Jump to content
    Cynus
  • Author
  • 1,527 Words
  • 1,764 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rivers of the Dead - 16. 2 - 5 - The Toll

Don't forget to comment and react to this chapter! Also, special thanks to my Patreon Supporters: Michael, Bill, Charles, Amr, Don, James, Joe, Jos, Mark, Mark, Paul, Steve, John, Frank, and Sam. Couldn't have done it without them. Email me at Samuel.D.Roe@gmail.com to be put on my mailing list! :D

Caleb wasn't convinced of what he was seeing until he reached the bottom of the path and started walking toward the small tollbooth. The guard inside the shack looked up from his magazine, a boating magazine of all things, briefly acknowledged their approach with a glance, then returned to reading.

"A toll booth," Caleb said, pulling up short. "There's a tollbooth in the afterlife."

Orpheus stopped next to him and shrugged. "For you apparently. You have an interesting way of seeing things, I suppose."

"What's the purpose of the tollbooth?" Caleb asked. "Why would the afterlife need one?"

"To open the gate, I imagine," Orpheus said, pointing ahead at the large, golden structure blocking access to the causeway. "You do see the gate, don't you? I mean, it's right in front of you."

"Yes; I see the gate," Caleb replied dryly.

Orpheus raised his hands defensively. "Hey, I can only assume. Maybe you're really blind."

Caleb glowered at Orpheus and replied, "You know, you really are an asshole."

"I get that a lot," Orpheus said. "Don't know why. I'm just doing my job."

"You could do it with less sass."

"What would be the fun in that?"

"I don't know, maybe a bit more professionalism would make people like you more."

"You're just snappy because we haven't found your lover yet," Orpheus said.

"Yeah," Caleb replied, gesturing angrily at the tollbooth and gate, "and now there's a tollbooth in the way."

"Have you considered addressing that issue?" Orpheus asked. "I don't think it's going anywhere while you stand there bitchin' about it."

Caleb groaned and approached the guard. The brown forest service uniform came with a nametag which indicated the guard's name was 'Charlie'. "Excuse me, sir?" Caleb asked.

Charlie folded the magazine carefully as he placed it next to a clipboard on the sill of his booth. "Hello. May I help you?" he asked pleasantly. Too pleasantly, like he'd done this too many times before.

"I need to get on the other side of the gate," Caleb said. "It's rather urgent."

"You've got to pay," Charlie replied. "It's the law."

Caleb reached to his right-side pocket on his backpack and pulled out his wallet. He opened it up and saw how much cash he had. There wasn't much, but hopefully it would be enough. "I have some money. How much is it?"

"Does money mean anything to you?" Charlie asked.

Caleb shook his head and answered honestly. "Not particularly."

"Then keep it." Charlie picked up his magazine with a smile that belonged to everyone who had ever worked in Customer Service. "It has no use to me if it has no use to you." He opened the magazine and started reading again, ignoring Caleb entirely.

Caleb stepped back and rejoined Orpheus. "What am I supposed to do, Orpheus?"

"Why don't you ask the nice man with the Forest Service, honey?" Orpheus said distractedly. He fingered the guitar on his back, as if considering stopping to play some jaunty tune while he waited. This only made Caleb's glare intensify.

"Some guide you are," Caleb spat. He walked back to the tollbooth and addressed Charlie again. "What can I give you to get past?"

Charlie carefully lowered the magazine, folded it shut and set it aside once more before answering, clasping his hands together like he worked at a helpdesk. "Something you prize. Something you value. Something you care about."

"I don't have anything like that," Caleb said, shaking his head.

Charlie's eyebrows raised. "Didn't they bury you with something like that? Usually people do."

"They didn't exactly bury me," Caleb replied.

"Oh. Well that seems like a bit of a problem, doesn't it?" Charlie said pleasantly. "Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with." He started to reach for the magazine again but stopped short when Caleb addressed him again.

"At least tell me what lies beyond the gate," Caleb said.

"The River Acheron," Charlie replied, gesturing behind him with his open hand toward the causeway. "We built a causeway when I got sick of running the ferry. The gate serves just as well."

Caleb nodded in new understanding. "You're Charon."

"I have been known by that name," Charlie said, bowing in acceptance of the title. "You recognize me for what I am, don't you? You must know you're dead. Which means you must have come here alive." He didn't sound surprised, more like he was simply observing the fact for what it was. He regarded Caleb curiously, but otherwise asked no further questions.

"Sounds about right," Caleb replied. "I'm here to seek an audience with The Ruler. I am trying to win back the soul of my friend."

Charlie nodded. "A noble quest, but not adequate payment to get through the gate. I tell you what, I'm able to let people in when I have a lull, if you can wait awhile."

This was welcome news, and Caleb's eyes lit up with hope. "How long?"

"Approximately a century, give or take a year," Charlie said, smiling as if he were being helpful. Caleb groaned and stepped away from the booth, and once again returned to Orpheus. He didn't know what to do now, and what made it worse was Orpheus grinning at him like he was an idiot.

"Give him the knife, you dolt," Orpheus said, laughing.

Caleb looked at Orpheus in surprise. "What?"

"The knife," Orpheus said, pointing to it on Caleb's hip. "It's the one thing that means something to you. Give him the knife."

Caleb rested his hand against the knife. He didn't want to part with it, as it made him feel secure. Not physical security, but a safety that came with a sure connection to Ethan. Still, he didn't want Orpheus to know that was the reason. "But what if I need to protect myself?" Caleb asked.

"You think a single knife is going to be much protection from a danger found in the Land of the Dead?" Orpheus asked incredulously. "You're lying to yourself. That's not why you want to give it up. You don't want to give it up because it reminds you of your lover."

It didn't matter anymore, not if Orpheus could see right through him. He gave up denying the reason for keeping it and came clean. "I don't want to forget him," he whispered. "It's all I have to remember him by."

"Then don't drink the waters of Lethe," Orpheus replied. "If you avoid that, you'll be fine."

"Lethe?" Caleb asked. "You mentioned that before, with The Warden."

"I'll explain when we reach the other side of the Acheron," Orpheus said. "Now go, give him the knife. It'll be all right."

Caleb nodded then turned and hesitated. The knife certainly meant more than he wanted to show. It connected him to Ethan in ways he couldn't entirely define. But the longer he held onto the thought, the more he felt the weight of the backpack on his shoulders. He still had the journal, a piece of Ethan's past to connect them to each other. Remembering Ethan wouldn't be much of a struggle anyway, Caleb realized bitterly. The knife was just an object.

He nodded again, firming up his resolve, and unhooked the knife sheath from his belt. He returned to Charlie, who once again put his magazine aside in careful order. Caleb handed the knife up to Charlie and said, "Here. It's . . . it's all I have."

Charlie took the knife carefully and inspected it, checking its weight in his hands and the detail on the sheath. "Yes. This'll do nicely. Before I open the gate, whom did you say you were seeking?"

"His name is Ethan Pallet," Caleb replied.

"Was he buried with something to offer?"

"I believe so."

"Was he buried the way he wished to be?"

"No. He wanted to be cremated."

"Then you might find him along the river Cocytus," Charlie replied. "It may or may not be the next river you encounter, but it is the river of lamentation, where people lament mistreatment by others in their mortal lives."

"May or may not be the next river?" Caleb asked.

"Again," Orpheus said, placing his hand on Caleb's shoulder, "I'll explain when we cross the Acheron. Come on, the gate is open now."

Caleb glanced toward the gate and saw that it had indeed begun to open, allowing access to the causeway. Before heading toward it, he turned back and said, "Thank you, Charlie."

"Certainly, Caleb," Charlie replied, then gestured with his open hand toward the gate. "Welcome to The Underworld. Enjoy your stay."

Caleb and Orpheus walked through the gate together, with Caleb only glancing back once to see that Charlie had once more resumed reading his magazine. As he glanced back, however, he saw the woman behind Orpheus, watching him with the same longing as before. He considered commenting, but then saw the same cat-eyed dogs from the cave, now sitting in front of the closing gate, barring his passage back through.

He couldn't go back. His path was forward, and he reminded himself to leave the past behind him.

Don't forget to comment and react to this chapter! Also, special thanks to my Patreon Supporters: Michael, Bill, Charles, Amr, Don, James, Joe, Jos, Mark, Mark, Paul, Steve, John, Frank, and Sam. Couldn't have done it without them. Email me at Samuel.D.Roe@gmail.com to be put on my mailing list and find out more! :D
Copyright © 2017 Cynus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

PLEASE QUOTE OR LIKE THIS COMMENT SO I KNOW YOU ARE COMMENTING. :)

Also, check out the forum topic for this story!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Cynus said:

PLEASE QUOTE OR LIKE THIS COMMENT SO I KNOW YOU ARE COMMENTING. :)

Also, check out the forum topic for this story!

Omg the river Lethe I love you!!!!!!!! I love Orpheus's bitchiness!! Charlie a

Right. If I remember there are five rivers in the UW. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

Omg the river Lethe I love you!!!!!!!! I love Orpheus's bitchiness!! Charlie a

Right. If I remember there are five rivers in the UW. 

Five or six. There's the Acheron, Cocytus, Phlegethon, Lethe, and Styx, of course. There is also record of a sixth river, the Mnemosyne. I'll let you look into it on your own, though, since I used the mythology of the rivers and their symbolism all throughout the story, and I don't want to risk any accidental spoilers.

The Lethe is one of my favorites though. I actually like all of them... This image of Orpheus is also an avatar for me, as he's the character in the story I put the most of myself into.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
43 minutes ago, Cynus said:

PLEASE QUOTE OR LIKE THIS COMMENT SO I KNOW YOU ARE COMMENTING. :)

Also, check out the forum topic for this story!

 

Charlie as an update to Charon was a nice touch. Using the knife as a thing of value because it connected him with Ethan was a bit disingenuous. It was the same kind of knife Caleb gave Ethan, but it wasn't THE actual knife. I'm splitting hairs for the sake of discussion. I suppose if Caleb felt it connected him to Ethan, then it held value.

 

"Give him the knife, you dolt." You're showing some of your age, Orpheus.

 

Lake Cocytus was in the ninth circle of "Dante's Inferno." It was frozen and those guilty of treachery were consigned there. I know Dante isn't a party here, but it's an interesting aside.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 minute ago, drpaladin said:

 

Charlie as an update to Charon was a nice touch. Using the knife as a thing of value because it connected him with Ethan was a bit disingenuous. It was the same kind of knife Caleb gave Ethan, but it wasn't THE actual knife. I'm splitting hairs for the sake of discussion. I suppose if Caleb felt it connected him to Ethan, then it held value.

 

"Give him the knife, you dolt." You're showing some of your age, Orpheus.

It's a worthy point of discussion, and one I can address without spoilers, since I believe everything I need is already stated in the text. :) I absolutely love this question, by the way, so thank you for asking it.

Since Orpheus has already stated that the Underworld is a reflection of Caleb's perception and will, and Caleb has asked if 'will' meant the same thing as what Liz said it did concerning magic. Will is powered by emotion according to Liz, so . . .

As long as Caleb imposes his will over the knife through its perceived connection to Ethan based upon the emotional association to Ethan's suicide, it has value in the sense that Charlie/Charon was asking for. It is about giving up the emotional connection to the object in question, being willing to let go, more than it is about the actual objects being present. To all parties involved, it's simply symbolism represented in a somewhat physical form.

But yeah, I can see how that might be perceived as disingenuous, and I appreciate you bringing it up. :)

Orpheus is a grumpy middle-aged man terrified of growing old. :P

  • Like 3
Link to comment
46 minutes ago, Cynus said:

PLEASE QUOTE OR LIKE THIS COMMENT SO I KNOW YOU ARE COMMENTING. :)

Also, check out the forum topic for this story!

 

Your depiction of Caleb's visions are priceless. Orpheus will undoubtedly tell us more, but I suspect there is merely disappointment and twisted fate remaining before Caleb. The vision of Ethan in the spell still haunts me. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

 

1 hour ago, Cynus said:

PLEASE QUOTE OR LIKE THIS COMMENT SO I KNOW YOU ARE COMMENTING. :)

 

We've crossed the first river.....I am glad that Charlie didn't know about the journal (I forgot about it too). 

 

"You must know you're dead. Which means you must have come here alive." 

 

I am still trying to wrap my mind around that statement.   Does Caleb still think he is "alive" even though to be in the underworld he must me "dead".

  • Like 1
Link to comment
17 hours ago, drpaladin said:

 

Lake Cocytus was in the ninth circle of "Dante's Inferno." It was frozen and those guilty of treachery were consigned there. I know Dante isn't a party here, but it's an interesting aside.

Cocytus and the other rivers take different forms in literature throughout the ages. It's interesting to see how different people interpret things, and I love that we do. It's kind of like how we all derive different things from art, you know?

But how do you know Dante isn't a party here? ;) I found him very inspiring for my writing. I even named a character after him once. :D

I've actually never read "Dante's Inferno". I considered reading it when I was setting myself up to write this story, but then this story wrote itself in 8 days and I never ended up reading the book...
 

17 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

 

Your depiction of Caleb's visions are priceless. Orpheus will undoubtedly tell us more, but I suspect there is merely disappointment and twisted fate remaining before Caleb. The vision of Ethan in the spell still haunts me. 

Lingering ghostly presence on your mind, eh? Sounds like The Underworld is doing its job. I hope the Fates take you somewhere intriguing, though it may be dark.

17 hours ago, glennish said:

 

 

We've crossed the first river.....I am glad that Charlie didn't know about the journal (I forgot about it too). 

 

"You must know you're dead. Which means you must have come here alive." 

 

I am still trying to wrap my mind around that statement.   Does Caleb still think he is "alive" even though to be in the underworld he must me "dead".

That's one of my favorite lines in the story. More on the journal below.
 

15 hours ago, Stephen said:

I thought about Ethan's journal too. Looks like he'll keep it for now.


This is all about symbols. The journal and the knife represent different things. The rivers, likewise, represent different things. Keep in mind the principles of magic as described by Liz. Will, Knowledge, and Emotion. These three things are what fuel magic and also are what shape the reality of the Underworld. The symbols are Caleb's, and he will have to choose what to do with them. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
1 hour ago, Cynus said:

This is all about symbols. The journal and the knife represent different things. The rivers, likewise, represent different things. Keep in mind the principles of magic as described by Liz. Will, Knowledge, and Emotion. These three things are what fuel magic and also are what shape the reality of the Underworld. The symbols are Caleb's, and he will have to choose what to do with them. :)

 

Will, Knowledge, and Emotion direct everything, not just magic. :)

  • Love 1
Link to comment
50 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

 

Will, Knowledge, and Emotion direct everything, not just magic. :)

Precisely. ;) That's the magic of it! :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, amBIguoustwo said:

Eight days to write this! Amazing. It was just inside you trying to get out.

Well, to be fair I've wanted to write a modern retelling of Orpheus since I first heard the story. @Wesley8890 would definitely appreciate that bit of information. :)

It was really funny, too, because that was back in March, in the middle of my dry spell of being unable to write anything, and then, eight magical days happened.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

So many riddles for Caleb to figure out. If these mystical types could only speak plainly! But what's the fun in that, eh?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Puppilull said:

So many riddles for Caleb to figure out. If these mystical types could only speak plainly! But what's the fun in that, eh?

I'm certain Orpheus gets off on this sort of thing. :P

Link to comment

Awesome chapter. Charon the ferryman to welcome at the river of pain. Which means we should have hatred, wailing, fire, and oblivion ahead. Nice @Cynus

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, BlindAmbition said:

Awesome chapter. Charon the ferryman to welcome at the river of pain. Which means we should have hatred, wailing, fire, and oblivion ahead. Nice @Cynus

I learned something when researching this story. I had no idea that Charon is sometimes the ferryman for two different rivers. But I made Charlie right at home all the same.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..