Jump to content
    Dahawk
  • Author
  • 5,962 Words
  • 5,429 Views
  • 19 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Family Struggles - 11. Bella's Birthday

Bella’s Birthday:

February weather was being as unpredictable as ever, Kyle woke up to his phone ringing, he fumbled around in the darkness to answer it. He was surprised to hear from the Superintendent that school was being canceled due to inclement weather.

Kyle shut off the alarm clock before crawling out of bed grabbing a quick shower, afterward he grabbed the envelope that Liv had given them from their dresser.

Once the pot of coffee was brewed, Kyle poured a cup before sitting down at the table. He pulled out the papers reading each one carefully, finally, he came across the post it with different attorney’s that Liv had recommended for the guys to contact regarding adopting the kids. After reading each of the papers carefully Kyle was determined today was the day to make whatever phone calls they had to make, in order to start the adoption process after Blu and he had spoken to the kids.

Kyle sat there filling out his part of the paperwork anxiously waiting for his husband to wake up, hoping that this week would go smoother than last week.

*****

Blu woke up, his hand going to the nightstand to grab his phone, checking the time. Eight-thirty glowed at him.

“Shit,” Blu panicked, he looked to the other side of the bed, reaching out it felt cold.

He jumped out of bed, put some sweatpants on then flew downstairs to find Kyle. Blu entered the kitchen finding Kyle sitting at the kitchen table engrossed in the paperwork spread out over the table.

“Blondie, do you have any idea what time it is?”

Kyle glanced down at his phone, “Ya, eight-thirty five,” he shrugged his shoulders.

“We are so late, what is going on?” Blu was almost hyperventilating.

“Babe,” Kyle rolled his eyes like their sons would do, “School was canceled because of the weather.”

“Oh,” Blu held his hand up to his chest, “Ya could have told me, I was having a freakin’ heart attack.”

“Do you think I would have left you sleeping if we had school?” Kyle chuckled as he picked up his coffee taking a sip.

“Maybe…”

Kyle roared, “Babe if I’m up I wouldn’t forget to wake you.”

“I guess we should let the kids sleep, huh? What do you want for breakfast?”

Kyle put down the pen he was using, “Maybe cinnamon rolls, we have a few dozen in a container in the fridge.”

Blu’s eye’s got big with excitement, “Are they Kaleb’s?”

“Yeah, he felt bad for everything the kids are going through,” Kyle smirked. “He’s a softie for the kids.”

“He’s a good guy,” Blu said. “Don’t tell him I said that,” Blu said quickly.

“If he heard you say that, you’d never live that down,” Kyle laughed as he got up to get the rolls out of the fridge.

“Right!” Blu laughed as he pre-heated the oven, then walked to the coffee machine.

Kyle placed the cinnamon rolls on a cookie sheet placing them in the oven, “Since, I woke up so early I read over the paperwork Liv gave us and filled out my part. I figured we could speak with the kids this morning, then call the attorney.”

It had been something Blu and Kyle had been talking about since they had been given the papers. They had been preparing a way to approach the kids so they didn’t think it had anything to do with their mother’s death. Kyle had told Blu to approach it with honesty and openness. They would have to deal with however the kids took it and be prepared for any questions they might ask.

Lincoln came into the room stretching and yawning as he headed to Kyle squirming his way into his lap, “We slept in,” he looked at his Dads, “What are you doing?”

Kyle slid the papers underneath the large envelope.

“I am making cinnamon rolls for me and Khan,” Blu took a sip of his coffee with a grin.

“Awe,” Lincoln looked at Khan who licked his chops, “That’s ok buddy, you can have the cinnamon rolls, I’ll have the icing.”

“No you won’t,” Kyle and Blu said at the same time.

“Com’on you guys are no fun,” Lincoln whined, “Khan looks sooo hungry.”

“Go and wake your brother and sister up please, before Khan actually does get your share of the cinnamon rolls,” Blu said.

Lincoln pouted as he slid off his Dad’s lap, “You’re mean, I love the icing,” he muttered as he headed up the stairs.

“Babe, he has a serious sweet tooth,” Kyle shook his head watching their little one walk up the stairs.

“We are going to have to watch that, Honey, I’m worried he’ll end up with diabetes and no teeth.”

Lincoln rushed back down the stairs sliding across the floor in his socks to his chair, “I’m back can I have my cinnamon rolls now?” He asked as he sat down in his chair.

Kyle laughed at his son who opened his napkin stuffing it in the collar of his shirt, before grabbing his fork looking expectantly.

“Please.” Blu corrected his son.

“Thank you,” Lincoln looked at him laughing.

*****

After breakfast the family went into the living room, the kids went to turn on the television but Kyle stopped them.

“Guys, Pop and I need to talk to you about something,” Kyle motioned for everybody to sit down.

“I didn’t get in the icing container, honest,” Lincoln’s eyes got big, he pointed at Khan, “He did it.”

Khan growled at his counterpart before he laid down.

“Uh huh,” Kyle mumbled under his breath, “We’ll discuss that issue with the both of you at a later time.”

Levi laughed as he looked at his brother and Khan, “He caught ya!”

“Shut u –“

Kyle cut off his son, “That’s enough,” he sighed, “We wanted to ask each of you a question.”

“Are we getting a new puppy?” Levi asked provoking a growl from his dog.

“Um… No,” Kyle knelt down giving Khan a good scratch, “We could never replace our baby… Could we?”

Khan accepted his affection before laying back down.

Kyle looked at Blu, “So umm… You know Pop and I love you all a lot.”

Levi looked at Kyle rolling his eyes, “Duh!”

Lincoln smiled devilishly, “Enough that I can have the icing container?”

“NO!” Kyle and Blu shouted.

“Aww…” Lincoln whined as his shoulders slouched.

“We were told something by Liv, that we,” Kyle reached out taking Blu’s hand, “hope you each would like.”

Lincoln perked up, “She’s bringing us a triple chocolate cake?”

Levi snickered as he watched their Dads eyes just about pop out of their heads staring at his brother.

“Dear God Lincoln, No.More.Sugar. For Christ's sake,” Blu shook his head, “as soon as the snow clears up, I’m taking you for a diabetes test.”

“No needles Pop,” Lincoln stared daggers at Blu.

“We’ll talk about it later, but seriously Link, if you don’t curb your sugar intake…” Blu said seriously.

Lincoln looked at Kyle with pleading eyes, “Dad it tastes so good.”

“Oh no, I’m on Pop’s side it's not healthy to eat so much sugary stuff,” Kyle crossed his arms.

“Fine,” Lincoln huffed.

“Anyway, please let your Dad finish, this is serious kids.”

“What we have to discuss could change everybody’s future,” Kyle glanced at their children.

Kyle had the kids undivided attention as the room became filled with angst.

“Liv gave us papers that will make it possible for us…” Kyle looked at Blu, “to adopt the three of you kids.”

Levi looked at his siblings gauging their reaction before turning his head back toward his Dads, “What does that mean?”

“It means,” Blu swallowed audibly, “it means that we are a family, but no one can take you away from us – ever. You’ll be stuck with us.”

Blu sat nervously looking at all three kids, Scarlett jumped into his lap climbing up wrapping around his neck. He reached his hand up tickling her under the chin for his own comfort more than anything else.

“I thought we were a family,” Levi looked at his Dads.

Kyle looked at Levi, “We are a family, what Pop means is we will become your permanent Dads, forever.”

Levi sat back on the couch quietly absorbing the new information.

Lincoln looked at Blu, “Like you would never be able to send us away?”

“We would never send you away, period. But the way things stand at the moment the government can take you from us.”

Lincoln reached out scratching Khan’s ear, “Can’t you stop them from doing that?”

“Yes, if we adopt you, nobody can take you guys away from us,” Kyle sat down between the boys, “Pop and I don’t want you to feel pressured by us wanting to adopt you.”

“Bella, sweetheart, do you want to tell me what you think? There is no right or wrong and you won’t upset us, your feelings matter,” Blu said, “same goes for you boys too. What are you thinking, ask as many questions as you want, we will listen.”

“Um… I don’t know,” Bella almost whispered.

Levi looked at their Dads with a serious expression, “How long would it take to adopt us?”

Kyle looked at the kids, “A few months from what I’ve read.”

Bella stuttered, “U…um, would we, um… have to change our, um… name?”

“You could change your names if you wanted,” Kyle answered as honestly as he could, “or you could decide to keep your name as it is.”

Lincoln looked at Blu and Kyle smiling, “So I can change my last name to be the same as yours?”

“Of course, you would be Lincoln Waters,” Blu grinned.

Lincoln smiled a toothy smile leaning against Kyle.

“Cool,” Levi chimed in, “I wouldn’t have to be a Dalton no more.”

Khan came into the room after going to the kitchen for a drink with slobbery jowls, he went straight for Bella. “Gross,” she chuckled pushing him away, he circled around until his hind end was in front of Bella, backed up and sat in her lap with his front feet still on the floor. “Get off of me, butt head.” Bella laughed.

Lincoln smirked at Khan’s antics, “Khan you’re such a good boy.”

Khan twisted around giving Bella a slobbery kiss.

“Ew!” Bella wiped her face, “So gross.”

“Be nice to him,” Lincoln laughed, “He’s gonna be our brother.”

“I was being nice, I didn’t say a quarta word did I,” she huffed.

Levi rolled his eyes, “I can’t believe you Lincoln, you just said a dog is our brother.”

Lincoln shrugged his shoulders, “I’m used to you, maybe if you used some soap Khan wouldn’t smell better than you.”

Levi glared at his brother, “I use soap! You’re gonna pay for that Link,” he balled up his hand planting his fist firmly in the palm of his other hand.

“Oooh… Big man, I’m so afraid,” Lincoln rolled his eyes pretending to shake in fear.

“Come’on guys be serious for a little while longer,” Kyle admonished the twins.

Levi sat up looking at his Dad, “He started it, he said I stink.”

Kyle leaned into Levi inhaling deeply, “Nope, you just smell like the boy we love.”

Levi smiled at Kyle, his eyes filled with unshed tears.

“What do you guys think about us adopting you, nobody has really answered us,” Kyle looked at all of the kids.

“I say yes, you care more about how we feel than our Mom ever did,” Levi answered with a quiver in his voice.

Arabella said distractedly, “Yes… will you get off of me mutt?” Bella pushed Khan again, “my legs have are going to sleep.”

“Aww…” Lincoln patted his lap, “come here, Khan. If I say yes can we have ice cream to celebrate?” He asked with a mischievous face.

Khan strutted over to Lincoln using the same tactic he did with Bella while staring at her making sure she saw he was receiving the attention he wanted.

“Oh my god, no more ice cream for a few days,” Kyle shook his head.

Lincoln chuckled, “Okay, I had to try. Yes, I want you to adopt me.”

Blu sighed, “Phew, thank god. I didn’t think we would ever get an answer.” He looked at his husband grinning, “Fire up the pens baby, we have paperwork to finish.”

“You got it, after that, I can call the Attorney and get the wheels in motion,” Kyle smiled as his heart was bursting with joy knowing that the kids wanted them to be their Dads permanently.

“But first, family hug, bring it in kids,” Blu stood with his arms out.

The group gathered for a hug, Khan decided to get in on the hug standing on his hind legs placing his front paws on the back of Lincoln’s shoulders, causing the boy to smile widely.

*****

After Kyle and Blu filled out the paperwork they called the attorney making an appointment to file a petition for adoption on Tuesday. Kyle called and asked Nan to babysit the kids for the few hours they would be gone which she accepted to do joyfully.

Kyle smiled after telling Blu his plans for the afternoon, “Boys, grab your coats we need to run to the mall really quick.”

Levi came out of the living room stretching, “Can we grab something to eat at a drive-thru?”

“You just ate a little while ago,” Kyle chuckled.

Levi shrugged his shoulders, “I’m hungry.”

“I guess we can stop somewhere, why don’t you see if Pop and Bella want us to pick something up for them,” Kyle said to the quickly retreating boy, “Link, get a move on we have places to go, people to see and all of that mumbo jumbo.”

Lincoln wandered lazily into the foyer grabbing his jacket, “What do we need at the mall?”

Kyle looked around making sure Bella wasn’t around to overhear him, “We need to get your sister a birthday gift,” he said in a hushed tone.

“Can we get something?” Lincoln said in his whiny tone.

“No, but if you hurry up we’ll hit a drive-thru and grab a burger and fries,” Kyle said motioning him to get his coat buttoned up.

Levi came back after speaking to Blu, “Pop said he wants a double cheeseburger with bacon and fries, Bella wants a fish sandwich,” he said as they headed out the door.

*****

Kyle and the boys arrived at the mall, they literally dragged Kyle to the video game store first off.

“Dad can’t we get a new game the ones you have are ok but they’re for old people,” Levi whined as he eyed up a new sports game.

Kyle looked at the price of the game, “How much of your allowance do you have?”

Levi pulled out his wallet opening it just enough so only he could see inside, “Um… twenty-two dollars,” he closed it quickly placing it in his pocket to keep anybody from reaching his life savings.

“If you can find something for that much money you can get a game if I approve of your choice,” Kyle soon regretted saying that as the boys scoured through every game in the store.

An hour and a half later Kyle was tired of standing around as the boys tested every game they thought they would like, “Guys, if you’re getting something lets go pay for it, we’re supposed to be here for your sisters birthday gift,” he said ushering the boys to the register.

Levi and Lincoln huddled together standing at the checkout sorting through the pile of games that definitely cost more than their combined allowance money whispering to one another.

Lincoln turned giving Kyle the sad puppy dog look, “Dad, can’t you help us get a few games?”

“Uh,” Kyle looked at the games, “No shooting games,” he sat aside the game.

Looking at the other three games which were family friendly type stuff he approved of the few remaining games.

“I’ll make you a deal,” Kyle looked at the boys, “I’ll loan you guys the difference if you both agree to do some extra chores for the next two weeks.”

Levi looked at Kyle, “Like what would we need to do?”

“Hmm…” Kyle tapped his finger on his chin, “You can wash Khan, sweep the kitchen floor for Pop, and take out the kitchen trash for the next two weeks.”

Lincoln chuckled, “Khan can shower with me.”

Kyle rolled his eyes, handing the cashier the difference for the games to hurry the boys out of the store.

Lincoln dragged Kyle to the pet store, “We could get Bella a hamster,” he suggested.

“That’s probably not the best idea buddy, Scarlett would get a little mad,” Kyle pictured Scarlett dragging the little thing around after having her time with it.

Kyle hurried the group on to the next store which Levi had ideas about. The boy browsed over gag type gifts such as whoopie cushions, remote fart machines, and other types of gifts a fourteen-year-old girl wouldn’t appreciate.

Kyle got an idea, “Guys lets try the jewelry store maybe we can find a nice necklace for Bella.”

“She’d like that,” Levi said as Lincoln nodded in agreement.

Once they arrived at the jewelry shop the boys set out on a mission to find the best possible chain they could find for their sister.

“Oooo… look,” Lincoln pointed to a chain in the display.

“Bella would love that, she likes hearts,” Levi said looking at the heart-shaped pendant with a small pink colored diamond chip in the center on a gold chain.

“I think that’s a perfect choice boys,” Kyle smiled at the boys.

After paying for the gift, the crew loaded up heading for the local drive-thru.

“Dad, can’t we get dessert too?” Lincoln asked.

“We can have a fruit smoothie if you want,” Kyle said looking in the rearview mirror as they pulled into the drive-thru.

“But that’s healthy,” Lincoln said with a scrunched up face.

“That’s sort of the point son, it’s healthy and it tastes good,” Kyle chuckled.

“If it tastes bad, do I have to finish it?” Lincoln looked at his Dad who was smiling at him in the mirror.

“No, just try it,” Kyle urged the boy.

“Ok,” Lincoln stared out the window at the huge display menu thing, “I’ll have the strawberry-banana thingy, a triple cheeseburger with extra pickles, mustard, and onion, oh, and a large order of onion rings,” he said causing Kyle’s stomach to churn thinking of the huge order.

“I’ll have a double bacon cheeseburger, small fries, and one of the orange smoothie things, Dad,” Levi said with certainty.

“Are you sure you chose enough,” Kyle chuckled as he placed their order.

The boys nodded their heads.

After getting their order the family headed for home.

*****

Lincoln and Levi were drying Khan after his bath, mani-pedi, and flea dip when the doorbell rang.

“Blondie,” Blu yelled out, “get the door, I’m up to my elbows in guac.”

Lincoln ran through in only soaking wet boxers, “I got it!”

Lincoln opened the door finding Chris, Steph, and the kids.

“Hi, Uncle Chris and Aunt Steph,” Lincoln said nonchalantly, “Hi, Destiny,” he smiled sweetly at the girl in her flowery dress. Lincoln turned offering his finger to Harmony’s hand, “How are you?” he said in a child-like voice.

Chris laughed at his nephew who wasn’t fazed by people seeing him in his boxers, as they came in the house.

“Hi Lincoln,” Steph said, “Did you just get out of the shower to answer the door?” she chuckled at him looking around confused.

“Uh,” Lincoln said looking at himself, “Nope… Levi and me were finishing giving Khan his bath.”

“You give Khan his bath?” Destiny asked curiously.

“Ya, Dad, loaned Levi and me money for a game so we’re doing extra chores,” Lincoln smiled, “I gotta go help finish washing Khan I’ll be back,” Lincoln said leaving the four standing in the foyer.

“Hi there,” Arabella said smiling as she was descending the stairs to the room.

Chris and his family hugged the birthday girl, “Happy Birthday Bella,” they all said together.

“Thank you,” she smiled shyly, “I think Pop’s in the kitchen if you want to come inside.”

“Hey guys,” Blu said as Arabella’s party guests walked into the kitchen, “Sweetheart, put this in the fridge for me. When you’ve done that, please go and lock the laundry door.”

Chris and Steph both roared with laughter, knowing he was doing this to irritate Kaleb.

“Still worried Kaleb’s going to break the new washer and dryer, huh?” Chris chuckled.

“Ya think, I’m pretty sure he’d only do it now just to piss me off. Shithead!” Blu said after making sure Arabella couldn’t hear them.

Kasey ran in from the foyer in his sloppy boots holding his hand out, “Quarta Unc Boo!”

“Gah! Every damn time,” Blu said putting his hands on his hips, “Does your Poppy plan your entry with my mouth or what?”

Kasey shrugged his little shoulders holding out both hands, “Notha bad wod quarta.”

“Okay, fine.”

Blu pulled his wallet from his back pocket, pulling out two fives, “This one is for now, the other is for when Unc Leb gets here.”

Kasey stood there admiring his newly acquired money.

“I see the tax collector got you already,” Jared chuckled as he walked into the kitchen holding Mason’s hand.

“What do you teach him for crying out loud. He’s gonna be like a billionaire or something by the time he hits puberty.” Blu huffed out a laugh at his brother-in-law.

Jared laughed pointing at Mason, “It’s his way of preplanning for Kasey’s college fund.” He paused kissing Mason’s cheek.

“Aww,” Blu said tilting his head fluttering his eyelashes at Jared, “Get a freakin’ room already – not the laundry.”

Kasey tugged at Blu’s pant leg.

“What?” Blu held up his hands, “I didn’t say a bad word and I’m all paid up for the evening anyway.”

“You men to,” Kasey laughed his giggling filling the room.

“Hmm, can you hear Levi calling you?” Blu smirked, “I think he’s in his room getting ready.” ‘He better be,’ Blu thought.

“Comen Evi,” Kasey flung his coat at Mason as he scampered off.

Kyle came into the kitchen smiling, “Somebody was in a hurry.” He walked over to Blu kissing him, “Babe, the boys used your cologne on Khan.” He chuckled.

“Well, I’m sure you’ll figure out the difference between us, one’s furry and runs hot, the other smooth and is only hot for you.” Blu laughed at his own corny joke.

“Hmm… it might be difficult but I’m sure I’ll manage,” Kyle laughed.

The front door slammed shut getting everyone’s attention, as they waited in the kitchen to see who had arrived. In waltzed Nan, with the Judge slowly following behind her. She kissed Blu on the cheek, then grabbed Jared on the ass, her eyes narrowing at him as he squeaked and jumped away.

“Oops, wrong one.”

Nan reached over and pinched Kyle on the ass cheek, “Meh! No difference.”

She turned her focus back to Jared again, spying him holding hands with Mason.

“Holy Crap! You too? Is there a straight man in your damn family? I’m pretty sure even Rudy was giving his bodyguard guy the eye in your dorm room that day.”

Jared turned a bright shade of red, “Um… Ya, Mason and I are dating, Nan.”

“Well, I can see that, I might be old but that doesn’t mean I’m stupid,” Nan said in a huff.

Stephen laughed at his wife catching a glare from her, “Uh, she’s a spry little lady, I love her dearly.”

“Yes, and we all thank you for taking her off our hands.” Blu laughed.

Thwack!

“Ow, Nan, that’s domestic violence you know.” Blu waved his hand around, “Tell her Judge.”

“Are you out of your mind? I’m not sleeping on the sunporch again,” Steven said looking at Blu, “I’ve learned my lesson, this old dog knows which battles to pick.”

The couples Grandson rolled his eyes, “Sounds about right.” Blu rubbed his head.

“Mom leave the boy alone if you keep hitting him on the head like that he’ll be too stupid to teach today's youth – maybe – anyway just stop hitting him.” Doug admonished his mother as Lily and he closed the door, walking into the kitchen.

Nan waved her hand dismissively, “Whatever, he used to eat paste, and wear jorts, I’m surprised he was allowed to catch the regular bus to school.”

Kaleb and Davis walked into the kitchen hearing Nan’s rant.

Kaleb looked at Blu smirking,”Did you ride the short-bus Blu?”

“Leave Pop alone,” Arabella said defensively as she walked through the crowd, Tony obediently following.

Blu wrapped his arm around his daughter hugging her, “Yeah, you tell them, sweetheart.”

“Oh, Bella,” Lily said arms out, “Happy Birthday my baby girl.”

Lily stole Bella from her Pop, hugging the stuffing out of her. Bella giggled.

Kaleb looked at Tony narrowing his eyes on the teenager, “Are your intentions still good young man?” Kaleb chuckled as he interrogated the boy.

Tony couldn’t nod his head “Yes!” quick enough as he answered.

“Good, then we are still friends,” Kaleb smiled at Tony clapping his hand on the boys back.

“Just remember young man, I’m a trained doctor and a coroner. ‘Dexter’ would be a welcome fantasy if you ever hurt her,” Davis said menacingly barely keeping the smile off of his face.

Doug started laughing, “Boys leave the kid alone. They’re right Son, so watch your step,” he winked at Tony.

Levi actually came to his rescue because he wasn’t sure if the older boy was about to poop his pants or cry.

“Tony’s cool leave him alone, we got a new game if you wanna come try it,” Levi motioned with his hand giving the boy an out.

The frightened kid couldn’t leave the kitchen area quick enough, “Thanks, man,” everyone heard as they left the kitchen.

Bella turned to her Dads, “Look what Tony gave me for my birthday,” she said showing her Dads the silver snake bracelet with a charm that was shaped like a heart that said, “Always in my heart.”

Kyle looked at the bracelet narrowing his eyes at it, “U… umm… it’s beautiful Sweetheart,” his eyes shifted to Blu.

“That’s sweet Bella, why don’t you go and rescue your boy before Levi actually cling wraps him to the couch.” Blu nudged Arabella through to the living room, then turned to Kyle, “Where the hell are we going to bury that kid? The ground is frozen it will be too hard to dig the grave right now.”

All eyes went to Davis.

He held up his hands defensively, “Hey, no way.” Davis shook his head, “I was just kidding with Tony. You guys are on your own.”

“What the fuck?” Kyle said looking in the direction of the living room, “She’s not allowed to date until she’s like fifty.”

“Yeah, I agree with Kyle, she’s too young,” Blu said sadly.

Kaleb looked at his brother and Blu, “I can take him to the rough part of town and drop him off, nobody would know a thing.”

“Hmm, I don’t know he’s kind of my favorite student. The other’s follow his lead,” Blu said. “But we’ll see… we’ll see.” He tapped his finger on his chin.

“He’s such a nice kid,” Kyle muttered. “How are we supposed to handle this?”

“They are fourteen you let it play out, if you forbid it, that’s when things start going wrong. It’s not like they are running off to get married.” Doug gave the boys a knowing look.

“I guess, but if he hurts her I’m going to hurt him,” Kyle grumbled thinking nobody could hear him.

“Aw, I love you Blondie,” Blu leaned forward kissing Kyle.

“Love you too Babe.” Kyle sighed, “This is supposed to be a party, let's get it started.”

“You get the music going husband of mine, the rest of us will load up with food plates to bring with us. Help yourselves to a drink I’m too lazy to serve you,” Blu said with his arms full then picking up a bag of chips with his teeth.

Kyle turned on music that all of the kids listen to nowadays, which the boys downloaded on their laptop.

Kyle shook his head as the music started beating out its melody, “I don’t get what you kids like about this stuff.”

Blu laughed, “I know right, we’re only twenty-five and this music makes me feel like I’m from an older generation.”

Lincoln got a wicked smirk on his face, “You’re an old fart Pops, deal with it.”

“Shithead,” Blu muttered to himself.

“Cool,” Nan called out and started imitating the singer, “Lil Pump!” she said halfway through a line of lyrics, high fiving Tony and Levi.

“Dad,” Kyle turned to Doug, “I think Nan needs professional help.”

“That thought just occurred you?” Doug cracked up reaching for the corn chips.

Kyle cringed as the song played.

“Uh…” Kyle looked around the room his eyes settled on Blu, “Maybe Bella should open her gifts?”

Blu nodded, then walked over and turned the hellish music down so it could be heard but not felt. “God I feel old!” he thought to himself.

Kyle went to retrieve the gift that the boys help pick out for Bella, returning quickly.

Kyle handed the gift to Bella, wrapping his arm around Blu’s waist, who then snuggled against his husband while they watched Bella. This is the first birthday among their kids and the two men were probably more excited than Bella.

Bella placed Scarlett on Tony’s lap.

Khan appeared next to Bella, his weight leaning into her as she unwrapped the gift. That was probably because he could sense her uneasiness with the situation. Who knows how long it has been since she got to enjoy her birthday let alone have this much fuss made about it. Kyle and Blu stood nearby nervous as hell, hoping Bella would like what they had given her.

As Arabella ripped off the paper she wore a nervous smile, the wrapping revealed a felt jewelry box. Bella slowly opened it, she looked at the contents, then at her Dads, then back to the piece of jewelry. She carefully pulled out a gold chain that had a heart pendant with a heart-shaped pink colored diamond in the center of it.

Bella held the necklace in one hand, her other covering her mouth.

“Uncle Kaleb, could you put this on me please?” She asked shyly.

Kaleb was standing next to his niece when she asked him to help her, while her Dads watched on arm-in-arm.

“Sure Bella,” Kaleb said unclasping the chain as she stood in front of him holding her hair out of the way, he carefully placed the delicate chain around her neck securing the clasp, “there you go Sweetheart.”

Bella held the pendant in her hand gently as she walked to her Dads, “Thank you, so much.” Hugging her Dads together she whispered to them, “I love you.”

Kyle had a tear in his eyes as she released the hug, feeling his first true connection to his daughter. “We love you too Bella,” pulling her back into another hug.

Blu wiped his eyes, he for once was speechless.

Once they released Arabella from their embrace he pecked Kyle on the lips before snuggling back into him. He was beside himself with happiness. This was the first time any of the kids had told them they loved them, even though Kyle and Blu told them every day. They had been waiting for the kids to feel the same way.

Lincoln looked at his Dads with a flabbergasted look, “Hey, we,” he flapped his hand between his brother and himself, “helped pick that out too.”

Arabella giggled, then grabbed both Levi and Lincoln in a big hug.

“Thank you, it's beautiful,” she said to them both.

The twins smirked at their Dads after Bella released them from her hug.

Levi turned his attention back to his sister, “You’re welcome you should have seen some of the god awful stuff Dad wanted to buy you.”

Kyle tapped the back of Levi’s head as the twins snickered.

“Hush or I’ll tell her what you wanted to get her originally,” Kyle chuckled as the twins eyes bulged, both becoming extremely quiet.

Kaleb and Davis gave their niece a gift certificate to a nice hair salon, which Lily promised to join her making it a girls day out along with Steph and Liv.

Chris and Steph got Bella a gift certificate for two, to the local movie theatre, which got them both the evil glare from Kyle.

Kasey walked over to Bella handing her a gift certificate to the bookstore from his family, “Ella you ead to me now?”

Bella crouched down giving Kasey a hug, “Anytime, Kase, I’m sure I can find something that you will like, maybe you can come with me and pick one out.”

Kasey clapped his hands, “I go hoppin Daddy.”

“Great,” Jared rolled his eyes. “He’s addicted to shopping,” he muttered.

“Sorry Uncle Jared, I forgot,” Bella said contritely.

Mason slapped Jared on the arm, “Ass!” he then turned to Bella, “That would be nice Bella, I’ll take you both after school one day this week, he has enough in his bad word jar to buy himself a book. But we would like to come with you.”

Jared looked at his niece after rubbing his arm, “Sorry, Bella, I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings, that was a very nice offer.”

“Thanks, Uncle Jared,” Bella said hugging both Jared and Mason.

Jared nodded his head smiling at his niece.

Nan jumped in, “Me next,” her husband cleared his throat behind her, “Oh, okay, we’re next,” she waved her hand dismissively at Stephen.

She handed Bella wrapped presents, the young girl opened the first of the two gifts. Bella held up a nice picture frame for everyone to see, then turned it around so they could see the picture of Nan and Stephen on their honeymoon. They were both dancing the hula in grass skirts in Hawaii. Bella giggled as she put it down on the table. She then opened the second package, it was a first edition copy of “The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.”

Bella’s eyes were the size of saucers, her tears finally made an appearance, “H…how did you know that was my favorite book?” She moved in Nan’s direction.

Lincoln pulled a twenty dollar bill out of his pocket smiling mischievously waving it around, “I’m good at picking gifts,” he giggled.

“Zip it, Sweets,” Nan said in a stage whisper, reaching out to hug Bella along with Stephen.

“Thank you so much,” Bella said turning around and running her hand delicately over the writing on the front of the book.

Liv gave Bella a pretty cashmere sweater, which had Bella feeling the fabric for at least five minutes.

“Here you go Sweetheart,” Lily handed Bella another wrapped gift.

“Oh my god,” Bella said as she unwrapped an Ipad, with another stream of tears.

“Now you can read stories online,” Lily smiled sweetly at her Grand-daughter.

Blu was by Bella’s side in an instant as she became overwhelmed by all the beautiful gifts. He gathered her up in his arms, Kyle reached out for the two holding them both tightly in his embrace.

“You deserve the best Sweetheart, this is your day,” Kyle kissed Bella’s cheek as he embraced her along with his husband.

Sorry for the delay, we want to thank our Beta-Readers for helping us provide you the best possible reading experience we can. Also, a very special thank you to each of you readers who continue to support our writing and leave kind words and reviews.

Coming soon, the adoption, Kaleb and Davis's wedding...
Copyright © 2018 Aaron Hawke & JT Babbage; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 32
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It was always clear that Bella loves her brothers and mothered them due to the negligence of their parents. But it hadn’t been as obvious that Levi, in particular, was as aware of Bella’s interests and preferences. Levi has mostly been the defender of the trio, but hasn’t appeared to be one who pays attention to little things.  ;-)

 

Kaleb and Levi share personality traits, but Levi also seems to share Kasey’s love of cash!  ;-)

Edited by droughtquake
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, empresslovesreading said:

I'm somewhat afraid of Kaleb and Davis' wedding. The food will be fabulous and the entertainment will be, ummmmmm, entertaining, to say the least.

We know the DJ has the beginnings of a playlist already!  ;-)

Link to comment
Quote

Kasey clapped his hands, “I go hoppin Daddy.”

 

“Great,” Jared rolled his eyes. “He’s addicted to shopping,” he muttered.

It sounds like someone always gets stuff when they go shopping. The boys all need to learn how to say ‘No’ and be consistent. My parents didn’t have much money so it was easy for them to consistently say, ‘It’s too expensive. We can’t afford it.’ I mentioned that to a fellow bus rider (a young mother) once and she genuinely seemed shocked, asking me, ‘You can do that?’ If you’re consistent, you’ll minimize the times that your kid will have a meltdown because you won’t buy him or her a toy or candy. But you have to work as a team – it doesn’t work if one of you gives in!  ;-)

Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Dahawk said:

Drought I realize we are getting old, however, it wasn't Levi, it was Lincoln the usually quiet, sugar addict.

Oops!  ;-)

 

Link is very observant!

Edited by droughtquake
Link to comment

Such a sweet chapter. Bella is such a sweet girl, Tony had better treat her right or he’s likely to get some serious grief off everybody. Looking forward to the adoption, hope there’s no complications.

The Wedding will be fun.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Such a great chapter full of good emotions.  They are gonna make the family permanent with the adoptions I just hope there are no snags in the proceedings.  Bella’s birthday was awesome with some great gifts and a lot of love.  I foresee a trip to the candy store for Lincoln with his crisp new $20 bill though. I do love each of the kids personalities shining through.  Bring on the adoption and the wedding.  

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

As usual, another great chapter....more chapters*, DaHawk!!

 

*More chapters of both stories, I mean!!!    😀

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Loved this chapter.

As bad a start as Bella, Levi and Lincoln had, Kyle, Blu and company can absolutely turn it around.

There will always be scars from what they endured with their Mom but the love and attention they are receiving now will make that a minor fault line in their foundation.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

“my legs have are going to sleep. - have gone or are going either one works here, but not a combination.

The Old Troll in my personality admits to being a little frustrated. The Editor\Reader staff you are using is, in general, doing such a good job that I can find very little to carp about, keep up the good work, Guys. it makes reading a real pleasure.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Lovely chapter. So many cute touches throughout. Bella deserves the best, such an angel, and she dropped the L word nearly making me cry. Maybe the judge could give the boys some advice about the upcoming adoptions. Can't get enough of this awesome story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..