Jump to content
    Dahawk
  • Author
  • 3,916 Words
  • 2,467 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Everything Changes - 9. Coming Home

If you haven't read William's Love by @Bndmetl Chapter 44, I ask you to do so as this had a crossover from that chapter.

Everything Changes

Coming Home

Aaron stood in Derek's office cradling Dustin in his arms, swearing to himself "Lord I will never let anybody hurt this child again as long as I live." A stray tear trickled down his cheek landing on Dustin.

"Dustin, let's go sit down I promise I'm never leaving you again, but we need to talk. Okay, son?" Aaron looked into Dustin's eyes as he lifted Dustin's chin, and he gave the slightest of nods. Aaron directed them to a set of chairs in the corner of the office, as Aaron sat down he expected Dustin to sit in the other chair. However, Dustin stood in front of him looking expectantly. "Come here SON," Aaron held is arms open for him to sit and enveloped him when he sat down. Will, Liam, and Derek stood off to the side. Derek was there to facilitate the interaction as it was protocol for the shelter. Liam had already promised Dustin he and Will wouldn't leave his side. They tried their best to give Aaron and Dustin some privacy as they worked out their issues.

"You...." Sniff "Really? You promise I don't have to go back to foster care?" Dustin wiped his eyes with the back of his hand, looking at the floor.

Aaron rubbed small circles on Dustin's back gathering himself, "I promise you are going nowhere but home.... home, as my son now. I should have pushed the issue with Children Services before, but I had to worry about my family too...." Aaron sighed as his shoulders slouched.

Dustin looked up into Aaron's eyes with a questioning look, "What's wrong with your family?"

"Well, our lives have been a mess for the past month. My best friend was shot and killed, which I'm sure you remember the big funeral held in town." Dustin nodded and continued listening. "Then a few weeks ago my wife...." Aaron had a quiver in his voice. "Went to pick up my son and his friend, and they were struck by a drunk driver." He paused and glanced at Dustin as he steeled himself and pressed on. "My Wife was killed instantly, and Joey, my Son's best friend died in the operating room, Alex.... Well, he was hurt really bad, he's healing now and back home, but emotionally I don't know if he will ever fully heal. There is still a lot of pain in our house, so if you think you can handle being a part of all of our chaos, I will do the best I can for you." As he finished his abbreviated story of his family worries, Dustin tightened his arms around Aaron.

"I wanna.... I want to be a part of your family, I don't have anybody else." Dustin looked at Aaron, this time in the eyes. "Can I ask a question?" Aaron nodded his head. "Can you tell me a little about your family?"

Aaron's facial expression became relaxed and had a hint of a smile, "Well, first off Dustin it's our family." He patted Dustin's shoulder, "First there is Alex he's fifteen but turns sixteen next week, then there is Brendan he's thirteen, and last but definitely not least is Cameron he's thirteen also. Like I said earlier Alex is still recovering from the car accident, he really wanted to come with me but I only had enough time to get stuff organized for me to get down here as quick as I could so nothing happened to you." Squeezing Dustin's shoulder, he continued, "He doesn't talk much about the accident or his feelings about his Mom or Joey dying, but I have heard him screaming at night sometimes, I think he has nightmares and some guilt. Cam's Dad was my best friend and partner in the police department, he was shot and killed and I promised Derek, I would take care of Cam if anything happened and unfortunately it did. Brendan has been an anchor to the family, he's been trying to help pick everybody up when all of this happened but I know he's struggling too. Oh, my sister-in-law Auntie Joh she likes to be called moved in with us after the car accident, she's sort of become a second Mother to all of the boys. I think that's about it, and it's more than enough."

"When do we go home?" Dustin looked Aaron in the eyes, and with a slight smile.

"Our flight doesn't leave until 11 pm tonight, I wasn't sure how you would feel about me after the whole foster home incident. So, I was prepared for the worst." Aaron cringed thinking of the bad position he had left Dustin in. "Alex asked me to have you call him, once I spoke to you, I think he really wants to be there for you. Just let me know if you're having problems, and if you notice something I should know about Alex let me know too please." Aaron pulled out his cell phone and dialed Alex's number, as he smiled at Dustin.

"Hi Dad, how Dustin? Is he ok? Is there anything I can do to help him?" Alex fired off without taking a breath.

Aaron smiled as he chuckled, "Dustin is doing alright, and he isn't hurt he was staying in a nice shelter here and some really nice kids were looking out for him and making sure he was ok, the last question you can ask him yourself. I love you, Alex, hold on and I will put him on the phone." Aaron handed the phone to Dustin and smiled.

Dustin hesitantly put the phone to his ear, "Hello?"

"Hey man, I'm Alex, are you doin ok? Is there anything I can do to help?" Alex rattled off rapidly again.

Dustin smiled a big toothy grin, "I'm Dustin, I'm 'ight I've been worried about the police catchin' me and sending me back to that house again." He shivered as the words left his mouth. "I guess I worried about nothin' your Dad feels bad about it, and I really never blamed him. I just felt alone after he left me there, I guess after he saved my life I just.... I dunno.... I felt like if I had to have a new Dad I wanted it to be him." Aaron smiled and draped his arm over Dustin's shoulder.

Alex anxiously asked, "When are you guys coming back?"

"Your Dad said our flight is at 11 pm, I honestly don't know how long it will take to get home." He shrugged his shoulders as if Alex could see him. Aaron smiled as he watched Dustin.

"Well I'm waiting up till you're home tonight, I don't care how long it takes." Alex stated as a matter of fact, and heard a female in the background mumbling something, "Auntie Joh says "If you try to run from home, her and Max are gonna chase you down and she's only wearing a thong bikini." Honestly, if I see that I'm running away too." Alex snickered, "Quit it, ok, I won't run away, I'll just go blind!" He joked back to Auntie Joh. "Well Dustin I'm glad you're coming home I hope we can be friends."

Dustin paused for a second to think, "I'm sure we will Alex, I'll see ya later. Bye."

Alex sighed, "Bye, have a safe trip home."

Dustin handed the phone back to Aaron, "I think I'm gonna like being a part of your family." He snickered and smiled, like a small child opening Christmas gifts.

"Our family Son, our family...." Aaron smiled and ruffled Dustin's hair.

"Watch it, Dad...." Dustin froze as soon as the words left his mouth and trembled.

Aaron pulled Dustin into a tight hug, "It's ok if you wanna call me that, I'm sure your parents would want you to be happy in life, even if they can't be with you Son they will always be in your heart." Rubbing Dustin's back gently, as he finished talking watching Dustin relax some.

"Thanks.... Dad." Dustin tightened his hold on Aaron, as he left a few tears stray from his control.

Derek cleared his throat reminding the pair there were other people present in the room, "So I see everything is going to work out for you Dustin. You are a lucky kid, most of the other kids here don't have anyone but us here at the shelter." He smiled at Dustin.

"Thanks, Derek I don't know where I would be without all of you from the shelter." Dustin smiled kindly at him.

"Why don't you go back out with Will and Liam to play baseball, while your new Dad and I sort out the paperwork?" Derek nodded toward Will and Liam. Dustin looked at Aaron for permission, Aaron smiled and squeezed the boy's shoulder and urged him toward the two older boys.

"Let's go," Liam said enthusiastically taking Will's hand and leading the way out of the room. Dustin followed the happy couple with a grin so wide it took up half his face. They met up with Jason who was supervising the baseball game. They'd actually had enough players for two teams today because there were a few extra kids at the shelter who had finished workshops.

"Jase, we have a new pitcher," Liam yelled out to Jase on their makeshift mound.

"Ah, it's not really fair for you to pitch at these kids Liam," Jase yelled back laughing.

"Not me ya goof, Dustin. I'm going to teach him. Move your hind end boy," Liam said as he approached Jason. Will watched as Liam went through the basics of pitching a ball with Dustin. It was cute him hanging on Liam's every word. Will smiling in amusement, knowing that Dustin might have a little crush on his husband.

Dustin stood there smiling and nodding as Liam showed him how to properly hold the baseball to pitch a fastball. Liam gave him an affirmative nod after looking at how his fingers were holding the ball. Dustin, watched where Liam told him to place his feet on the mound, wondering if he could actually get the ball over the plate using the correct technique. Dustin nervously wiped the sweat from his brow. Liam grabbed a glove and crouched behind home plate urging him to try his pitch. He placed his feet firmly on the mound, watching the target Liam was providing him. Pulling his arm back, he hurled the ball as hard and accurately as he could, which was slightly outside but close enough to count as a strike. Liam smiled and yelled, "Great pitch but be careful with the windup so you don't hurt your arm." He said supportively.

Aaron wandered over to stand beside Will, "How's he doing?" Pointing towards Dustin with a smile.

"Fantastic, he got the first pitch over the plate. He's got a natural talent, you should keep an eye on that," Will said smiling, "Liam could have gone all the way, but he was attacked earlier this year and his arm hasn't recovered like he'd hoped. But he's a great teacher if Dustin ever decides he wants to pursue baseball he'd be a great pitcher. Have him keep in contact with Liam if he wants to give it a try. It's not enough to be good at a sport you have to want to play, have the heart and determination."

"Wow, I'm learning new stuff about Dustin and you boys, I really don't know how to thank all of you for everything you guys have done for Dustin. I would appreciate you letting him stay in contact with all of you from time-to-time, it would do him good to have extra friends of his own." Aaron smiled and patted Will's back.

"It was all Liam, he was able to get Dustin to open up. Granted he bribed him with Cash and C.C." Aaron gave Will a horrifying look. Will realized what that must have sounded like and corrected himself, "Our dogs," Will chuckled pointing to Cash who was cleaning his special place and C.C. was resting next him sunning her back.

Aaron chuckled, "I'm glad he likes dogs, or we might have had a problem with Max, he's a purebred Belgian Malinois. He's my K-9 partner for work, who lives as part of our family. Max is super protective over the boys, my Sister-in-law Joh thinks he's human and tries to sneak table food to him so he's become a bit spoiled since she moved in with us to help the family." Aaron shook his head laughing, thinking how bad Dustin was going to be spoiled by her. "You would laugh Will, one-night Alex and I, were giving her a hard time about her thinking Max was human, and she got all pissy and threatened to feed us both in her words, not mine "Canned whatever the hell that is." I actually lost my steak dinner to Max that night so all three boys clammed up so they didn't join me, while Max enjoyed a feast." Chuckling to himself, "Joh actually has a heart of gold, she has taken the reigns as the homemaker while I'm working pampering and spoiling each of the boys rotten."

Will chuckled, "That's too funny. Liam and I live with another couple, Ollie, and Kat. When Kat was pregnant we wouldn't dare cross her otherwise the same would happen to us," Will rolled his eyes, "Thank God, she's had the baby now and her hormones are back in check. She had grown men tip-toeing around scared of her."

Aaron let out a belly laugh, "I totally know the feeling, and prefer to be able to eat in my own house." Smiling he looked out onto the field watching Dustin pitch the ball some more as Liam continued working with him. The first batter approached the plate, Aaron clapped and shouted "Go get 'em, Dustin, I know you can do it!" Dustin glanced over and smiled proudly.

"That's the way Dustin, pay attention to the catcher. Let him guide your pitch." Dustin wound the pitch and hurled it straight over the plate. Jason called out a "strike," loud and clear for everyone to hear. "That's the way Dustin, you're doin' great," Will called out to the mound, clapping his hands in encouragement. He nudged Aaron, "Did you see that? I told you he was good," Will said grinning.

"He's really good, I hope he finds something to help keep himself busy, it will keep his mind off of bad memories. Alex can't play hockey this year, because of his injuries from the accident, I feel really bad for him, he has tons of trophies from all the years of playing." Aaron shrugged his shoulders, "I'm really pretty blessed Brendan can play guitar and sing way better than that damn Justin Bieber kid. Cam is just a kid you love from the time you meet him, he just loves everybody. When Brendan told us he was gay, and in love, with Cam, we couldn't be prouder that he found that with him. Granted they are both young, and things change, but hopefully, it will work out for them." Aaron boasted with pride of his kids.

Will shrugged his shoulder, "Liam and I were best friends since we were four-years-old. Liam knew he was in love with me since he was fourteen. I was late to the party, I only figured it out last year. Now we are married and only seventeen. If Brendan or Cam ever needs someone to talk to they can call us. If they let other people's opinions dictate their relationship, it won't work no matter how hard they try."

Aaron cleared his throat and smiled, "I couldn't agree more about relationships, I will be the boy's biggest supporter in whatever decisions they make in life. Each of them as an individual is so very talented and special to me. They deserve nothing but happiness in life." Aaron watched as the game was winding down and smiled proudly at Dustin. "That one...." He pointed towards Dustin, "He's such a special kid, I regretted having to drop him off at that damn foster home, but I was doing what Child Services dictated. I'm never letting anything happen to him again. I argued with a friend of mine that works for them. We came to an understanding that Dustin is being adopted by me, if I have to fight them from here to hell and back, I will." Aaron stated fiercely.

"We could use someone with your passion at our Foundation as an advocate for the kids. We have Theo and he's great, but he's also bound by CPS as to what he can do. I think we'll have to find someone that is purely for the kid's rights, so they have some type of constant support." Will said appreciating Aaron's passion for his family, blood-related or not.

Liam and Dustin approached Aaron and Will with smiles and were joking around, when Aaron spoke up, "Guys I would like to invite all of you out to dinner, that includes the younger kid that was hanging around with you earlier and I think the one kid's name is Jason? It would sort of be my way of thanking each of you for everything you have done, we have a few hours until our flight home." Aaron glanced towards Dustin and then his eyes settled on the older boys waiting for a decision.

"That's not necessary, we would be happy to come out to dinner with you, but we'll pay our own way. Would you like to meet our folks? I can ask them to join us if you like?" Liam asked Aaron and putting his arm around Lee as he walked over to him.

"You did so great Dustin, you're really good, have you played before?" Lee jumped in.

Dustin blushed, "I played in little league, but just sorta gave up and started skateboarding the older I got. But I think maybe I should check into leagues or even play in high school. Do you think that would be ok Dad?" He asked with a questionable look on his face.

"Yes, that would be great Son, I want each of you boys to follow your dreams," Aaron said lovingly. "Liam if your parents want to join that would be great if it's not an inconvenience." He smiled warmly towards the boys.

"It shouldn't be a problem I'll give them a call now," Liam said taking his phone from his pocket and walked away from the small crowd. Jason walked over with some of the baseball equipment in hand.

"Jase, Aaron has invited us out to dinner. Did you want to come and you can stay at our place tonight?" Will asked Jason.

"Uh... yeah, sure that'd be great, we're all going shopping tomorrow, aren't we?" Jason replied, "Should I get Stephen to go to your place after work, he's working till ten?"

"Yeah, do that," Will agreed.

"Can I stay too?" Lee looked up at Will fluttering his lashes at his big brother.

"Do you even have to ask Spud," Will ruffled Lee's hair affectionately.

Liam came back, "Yeah, Dad, Papi, and Mom are coming. We just have to let them know where."

"CHILI'S!" Lee, Jason, and Dustin all called out at the same time.

Aaron laughed, "Doesn't matter to me, you guys are driving." He shook his head, "Just remember we have to be at the airport by 9 pm for check-in."

"Cool, I'll text Mom and let her know. They'll meet us there, we should probably get a move on I've got to drop the dogs home first. Will you wait for Jase, I'll take the dogs home and Lee, you can come with me. We can swing by the Dads and get you a change of clothes for tomorrow," Liam organized his brother and husband and they nodded along.

******

"Will I can't thank you enough for everything. Dinner was wonderful, along with meeting your folks. They were very nice people. I hope we can all stay in touch." Aaron smiled at Will and glanced out the window at the sights.

"It was great spending time with you guys as well, maybe you can come back and visit when everything settles down for your family. We'd love to have you for a visit. It's not really exciting around here but we have a big extended family and you'd have a lot in common with most of them. Adam, specifically I think."

"Adam seemed pretty nice when I talked with him, it would be nice to meet him in person. Unfortunately, we will have to wait until Alex is healed up a bit, wouldn't be right for him not to have fun." Aaron stated while thinking of his other sons.

"Great, Dustin you got all of Liam's contact details, didn't you?" Will asked looking at Dustin through the rear-view mirror, "If you ever need us or lose our numbers, just call The William Sands Foundation and they will be able to get a hold of us." Will told them in earnest as he pulled up at the Departures drop-off zone.

Dustin hopped out of the car and went around to the driver's door and looked at Will expectantly. Will stepped out of the car and Dustin wrapped him in a hug. "I got all the information Liam gave me, thank you, and tell everybody thanks and I'll miss them."

"You will be missed, even though we only got to spend a little bit of time with us. If you pursue baseball, Liam will be happy to help you with anything. Have one of your new brother's video you pitching and send it to him. He'll give you pointers to help," Will pulled back from the hug, "Promise?"

"I promise," he beamed a smile towards Will and turned following Aaron into the terminal. Will watched as they both disappeared into the bustling crowd of people.

The flight was short but Dustin was worn out from the stress, and activities of the day and fell asleep against Aaron's shoulder.

"Dustin, wake up buddy...." Aaron gently shook his shoulder. "Son."

"Huh?" Dustin rubbed his eyes, trying to gather himself.

Aaron and Dustin retrieved their luggage after disembarking the plane and made their way to short-term parking. The approached the police SUV, and Dustin hesitated to look towards Aaron. "It's okay Son, I drive my SUV sometimes and today was sorta police business plus I didn't have to fight for a parking spot." He smiled and chuckled to Dustin. "Let's go home, Son!" They piled Dustin's belongings into the rear seat and drove home quietly.

Pulling into the driveway, Dustin's eyes widened as he looked at the house, "This is your house? It's huge!" He said excitedly, looking at everything he could.

Aaron laughed as he parked, "Well my wife was a very distinguished doctor, so we have done very well for ourselves. You have your own room inside, so you ready to go in?" He turned and looked at Dustin who nodded his head barely paying attention to what Aaron had said. Walking up to the door, Aaron carried Dustin's things and paused at the door, "Why don't you open the door since my hands are full?"

Dustin opened the door to the darkened house, as he did the lights flicked on and loud "Welcome Home!" Roared throughout the house from his new family.

Very special thank you to @Bndmetl, without her help, friendship, and support this story wouldn't have become so successful. Thank you the readers for your patience on getting this crossover event completed. Thanks, Rob
Copyright © 2017 Dahawk; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well I’m glad Dustin has had a happy outcome! He deserves it. Remember: car accidents are natural causes! Hint, hint!  ;-)

Link to comment

Well I'm feeling spoilt by you today one chapter from each of your stories and I'm enjoying all of them thanks 😘

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
25 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

A truly happy chapter! No death. No accidents. And a perfect homecoming!!!!

 

:rofl:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Well I’m glad Dustin has had a happy outcome! He deserves it. Remember: car accidents are natural causes! Hint, hint!  ;-)

 

Hey!!! That's not what you said about Liam's Dad!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
32 minutes ago, Bndmetl said:

 

Hey!!! That's not what you said about Liam's Dad!

But Liam’s Dad was a good guy, the evil foster care woman isn’t!  ;-)

Link to comment

Damn you for almost making me cry. That welcome home was awesome.  I am glad that Aaron’s family is growing.  Looking forward to another crossover when Alex is healed. Maybe. Dustin and Alex can heal together over their survivors guilt. Thanks for the new chapter. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, droughtquake said:

But Liam’s Dad was a good guy, the evil foster care woman isn’t!  ;-)

 

Fair enough, I see your point. In Foster care woman's case it would be natural selection, with Liam's Dad it was a tragedy and a life cut short.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Awesommmmmmeee!!:D Now we just have to figure out how to have Aaron and Max quit that police force and join the Sands Foundation!! What a great addition to the family...huh???:yes: Well...just thinking out loud..just a 'slight' suggestion..just a 'tiny little' wish...:whistle: ok...I'm  in the corner again...:wub:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:06 AM, Onim said:

Awesommmmmmeee!!:D Now we just have to figure out how to have Aaron and Max quit that police force and join the Sands Foundation!! What a great addition to the family...huh???:yes: Well...just thinking out loud..just a 'slight' suggestion..just a 'tiny little' wish...:whistle: ok...I'm  in the corner again...:wub:

 

It's always nice to have someone pretty to look at in the corner. I was going to go with a cheesy 'Dirty Dancing' quote but decided against it.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..