in the future.

“Please, take care of yourself. I’ll talk to you soon. The three of us will have to get together so you can fill me in on what is happening in both your lives.”

Tina looked up surprised to hear Charlie talking like this.

“Did you just make plans for the three of us to go out?”

“I guess I did,” Charlie said with a smile.

“I’m not sure what is happening to you, Charlie, but I am glad we can still talk to each other.”

“Tina, you were my first love. You will always be special to me.”

Tina’s eyes began to tear.

“I have some things to get, Charlie. I will talk to you soon.” Tina began to wave as she headed off into one of the closest aisles and vanished from sight. Charlie took a breath and then got in line to pay for his cans of pumpkin.

Once he was home he decided he really needed to work out some stress so he showered quick and then headed into the kitchen. Deciding to cheat a bit with the pie, he grabbed a premade crust out of the fridge and then began to gather his ingredients. He relaxed as he thought about what had happened with Tina. I can be friends with her and Ted. I hope they can both move past what they had envisioned with me and redefine things for themselves. Now, what am I going to do about the family tomorrow? Poor Scott doesn’t know what he is in for.

“Damn, where did I put the vanilla?” Charlie muttered as he went back to his cabinet to find it.

He was just about to measure it out when the phone rang.

“Hello,” Charlie called into the phone distracted.

“Hey, Charlie, I'm glad I caught you at home. I’m just calling because I didn’t know what time to come over to get you tomorrow.”

“Crap. I’m sorry, Scott. I really meant to call you earlier and let you know all the details. You have a choice. I told my mom that I would be there early to help her get set up and that I’d be there by eight in the morning. The rest of the family and guests will be there at the house near one. So it’s up to you, Scott, you can come with me early in the morning and lend a hand, or you can come later to just enjoy the meal with the family.”

“Okay, Charlie. I’ll see you at seven. Love you.”

Charlie stood for a moment looking at the phone. Did he just say he loves me?

Charlie went back into the kitchen and finished up the pumpkin pie. He immediately washed up the dishes. Still feeling out of sorts he went back to his recipe box and decided he would make pumpkin bread as well. He laid out the new ingredients and was soon deeply involved in getting it together.

Scott said he loves me. How do I feel about that? The man told me he loves me and to be honest I like that a lot. I just didn’t feel this way with Tina. Funny she should show up again just before Scott tells me how he feels. The two of them are so different. He didn’t drag me around behind him and just expect me to follow and get mad because he wants me to lead. Scott has been letting me take this at my own pace. He steps in when I need him but otherwise he has been really gentle about the whole thing. God, I hope the family likes him.

“Damn, now where the hell did I put that bread pan,” muttered Charlie as he finished up the mixture for the bread. Finally spotting the bread pan sitting on the edge of the counter he walked over to grab it. “Better get your head together, Charlie, or you are going to end up burning or messing these up.”

Once the bread was ready, Charlie wandered around putting everything away. He was nearly done cleaning up when the stove timer went off letting him know the pumpkin pie was done. Sliding the pie plate onto a wire rack to cool, Charlie adjusted the temperature on the stove and then slid the bread in to cook.

Deciding his day had been long enough Charlie ordered out for dinner. He had just pulled the bread from the oven when there was a knock on the door and his supper was delivered. Knowing tomorrow would be a long day; Charlie ate and headed off to bed.

 

 

Charlie had just finished getting dressed when he heard his doorbell ring. Rushing out to the living room he looked through the peep hole and found Scott already there.

“Morning,” called Charlie as he opened the door for Scott.

“I brought coffee and coffee rolls.”

“Bless you. I was running late this morning.”

Scott set down his packages and watched as Charlie took the pumpkin pie out of the fridge and wrapped it up.

“There are paper plates in the end cabinet, Scott.”

Scott grabbed the paper plates while Charlie removed the bread from the pan and wrapped it up as well. Then he placed both items in a plastic bag so it was ready to take with him.

“All set, Charlie?”

“Yup.”

The two sat down and began to snack on the coffee rolls.

“So, what am I in for?” Scott asked as Charlie took a sip of his coffee.

Charlie nearly choked on his coffee as he began to laugh.

“Well you met my mother already. My father is a lot more low key and doesn’t like to get into everything like my mom does. There is my oldest brother, Richard, and his wife, Tonya. You have already met their youngest, Rick Junior. They also have a daughter, Kristina. Their oldest is William.”

“Yeah, well Rick is a cutie.”

“Hmm. So you like them even younger than me huh?” Charlie said sarcastically. Scott laughed out loud and shook his head no. Charlie took a sip of his coffee and finished off his coffee roll before continuing.

“Well Maria is next. She married and started her family just as I was born. Her daughter Joan is just a few months younger. Maria’s husband Nate, works as a writer and has a column up in Boston. That whole family seems to be the talented branch.”

“Wow, so nearly everyone has kids?”

“Funny you should ask that. Bobby was the baby in the family before I was born. He married his high school sweetheart, Jeanette, and they had twins, Kathy and Rebecca.”

“You have one large family, Charlie. I hope I can keep them all straight.”

“Don’t worry, Scott. There won’t be a quiz later on. You will get to know them and their mates or various friends as the day goes on. Speaking of getting on, we better move before we are late. If I end up screwing up my mother’s time table for dinner, forget the turkey, she’ll cook my goose.”

The drive over to the house was filled with small talk and stories of Scott’s Thanksgivings with his own family. They shared some laughs and Charlie was feeling comfortable as they pulled up in front of the house. As they got out of the car, Charlie noticed the large bag in the back of Scott’s car.

“What the hell do you have in there all?”

“Umm,” began Scott with a blush to his cheeks.

“Scott, what did you do?”

“I told you I never go anywhere without bringing something. I did make the ambrosia but I also brought a centerpiece for your mother. I mean what woman doesn’t like flowers.”

“No smart woman will ever turn down a gift from a handsome man,” called Barbara as she stood on the stoop. Scott looked up and was surprised, while Charlie just stood shaking his head knowing his mother was going to be one step ahead of everyone all day.

Joe walked down to the car and shook Scott’s hand.

“It is nice to meet you, Mr. Reeds. I’m Charlie’s father, Joe Wagner. I think you have already met my wife, Barbara.”

“Nice to meet you as well, Mr. Wagner. Just call me, Scott.”

“Okay, Scott it is. Make it Joe then.”

“If you men are done posturing with each other get your butts in here. I have a schedule to keep and there is plenty of work for all of you.” Barbara stood on the stoop with her arms crossed.

“I warned you,” Charlie commented softly as he turned toward his mother.

“I heard that Charlie. Grab your food and get in here.”

Scott and Joe laughed as Charlie grabbed his bag from the car and hot footed it to the front door. He paused to kiss his mother’s cheek on the way into the house. Barely in the front door, Charlie was stunned to see the tables set up for the dinner extended out of the dining room and across the hallway into the family room. Counting twice he found there were table settings for twenty four people.

“Is everyone in the family coming?” Charlie asked in disbelief.

“I didn’t give anyone a choice Charlie. Come on now. I’m grateful we have the double ovens. I have the first bird in one and the second about to go in.”

“Why on earth are there so many seats?” Charlie asked as he followed his mother around the table and into the kitchen.

“Well besides the immediate family of fifteen there are guests. You naturally have Scott. Becca is bringing Juanita. Rick Junior is coming with Wade and his parents. Krista is bringing her roommate from college, Tony. The poor boy can’t afford to go home to California so she invited him to come spend it with her. Will is bringing Alicia, who from what we can get him to say is getting rather serious.”

“Unless I miscounted, Mom, that is still only twenty two.”

“Oh, yes. Finish cutting up the vegetables for the salad while you listen Charlie. Joan is bringing Kia and Andre. They are her agent and her friend from Boston. When she asked I told her the more the merrier.”

Scott helped Joe set up another set of tables that were going to act as a serving board for all the food being cooked and brought. Then the two of them rearranged the furniture in the living room before they sat down to talk and watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.

While that was happening outside the kitchen, Charlie and his mother fell into the old roles they always had when working together in the kitchen. She watched over her birds, basting them and making sure they were cooking to perfection. A small TV under the counter was also turned on to the Macy’s parade while they worked. Charlie finished up the garden salad, carved up yams and began to boil them. Then went on to cut up new potatoes and coated them in oil and seasoning. He then began to make up stuffing for the dinner while his mother washed up the first load of the dishes.

“Do you two need any help?” Scott asked as he poked his head into the kitchen.

“No thanks. Just do me a favor and keep Joe out of the kitchen, Scott. If you don’t he will be eating half the meal before it ever hits the table.”

Charlie laughed.

“I can do that,” he said as he winked at Charlie.

“She isn’t kidding. Dad likes to slip and steal as much of the meal as he can for a snack before it ever hits the table.”

“I do not,” called Joe from the living room.

“Oh, and Scott, can you set your centerpiece on the dining room table. There will be plenty of room for it even with the mob we have coming over.”

Scott smiled and headed back to the living room.

The parade marched on till finally Santa arrived. The meal was entering its final phases and guests were showing up. Barbara kissed Charlie on the cheek.

“Thanks for helping out, baby. I know it isn’t easy to put up with me occasionally but remember, Charlie, I do love you.”

“I know Mom.”

“Keep an eye on the corn for me while I go see who is here and find out what needs to be chilled, heated, or whatever.”

“If anyone asks let them know where I am hiding out then,” Charlie said with a smile.

“Sure thing.”

I just hope Scott doesn’t feel like I’ve thrown him to the wolves. I know Mom is out to make sure everyone meets him without me hovering around. Sometimes, I think I am finally beginning to figure her out.

“Hey Uncle Charlie. Grandma told me she had you held captive in here,” said Rick Junior.

“Hi there, Rick. So how are you making out?”

“Pretty good. Things are going well with me and Ben.”

“Well they are all going to get to meet him tonight. I understand his parents are coming too.”

“Yeah they should be here any minute. His parents love Grandma and Grandpa. Dad has been there but silent if you catch my drift.”

“That might not last today. He has to face Becca and Nita. Then there is the fact he is going to meet Scott as well.”

“Oh I wouldn’t worry. Mom already told him if he so much as makes a rude look to anyone at the party she will, and this is a direct quote Uncle Charlie, ‘remove your balls and use them as earrings’ so he has been sullen and quiet since we left the house.”

“Jesus. I always thought your mother was a quiet one.”

“She was till Dad pissed her off to no end,” stated Rick with chuckle.

Charlie took the corn off of the high heat and finished rolling out the biscuits. All that was really left was to cook the biscuits and everything would be done for dinner.

“I’m going to go check to see if Ben and his family have arrived. Don’t let Grandma hide you away in here too long.”

Rick had barely left before Barbara came bustling back in. Her arms were full of food to be refrigerated and the twins were right behind her with more food.

“Well we are really just waiting on Joan and her guests to arrive. Girls grab the dip and chips and feed the masses for me. Charlie, would you please take out the other platter of vegetables and dip for me. I put most of what was brought in right onto the hot water over the sternos that were set up in the living room. The Benjamin’s even made lasagna and chicken cutlets. God, we are going to have so much food.”

“Mom you always say better too much than too little.”

Charlie headed out to face the family. He was greeted by Krista and her friend Tony as he left the kitchen. Bobby and his family stood talking football with Scott in the corner. Rick sat sullenly by himself at one of the dining room tables. The Benjamins were conversing with his father about the upcoming court date, thanking him again for the lawyer he had hired to represent the boys in court. Tonya stood with Ben, Rick Junior, William and the rest by the snack table.

“I come bearing more snacks. The main meal should be ready to hit the table within a few minutes. I think we are only waiting on three people now,” said Charlie as he tried to make the rounds.

Even as Charlie took a few steps into the crowded room the front door opened admitting Joan with her guests. Hugs and new rounds of introductions followed. Barbara popped her head out of the kitchen when she heard the new round of noise.

“Charlie, I am going to need you for a moment then to get everything out.”

The next hour was spent in going up to get food like a buffet and eating. Most people took to Juanita immediately and had a great time filling her in on the embarrassing moments from Becca’s life. Scott, who most had assumed was a friend, was eventually introduced as Charlie’s date. Rick just stormed off and refused to come back to sit with the family for the rest of the night. Otherwise, Scott was just absorbed into the loud family around him.

Most of the family and guests slipped into the living room to watch football while Charlie, Becca, Ben, Rick Jr., and Barbara began to clean up and prepare for dessert. Scott tried to help three times but Barbara just kept sending him back to guard Joe who kept trying to slip in to get dessert early.

“So that is Scott?” Becca asked as she washed the dishes.

“I told you he was cute,” Barbara said as she began the second large percolator of coffee.

“Well, we did meet him before Grandma. This was the first time for the rest of the family,” Rick Jr. commented as he winked at Ben.

“So glad everyone approves,” Charlie commented sarcastically. He began pulling the pies and cakes that had been stored in the refrigerator out while Rick helped to clean the remaining turkey off the bones and put it into containers.

“I think Mr. Reeds is a nice guy,” Ben said shyly. He was scraping the plates clean and putting them into the sink for Becca.

Charlie looked over at Ben and smiled. Once the pots of coffee had been started Barbara began going back and forth bringing the remainders of the meal back into the kitchen. The lasagna had been finished off during dinner so she made sure the serving dish was washed and cleaned. The remainders of the chicken cutlets were neatly wrapped up and the platter they were brought over on was also washed. Then the Benjamin’s belongings were put into a bag for them to bring home. Rebecca didn’t have as many dishes to wash because most of the family brought over their dishes in tin foils so they could simply be tossed out. The food was divided up and put into dozens of containers that Barbara had bought in advance so she could send home food with the guests.

“I’m reminding you four, that no one is to leave without getting a package of the leftovers. If people don’t go home with them, your grandfather and I will be eating them for weeks.”

As the main course was cleared away the rest of the desserts were laid out on plates and cut up so they could be served. There were pies galore: apple pie, blueberry pie, pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, lemon pie, Boston cream pie, and chocolate cream pie. Rebecca and Juanita had made fourteen types of cookies and had placed them on three huge platters that were unwrapped. The pumpkin bread was sliced up as was the banana bread that Ben had made especially for Rick Junior. Joan had stopped and picked up a platter of fruit on her way down and her guests had bought a large cannoli cake. By the time all of the desserts had been laid out on the serving table it looked as full as when the original meal had been placed on it.

Once the coffee and tea water was ready everyone was called back for dessert. After hours of eating and talking people began to drift off into little groups and some fell asleep on the couches. Only Rick Senior seemed unaffected by a food coma. As Barbara and Joe followed Joan and her guests out to say goodnight, he stalked his brother into the kitchen while Charlie tried to help clean up the final load of dishes.

“How could you, Charlie?”

Charlie had just finished putting the last of the coffee mugs into the sink when he turned to his brother.

“How could I what, Rick?”

“How could you bring someone like him into our parents’ home?”

“Someone like him? Okay, let me see if I get this. How could I bring someone your age home to Mom and Dad? No. How could I bring a businessman home? No, that wouldn’t work. Mom and Dad were both business people. Hmm. How could I bring someone who loves me home? Well, gee isn’t that what you did with Tonya?”

Rick was furious. He clutched his hands into fists and his face slowly turned redder and redder. Slowly he raised his one fist.

“I wouldn’t even think about that if I were you.” Scott’s quiet voice shattered the growing tension from the doorway of the kitchen.

Rick turned ready to fight and then stopped cold.

“Yes, because if you don’t I will personally make your life a living hell,” came Tonya’s voice as she stepped around Scott. Her hands were on her hips as she marched up to her husband. “I’ve warned you that if you so much as raise a hand to any member of the family or cause any sort of trouble I will divorce you. Now apologize to your brother and get the hell out of here.”

Rick lowered his hand and stared at his wife. “Sorry,” he muttered under his breath and stormed out of the kitchen.

“Well, I am sorry. Your brother should know better. If you two need anything let me know.”

“Tonya, just don’t let Mom know, okay?”

Tonya shook her head and wandered out of the kitchen.

“We heard raised voices and figured we better check it out,” Scott said as he crossed the room and hugged Charlie.

“I can’t believe he would have hit me. He is my brother. He was always there for me.” Charlie stood trembling in Scott’s arms.

“He is still dealing with his own prejudices, Charlie. I’m just glad he didn’t take them out on you.”

Barbara had walked in on the last part of the conversation.

“Is there something I need to know?” she asked looking from Scott to Charlie.

“No, Mom. Everything is fine.”

“Charlie, you are a terrible liar. However, it is Thanksgiving so for the moment I’m going to let it go. Do me a favor and grab that bag we packed for the Benjamin’s. I don’t want those lovely people to forget their platters and things.”

After the Benjamins and Wade left the party began to break up quickly. Charlie and Scott were among the next to leave, but only after Kathy stated she was sleeping over and would help with the remaining clean up.

The drive home to Charlie’s apartment was fairly quiet. Charlie felt totally exhausted after the day he had. He had been worried about how the family might accept Scott but everyone except Rick had taken immediately to him. Then he had been running back and forth with the food and finally was there was the confrontation with Rick in the kitchen which had left him shaken and upset. His last conscious thought was he hoped they got to his apartment soon.

“Charlie, we are home.” Scott looked over and found him had passed out in his seat.

Scott parked his car in the guest spot for Charlie’s apartment. Carefully Scott slipped Charlie’s keys out of his coat pocket and then carried him inside. Scott managed to barely unlock the door and open it while carrying the sleeping form of the smaller young man. Once into the apartment Scott carried Charlie to the bedroom and laid him across the bed. He took the time slip off the sleeping man’s shoes and tosses the blanket, which had been on the bottom of the bed, over Charlie. Then he walked out to the couch with a pillow he found on the end of the bed and passed out himself.

 

Charlie’s Pumpkin Pie Recipe

  • 1 (9 inch) unbaked deep dish pie crust
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 (15 ounce) can Pumpkin
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can Evaporated Milk

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
  2. Combine sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg in small bowl. Beat eggs and vanilla lightly in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Pour into pie shell.
  3. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F.; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until a cake tester inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate.

 

Charlie’s Pumpkin Bread Recipe

  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 4 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 16 ounces canned unsweetened pumpkin
  • 3 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice
  • ¼ teaspoon ginger (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2/3 cup water

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Grease and flour two 9 by 5 loaf pans. Stir together sugar, vanilla, and oil. Stir in the eggs and pumpkin. Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Blend dry ingredients and water into the wet mixture, alternating. Divide the batter between the two loaf pans.

3. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes. Remove from pans and allow to cool completely.

So everything is out now and everyone knows what is happening. A family will pull together most of the time but there is always that one member. Anyway comments and thoughts are appreciated. Happy points too if you enjoyed it.
A special thank you to Cia for help in catching my mistakes. Hopefully now everyone can enjoy.
Copyright © 2011 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 08/10/2011 11:13 AM, Frostina said:
WOW! talk about a gathering. :D

Love Scott btw. :D he's so so cool! ^_^

yeah it was time to get everyone together, start settling some of the outstanding questions. We are on the final approach so I have a lot to get done quickly. Glad you liked it Frosty. I hope for once people won't say it was too short. :lol:
Link to comment
On 08/10/2011 01:05 PM, Leicht said:
Oh god, you're making me hungry....an I'm fasting the whole day...7 hours more to go...
Well it was Thanksgiving so that meant food and lots of it. Besides if you get hungry I do give you recipes. :lol:
Link to comment

Wow a big family XD! Rich Senior couldn't help himself lol! I hope he is going to stop being like this and be here more for his son...

 

Good chapter as always XD!

I love Scott in this chapter ;)

 

Write more

Link to comment

Don't rush wrapping the story up, I am enjoying reading it. All of the characters add something important to the development of the story, and you have done an excellent job. thanks

 

 

Link to comment
On 08/11/2011 02:05 AM, Elezbed said:
Wow a big family XD! Rich Senior couldn't help himself lol! I hope he is going to stop being like this and be here more for his son...

 

Good chapter as always XD!

I love Scott in this chapter ;)

 

Write more

Still writing. Charlie's story isn't over yet. Glad you are still here reading and enjoying it Elezbed.
Link to comment
On 08/11/2011 06:16 AM, GeR said:
Don't rush wrapping the story up, I am enjoying reading it. All of the characters add something important to the development of the story, and you have done an excellent job. thanks

 

I am glad you have enjoyed this story so far. Charlie's story isn't over yet but it is finally beginning to get there. I don't think you can say I have rushed this tale. It started in September and after 21 chapters I've only managed to get you to November.
Link to comment

I really love the Wagner's Holiday! They are an awesome family. Scott was so warmly welcome. It was beautiful :wub:

 

BUT...Ok...Wayne...I'm a little guy and I think it would be difficult for someone to carry me (asleep--aka dead weight) inside and put me to bed. It was sweet and touching but makes Charlie almost too childlike. Maybe helping him inside, leaning into the warmth of Scott's body? Tired eyes flutter? IMO :D

 

Great Chapter- I want more! Write very fast! :P

Link to comment
On 08/13/2011 07:49 AM, K.C. said:
I really love the Wagner's Holiday! They are an awesome family. Scott was so warmly welcome. It was beautiful :wub:

 

BUT...Ok...Wayne...I'm a little guy and I think it would be difficult for someone to carry me (asleep--aka dead weight) inside and put me to bed. It was sweet and touching but makes Charlie almost too childlike. Maybe helping him inside, leaning into the warmth of Scott's body? Tired eyes flutter? IMO :D

 

Great Chapter- I want more! Write very fast! :P

Um, I've done it so I knew it could be done. Didn't say it was easy but it can be done. Glad you are enjoying it and I'm writing as fast as I can. :lol:
Link to comment

Wayne

You have spent some time in the kitchen and you appreciate how much time, effort, planning and toil it takes to put together a big holiday dinner for a large group because your writing shows it. Charlie is his mom's right hand man and his boyfriend is left to guard dad! How real is that. The family dynamic is believable. Rick Sr.'s reaction and confrontation with Charlie is well done. From his point of view, Charlie who dated Tina for a long time has turned and it shook his fundamental assumptions about his baby brother. HIs anger from his point of view was understandable and I am glad that Scott did not over-react and cause a worse scene. Charlie's reaction of fright is also in character, as this was from the big brother who protected him. All in all, interesting depiction and a good job. Dave

 

 

Link to comment
On 08/15/2011 12:08 AM, Daddydavek said:
Wayne

You have spent some time in the kitchen and you appreciate how much time, effort, planning and toil it takes to put together a big holiday dinner for a large group because your writing shows it. Charlie is his mom's right hand man and his boyfriend is left to guard dad! How real is that. The family dynamic is believable. Rick Sr.'s reaction and confrontation with Charlie is well done. From his point of view, Charlie who dated Tina for a long time has turned and it shook his fundamental assumptions about his baby brother. HIs anger from his point of view was understandable and I am glad that Scott did not over-react and cause a worse scene. Charlie's reaction of fright is also in character, as this was from the big brother who protected him. All in all, interesting depiction and a good job. Dave

 

Glad it is all believable and enjoyable. Charlie's story has been a great pleasure to write. I will be sorry when his tale is told.
Link to comment

Walbaum's? Not King Kullen? :P Grandma LOVED Walbaum's but I haven't heard that name in years so it made me smile.

 

 

Of all the people to single out, I suppose Rick figured his younger brother was the only one who was fair game; Rick - Tonya would kill him, Becca, he'd have to deal with Bobby, Charlie - well no one but mom and dad - schmuck :P

 

So Scott invites himself over for the nite and sleeps on the couch?? :blink: And I though chivalry was dead. :P I guess I didn't know that Scott was pushing 50, I figured mid thirties, but if Richard was the 27 when Chuck was born, that means he's 51-52. Do I have the age wrong? I mean Charlie said someone your age, but that didn't mean exactly Rick's age - so gonna tell me or do I have to go find that ineffective Turban? rolleyes.gif

Link to comment
On 10/16/2011 12:12 AM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
Walbaum's? Not King Kullen? :P Grandma LOVED Walbaum's but I haven't heard that name in years so it made me smile.

 

 

Of all the people to single out, I suppose Rick figured his younger brother was the only one who was fair game; Rick - Tonya would kill him, Becca, he'd have to deal with Bobby, Charlie - well no one but mom and dad - schmuck :P

 

So Scott invites himself over for the nite and sleeps on the couch?? :blink: And I though chivalry was dead. :P I guess I didn't know that Scott was pushing 50, I figured mid thirties, but if Richard was the 27 when Chuck was born, that means he's 51-52. Do I have the age wrong? I mean Charlie said someone your age, but that didn't mean exactly Rick's age - so gonna tell me or do I have to go find that ineffective Turban? rolleyes.gif

Well the big three on Long Island are still Walbaum's, King Kullen, and Stop N Shop. But the closest one to downtown Patchogue is Walbaum's.

 

And you are correct with the ages. :)

Link to comment

Couple of Issues

"Scott looked over and found him had passed out in his seat." omit (had) ?

"He took the time slip off the sleeping man’s shoes" time (to) slip ?

Great Thanksgiving, until the older brother mucked it up. I had a feeling that was coming but hoped he would have come around by now. I'm steadily disliking this Rick Sr. more and more. There's something wrong with that man.

Loved it that Scott carried Charlie into the house. That is very endearing to me. (okay one more chapter)

Link to comment
On 02/11/2012 05:09 AM, MidnightMan said:
Couple of Issues

"Scott looked over and found him had passed out in his seat." omit (had) ?

"He took the time slip off the sleeping man’s shoes" time (to) slip ?

Great Thanksgiving, until the older brother mucked it up. I had a feeling that was coming but hoped he would have come around by now. I'm steadily disliking this Rick Sr. more and more. There's something wrong with that man.

Loved it that Scott carried Charlie into the house. That is very endearing to me. (okay one more chapter)

Well no one is going to make a conversion over night, not even Rick. Takes time to do that kind of change. Glad you haven't give up on Charlie and are still enjoying it.
Link to comment
On 10/06/2012 06:52 PM, Slytherin said:
So sweet of him to carry Charlie inside !! wub.png (and then sleep on the couch) :)
Don't think Scott had much he could do. Glad you are enjoying it.
Link to comment

Wow, beautiful and informative chapter. Rick was totally in bastard mode, and Scott and tonja backed him down.

 

In hi early fifties huh. That makes it even more interesting.

 

I have to say that I love Barbara, sounds so much like my mom.

 

Another good one guy:)

Link to comment
On 11/06/2012 12:11 PM, joann414 said:
Wow, beautiful and informative chapter. Rick was totally in bastard mode, and Scott and tonja backed him down.

 

In hi early fifties huh. That makes it even more interesting.

 

I have to say that I love Barbara, sounds so much like my mom.

 

Another good one guy:)

Yeah so that was Thanksgiving. Nice and peaceful. :lol: Glad you are still enjoying it Jo Ann.
Link to comment

What a beautiful chapter. Its so sad to see rick going from hauling his little brother around and teasing him to raising a hand to hit him. I wonder if he froze when he turned around cause he realized just how big and serious Scott was or whether he did see his wife standing behind Scott. Rick I think is maybe realizing just how much he may have screwed up cause Tonya doesn't strike me as a one time threat I think he will be looking at divorce papers soon if he doesn't smartening up. I don't think you ever really say how often,do Scott is other than he has some grey hair but still he must be in really good she to be able to carry Charlie into his apartment and with a broken arm to boot.

Link to comment
On 06/07/2013 12:53 PM, Daithi said:
What a beautiful chapter. Its so sad to see rick going from hauling his little brother around and teasing him to raising a hand to hit him. I wonder if he froze when he turned around cause he realized just how big and serious Scott was or whether he did see his wife standing behind Scott. Rick I think is maybe realizing just how much he may have screwed up cause Tonya doesn't strike me as a one time threat I think he will be looking at divorce papers soon if he doesn't smartening up. I don't think you ever really say how often,do Scott is other than he has some grey hair but still he must be in really good she to be able to carry Charlie into his apartment and with a broken arm to boot.
Holidays are always a stressful time. You see the best and the worst in people. Rick still is having trouble with his perceptions about people being challenged. Tonya is not a pushover and he knows that. Scott just got his sling off. Just wait and see what happens.
Link to comment

Too bad brother Rick is such an idiot, but the rest of the family are wonderful. They are used to seeing Charlie with Tina but everyone was ready to welcome Scott into the family. Loved the ending, Scott really is a sweetheart :wub:

Link to comment
On 03/16/2014 05:35 PM, Suvitar said:
Too bad brother Rick is such an idiot, but the rest of the family are wonderful. They are used to seeing Charlie with Tina but everyone was ready to welcome Scott into the family. Loved the ending, Scott really is a sweetheart :wub:
Family the ties that bind and sometimes choke you. Charlie is lucky in that his family is for the most part pretty open minded.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..