Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 695 Words
  • 1,148 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Prompt You Say! - 3. Prompt 104 - Meeting Alex

Based off prompt 104 - Here is the situation:
Life never has been easy on you. You thought nothing else could possibly upset you until you walked into the store and met your double. What sort of life do they lead?

I’d just dropped Christine and our daughter, Lisa, at the hair place. It was their weekly appointment and their mother daughter time. Needless to say I was sent food shopping and I had Ted in a cart before me. I still thought we were crazy having kids so far apart in age. I mean who needs kids in pre-school and junior high at the same time?

While Chris and Lisa were having girl time, getting their hair and nails done, I was taking Ted grocery shopping. I didn’t mind doing the shopping cause it meant I got a break from hearing my son beg his sister to play with him, while all she wanted to do was talk on her phone or play on her computer. Boys and girls never want the same things at the ages they are at now. I am proud to say that Lisa will make time for Ted, but not as much as Ted would like.

I was just turning the corner to grab a box of Raisin Bran when I seen me, or I guess you can say him. I know that old joke that everyone has a double somewhere but I’d never believed it till just that moment. At forty two years old I wasn’t too different from the other men I knew. I was getting that middle age spread, the gray was coming in, and I had the little lines everyone gets around the eyes. Till that moment I hadn’t worried about any of it.

“Look Daddy, it’s you!”

The man who could have been me looked up and stared. Immediately I knew I had been eating too much and not exercising enough. He had my old figure from high school. I could see the narrow waist, emphasized by the dark blue shirt tucked into his light gray pants. The charcoal gray shirt under the dress shirt showed off his tan. There were no wrinkles, no gray hair, and god he didn’t have a damn ounce of fat on him. The other major difference was I didn’t see a gold wedding ring like I had on.

“Hi. Guess what they say is true.”

The stranger even sounded a bit like me. Alright so his voice was a bit deeper but damn, did I have to keep coming up short.

“What would that be?” I asked looking at the expensive leather coat he had laying across the children’s seat at the top of the carriage.

“We all have a double. I’m Alex. Nice to meet you.”

“Raymond, but everyone calls me Ray,” I answered as I took his hand and shook.

“And who is this little guy?”

“I’m Ted. I’m five.”

“Well he is going to be five, shortly.”

My son shot me a look, but turned and studied Alex. He seemed as curious as I was.

“I see. Nice to meet you too, Ted.”

A moment later a stunning girl about Lisa’s age came up.

“Dad, I want to … oh my God.” She paused staring at her father and myself. “You two look so much alike. Um … Sorry. That wasn’t very nice.”

Alex and I both laughed. We were having the same sort of reaction.

I would have loved to found out more about Alex, but Ted had other plans.

“Daddy,” he whispered pulling on my sleeve, “I gotta go.”

Alex looked him and smiled.

“Sorry, nature calls.”

Alex nodded and his daughter just kept watching me.

As I began to move back toward the meat section so I could get to the bathroom for Ted I heard Alex and his daughter start to talk.

“Dad, I didn’t know you had a twin?”

“I don’t.”

“Dad, you have to tell Dad Max. He will never believe us.”

I was turning the corner then and lost anything else they might have said. Seems my other was in much better shape, had at least one child, and perhaps an ex-wife who had remarried. Christine wasn’t going to believe my day, but I knew I was putting myself on a diet starting right now. Those chips and the beer definitely weren’t going home with me today.

So Ray and Alex met each other and their lives are fairly different. Do you think I did a good job with this? Did you enjoy it? Feel free to click the like button if you did. Want to comment but not here then please go to thread for the prompts. Thank you for reading. :)

http://www.gayauthor...prompt-you-say/
Copyright © 2012 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Interesting snippet of the narrator's life as he approaches middle age. Good details and internal dialogue.

Link to comment

I loved Ray's thoughts. What an interesting concept: meeting your twin.

 

Interesting though that Ray didn't catch on to what Alex's daughter meant when she mentioned Dad Max. (or did he and I just read that wrong? lol)

Link to comment
On 02/08/2012 11:53 PM, Lisa said:
I loved Ray's thoughts. What an interesting concept: meeting your twin.

 

Interesting though that Ray didn't catch on to what Alex's daughter meant when she mentioned Dad Max. (or did he and I just read that wrong? lol)

No you caught it, Ray didn't. Just one of those things where unless it is normal to you, you put it into a context you understand. So Dad Max for Ray became a stepfather. lol. Glad you liked it.
Link to comment
On 02/08/2012 04:42 PM, Percy said:
Interesting snippet of the narrator's life as he approaches middle age. Good details and internal dialogue.
Thank you Percy. Figured I would have a bit of fun with this one.
Link to comment
On 02/09/2012 04:37 AM, Michael9344 said:
Looks fine to me. A fun read. Nothing literally wrong, and a lot of things just right. Good work.
Thanks Michael. I had a bit of fun with this. The idea from the prompt actually came from watching an episode of How I met your mother. They all kept seeing their doppelganger. I figured why not have fun with the idea.
Link to comment
On 02/10/2012 03:50 PM, JOeKEool said:
Very well done. Again. I saw that "How I Met Your Mother". Good refference.

Keep them coming!

Glad you got it Joe. Figured this was just something fun and different to approach.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..