Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 1,788 Words
  • 5,205 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Ripped - 3. Chapter 3

Declan tried to be quiet as he dressed in a pair of running shorts, a tank top, and sneakers. He strapped his IPod to his arm, turning for the door, and accidentally kicking the small trash can by his roommate's desk.

Evan jolted, eyes darting around in the pre-dawn darkness.

"Shit. Sorry, Ev," Declan muttered.

Evan flopped back and pulled his covers up. "God, Declan, can't you run at a decent hour?"

"I know I usually run later, but I couldn't sleep. So I figured I'd just get moving." It was true, he hadn't been able to settle down. His stomach had been twisted up all night as he constantly replayed his failure for his team.

"Fine, just go," Evan groaned, burrowing back into his bed.

Declan just chuckled as he slipped out of the room, quietly making his way down the hall so as not to disturb anyone else. It really was a lot earlier than most woke. He headed for the track, staying on the sidewalks and pathways since the grass was still soggy from yesterday's thunderstorms. He jogged leisurely across the campus, using the time to warm up his limbs.

It was dark still, only the faintest hint of the sun's approach lightening the sky to the east. He made his way to the track that circled the football field. Of course, most of the lights were off, but the school kept some lights on all the time around the campus for safety reasons.

He was only mildly surprised to see another guy already on the far end of the track, and he wondered briefly how long he'd been running already. Since the entire student body participated in some sport or another, it was pretty common for the track to be occupied, even when the track team wasn't practicing. Declan just hadn't thought anyone ever came this early—he never had.

A quick glance told him it wasn't likely one of his own teammates. Could be a track guy, they never seemed to get tired of running. Evan certainly couldn't—just not at oh-dark-early.

He was a little annoyed that he didn't have the track to himself. He needed the alone time right now. But the guy was half a lap away, so they could keep out of each other's way. Declan figured they could ignore each other just fine.

He popped his earbuds in as he slipped into a comfortable pace on the inside lane of the track. The steady beat of his favorite classic rock bands kept his feet moving, a sheen of sweat forming over his skin.

But even the blaring roar of his music couldn't quiet the anxiety gnawing at him, his gaze lost to the thoughts in his head.

He found his jaw tightening as he thought of how he'd let his team down, how everyone seemed to know about it by dinner. He'd encountered a few teasing ribs in the dining hall and on the way back to his dorm. Mostly his teammates deflected, and he knew it was best to just let it go, but the memory of it stung his pride.

It wasn't like he'd never been given a hard time before. Hell, he'd made mistakes in games that got him some good-natured goading, but this was different. This belittled his manhood, that someone so small could out muscle him. Hell, if it had been Justin maybe it wouldn't have been quite as bad. Justin was at least his own height, if not his breadth.

With each rhythmic step, he tried to imagine all the ways he could make that Bailey kid pay. Another challenge maybe—pullups... no, weights... that would be better. There had to be a way to save face. Would the kid even agree to another match-up? Why would he? He could claim he'd already bested a football player. But if he refused, he'd look like a coward... so maybe it would work.

He felt his fists clenching as he ran. Damn, he was itching to just punch something. Ideally, it would be McIntyre, but Declan wasn't about to risk disciplinary action. God, he needed to get out on the field where he could hit someone without repercussions; although his teammates probably wouldn't appreciate his sudden 'enthusiasm.' Fortunately, he'd only have to wait until practice this afternoon. With the artificial turfs on all the practice fields, they wouldn't even get muddy.

He was only vaguely aware of a second set of feet thumping on the pavement behind him as he blew out a heavy breath, forcing out the negative energy. His mom had taught him that—breathing and yoga and other meditative shit. He'd never admit aloud that he sometimes did some of it. The guys would have a field day with that little tidbit. But it did help, when he was especially stressed. That and running. And occasionally being able to knock someone on their ass during a game or practice.

It wasn't long before his feet were pounding at a moderately intense rate. The air sliding in and out of his lungs soothed him. His hands were loose, as he let the thrum of energy help wash away some of his anger. He wasn't stupid, he knew better than to let his pride get the better of him.

Movement to his right startled him. He'd forgotten about the other guy on the track, even though the back of his mind had vaguely registered the footsteps pacing behind him for a few laps.

Now that he was calmer, the run finally releasing some of his resentment, maybe it wouldn't be bad to have a little company. The sun had created a luminescent glow on the horizon. Declan glanced over; he guy was wearing sweats and a hoodie, which Declan thought was overboard. It was too warm, even at this time of day, for that. He eyed the guy, surprised to see him move to the outside lane, still going strong. Definitely had to be a track guy.

"Hey!" he called out, pulling out one earbud as he offered a friendly wave. "What's up?"

The other guy faltered a step as he looked over. Nearly translucent gray eyes darted over at him in mild surprise. Then a small smile appeared followed by a hesitant wave.

Declan nearly tripped. Fuck. It was that goddamn Bailey kid. Why the hell was he here? And now? Had he followed him to the track just to show him up? Was he trying to rub his nose in the fact that he'd beaten Declan in pushups?

Heat flared up Declan's cheeks, and he put on a burst of speed. No way in hell was he letting this guy get the better of him again. He glanced over at Bailey and narrowed his eyes at the other boy, thundering past him. He grinned smugly to himself when the smile fell from the hooded face. Take that, flyboy.

Declan's thighs burned as he powered on, not willing to show weakness, not willing to lose—again. He came around the far corner of the track and was able to see another person, taller than Bailey, coming towards him. Declan slowed as the newcomer approached him.

"Hey, Declan," Justin greeted as he got close enough.

Declan cursed under his breath, coming to a panting stop. "What are you doing here?"

Justin seemed surprised by his harsh tone. "Oh, just hoping to catch up with Bailey. He usually likes to run really early."

"Well," Declan gestured over his shoulder with a self-satisfied smile, "he's somewhere behind me."

He saw Justin's eyes flicker over his shoulder with a confused frown. "Where?"

Declan whipped around, shocked to see the track empty. Where the hell had the kid disappeared to?

"Huh. Well, he was here. Guess he gave up," Declan grunted, starting up a slow jog to cool down.

Justin turned and jogged alongside Declan for a few moments, and Declan wished the guy would just leave already.

"Hey, man, I just wanted to say I'm sorry you got caught up with Chris's bullshit yesterday."

"You were part of that bullshit," Declan shot back.

Justin looked taken aback. "You didn't seriously think your team could just come in and steamroll over us like that?"

"Would it have hurt you to give up the room a little early? So it could be put to good use."

Justin stopped abruptly and shoved Declan's shoulder, causing him to stop as well. "What the fuck are you talking about? You think what Chris did was right? I thought you were one of the more sensible ones on the team. But I can see you're an asshole just like Chris."

"No—just... it would have avoided a lot of trouble if you had."

"So just because the football team is bigger than the gymnastics team, you think they can demand anything they want? That we can't make good use of the weight room?"

Declan didn't want to get into an argument with Justin. Of course he didn't think what Chris had done yesterday was right, everyone was just on edge from being cooped up inside. "No, just saying, you know, with all your flips and—" Declan waved his hands in the air "—dancing around, and everything, you don't need the weight room like we do."

Justin just stared at him, shaking his head. "Dancing around, huh? God, you really are a dumb fuck. I'm glad Bailey beat your ass yesterday."

"He didn't—" Declan growled, his body stiffening.

"Oh, hell yeah, he did," Justin laughed. "I chose you because you've always been pretty laid back—wouldn't take it as personally as Eric or Nick would—but maybe I was wrong. Honestly, Chris should have manned up and challenged me. Who knows, he might have beat me, he might not have. But when he zeroed in on Bailey, assuming he was the weakest, he made a huge mistake."

Declan glanced around, his eyes searching for the other teen. "He's so—"

"What?"

Declan just shook his head and took off toward the gates. "Fuck it. I'm going to shower."

"Yeah, go ahead and run away!" Justin yelled after him. "You're a coward, just like Chris! Bailey probably got tired of you slowing him down and left."

Declan clenched his fists at the taunt because he knew Justin was right. He'd sensed Bailey pacing behind him for awhile before the teen had decided to pass. Had Bailey been mocking him by dogging his heels like that?

Declan slammed his hand on the fence surrounding the track. "Goddamn it!"

Bailey McIntyre had made a fool of him again, even if no one else had been there to see it.

Copyright © 2017 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 51
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

As soon as I read that there was another runner on the track, I just knew it had to be Bailey. Poor Bailey who’s just minding his own business. Poor little Bailey who just got caught up in another one of Declan’s fantasies of a rivalry. ;-)

Link to comment

I know eventually Declan wil come to his senses but it hurt to see him diss Bailey just as it seemed the kid was glad to be acknowledged.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Of course it was Bailey on the track. It feels to me like Bailey's lonely and just wants to be acknowledge and accepted so he just focuses on his training. We'll just have to wait for his backstory.
Why are all high school football players in these stories such stupid, arrogant and self-centered brats? It feels so good to see them put in their place once in a while. Now I'm no athlete, but I'm pretty sure gymnastics is one of the toughest sport there is. Gymnastics are all about balance, coordination and endurance, which makes Chris challenging them to an endurance contest even more stupid. Bailey may be small but he's much stronger than he looks and I'm sure he could wipe the floor with Declan on weights as well.
Ultimately, I wish Chris and the football team ends up having to do a basic gymnastics practice to see how easy "dancing around" really is.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Interesting to see Justin's evaluation of Declan and his reactions. He rightly call BS when he sees it. Declan needs to face up to the fact he's in the wrong and should stop caring about what Chris thinks. And blaming Bailey is cowardly and stupid.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Just stopping by to say this story looks so good and I'm already hooked. Can't wait for Declan to see how harder gymnastics is :P

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 03/08/2017 07:21 PM, droughtquake said:

As soon as I read that there was another runner on the track, I just knew it had to be Bailey. Poor Bailey who’s just minding his own business. Poor little Bailey who just got caught up in another one of Declan’s fantasies of a rivalry. ;-)

Yep! Bailey has no idea of what's running through Declan's head.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 03/08/2017 11:46 PM, dughlas said:

I know eventually Declan wil come to his senses but it hurt to see him diss Bailey just as it seemed the kid was glad to be acknowledged.

Yes, Declan does seem like a bit of a jerk right now. I think every teen has moments of being a little self-absorbed, some more than others.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 03/09/2017 05:40 AM, Shadow086 said:

Of course it was Bailey on the track. It feels to me like Bailey's lonely and just wants to be acknowledge and accepted so he just focuses on his training. We'll just have to wait for his backstory.

Why are all high school football players in these stories such stupid, arrogant and self-centered brats? It feels so good to see them put in their place once in a while. Now I'm no athlete, but I'm pretty sure gymnastics is one of the toughest sport there is. Gymnastics are all about balance, coordination and endurance, which makes Chris challenging them to an endurance contest even more stupid. Bailey may be small but he's much stronger than he looks and I'm sure he could wipe the floor with Declan on weights as well.

Ultimately, I wish Chris and the football team ends up having to do a basic gymnastics practice to see how easy "dancing around" really is.

As a mother of a gymnast, I see how their strength gets 'overlooked' sometimes until they shock someone--mine out push-ups all the boys in her gym class every time, surprising everyone. So that's sort of where this story is coming from. Declan has only seen Bailey as this skinny-looking kid in baggy clothes in his math class before now.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 03/09/2017 07:52 AM, Timothy M. said:

Interesting to see Justin's evaluation of Declan and his reactions. He rightly call BS when he sees it. Declan needs to face up to the fact he's in the wrong and should stop caring about what Chris thinks. And blaming Bailey is cowardly and stupid.

Oh, it's definitely cowardly and stupid; he just doesn't see it yet. Justin calling him out on his BS just irritates him more because he sees Justin as one of the 'enemy'. Next chapter will be a little bit more of an eye opener for him.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 03/09/2017 01:16 PM, ghanbrews said:

Just stopping by to say this story looks so good and I'm already hooked. Can't wait for Declan to see how harder gymnastics is :P

Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying it! Yeah, Declan will have his eyes opened soon!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Surely we can't expect Declan, as a teenager, would admit that he was in the wrong. As a footballer, it would be just that more difficult for him to eat humble pie (to an athlete, that would be an unacceptable display of weakness) ... As we grow up we just become that much adept at hiding / suppressing our impulsiveness, prejudices and / or emotions; we pretend to be more mature ...

 

Yes ? No ?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

+Bailey, what little we've seen of him, seems like he needs and wants a friend outside of his teammates. Seeing this one sided rivalry going on between heand Declan is somewhat painful. It seems it will get much worse before it gets better. I can see Declan isn't a bad guy, but he's set himself on a destructive track I can't help but feel protective of Bailey even though he is physically stronger than he appears

  • Like 3
Link to comment

So Declan needs to think and make sense of his thoughts going through his head, and he runs into Bailey on the track -- the person who's putting all these thoughts in his head in the first place. And then in his frustrated and annoyed state, he totally disses the gymnastics team to Justin. Even my mouth was hanging open when he said all they do is dance around. lol It's obvious the football team has no idea what gymnastics is all about!

 

I just wanted to slap Declan upside the head; he was being so stupid.

 

Ok, on to the next chapter. :)

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

My heart broke a little when Bailey smiled at Declan and was dismissed by him with a "narrowed" look.  Though Bailey was already running when he arrived at the track, Declan now has a sense of persecution, deciding that Bailey had followed him to the track to "rub his nose" in his defeat.  Justin was ready to bury the hatchet, but Declan's mouth earned him a reaming instead. I hope that Declan comes to his senses soon; but right now, he's not a very sympathetic character.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..