Jump to content
    Dahawk
  • Author
  • 3,715 Words
  • 3,014 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Fire Valley - 2. Crazy Day

Fire Valley

Crazy Day:

Jake reported to the station feeling all happy and good about how the day would go. After Jake had his morning briefing from Command, he was off to the common room to deliver updates to his crew. If only he knew how this day would turn out, after a few cups of coffee, the day just became one bizarre mess after another.

Jake and his crew were dispatched to a bat in a bedroom. Jake tore the call sheet off of the printer scratching his head while looking at Peyton, “I’m afraid to ask, but how the fuck does a bat get into your bedroom?” Jake chuckled, “Any ideas how to remove a bat from a residence?”

Peyton shrugged his shoulders, “I guess that’s why you get paid the big bucks Lieutenant,” Peyton was laughing hysterically as he crawled into the rescue.

Jake crawled into the officer’s seat glancing over his shoulder at his crew who were all snickering, “You guys are so much help, I appreciate it,” picking up the radio he reported en route to the call.

Once they got on the scene Jake went inside to locate the little-winged vermin. Jake went into a bedroom which was quite dark and soon located the problem as it swooped at his head causing him to duck, he scrambled back to rescue finding his crew lounging around the rig. “Would any of you be interested in helping get that damn thing out of the house?” The guys rolled their eyes, but Peyton jumped up grabbing a broom from a compartment declaring himself ‘I am Batman.’ Jake sighed at the sight of Peyton being dressed in bunker gear baring a broom as a weapon, “Come on Peyton lets get this over with.”

The bat appeared to have an attraction to Jake. “I can’t find it, Jake,” Peyton called out, the instant Jake entered the room it only came out of hiding doing a quick fly-by of Jake’s head.

“Jesus Christ, Peyton, get this damn thing,” Jake was flailing his arms to keep the bat off of his head. Multiple swings of the broom and a broken lamp later the pest was well contained in a bed sheet that Jake carried outside before freeing the little pest.

Jake herded his men into the rescue and they swung into Philippe’s Deli to do a fire safety inspection, it was their private lingo for grabbing lunch. Jake grabbed a Pastrami sandwich and chips, while Peyton came out carrying enough food for a small army. “Peyton, what are you going to do with that much food?”

“Hey we get a discount when in uniform, so whatever I don’t eat on duty is for lunch or dinner tomorrow,” Peyton shrugged his shoulders and crawled into the rescue. Jake laughed at Peyton before he got into the truck.

A few mouthfuls of food later the radio came to life sending the crew of Rescue 27 to a cat stuck in the wall. Peyton leaned forward in his seat with his mouth hanging open, “How does a cat get stuck in a wall?”

Jake had a feeling in his gut nothing was going to be simple today, “I’m sure they will have a very interesting excuse,” Jake rubbed his forehead regretting getting out of bed this morning, a cat in a wall, this sounds like an urban legend.

A short drive later they pulled up to a sprawling house and a short elderly woman came scampering out shouting, “My Puddin’s is stuck help her.” She grabbed Jake by the hand and dragged him with superhuman strength through the house to a wall that he could hear a cat crying from, “Do you hear her?”

“Ma’am I can hear it but what do you expect me to do?” Jake had a puzzled look on his face.

“Get her out! You young fool,” Granny clamored.

Jake looked at the Granny and then back at the wall, “Uh… you realize we are going to put holes in the wall to get Puddin’s out right?”

“Are you slow in the head?” Granny crazily strutted around the room.

“Okay,” Jake shook his head walking out to his crew, “Guys get yourselves some tools that old coot wants us to take down her walls to free Puddin’s.”

Jake, do you really think we should be doing a demo of this ladies house?” Peyton had a perplexed look.

“She called me a young fool,” Jake chuckled, “when I asked her about putting holes in her walls, she even referred to me as a bit slow in the head,” the crew all howled with laughter, “Get in there and get that damn cat. Make sure she knows we aren’t responsible for the damages she wants us to do.”

The crew went inside commencing project freedom while Jake called and spoke to the Chief explaining the ordeal he was in. The Chief laughed at Jake and said,it’s her house free the pussy.” Jake disconnected the call and walked back to the residence finding the walls looking like swiss cheese.

Peyton, did you locate Puddin’s?” Jake examined the damage that was done.

Peyton shook his head, “No Sir,” he walked around tapping the walls that were left still intact, “I think she might be in here,” Peyton said pointing his finger.

“Just find her,” Jake said as the elderly woman came after him with a broom and dustpan swatting Jake.

“Get outta the way, you’re worthless these young boys are helping,” Granny mumbled after she swatted Jake a few more times.

Peyton made another hole in the wall pulling a black kitten out that was covered in drywall dust, “Here you go Ma’am,” He handed the kitten to the lady, “She needs to be cleaned up a little.”

Well, what am I paying you boys for? Clean her…” Granny shoved Puddin’s back in Peyton’s arms, and Jake laughed at him.

“What are you waiting for Peyton?” Jake rolled his eyes, “Clean Puddin’s so we can get out of here.”

“How?” Peyton stared at the dust-covered cat.

“No clue,” Jake got a mischievous look on his face, “Use the trash line with low pressure.”

Spinning around the Granny pointed at Jake, “Didn’t I tell you to get outta the way? You really are slow in the head.”

Peyton returned with multiple scratches and cuts. Puddin’s was dripping with water as Peyton carried the cat at arm's length while it hissed giving him the glare of death. Granny took Puddin’s from Peyton’s grasp pulling her into bosom singing praises to her little hellion.

Jake was standing beside the rescue when Peyton emerged from Granny’s house, snickering at the disheveled looking Peyton. “Let's get out of here this day is such a pain in the ass,” Peyton whined as he threw his bunker coat in the cab of the truck.

As the Rescue backed into its bay Peyton hopped out and headed for the showers. Peyton walked past Pete who worked on the Truck crew, “Hi Peyton,” Pete said sickly sweet as Jake came around the back corner of the Rescue. Jake mutter some unintelligible words under his breath to himself walking toward the office.

“Hey Pete,” Peyton gave a slight smile as he kept walking.

Jake sat behind his desk filling out his reports, and then he tossed the unfinished reports aside, thinking about what he’d overheard, Jake felt his blood pressure rising and his face felt flushed. Jake went to the common room and got a cold bottle of water from the fridge taking a long draw from it. Returning to his office he became determined that he misunderstood the way Pete was talking to Peyton, pushing himself to finish the reports he quickly completed the reports and filed them into the outbox, for transfer too headquarters. Jake went out to the truck room, where he saw Peyton sitting at the table talking to the other guys and sat in an open chair. Jake joked good-naturedly with his fellow firefighters until Pete made his presence known.

Pete walked behind Peyton and stood behind him; Pete then started to rub Peyton’s shoulders which placed a look of fury in Jake’s eyes. Jake stood up trying to control his emotions, “I forgot some reports I need to finish, I’ll see everybody later if you need me I’ll be in the office.” Jake walked off muttering words that nobody could understand, but ‘son of a bitch’ seemed pretty clear then a door slammed loudly.

Jake sat at his desk trying to calm himself he started rubbing his shaking hands. Jake pulled out some reports that headquarters had asked him to review from previous shifts. Jake started to review the paperwork, but his mind kept coming back to what he saw in the truck bay and his rage seemed to rekindle itself within moments. Before long Jake was pacing his office like a caged animal, he became determined nobody was going to touch Peyton but him. The only problem was Jake wasn’t sure if Peyton was his to wage this war for, Jake punched his fist into the desk causing himself unneeded pain. Jake cursed himself and walked past the table where all of the guys were seated and glanced in that direction and saw Pete sitting where he had been earlier. Jake went to the rescue and grabbed an ice pack for his hand and slammed the compartment door shut, and stormed back to the office where he slammed the door closed.

Peyton heard the door slam again and got up to go check on Jake. He knocked on the office door and waited until Jake motioned him in. Peyton saw Jake sitting with the ice pack on his hand, “Jake what happened?”

“Nothing, it’s stupid,” Jake mumbled unable to make eye contact with him.

Peyton walked to the corner of the desk and took Jake’s injured hand along with the ice pack in his hand and examined it, “Nothing huh, looks like you won, Jake what did you hit?”

Jake felt a searing heat surge through him, “The desk ok?” he said in a humiliated tone.

“Why Jake?” Peyton placed the ice pack back over Jake’s battered knuckles.

“Hmpff,” Jake winced still avoiding eye contact with Peyton, “I got jealous when I had no reason to be…”

“Jealous?” Peyton scratched his head, “Oh of mister touchy-feely, Pete’s an ass he has hit on me since shortly after I got stationed here.”

“I shouldn’t have gotten jealous we’re just friends Peyton,” Jake pulled his hand away from Peyton’s touch.

Peyton stared at Jake who seemed determined to look at anything but him, “Jake, I don’t know what you want if you won’t even tell me what you’re thinking.”

“What I’m thinking…” Jake stood up and paced behind his desk, “I’m mad… no, I’m pissed… I wanna kick Pete’s ass for touching you… FUCK… I wanna be more than friends, but my position, it… it makes that a difficult thing to pull off.”

Peyton thought it was sweet of Jake to be so jealous of Pete and his behavior, “Jake sit down, and look at me please?” Jake sat down with his shoulders slouched and looked up at Peyton, “I care about you Jake if you wanna be more than friends; I think that’s great. We’ll figure out the hurdles as we go okay?”

Jake perked up and smiled, “We have to be really careful Peyton with whatever this is between us because of headquarters and rules.”

“That’s fine Jake just quit beating up desks, I promise you I’m not interested in Pete,” Peyton snickered a shy smile flickered on his face, “I’m surprised Pete’s gaydar doesn’t have him in here trying to ride your leg, he’s worse than a dog in heat.”

***Audible Tones over the radio***

Truck 36, Rescue 27, Engine 15, Ambulance 45 respond structure fire 1425 Wholesound Road reported entrapment. 21:35 hours

Jake jumped up from his chair as Peyton and he ran to the Rescue the crew jumped into the turnout gear and hopped into the apparatus. Jake reported en route as the Rescue pulled out of the station with lights flashing and sirens blaring.

Before the Rescue ever got on Wholesound Road, Jake spotted the orange glow and coloum of smoke in the sky. He keyed up the radio, Dispatch... Truck 36 Coloum of smoke sighted en route, upgrade the call to a second alarm Lt Roberts . Rodger Lt Roberts 2nd Alarm dispatch. . Jake twisted around in his seat facing his crew, “Guys keep your eyes open, we have a working fire I want each of us coming home safely tonight.”

Dispatch... Truck 36 on Scene, Working Structure Fire – 1425 Wholesound Road fully involved. Then his crew prepared for entry to do search and rescue as the engine crew started fire suppression. Jake stood by his radio maintaining command of the scene as the highest ranking officer. Everything seemed to be going as planned until - HIGH-low HIGH- low tones came out of all the radios on scene - Engine 15 hailed a Mayday for Rescue 27 crew due to structural collapse Firefigthers Inside the structure. Jake confirmed with dispatch the Mayday call and sounded all available alarms. All crews on scene switched to search and rescue of Rescue 27 crew members, without Jake even having to say so, their training and brotherhood bonds kicked in.

Pete stumbled out of building with smoke and steam still coming off his scorched gear, “Peyton and Mike are down Jake,” Pete dropped to his knee’s, pulling his mask off, Ambulance 45 attempted to tend to Pete’s injuries but he refused treatment and wanted to go back into the building.

Jake saw Pete arguing with the paramedics, “Pete I don’t have time to argue with you but you’re benched go with the medics, that’s an order,” Jake returned to the place he was running the incident command from, looking at the building plan showing where the teams had been sent into, ‘Where the fuck are they?’ Jake growled to himself.

About 5 minutes later Jake received a radio transmission from Engine 15’s crew that they located the remaining Rescue 27 crew and they are bringing them out. The Batallion Chief finally arrived on the scene, Jake briefed the Chief of the state of the fire, and the Chief assumed command advising Jake he would need his report filed before he leaves the station at shift end.

Jake went to wait by the North-Eastern doorway of the building the crew would be returning from, all of his crew walked out with the exception of Peyton and his heart shattered. The crew from Engine 15 exited the building carrying Peyton, Paramedics rushed over with the stretcher rolling it under Peyton’s limp body as Jake freed him from his self-contained breathing apparatus. Peyton’s face had visible burns under his mask which had cracked from the collapse, Jake gasped at the site. Jake grabbed the stretcher trying to help the medics get Peyton to the ambulance as quickly as possible. Before the paramedics loaded Peyton in the ambulance Jake leaned over whispering in Peyton’s ear, “I’ll meet you at the hospital, you better fight this really hard or I’m gonna kick your ass.” Jake lightly touched Peyton’s arm as the paramedics loaded him into the ambulance. The doors to the ambulance weren’t even fully closed when it pulled out with it’s lights flashing and sirens screaming, rushing Peyton to the hospital.

Jake gathered his crew and advised Dispatch that their unit was out of service for the remainder of their shift, Jake and his crew headed for the hospital to maintain a vigil for Peyton. When the truck pulled into the side bay outside the ER, the staff got a bit of a show with the crew stripping out of their turnout gear in clear sight, it causing a huge grin on the face of one of the doctors. Jake practically ran into the emergency department once the Rescue was parked, he located the Nurse asking if any updates were available but she shook her head as she told him there was nothing new to report.

Jake paced around the hospital waiting room until the rest of his crew had seen enough of it. The guys talked Jake into sitting down and eat a sandwich which he reluctantly agreed to. After Jake ate a few bites of his sandwich he pulled out his clipboard and worked on his incident report even though his mind was focused on Peyton’s condition.

After a few hours, a Doctor came out hunting for Jake to update him on Peyton’s condition. The doctor approached Jake who stood up and shook the doctor's hand, “I understand you’re Peyton Frazier’s Superiour officer?” Jake nodded his head.

“I’m Lieutenant Roberts,” Jake said warily, “How is Peyton?”

“I’m Dr. Molnar, can you follow me so we can discuss Mr. Frazier in private?” Jake followed the doctor into a conference room. The doctor took a seat and motioned for Jake to do the same, “Mr. Frazier has some pretty bad burns to the side of his face, what I am most concerned about is the damage to his lungs. We have him on a ventilator, to give his lungs a chance to heal. If Mr. Frazier’s condition improves I hope to get him off the ventilator by the end of the week, I don’t want him on it too long that his body becomes dependent on it.”

Jake braced his clenched fists on the table, “What are his chances?”

Dr. Molnar scratched his chin, “To be honest, I would say fifty-fifty, he’s young and in good health, but his lungs are of grave concern though.”

Jake rested his forehead in his hands leaning forward, trying to hide his state of mind, once he gathered his emotions Jake looked at the doctor, “When can I see him?”

Dr. Molnar looked at Peyton’s chart, “He’s in ICU at the moment, I’m afraid you would need his parent's permission since you’re not family or a spouse. I’m sorry Lieutenant.”

Jake’s emotions were on edge as the meeting with the doctor concluded. He walked past the waiting room and pulled out his cell phone calling headquarters to obtain Peyton’s parent's address and contact information since they haven’t arrived at the hospital. Jake gathered his crew and they headed to their station since their shift had been over for fifteen minutes.

Jake grabbed a quick shower and changed into a clean uniform and grabbed his keys, and jumped into his truck heading for Peyton’s parent's house. He located the house which was a smaller white Colonial styled house, Jake parked his F250 on the street.

Slowly Jake took in the sight Peytons family home, wondering what his parents were like, what Peyton was like as a kid growing up here; He walked up the sidewalk to the front door, rang the doorbell and waited.

“Uh Hello, Can I help you?” A man asked as he opened the door.

Jake thought the man looked like an older version of Peyton, “Yes, I hope so Sir, is this the Frazier residence?”

“Yes, I’m Arthur.”

“Sir, I’m Lt Jake Roberts from the Fire Department I work with your son Peyton,” Jake nervously fidgeted with his hands, “Can I come inside and speak with you, please ? It’s about Peyton…”

“Oh my, yes, come in. Let me get my wife,” Arthur motioned him inside, “Ginnie, come in the living room.”

Jake sat on a chair that was angled in the corner next to the fireplace.

Arthur took his wife’s hand in his giving it a squeeze as they took a seat on the couch. “Jake,” Art said like he was trying to remember Jake’s name, “This is my wife Ginnie.”

“Nice to meet you both,” Jake said with a sad look, “I wish it was under better circumstances, Firefighter Frazier,” he paused and his face softened, “Peyton was hurt on a call last night.”

Ginnie clasped her hand over her mouth and Arthur wrapped his arm around her, “How bad is our son?”

“Sir,” Jake steeled his nerves the best he could, “Peyton’s was inside the building when it started to collapse, some debris damaged the mask on his breathing aparatus and the smoke and heat it did some damage to his lungs,” Ginnie gasped and started crying.

“Enough of the Sir stuff, call me Art,” He said as he rubbed Ginnies back soothingly.

“Art, I was at the hospital until they gave me an update on his condition. I don’t know why, or how, but I guess I was so wrapped up worrying about Peyton, I mean FireFighter Frazier, that I never thought to notify you. I’m so sorry,” Jake dropped his head and tears ran down his cheek.

“Peyton is more than a colleague to you isn’t he Lt?” Art asked as Jake nodded his head, “Let me guess they wouldn’t let you see him either?” Jake shook his head and sniffled.

“Peyton is a special man,” Jake wiped tears from his eyes, “Can I drive you both to the hospital?”

“Jake, we would appreciate that,” Art stood up taking Ginnie by the hand, “Come on honey.”

Jake loaded up Peyton’s parent’s in to his truck, headding off to the hospital, not much was said during the ride but Ginnie sobbed and dabbed her eyes with a handkerchief.

Jake walked Art and Ginnie to the ICU door and went to turn away, “Where are you going, Jake?” Art asked as he placed his hand on Jake’s shoulder.

“I’m not, Peyton’s family or his spouse so I can’t be in there without your permission,” Jake said quietly staring at the floor.

Ginnie wiped her eye’s and looked at Jake, “You let me take care of that if you care about my baby you’re gonna see him,” Ginnie headed to the ICU desk and started having what looked to like a very one sided conversation with the nursing staff, pointing at Jake. A few minutes later she came out taking Jake by the hand pulling him and Art toward Peyton’s room.

Jake froze at the door and sobbed as he looked at Peyton laying so helpless on the bed.

Thank you to @Bndmetl and @FSELL for their hard work and suggestions. A very special thank you, to you the readers for all the kind words and support for this story.
Copyright © 2017 Dahawk; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 8
  • Sad 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A great chapter, even though there is the sadness of Peyton being injured. 

Edited by chris191070
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, chris191070 said:

A great chapter, even though there is the sadness of Peyton being injured. 

Thanks for reading and leaving leaving  comments @chris191070

  • Like 4
Link to comment
56 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Well. I guess Peyton is Out to his parents then.  ;-)

Yep, he is out to his parents. Peyton's a pretty open book.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
9 hours ago, FSELL said:

Fantastic story DAHawk, well written, want to hug Payton. And Pete sounds like a load of laughs, again well written, love that we see the floored aspects of the characters, makes it more fun. Jake be careful. Please you sound like a good guy too.Thanks for sharing these guys with us, 😎☺️

 

 

@FSELL thanks for your help and input on this Chapter, it was really appreciated.:hug:

  • Like 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Netvoyager said:

Great story. I hope that Payton makes a full recovery. Thanks.

@Netvoyager Thanks for reading and leaving a review it's really appreciated.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
38 minutes ago, Onim said:

Love the chapter...but I'm a sucker for firefighter/rescue and police romance!!:*) I adore how you allow your characters to display all the emotions people tend to want to keep hidden or "macho" contained...they get to cry and laugh uncontrollably, they get to admit mistakes, they get to show anger and a bit of rage, but most of all, they get to show affection, real touchy/feely affection with love!! :wub: Ok..I'm off my soap box now :rolleyes:(going to the corner, CONTINUE) :thumbup::heart:

@Onim Thanks for all the kind remarks and being such a loyal reader, I always enjoy reading what you have to say along with the other faithful followers.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Just now, Sam Wyer said:

I knew something like this would happen, it’s a stupid story and I should never have started reading it!

Now hurry the fuck up and tell us what happens next :)  Pleeeeaase!

@Sam Wyer I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter I promise you won't wait as long for the next chapter, real-life slowed it the last time. :hug:

  • Like 4
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Dahawk said:

@Sam Wyer I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter I promise you won't wait as long for the next chapter, real-life slowed it the last time. :hug:

Great news - but this hugging is getting way out of hand!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
13 hours ago, FSELL said:

Fantastic story DAHawk, well written, want to hug Payton. And Pete sounds like a load of laughs, again well written, love that we see the floored aspects of the characters, makes it more fun. Jake be careful. Please you sound like a good guy too.Thanks for sharing these guys with us, 😎☺️

 

 

 

Grrr!!!!  Stay away from Peyton, Pete is perfect for you.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Just when they make some kind of commitment to each other this has to happen.  I hope Peyton  will be ok.  The Frazier family sounds lovely and caring. Nice that they could get Jake in to see Peyton. Thanks for a great story. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..