Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 1,193 Words
  • 4,745 Views
  • 24 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Daniel's Gift - 1. Chapter 1

Daniel has a gift for his Uncle Bobby and, oh, what a gift it is.

It was Christmas morning and I’d tried to slip into my parents’ house quietly. Naturally, I was immediately ratted out as Sandy, my parents’ golden retriever, barked and raced toward me for a belly rub. I slid the bags I was holding onto the counter and proceeded to pet Sandy, who happily wagged her tail and rolled onto her side so I could easily rub her belly. I hadn’t even hung up my coat when my nephew came into the kitchen rubbing the sleep from his eyes and noticed Sandy getting some affection.

“Unc! You’re here!” Daniel launched himself at me.

I moved quickly, catching him midair and hugged him. “Aren’t you up early?”

“It’s Christmas!”

With that announcement I knew I wouldn’t really get a chance to settle in. I could hear the sounds of people beginning to move around. I set Daniel down and opened one of my bags. I’d stopped at Gracy’s Bakery and picked up donuts and stuff for breakfast. Daniel’s eyes widened as he saw all the sugary treats in the boxes, as I opened one of them for him to pick from.

“Take one and go sit down to eat.” I smiled as watched him try to decide what he wanted to eat.

While Daniel happily sat at the table munching on a jelly donut, I started the coffee pot for the rest of us. I poured my nephew a glass of milk and then went to grab myself a cup of Joe.

“I smell coffee,” came my mother’s voice from the hallway.

“Yes, and I brought junk food for breakfast, too!”

“That’s why you’re my favorite child,” called out my dad.

“I heard that,” my sister yelled down the hall from her bedroom.

Mom walked over and kissed my cheek. “Glad the restaurant gave you time off, Hon.”

“Me too, mom.” I took a swig of coffee as she went to prepare her cup.

I heard Sandy whine and turned to see Daniel putting his plate and glass in the sink. Then he turned and focused on me.

“Come on! You have to come with me.”

Daniel’s little hand grabbed mine and he tried to drag me to the Christmas tree. He was nearly bouncing with energy. I grabbed my bags of gifts from the floor and let my nephew take me into the living room where the tree stood, packed with multicolored presents underneath.

“Dan, you know your mother and grandparents aren’t ready yet. Don’t you want to open your stocking?”

“No Unc. I wanna give you your present.”

I shook my head, and began to add the packages I had to the pile near the side.

Daniel began hunting for the gift just as my sister and parents walked into the room.

“Munchkin, you better not be trying to open your presents without us!”

Daniel stepped away from the tree and stared at his mother. “Mom, I’m getting my present for Unc.”

Susan laughed and sat down on the couch with her coffee. Mom grabbed her camera and dad made his way to the tree just as Daniel found the gift.

“He bought it and wrapped it for you,” Susan said as she eyed me over the top of her coffee mug.

“Unc Bobby, open it!”

I took the box wrapped in blue with snowmen all over it. Daniel was nearly jumping up and down beside me as I looked for a spot he didn’t tape closed so I could open the box.

“Open it!” Daniel seemed to hold his breath as I finally ripped open the paper.

There was a box, which luckily, he hadn’t taped closed. I opened it, blinked, and stared at the shirt in the box. It’s yellow. So yellow.

I look up, a smile pasted on my face. “I love it,” I say, and his happy grin made me glad I’m spending Christmas with him.

“What did he get you?” Susan asked as she walked over to where we were sitting by the tree. “He wouldn’t show or tell us anything.”

I slowly lifted the bright yellow shirt out of the box. As I did, it became clear it was a Charlie Brown shirt with the black wavy line and everything. It was even in my size. I turned, surprised, to stare at my smiling nephew.

“I checked your shirt size when I went to stay with you. We were still having the sale at school so I knew it would fit.”

He was so happy, I pulled him close for a hug and heard the giggles and guffaws of my family.

I looked at mom who was laughing so hard she set the camera down and walked back into the kitchen. Traitor! Dad was no better. He focused on the gifts under the tree and wouldn’t even look over, but there was no denying the way he was shaking from laughter.

“Is that why you wanted more money for the school Christmas sale?” Susan looked at her son and just barely smiled.

“Yeah, Mom. I’d bought everyone else gifts, but I wanted to get Unc Bobby something special.”

I knew my nephew loved me. Working as a chef, I rarely worked normal hours and barely ever had a weekend off. However, I often took him out when I had a day off from work. We’d go to the movies, the park, the beach, or even back to my place to play video games. It usually ended with me making dinner for the three of us, saving Susan a few bucks and giving her some down time.

Susan was always happy for the help. Being a single mother wasn’t easy, but she rarely asked for help with anything. It was only last month that mom and dad finally had enough and offered her the chance to move back in. Susan didn’t want to cave, but she’d been ill recently, and it drained what little money she had saved. The move into my parents’ house happened over Thanksgiving weekend. Daniel had my old room now. Besides, living with my parents meant I now see all of them more often.

“But why that shirt?” Susan stood there the picture of innocence.

“Because he is Charlie Brown.” Daniel pointed at me, smiling widely. “You all say so.”

Dad broke into peals of laughter and crawled over to the love seat where he sat red faced trying to catch his breath. I heard a crash in the kitchen as mom evidently dropped her coffee. My sister stood, laughing so hard, tears streamed down her face as she hugged her son.

It seems my nickname had come back to haunt me. My luck was never the best and I’d been single for too long. However, when it came to Daniel, hell, I’d ride a white elephant down main street wearing his shirt, just to see him smile. He was a bright spot in my life. Hell, if I was Charlie Brown, Daniel was my Snoopy.

Although the other three were so going to pay for laughing at my expense. I’m sure I can help Daniel get them special gifts for little Christmas.

A special thank you to Tim for stepping in at the eleventh hour to help me.

 

For those who may not know what little Christmas is, it is also known as the Epiphany. It is when the Three Kings visited Jesus and is celebrated on January 6th.

Copyright © 2017 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 11
  • Haha 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

38 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

What a sweet nephew :wub:  Lovely story, Wayne.  Merry Christmas!  :hug:  :kiss: 

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Merry Christmas, Val.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I can relate on so many levels to this story.  From being in the restaurant industry, to family, to old nicknames haunting you.  Great story!!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 12/25/2017 at 3:44 PM, MacGreg said:

Makes perfect sense that Daniel chose the Charlie Brown shirt because he'd heard everyone call his uncle that. Makes for a good laugh for the family. Nice story and use of the prompt.

Thanks for the review MacGreg. Yeah, Daniel wasn't in on the joke. He just wanted to make his uncle happy. Glad you enjoyed it. Happy holidays.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 12/25/2017 at 4:41 PM, BlindAmbition said:

The innocence of a child. A fun and heartwarming story for the holiday. Especially for a Peanuts fan. Being Italian, I appreciate The epiphany reference. 

I'm so glad you enjoyed it BlindAmbition. I don't think I'm ever far from my upbringing. Being born on the Immaculate Conception and raised Catholic, it pops up in my work sometimes. Happy Holidays.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 12/25/2017 at 9:08 PM, JeffreyL said:

What a fun, sweet story! It's amazing what we put up with from the ones that are special to us! Nicely done. Thanks.

Thanks JeffreyL. For our loved ones we always make allowances. Glad you enjoyed it. Happy Holidays.

Edited by comicfan
  • Like 3
Link to comment
18 hours ago, Puppilull said:

Any gift given from the heart is a great gift. All we have to do is look at it from the giver's POV and we understand. 

 

Interesting to see how the US readers get more depth from the story. Being Swedish, I don't have a strong connection to Charlie Brown so I'm missing certain parts to truly get the joke. Cultural differences are fascinating.

Puppilull, Charlie Brown is the ultimate everyman for which, if something can go wrong it does. It is in that spirit Bobby is teased by his family. Daniel just sees his uncle as a man he loves and trusts. Glad that even without all the details you could enjoy the story. Thanks for commenting. Happy Holidays.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
14 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

What a lovely story. I adore my nieces and nephews.. they are kids i'll never have but i love them like they are. Beautiful.. i loved it. 

When a child gives you a gift, you know you've been blessed. Happy Holidays.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 12/26/2017 at 6:00 PM, Ivric said:

I can relate on so many levels to this story.  From being in the restaurant industry, to family, to old nicknames haunting you.  Great story!!

Lvric, they say you should write about what you know. Been a jack of all trades, and tried out many careers in my life. Aspects of which end up in my stories. Hopefully, they make the stories easier to get into. As for nicknames, Charlie Brown has been mine as far back as I can remember. It fits and I wear it as a badge of honor. Glad you enjoyed it. Happy Holidays.

Edited by comicfan
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I hope he's only accident prone in his private life and not as a chef. :o  Thanks for the explanation about Charlie Brown and Little Christmas. This incident will probably become part of the family lore, to be retold every xmas to the everlasting embarrassment of both uncle and nephew (once he's old enough to understand). :lol: We have a few of those stories in my family.  :facepalm: 

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/28/2017 at 7:36 AM, Timothy M. said:

I hope he's only accident prone in his private life and not as a chef. :o  Thanks for the explanation about Charlie Brown and Little Christmas. This incident will probably become part of the family lore, to be retold every xmas to the everlasting embarrassment of both uncle and nephew (once he's old enough to understand). :lol: We have a few of those stories in my family.  :facepalm: 

 

Thanks again for all the help. Happy holidays.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

The sweetest story I’ve read in a long time. The most special gifts come from kids as they come directly from the heart. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/21/2019 at 6:30 AM, Pm715 said:

The sweetest story I’ve read in a long time. The most special gifts come from kids as they come directly from the heart. 

I always thought so. I am glad you enjoyed the story.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..