Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 3,863 Words
  • 5,830 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Ripped - 5. Chapter 5

Declan met up with the guys outside of Ruffner Hall. They waited a couple more minutes for Alex to show up before heading toward the gates. They each pulled out their student IDs and scanned it at the guardhouse, marking themselves as leaving campus. It helped the school cross country and track the students, as well as ensure that everyone returned safely to campus who was a boarder. They waved at the guard at the gate before crossing to Heritage Square.

They descended on the small courtyard-like shopping area laughing and horsing around just off school grounds.

"Hey, how 'bout we grab some sandwiches from the deli? We can take them back, play some video games before everyone arrives for the movie," Jaime suggested.

"That sounds good," Ben agreed.

When they all tried to crowd into the tiny deli, earning a slight glare at their loud, rowdy behavior from the other patrons waiting in line, Declan shoved the others back out the door.

"Why don't you guys go wait outside? Jaime and I will order a bunch of different sandwiches for everyone," he suggested.

"Yeah, that sounds good," Chris agreed. "It's stuffy in here anyway."

Declan dropped into one of the chairs near the checkout to wait for their huge order to be ready. Jaime sat down next to him.

"So, you doing okay?" Jaime asked, leaning across the table.

"Yeah, why?" Declan frowned, pretending not to know what Jaime could be talking about.

"You know why. Everything that went on yesterday, with the Bailey kid and then Chris being an ass in the locker room about it."

Declan shrugged, attempting to pretend it didn't bother him. He knew it shouldn't. The more he'd considered Evan, Logan, and Micah's chastising, the more he realized just how much he'd let himself be governed by his own ego. He still felt his chest tighten anxiously when he thought about Bailey McIntyre and the whole push-up contest, but he forced back the thoughts of wanting to find a way to show the kid up.

Running had never been his thing, so he didn't know why that had even gotten to him so much. Except maybe he hadn't had enough sleep.

"Yeah, I was pretty pissed at first," Declan admitted. "And I said some crappy things to Justin this morning that I shouldn't have."

"I heard." Jaime grimaced.

"Oh, God."

"Yeah. It just didn't sound like you, Dec. I could see Chris saying something like that, but you? You really think that?"

Declan shrugged. Fuck, he didn't know what he thought anymore. "Sort of. I mean, don't you feel like we work harder than someone who jumps around on the floor or even swings a golf club?"

"Truthfully?" Jaime cocked a brow. "A little, but don't we all feel that way about our sport—that it's the best one out there?"

"Yeah, guess so."

"Order for Foster!" the clerk called out, placing two huge bags on the counter.

Declan and Jaime rose and gathered up the bags. When they stepped outside, they only saw Nick and Alex.

"Where's Chris and Eric?"

Alex was kicked back in the metal chair staring at his phone. Nick was leaning in staring over his shoulder at whatever game Alex was playing. Ben and Jose were chatting with a couple of girls outside the ice cream shop next door. Nick shrugged.

"Dunno. They said they'd be right back and headed off across the square. I think they were going to go check out a movie from the Redbox at the drug store."

"Oh, okay." Declan dropped the bags of sandwiches on the table. "Should I check on them?"

"Be my guest." Nick waved him on, not even looking up.

A chair screeched on the concrete as Jaime pulled it out and plopped down in it. "I'll wait here, guard the sandwiches."

"How long have they been gone?"

No answer.

"Nick!" Declan shouted to get his attention.

"What?"

"How long have they been gone?"

He shrugged again. "How long were you in the deli?"

"That long, huh?" Declan turned to head across the square. They'd been gone for at least twenty minutes, maybe more. He headed toward the last shop in the row on the far side of the square. The Redbox video rental machine was just inside the entrance, but he didn't see Chris or Eric.

Figuring they might have gone to check out the snack aisle, he was surprised to find they weren't there either. In fact, he didn't hear either one of their voices in the store—and he was pretty sure Chris couldn't be quiet.

He frowned as he stepped back outside. Jaime threw his hands up, as if asking 'Well?', and Declan shrugged exaggeratedly. Jose and Ben didn't seem to mind the extra time to chat up the girls, and Nick and Alex still hadn't looked up from the phone.

Declan jumped slightly when his phone buzzed with in incoming text message. He thumbed open his phone and noticed it was from Eric.

"About damn time. Where the hell are you guys?" he muttered to himself, figuring the message would answer the question.

What he saw had his heart rate spiking.

It was a video. And just the still image at the start had fear racing through him at what Chris and Eric might have done. Chris was an egotistical asshole, but Declan had never known him to become physically violent. He pushed boundaries like he had yesterday by trying to demand the gymnastics team leave the weight room, but he rarely obliterated them like he apparently had now.

Because the static image he saw had Chris kneeling on someone's back, pressing a kid's head to the pavement. It didn't look promising.

His thumb hovered over the play button. He had to know what had happened, just how far Chris had gone. He tapped on it, bringing it to full screen.

Chris was leaning over the guy he'd pinned to the ground. Declan missed what he'd yelled.

"I don't know what you mean." A hesitant voice came from the scared teen. Declan couldn't quite make out who it was on the tiny screen, but he could just imagine the pain Chris was inflicting by kneeling on the guy's spine.

"Oh, sure you do. That whole thing where you cheated in that pushup contest and made me look bad."

Declan sucked in a breath as Eric apparently zoomed in on their victim. Oh, fuck. Bailey. They had Bailey McIntyre. Declan's head shot up, eyes flicking around, searching. Did they still have him? Where were they?

"I didn't—" God, Bailey sounded like he'd had the air knocked out of him, Declan thought.

"You did!" Chris's anger flared.

"Oh, this is so good..." Eric's voice, from off camera.

Chris's eyes shot up, frowning at the camera. "What the fuck are you doing?"

"You said you wanted his confession on tape," Eric's disembodied voice explained.

"Yes, his confession, you idiot. Not me explaining the error of his ways to him."

"But you should see how scared he looks right now."

Jesus, Declan groaned, what the hell were Eric and Chris thinking? They were reveling in Bailey's fear. God, had his stupidity ever made anyone feel that afraid of him? Had he become a bully like Chris?

"Really?" Chris's voice pitched up in excitement. "Cool. But just start a new one for the confession—"

The video stopped. Declan's thumb dropped over it in shock, popping up a prompt to save it. He fumbled with it, his hands shaking, hoping he managed to cancel saving it, but he could barely focus on what he was doing at the moment. When he finally got the horrible image off of full-screen, he clutched at the phone anxiously. He stared at Eric's name in his text messages.

Was there another video of Bailey? What were they making him do? Panic seized him as he looked around. He had to stop them. He had to save Bailey.

Eric and Chris couldn't have gone far. Nick said they'd just gone over to the drug store to get the video, so where would they have run into Bailey?

Declan stepped further to look up street next to Carewell Pharmacy He didn't see anything, and almost turned around, when he heard:

"Don't mark him, Chris."

He froze at those words. Eric.

Don't mark him. They must still have Bailey. What were they planning on doing?

He heard a thud followed by a muttered curse. Bailey. Declan increased his pace.

"Don't you even think about talking about this," he heard Chris say just as he rounded the edge of the weathered building—just in time to see his team captain swing his forearm across Bailey's midsection.

Bailey crumpled. Declan knew he had to divert his teammate's attention from Bailey long enough to save the kid.

Declan stepped forward holding up his phone, showing Eric's video text as he snapped at his teammates. "What the hell is this?"

It was a perfect distraction, pulling Chris and Eric's scrutiny away from Bailey. Declan silently urged Bailey to run, but the teen didn't seem to be able to move.

Eric grinned over at him. "Thought you like to see Bailey's confession first."

"Confession?" Declan frowned at them both. He had to keep them at ease, on his side, long enough to help Bailey. "How is Chris sitting on Bailey's back a confession?"

"What?" Chris snapped, grabbing Declan's phone. "You sent the wrong one," he growled at Eric, and Declan had to bite his lip to keep from laughing. Declan watched Chris fumble with the phone. When he handed it back, Declan noticed that Chris had deleted Eric's message thread.

"Delete that video now," Chris ordered Eric, pointing at him angrily. "Before you do something else stupid with it."

Eric looked thoroughly chastised, knowing he'd screwed up, but trying to hide his embarrassment. "Duh, yeah, okay, okay. Just chill out, man." Eric mumbled, furiously trying to do as Chris demanded.

"At least you only sent that to Dec, here," Chris mumbled, before turning back to Declan. "While you're here, you wanna take a shot at him?" Chris kicked at Bailey's leg, and Declan jerked forward to grab Chris, but Chris's next words had him freezing. "He's not gonna say anything, right, McIntyre?"

Declan's eyes shot to Bailey, whose pale soulful eyes blinked up at him. Hell, he wouldn't say anything. Declan could read the resigned defeat in his face.

Then he realized Chris was staring at him, waiting for an answer. Fuck, Chris expected him to take some retaliatory strikes at the kid who'd humiliated him.

He groaned inwardly as he realized he'd had those very same thoughts just yesterday and this morning. But hell, he'd never actually follow through on them! He'd been stupid mad, but he wasn't a monster, was he?

"Nah, not worth it," he mumbled, turning away so they couldn't read the distress in his face.

His phone dinged again, and he saw a new text message from Eric.

"That's the right one," Eric explained. "That's the one we'll show everyone. Then the school will realize that the flyboy here had to cheat to come anywhere close to matching you."

Declan was glad his face was in the shadows of the building now, because he was sure he couldn't contain his shock at Chris and Eric's 'brilliant' plan to redeem themselves. What the hell had they gotten Bailey to say on the video that made them think anyone would believe he'd cheated?

Their entire football team and the gymnastics boys were all there as witnesses. They all knew Bailey hadn't cheated—

Although not all of the team had been able to see what was going on, especially in the crowded doorway.

Oh, hell. Declan suddenly realized that Chris intended the team to back him up, especially those who probably hadn't really seen anything. Even if the gymnastics team called them liars, there were over four times as many football players. All Chris had to do was show a few of the guys the video to get a little rumor started...

Declan glanced back down at Bailey. Those luminescent gray eyes opened and stared up at him. Would Chris destroy Bailey McIntyre to keep his reputation from being tainted?

Yeah. Declan strongly suspected he would.

Bailey looked like he might want to say something, and Declan hoped he didn't start cursing him out right now. Declan just needed to get Chris and Eric out of there, away from Bailey before they got any other brilliant ideas.

"Let's go, the guys are waiting on you so we can get back with the food and the movie. You did get the movie, right?" Declan tried to sound bored with the whole thing to get Chris and Eric out of there.

"Not yet. We saw McIntyre here, and well—"

"Go get the fucking movie!" Declan snapped, waving at Chris and Eric.

For a second, Chris bristled at being ordered to do anything, but he noticed Declan's clenched fists and narrowed glare, and suddenly smiled. He leaned in with a knowing nod. "Just want to take your shot at him in private. I get it. Just try not to leave marks that he can complain to anyone about." He narrowed his glare at Bailey again. "Not that he would say anything."

Then Chris was gone, jogging back down the street to the Square.

Declan had every intention of following, but couldn't seem to get his feet to move. He stared down at Bailey, stoically still propped up against the dumpster with his eyes closed. A few moments later, Bailey dropped his head forward onto his knees and felt the back of his head.

Oh, crap, could he have a concussion? Had they hit him hard enough—

"Fuck," Bailey groaned.

"You okay?" Declan finally asked, and Bailey eyes snapped open at his voice. Apparently, he hadn't thought anyone was still here. Was he that out of it? Maybe he should take him home, make sure he doesn't collapse on the way?

"Just go, please."

Declan was surprised at the almost pleading tone of his voice, especially after Declan had risked Chris's wrath to step in and rescue him.

"Although, I am sorry."

Declan's eyes widened. "Sorry? For what?"

A ringing cut off any reply that Bailey might have said. "Hello?" Bailey distractedly answered his phone.

Declan could hear a male voice on the line.

"Hi, Justin..." Bailey answered tiredly. Declan frowned down at him. How bad was the knot on his head?

Bailey listened, although Declan wasn't sure how much he really processed of what his teammate said.

"O-okay," Bailey said in response to whatever Justin had rambled on about. "Thanks."

Bailey snorted, almost like he was going to laugh, and Declan wondered what Justin had said. "No, I'm—I'm fine."

Declan heard another text notification and automatically checked his own phone. But it had to be from Bailey's.

"I'll talk to you later, okay?" Bailey finished his call before trying to stand up.

Declan instinctively reached to help him, somewhat shocked when Bailey flinched away. Had Bailey thought he was going to hit him? That's gratitude for ya, he thought in irritation. Declan stepped back as Bailey turned away from him, checking his phone.

Bailey typed a quick response, then shoved his phone in his pocket. Declan watched him scan the area then, snatched up his backpack. He frowned when Bailey just started wiping himself off as he started walking away. What? No, thank you for saving my ass?

"Hey!" Declan called. He had to say something. The guy had just been beaten up, and he was just brushing it off and walking away? Without saying anything?

Bailey didn't acknowledge him.

"Are you sure you're okay?" was all Declan could think of to say without sounding like he was looking for a little gratitude.

"I'm fine. God, that was nothing. Just go," Bailey grumbled without even turning.

Seriously, that was it? Declan couldn't stop his frustration from bubbling up. "Nothing? Really? You could at least say thank you."

Bailey whipped around, letting his backpack drop, and Declan instinctively recoiled at the anger radiating off the guy. "Thank you for what? Not joining in and beating the crap out of me? Gee, thanks."

Declan bristled at the notion that he'd done nothing to help save Bailey from Chris's wrath. "Chris hit you and had you pinned to the dumpster when I got here. I'm sure he wasn't here to chat."

"Seriously? Of course, he wasn't here to 'chat'. He's pissed that his team's precious reputation was blasted to smithereens by little ol' me."

Declan gaped at him. Damn, where the hell had that spirit come from? Bailey took a few steps to swipe up a duffle bag that was sitting in the shadows.

"For what it's worth, though," Bailey's voice dropped, and he almost smiled, "I am sorry for causing you any aggravation yesterday. I know the guys have probably been giving you a hard time about it. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Even you. Or Chris."

Declan flushed, dropping his head. Here Bailey was apologizing to him after he'd been such a jerk to him this morning. Hell, Bailey had apparently even thought Declan might join Chris when he'd walked up, hadn't realized Declan had actually been trying to help. But then what reason would Bailey have to think otherwise? Declan's guilt over his bitter thoughts about Bailey threatened to smother him.

He looked up to see that Bailey was already several yards up the street. "Are you going to turn him in?"

God, Declan hoped so. Chris really needed to realize he wasn't some invincible, untouchable sports hero, like he apparently thought he was.

Bailey didn't even slow down as he answered, although he did lift his free hand and rub at the back of his head. "What would be the point? He's the team's star quarterback. No offense, but—been there, done that, already got the t-shirt."

Oh, hell. Something like this had happened to him before? How could he just let it go like this? How many times had he not said anything?

Declan tried to argue with him. "But he hit you, you—"

"Oh, please, I've been hit harder by guys twice his size when I was a cornerback. Chris and Eric are nothing."

Declan froze. He'd been hit by—

Wait.

What?

Had he said cornerback?

What the hell? He couldn't have heard that right. Maybe he'd said he'd been hit by guys twice his size when he'd been cornered. Yeah, that had to be it.

Yeah. Because there was no way Bailey could have actually played football. Right?

Declan couldn't even begin to wrap his head around that idea. By the time his brain finally stopped short-circuiting, he looked around to find that Bailey was gone. Oh, hell. Was he okay? He'd been rubbing at his head.

Declan debated just going back to his friends. But what if Bailey collapsed on the sidewalk, or even worse, in the middle of the street and got hit by a car. Horrible scenarios were running through his head as he took off at a jog in the direction Bailey had been heading.

It didn't take him long to catch sight of the guy. While he was shuffling along, he didn't seem to be wavering or staggering like his head was spilling its guts. So maybe he was actually okay. Just in case, Declan followed at a discreet distance to keep Bailey from noticing.

When Bailey turned up the driveway of a classically handsome two-story home, Declan stopped, letting the tall bushes of their neighbor hide him in their shadows.

A woman was waiting for Bailey by the car, not even allowing him to drop off his bags in the house before she was yelling at him for being late, chastising him for having no respect for her time; she even noticed the dirt on his clothes and rolled her eyes as she flung her hand out.

"Really?" she snapped. "You couldn't even manage to keep your clothes clean?"

Declan tensed, wondering if Bailey was going to rat out the football team, specifically Chris and Eric and maybe even him.

"Sorry. I tripped," was all Bailey said, and Declan found it odd that he didn't explain more.

"You would never do this crap to your father," the woman snapped at Bailey, and Declan could see the stiff line of the guy's body. "Get in the car. We're late."

"Yes, ma'am," Bailey mumbled as he slid into the car.

Declan remembered overhearing yesterday that Bailey's dad was gone, probably on a business trip. Did Bailey act out with his mom when his dad was gone like this? Was he afraid of what his father would do once the man returned? Was his dad... abusive to Bailey?

Were Bailey's parents so strict they had to control everything, and that was why Bailey didn't live on campus? Declan had thought maybe it was because Bailey was a scholarship kid from the area, and couldn't afford to stay on campus. But it could just be that his parents didn't want him where they couldn't control him.

Buzz. Buzz.

Declan jumped as he phone vibrated in his pocket with a notification. He scrambled to grab it as he watched the car pull out of the drive.

A text message from Alex. But then he noticed the unread one Eric had sent. The one with the second video. He was deleting it before he even thought twice about, just like Chris had done to the first one. Declan didn't want any reminders on his phone of what Chris and Eric had done.

It wasn't until he'd finished hitting the delete button that he thought maybe he should have kept it. Maybe he should have shown it to the Dean or Coach. But then, what would happen to the team if Chris were suspended... or worse. Would the team blame him for ruining their season?

He shook his head, his chest tight with indecision and the weight of what he knew and what revealing it would cause. He opened the text from Alex. <where the hell are you? Chris said you were taking care of some trash>

Declan groaned. Of course, Chris would make some smart-ass comment like that. <just taking care of something. Be back shortly>

<Chris is anxious to get back>

<then go. I'll meet you back on campus>

He started walking back towards the Square.

<Jose and I are waiting for you by the deli>

Declan had to smile. <thanks, man>

He really did have some good friends who were looking out for him—Alex, Jose, Nick, Ben, Evan, Logan, Micah... He'd let himself get so wrapped up in his own world this semester that he'd forgotten what it meant to be a good friend. Now, he just needed to listen to what they'd been trying to tell him and maybe he could get his head out of his ass before he became one.



 

First time adding a chapter after the upgrades! Hope I got it right!
Copyright © 2017 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 62
  • Love 2
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Bailey sure is a tough kid. Two big football players beat him up and yet he gets up and goes home only to get yelled at by his mother! What a horrible mess!

 

This may be mild for you, CM, but it’s pretty traumatic anyway! Bailey reminds me of Kayden. I hope it’s just a coincidence.  ;-)

Link to comment

?Bullies the whole lot of them! And to know this is reality! Bailey's got to do something to stand up for himself. Some self defense or something. I just want to box Declan's ears to wake him up! He is already realizing that he is an asshole just like Chris. He'll have to take a stand sometime soon?

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Given Declan's state of mind I'm not surprised that he didn't immediately rush to Bailey's side. At least he had the presence of mind to get Chris and Alex away from Bailey and then follow Bailey home. He is slow on the uptake, but I think there's a good person beneath all that. He's confused and trying to fit in without losing status. He's the  teen who'll get it wrong before he gets it right because he knows what the right thing is. 

When he deleted the video it went to his trash bin no? So hopefully it's there until it's discovered? 

I think I have an idea about Bailey's dad but I can't be sure.. Also, is Bailey even human? A not brawny, ex-football player, gymnast, runner, outlasts and out performs the other football kid.. Impressive. I so want to know more about him.. 

 

Great chapter CM... 

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I really liked this chapter (not what happened to the characters). It is good to see Declan's character fleshed out: a conscience, a temper and still lacking the executive brain functions that teenagers must function without. For a school with seemingly a strong line on tolerance and anti-bullying, there sure is a lot of bullying going on.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Great twist about Bailey being a cornerback. You surprised me with his home situation, I conjured a dead or jailed father and a 'lost' mother, not an abusive one. I think you're setting up Declan to be a hero and hope you won't drag it out too much before you have him do the right thing.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Declan may have done too little too late, but his better nature is starting to show through:  He saves Bailey from an additional beating, and he shadows him home to make sure that he gets there safely--an anonymous act of good will performed despite the irritation of his mates, who are waiting for him.  What Declan does next with the info he has on Bailey's beating will be more to the point in defining Declan's true character.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..