Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 1,493 Words
  • 3,785 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shorts to Jump Into - 1. A Day Out (Exhaling the Past)

Prompt #435--List of words: the zoo, a spider, a policewoman, an ice cream cone, and a mime.
Exhaling the Past characters

Prompt #435—List of words: the zoo, a spider, a policewoman, an ice cream cone, and a mime.

 

A Day Out

 

I can't believe I'm standing here. In a girl's clothing shop. A trendy, expensive girl's clothing shop. On a Saturday. At the zoo also called a mall.

No wonder Ryan and Shane had ducked out of spending the day with me, my niece Emma and her friend—Ashley. Even the lure of new clothes couldn't get Ryan to agree to go shopping today, not with two tween girls. My adoptive son said he'd rather eat a spider, and my partner said he'd eat a whole bowl of them first. I didn't understand what would cause Ryan and Shane to be so melodramatic—until now.

"Oh, my Goooosh! Isn't this just the bomb?" Emma squealed, hitting pitches I was sure a 12 year old shouldn't be able to reach.

"EEEEE!" Ashley shrieked her agreement, bouncing on her toes.

Okay I was wrong, that was a pitch no one should reach.

"That would look sooo awesome on you!" Ashley turned and grabbed a bedazzled pair of pants. "And with these, it would be perfect!"

I clicked off the price in my head—$45 for a shirt, $60 for the pants. I wasn't sure why I'd even let myself be dragged in here, but apparently this was THE place to shop. This tween boutique flouted outrageous outfits with exorbitant prices. Hell, no wonder there were sale signs for 10% off everything. No one would come in without the lure of a deal—and even then, the prices were still ridiculous.

"Come on, come on, let's go try these on!" Emma pulled her friend toward the line at the dressing rooms.

I stayed where I was holding up the wall, trying to ignore the incessant chatter the two girls managed to keep up. They talked about singers I'd never heard of, which actor was the hottest in some TV show I'd never seen, and who was dating who at school.

They were twelve—there shouldn't be any 'dating' happening in my opinion. I mean, really, where were they going to go on a 'date'—the playground?

Of course, half of what they said was lost to me in how fast they were talking too. I swear my middle-age brain wasn't meant to process the light-speed chatter of twelve-year old girls. I must have rolled my eyes because a couple of moms chuckled and nodded their sympathy. I think I'd rather be sitting in my patrol car bored out of my mind than here. I made a mental note to buy my sister ear plugs for Christmas.

"Ta-da!" Emma bounced out of the dressing room to show off the pants and shirt. I squinted trying to determine how this shirt was different from the one I'd seen in Walmart last week. And—was there a rip in the pants? What the hell was that about?

"What do you think, Uncle Colton?" Emma asked sweetly. "It's cool, right?"

I guess with the holes in the pants it'd be pretty chilly, so I nodded. Ashley thought it was perfect of course.

"Soooo, can I get it? Please, please, please, pleeeease, Uncle Colton." And of course, she batted those cute little eyes at me. Damn it.

"How about I get you the shirt—" I saw the pout start before I even had a chance to finish. "—and I treat you both to an ice cream cone at the food court?"

Emma glanced at her friend, who looked excited at the prospect of the treat. And I think Emma was smart enough to realize odds were low that I was going to buy both articles of clothing anyway.

"Okay," she agreed and headed back to change.

They both returned, Emma handing me the sparkly purple shirt, and we got in line. Ashley had decided on a gem-covered diary from the litany of 'accessory' items the store sold.

"Isn't this so cute?" Ashley held up the book with an A in green gems on it. "I can't wait to write all about Jared! Isn't he the hottest guy ever?"

"No, no Caleb, you know the one in our science class—"

"Ooooh, yeah!"

"Brittney says he's hers, but she's just talking out her—"

"Em..."

Emma's eyes shot up to mine, apparently abruptly aware that I was glaring down at her, wondering what she was going to say. She threw me a bright grin before leaning in to whisper to Ashley whatever she was going to say.

I was so glad when it was our turn at the register. Ashley paid for her sparkly journal with the money her mom had sent with her for the day, and I forked out the $42.37 for the 'cool' shirt my niece wanted.

We squirmed our way back out through the crammed racks of clothing. Once free of 'teen and sparkly,' I breathed a sigh of relief. Emma and Ashley led the way toward the food court, bantering back and forth about God knows what—again, light-speed chatter—with giggling.

I wondered how my sister put up with the constant noise. I knew Ashley visited Emma at her house a lot, even stayed over sometimes. I don't remember my sister being like this when she was Emma's age. But I was probably avoiding her as much as possible as older brothers often do.

Of course, now I understood why my sister was so excited when I offered to take Emma to the mall to shop for her birthday. I figured it'd be easier to just take Em and let her pick out her own birthday present, rather than try to pick one out. When she asked if her friend Ashley could come along, I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

Hell, I can practically hear Shane laughing his ass off at me right now, the bastard.

Next time, gift card.

I followed the buzz of their gossip to the frozen yogurt shop, where they proceed to pick out flavors by how bright the color was—marshmallow yellow and cotton candy blue. I stuck to basic chocolate.

We found a table, and I settled back into my chair as Emma and Ashley's conversation morphed to what they were planning to wear for Halloween. I sat back and focused on my ice cream.

"Hey, Colt, fancy seeing you here," a voice, not of high-preteen pitch, drew my attention.

I looked up at my fellow policewoman with a broad smile. She had a couple bags in her hand from various specialty shops.

"Hey, Janet, how are you doing?"

"Good, just getting in some early Christmas shopping."

I rolled my eyes. "It's not even past Halloween yet."

"I know. I know. But I caught some good sales, plus I got to spread it out over a few paychecks," she reasoned.

Which made perfect sense. Maybe Shane and I should try that sometime, instead of waiting until the last minute.

Her eyes glanced at the two giggling girls. "So what are you doing here?"

"A day out with my niece, Emma, and her friend, Ashley," I introduced.

"Nice to meet you girls." Janet smiled warmly. "I work with your uncle."

"Oh, so you're a cop too?" Emma asked in awe.

"Yes, I am."

"Oooh." Ashley nudged Emma. "That would be a great costume."

Emma considered it. "Maybe."

Janet was nice enough to join in. "What else are you thinking of being for Halloween?"

"I'm thinking Katniss or a pirate," Ashley spoke up.

"I thought about a leopard or maybe Taylor Swift, but she'd be hard to do. I thought I could bring along my Ipod and play it while singing with it though!" Emma added excitedly.

I groaned in my head—more noise. I'm sure it wouldn't bother me as much once I had some distance from today's excursion...but still...just the thought of my niece singing at the top of her lungs had me cringing.

"Those sound like cute ideas. I remember my dad used to make all these odd costumes when I was little. I was a TV one time, with working lights," Janet chuckled.

The squeals of delight nearly made me drop my cone. Shit.

"EEEE! That sounds so cooool!"

"What else did he make?"

"Well," Janet pondered, "I was a camera once. And a bag of jelly beans. Oh, and an apple tree."

"Those are so awesome! Maybe my dad will help me with something like that!" Emma gushed as she looked over at me. I prayed she didn't expect me to make a costume. I was so not creative like that. "So what do you think, Uncle Colton? What do you think I should be for Halloween?"

I didn't have to think too much about what I'd like her to be—maybe right now.

"A mime," I said, crunching the last of my cone.

Hope you enjoyed this prompt!
Copyright © 2015 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Haha 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A mime!!! lol

 

The funniest line, though, IMO, was: "Where were they going to go on a date? The playground?" Ok, I'm paraphrasing here, but omfg, I almost fell outta my chair! Holy shit, that was funny, Mom!! :rofl:

 

The chapter also brought back a lot of awesome memories of my best friend and me hanging out at the mall and ogling all the cute boys, and of course talking about all the cute boys in school. Man, those were the days.

 

Awesome prompt, Mom! :)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

This one was very funny. I could feel Colton's discomfort at being in that situation. He did get out pretty cheap though or maybe I'm just used to extravagance. The killer line of the piece was mime. There is nothing quite as effective as complete silence. I will mime the rest, but you get the picture. :)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

A mime! That was great!
Poor Uncle Colton, I see a lot like him, sitting helplessly on the couches in the malls wishing they were anywhere else.
Great short CM..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/17/2015 12:10 PM, Parker Owens said:

I chuckled. Then I smirked. Then I just broke down and laughed. Awesome and spot on. Thanks for this one!

Thank you! A lot of my kids went into this one!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/17/2015 12:16 PM, Lisa said:

A mime!!! lol

 

The funniest line, though, IMO, was: "Where were they going to go on a date? The playground?" Ok, I'm paraphrasing here, but omfg, I almost fell outta my chair! Holy shit, that was funny, Mom!! :rofl:

 

The chapter also brought back a lot of awesome memories of my best friend and me hanging out at the mall and ogling all the cute boys, and of course talking about all the cute boys in school. Man, those were the days.

 

Awesome prompt, Mom! :)

Hehe, the playground comment actually happened at our house when my 11 year old daughter announced she was 'dating' Cole, whose a year younger than her. My husband asked her what she could possible mean by 'dating' him? Taking him to the playground? :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/17/2015 03:30 PM, drpaladin said:

This one was very funny. I could feel Colton's discomfort at being in that situation. He did get out pretty cheap though or maybe I'm just used to extravagance. The killer line of the piece was mime. There is nothing quite as effective as complete silence. I will mime the rest, but you get the picture. :)

Thank you! Thought we needed a little humor after the last story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/18/2015 03:10 AM, Defiance19 said:

A mime! That was great!

Poor Uncle Colton, I see a lot like him, sitting helplessly on the couches in the malls wishing they were anywhere else.

Great short CM..

Yes, I see many of 'him' lounging in the mall like that. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Wonderful :2thumbs:

 

I could just imagine what he was going through. I hate taking my ten year old shopping, because even now she just has to have just the right skirt/top/dress/etc. :rolleyes:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 10/18/2015 09:36 AM, Caz Pedroso said:

Wonderful :2thumbs:

 

I could just imagine what he was going through. I hate taking my ten year old shopping, because even now she just has to have just the right skirt/top/dress/etc. :rolleyes:

Hehe, isn't that the truth!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..