Jump to content
    Dahawk
  • Author
  • 1,795 Words
  • 2,929 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Everything Changes - 3. Darkness Before The Light

Warning: This chapter deals with depression and the chance of suicide.

Everything Changes Cast:
Aaron Hawke - Alex and Brendan's Dad (k9 Police officer)
Mary Hawke - Alex and Brendan's Mom (Trauma Surgeon)
Alex Hawke - Brendan's 15 yo brother
Brendan Hawke - 13 yo
Derek Garrison  Cam’s Dad(Deceased)
Cameron  Garrison - 13 yo friend of Brendan and Alex
Joey Snyder - Alex's friend 15 yo
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Chapter 3: Darkness Before The Light

(Brendan’s POV)

Since the funeral, Cam has said only a few thank you’s. He just seems so lost. I have to find a way to make things easier for Cam, I thought to myself.

Hey Alex, can you help me in the kitchen?”

What do you need help with Brendan?” He asked as he strutted in.

“Well I am worried about the way Cam has been since the funeral, do you have any idea of something I can do with him to get his mind off of everything?”

“I would say take him to Kennywood Amusement Park, but I am pretty sure he would refuse to go. He is barely acknowledging us at this point. Why don’t you ask Dad about going up to camp for a week with him, you are old enough to go up and stay by yourself.”

So I pulled out my phone, “Dad, do you think you could take Cam and me up and drop us off at our camp? I think it would be good for Cam to get away from here for a little while. You know you can trust me. Last summer you allowed Alex and me to go up for a week, all we need is some groceries.”

Aaron sighed. “Son you might be right, Cam hasn’t been the same happy go lucky boy he once was. If…. I agree to let you guys go, you have to agree to watch him closely. I am afraid he might have PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder), if he doesn’t snap out of this soon we may have to get him a counselor. Do you agree with my terms?”

I nodded my head. “Ya, I agree Dad, I think I can get through to him without being around chaos all time.”

“Alright Brendan, I will call your Mom and have her get some easy groceries for you guys, and take you guys to camp in the morning.”

“Thanks Dad, I hope this helps Cam relax and be like he used to be.”

“Me too, me too…. I love you Brendan I will see you when I get home.”

I went into Cam’s bedroom, and saw him curled into a ball on his bed. He didn’t even acknowledge me when I sat down beside him.

“Cam… Hey buddy, I talked to Dad and he agreed to let you and me are go up to his camp for a while, ok?”

I think I heard a grunt, but I’m not sure. This has been his way of communication for the last week since the funeral.

“Do you want help packing a bag with clothes and stuff?” Cam just nodded.

My heart is completely broken, my best friend just doesn’t seem to be here anymore. When he sleeps, he has nightmares and wakes up screaming and crying. I really hope this works….

I grabbed his duffel bag from his closet, and threw in some socks, boxer briefs, shorts, shirts, deodorant, and his toothbrush. I went and packed my things into my hiking backpack, and then returned to Cam’s room. I laid down with him, pulling him into my body hoping he knows how much I love him.

At dinner Dad asked, “Are you boys all packed for camp?”

Cam just pushed his mashed potatoes around on his plate with his fork, like he was plowing a field. Mom and Dad just shook their heads.

I said, “Ya, I got us all packed. Mom did you get food for us?”

“Honey, I have had you boys long enough to know how teenage boys can eat, look at Alex.”

“Mom….” Alex whined.

Dad chuckled at my Mom’s comment.

(Cam’s POV)

After dinner I went back to my room and laid on my bed. I wished I could just go to sleep and never wake up. My dreams terrify me, I see my Dad being shot as I am running to him, I try to save him but I am always to slow.

Brendan came in my room and laid down beside me, pulling me into him. I wish I could say it made everything better but it didn’t. I feel so worthless and pathetic. I’m not worth loving, only bad things happen to people I love and care about.

I guess we fell asleep at some point, at 5 am Uncle Aaron woke us with a, “Get a move on boys!

Who in the world wakes up at this ungodly hour?

We both rushed through our morning rituals, and packed into Uncle Aaron’s Ford F150 super duty 4 door truck, along with Max. I guess Max thought he was staying at the cabin too. I know my uncle has been going to review boards to get cleared to go back to work.

I noticed Brendan put his guitar in the truck with both of our packs and groceries.

Brendan said, “Camp isn’t camping without a camp fire and music.”

Two hours later we pulled into camp.

 

(Aaron’s POV)

“Boys, I want you both to be safe while you’re here. Since I’m not cleared for duty, if either of you need me call and Max and I will be here for you guys. Lets get your things and groceries inside.

We made a few trips into the cabin, and soon the three of us were lounging on the porch while Max chased a squirrel in the yard.

After about two hours I said, “Well it’s about time for Max and me to head home, you’re mother left me a honey do list… I guess she figured I could get stuff done that I normally don’t have time to do. Boys I love you both, if there aren’t any problems I will see you both in a week.

Brendan smiled and hugged me while Cam put on a fake smile and walked inside.

Brendan looked defeated saying, “Dad I want my Cam back, I am gonna do everything I can to do that!”

Brendan I know you will try, just don’t get your hopes up, bye son.

 

(Brendan’s POV)

Dad headed home, so I went to search for Cam. I found him curled up on the bed in my room which we shared when we came to camp.

“Cam please talk to me, we all lost your Dad but now I feel like I am losing you….”

Brendan I don’t even know who I am anymore, and I sure don’t like myself.”

“Cam, you’re the same cute…” Oh, what the hell did I just do.

Cam’s posture stiffened, I guess he didn’t miss what slipped out of my mouth. Damn I can be so stupid.

We both laid on the bed in silence with mere inches between us but it felt like he was light years away.

Soon the silence was more than I could bear, I said quietly, “Cam lets go cook hotdogs on a campfire for dinner, and then I have something I want to sing for you.”

I went out got to get the fire going, while Cam reluctantly went and grabbed the hotdogs and buns along with condiments.

Brendan I know I am worthless in life, so you don’t have to try and be my friend anymore. You’re better off without me….”

“What the fuck Cam? How can you say that?”

I sat down and started cooking our hotdogs, while doing so I tried to calm down so I didn’t say something I would later regret.

After we both ate a few hotdogs, I went and grabbed my guitar.

Cam I want you to listen to this song, it means a lot to me and so do you….”

I started strumming on my guitar.

Singing….

 

Deep inside somethings got hold of you
Pullin' you away from me
But I wanna be your now and forever

Baby don't say no
Don't say nothing's wrong
or when you get back home
Or maybe I'll be gone

Stripping away all the layers
of lies and deception
Leaves nothing but devestation

For the first time in my life
I'm not to scared
to admit it
your my now and forever

If we to end this
I know the pain
But I will be strong
to start over

Baby please come back to home
For the first time in my life
I have a purpose

Come back home to me
Now and forever
You know it is true

I have a purpose
When you are down in life
I will stand beside you
Now and forever

Baby come back home soon

 

By the time I stopped singing, I had tears cascading down my cheeks and to my surprise so did Cam.

 

(Cam’s POV)

I can’t believe Brendan done that.

I just don’t think I can let him get hurt by being a part of my life.

“Brendan, you were my best friend since I learned how to walk…

“What do you mean were?” Brendan was really visibly pissed off.

“I don’t want you getting hurt because of me, I mean look my Mom and Dad died…”

Brendan tensed up, “You had nothing to do with them dying Cam, your Mom had cancer and your Dad was shot by a fucking criminal. I don’t get you right now Cam, you don’t need to blame yourself. Fuck…. Don’t you get it? I love you Cam, I mean I really LOVE, LOVE YOU. We are in this together even if you keep trying to push me away, I am staying put, until you come to your senses.”

Brendan leaned into me to where our foreheads touched, and he used his thumbs to wipe away his tears. My…. Our lips touched and he gently kissed him. Wow oh wow. It felt like electric running through my body from my head to my toes.

Uh, hmmm, I, wow, I cant believe that happened.

Brendan smiled as he caressed my face.

Cam, can you tell me what you are thinking that is keeping you so distant?

I squirmed around while I tried to find words for Brendan’s question.

“Brendan, I honestly am afraid if I keep loving you, you will end up leaving just like my Mom and Dad did. So if I don’t let you love me, you can’t hurt me.”

Silence settled in and you could see Brendan deep in thought.

Finally Brendan cleared his throat and said, “So you think if you push us away, ME, that will keep you from getting hurt? You are already hurting, if you haven’t noticed. You have pushed my Mom and Dad, Alex, and ME away! Get a god damn grip on this Cam, I love you now and forever.”

“Brendan are you serious about the now and forever?”

Of course I am, I swear this past week fried your brain. Who picked you up when you fell out of the tree and broke your arm? Who stopped Carson from bulling you in 6th grade? Who saved your sorry ass when you slipped and fell in the river? Think about it Cam….”

“Okay, it was always YOU.”

“Brendan what is going to happen with your parents if they find out about us? I mean what even is this between us?”

Brendan scrunched up his face and said “Well I know what I want and that’s for you to wake up and finally be my boyfriend. Honestly I do love you and its way more than friends. I think my Dad knows I am gay, and knows how I feel about you. But whatever happens we face it together.”

“Now and forever?”

“Now and forever!”

Brendan stripped down to his boxers, and he got me down to my boxer briefs. We snuggled up in bed, cuddling until sleep over took our bodies. For the first time since this madness started I actually had a good nights sleep.

This was a little bit of a shorter chapter, but i wanted to hit on gay teen suicide. If you, or somebody you know feel alone, lost, or depressed contact The Trevor Project at 1-866-488-7386. If this helps save one life, that was my mission. 1-866-488-7386
Copyright © 2017 Dahawk; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another chapter with formatting issues. Considering other stories post fine. Might consider getting pointers from @Cia. Just a suggestion. Id like to read your story.

Link to comment

Another great chapter. I'm glad Cam is starting to peek out from behind the curtains

Edited by Wesley8890
  • Like 3
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

Another great chapter. I'm glad Cam is starting to peek out from behind the curtains

Thanks Wesley, yes Cam is making progress. I am hoping he can start to gather his wits about himself. I believe we will start to see a little happier Cam in the near future.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Yes, the spacing issue has been fixed, but I can’t put it in Reader View in Safari even though it’s visible in Reader View in Firefox.

 

Thank you for including the Trevor Project info. There are resources for people who are depressed – I see a psychology therapist regularly (and a psychiatrist periodically) for my depression and anxiety so I’m speaking from personal experience. Talking helps, but sometimes medication works for some people too. There are no instant cures (I’ve been asking my therapists to wave their magic wands for years!), but things really do get better.

 

If you need to talk and don’t have anyone else, send me a PM. I’m not a professional, but I can listen. But try your friends first, they know you better than I ever could.

Link to comment
24 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Yes, the spacing issue has been fixed, but I can’t put it in Reader View in Safari even though it’s visible in Reader View in Firefox.

 

Thank you for including the Trevor Project info. There are resources for people who are depressed – I see a psychology therapist regularly (and a psychiatrist periodically) for my depression and anxiety so I’m speaking from personal experience. Talking helps, but sometimes medication works for some people too. There are no instant cures (I’ve been asking my therapists to wave their magic wands for years!), but things really do get better.

 

If you need to talk and don’t have anyone else, send me a PM. I’m not a professional, but I can listen. But try your friends first, they know you better than I ever could.

@droughtquakeThanks for sharing, to suffer from depression and ptsd from the death of my cousin, I find talking about my issues helps me more than my medications. With depression hitting so many adults and youth, i wanted this chapter to show support for our friends, family, and strangers that feel lost, depressed, and alone. Likewise anybody needing to vent, or talk about lifes troubles anybody can pm me and i can lend an ear to listen, and a shoulder to lean on. 

 

Rob

  • Like 5
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Thanks for another great Chapter. Nice to see you mention the Trevor Project and touch on the area of teen suicide. Hopefully Cam is going to come to his senses now.

Nice to have a new reader @chris191070, welcome aboard. Losing friends and family, the trevor project hits close to the heart. Hope that you enjoy the story as it unfolds.

 

Rob

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Very powerful chapter.  I am glad that Brendon is getting through to Cam.  Unfortunately this feeling of being "cursed" and pushing away loved ones is very common in people that have had a lot of tragedy in their lives. 

 

Thank you 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
9 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Yes, the spacing issue has been fixed, but I can’t put it in Reader View in Safari even though it’s visible in Reader View in Firefox.

 

Thank you for including the Trevor Project info. There are resources for people who are depressed – I see a psychology therapist regularly (and a psychiatrist periodically) for my depression and anxiety so I’m speaking from personal experience. Talking helps, but sometimes medication works for some people too. There are no instant cures (I’ve been asking my therapists to wave their magic wands for years!), but things really do get better.

 

If you need to talk and don’t have anyone else, send me a PM. I’m not a professional, but I can listen. But try your friends first, they know you better than I ever could.

 

That's lovely of you @droughtquake to offer yourself. Don't forget though it's sometimes easier to talk to someone who doesn't know you. A fresh set of ears and a different perspective can sometimes help too. It's a thoughtful and useful offer, that could just save someone. You really are a lovely human being.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I'm happy Cam is starting to seek the comfort and support offered. Another good chapter, thanks for sharing Dahawk.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, glennish said:

Very powerful chapter.  I am glad that Brendon is getting through to Cam.  Unfortunately this feeling of being "cursed" and pushing away loved ones is very common in people that have had a lot of tragedy in their lives. 

 

Thank you 

Thank you for reading @glennish yes Cam had been feeling cursed, only time will what is to come. 

 

Rob

Link to comment

Very nice chapter.  It's so easy to lose perspective when you're hurting.  Definitely shows the struggle many face on a daily basis.  Thank you!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Very nice chapter...intense and informative...Love the way you allowed Bren and Cam the time they needed together to sort and assess their feelings for each other...the song was a awesome touch!! The info at the end was fabulous for those in need of a caring, listening ear, willing to help!! Thank you for the lovely chapter!! :thankyou::heart:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
JayT

Posted (edited)

Okay,  I don't know any parents that would allow two thirteen year olds to go to camp for a week by themselves. Especially a cop! Maybe they would allow them to go pitch a tent in the backyard, or if they happen to have some acreage, go pitch a tent out in the pasture. Doesn't anybody else see a slight problem with this? 

Edited by JayT
Link to comment
On 8/13/2017 at 6:32 AM, JayT said:

Okay,  I don't know any parents that would allow two thirteen year olds to go to camp for a week by themselves. Especially a cop! Maybe they would allow them to go pitch a tent in the backyard, or if they happen to have some acreage, go pitch a tent out in the pasture. Doesn't anybody else see a slight problem with this? 

I don't see a problem with that. Growing up, I used have my parents drop us me, my siblings and our friends to our cottage. We had fun w/o our parents.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..