Jump to content
    Dahawk
  • Author
  • 3,771 Words
  • 4,981 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Struggling Forward - 2. Home of Our Own

Struggling Forward

Home of Our Own:

Kaleb came downstairs while folding a box at the same time. Blu and Kyle were sitting on the couch semi-watching television, and making out. They watched as Kaleb almost stumbled down the last few steps, “Mornin’ drinking again dipshit?” Blu laughed when Kaleb gave him the bird.

“That’s my brother, all class!” Kyle shook his head.

“It’s about time you finished unpacking, it’s been a week shithead,” Blu stated.

“Don’t worry it’s his last box – finally,” Davis sighed from the railing at the top of the staircase.

Kyle pulled his cell out of his pocket to check in with the music store on the status of his application. During the call, his expression had changed from one of cheerfulness to dejection. Ending the call he muttered to himself, “Fucking bullshit,” slipping the phone into his pocket.

“What’s wrong Blondie?” Blu put his hand out for Kyle to take so he could pull his fiancée into his lap and cuddle his worries away. Kyle took Blu’s hand and sulked as he scooted into Blu’s lap.

Kyle sighed, “The music instructor position was filled by a kid that was in my class last year,” shifting around in Blu’s lap, “I could teach kids a lot more than him, I had to help him with some of the theory in class. It’s ridiculous, I just don’t understand…” Kyle’s aggravation was palpable.

Kaleb walked by smacking Kyle in the back of the head, “You’re so damn smart you’re stupid at times Kyle,” shaking his head, “Why don’t you just teach lessons here at home?”

“The dickhead has a point Blondie, why don’t we set the office up as a lesson room for you?” Blu asked, leaning forward to kiss his man.

“Sounds like a good idea to me,” Davis contributed from the second floor again, leaning on the railing.

“Are you afraid of the stairs Davis?” Blu chuckled.

“No, I just don’t wanna come down there and see what you two are actually doing on the couch,” he retorted, “besides, Kaleb was supposed to be bringing me a soda.”

Kaleb rolled his eyes when he was already part way up the stairs and turned back around, “I’m underappreciated,” he mumbled walking by Blu smacking him in the forehead.

Kyle sat there for a while thinking about the guy's proposal for a music studio, “Kaleb you really do have good ideas occasionally, I think I like the idea of being my own boss and teaching lessons.”

Kaleb wandered by carrying Davis’ soda shaking it with a smile, “One of us blonde’s at least knows how to use his brain.”

Blu smirked at Kaleb, “Make up some flyers Blondie, the four of us can put them up and around. We also have our car, so you’re not limited to just the house. Make it one price for here and add extra if you have to go to them. Maybe put something in the newsletters of the clubs for the rich and ridiculous. You’ll probably have to go to them, but they’ll pay more.”

Kyle kissed Blu, “Good idea, thanks for your support Babe.”

Kyle stood up and walked towards the stairs, “Babe why don’t you call Dad and see if he knows about any jobs for you, he has connections we don’t,” he headed up the stairs to give life to his new job.

Blu called his Dad, “Hello, this is Doug, I’m dead, please don’t leave a message. Beep!”

“Uh, Dad, I know it’s you!” Blu chuckled.

“Oh, you I’ll talk to. Do you have any idea what these maniacs are up to? I’m going insane, I think I’ll move up there to Boston with you Son,” Doug whispered into the phone.

“Dad, I know better than to ask, I’ve met them all before. If you need a mental health break you’re always welcome here. Minus the bag of nuts – of course.”

“Awesome, see ya in two hours,” Doug laughed, “what’s up Blu?”

“Um… I was just wondering… if you have any contacts out this way?”

“What for Son?”

“Well, we have to get part-time jobs now, I was wondering if you’d be able to feel any of them out. You know I can work around a nursery or something. It’s not like I’m clueless. Plus it would beat flipping burgers for next to no pay. We have Kyle’s tuition, cell phones, gas, rent and his asshole Dad took him off of his medical insurance. It’s starting to add up, I don’t really want us to be working two jobs each and full-time school. I’m just worried. I need something that pays well, no matter the hours and it not interfere with school,” Blu could hear his voice raise in desperation as more bills popped into his head.

“Oh, well that’s easy,” Doug said sarcastically.

“Really?” Blu said excitedly.

“No Blu, not really. Sometimes you’re just like your Mom,” Blu could almost hear his Dad shaking his head at him through the phone.

“Oh,” he said deflated.

“Let me have a ring around and see what I can do, I can’t promise you anything, but I’ll try.”

Thanks, Dad,” Blu sighed with relief, at least he’d have something to tell Kyle. He’d also do some calling around to landscapers himself.

Kyle returned shortly after Blu had hung up from talking with his Dad carrying a multitude of flyers in one hand and his laptop in the other, “Flyer’s first or social media to promote the new business?” When Blu hesitated Kyle handed him the laptop, “Here get onto some of the country club websites and see if they have a spot to post advertisements, we can divide and conquer, I’ll go throw up some flyers around the area.”

“You want me to come with you Blondie?” Blu let his head fall to the couch watching Kyle.

“Sure,” Kyle reached his hand out to Blu pulling him to his feet and then giving him a quick peck on the lips, “I’ll drive!”

Blu gave a fake smile, and swallowed audibly, “Okay… just watch out for pedestrians, and bike riders, and parked cars. Oh, and this time brake when…” Kyle put his hand over Blu’s mouth.

Kyle practically dragged Blu to the car and hopped inside like an excited puppy behind the steering wheel. “Ready Babe, and we’re off,” Kyle started the car and threw it into gear punching the gas causing the tires to chirp, “Where to first?”

“Dollar General? I need new boxers. The way you drive, I can’t afford to keep ruining the good ones.”

Kyle shrugged his shoulders, “Okay,” a few minutes later and a screeching of the tires that would make Richard Petty’s pit crew envious, the car came to a halt into the store’s parking lot, “We’re here. Take a flyer with ya Babe.”

Blu looked at Kyle with a blank stare, taking the flyer from him. ‘Is he kidding?’ Blu thought to himself. He didn’t know what to say, so he took the flyer with him and bought some boxers, then hung the flyer on the noticeboard.

“Does he really have no idea how bad he is?” Blu mumbled all the way back to the car.

A mere three hours later and they came to a squealing halt back in there driveway with no flyers left, “Well that was quite productive don’t you think Babe?” Kyle smiled at Blu.

Blu sat in the passenger seat silent and not moving, staring out the window.

“Babe, come on I’ll make us dinner to celebrate,” Kyle hopped out of the car racing around to the passenger door opening it offering his hand.

Blu still hadn’t moved or acknowledged him. Kyle bent down and kissed Blu, “You okay Babe?”

“Huh? What?” he asked looking at Kyle, then looked back at the house, “Oh, we’re home,” Blu detached his fingers which were glued to the ‘fuck me dead’ above his head and stepped out of the car.

“You look like you don’t feel good, maybe you should lay down while I make all of us dinner,” Kyle suggested while he placed an arm around Blu’s waist ushering him to the house.

“Huh? Yeah! Um… whatever you want Blondie,” Blu answered dazed and confused.

Kyle got Blu sprawled out on the couch and wrapped snugly in a blanket, “Take a nap, I’ll wake you once supper is ready Babe,” Kyle leaned over kissing him gently before heading to the kitchen to cook.

Kaleb walked into the room looking at Blu, “Are you okay Blu?”

“Holy crap Kaleb, I physically feel ill. Your brother’s driving is soooo bad. It’s like he doesn’t hear when I try to teach him, I eventually give up and just hang on. He has two fucking speeds, go and stop. Seriously, fuck me!” Blu said quietly while looking out for Kyle.

Kaleb laughed, “Maybe all of Boston will throw in so we can get him some professional driving lessons. It will only benefit them in the long run. I’ll start a ‘Gofundme’ page,” Kaleb was belly laughing by the time he finished.

“Yeah, make sure you do, fuck me, Kaleb. Next time he drives, I’m sending you, with him. I’m not sure I won’t need therapy before he gets his license,” Blu fell back into the couch, exhausted. Kaleb laughed and went to tell Davis about the newest Kyle driving experience.

Two hours later all of the smoke detectors in the house were sounding and Kyle popped into the living room declaring supper is served. Walking Blu toward the kitchen table they picked up at a garage sale the previous weekend, “Spaghetti and meatballs, and garlic bread Babe,” yelling over his shoulder, “Guys come eat before it gets cold.” Kaleb and Davis came into the kitchen plopping down in their seats.

“Sounds good Blondie,” Taste is a whole other issue. Blu looked at his plate that was covered in a brown sauce, meatballs so dry they were falling apart and something that probably started out as spaghetti but now resembled a blond-ish colored paste. Blu pushed the hard brick that was black on the top, and brown on the bottom. Kyle pulled off a piece of the brick and put on Blu’s plate. He picked it up, it was still frozen in the center, Blu sniffed it, screwing up his nose. He put the brick-like piece back down on his plate, “I don’t know if I feel well enough to eat. Maybe I should lie back down.”

Kyle looked at the food, “It’s a little dark, but it can’t taste that bad. Give it a try Babe,” smiling at Blu as he dished some out for Kaleb and Davis.

Fuck no! Blu feared for his life, “It looks good Blondie, I just don’t know if my stomach could take something this rich right now,” he answered, begging in his head, ‘Please don’t make me eat this!

“How about I make you some soup?” Kyle asked thoughtfully placing his hand on Blu’s.

Blu looked at Kaleb dumbfounded and thought ‘You’re the resident douche bag, you break the news to him.

Kaleb looked at the charcoaled remnant’s of what presumably was garlic bread, “Uh…” picking up the brick tapping it on the table causing a loud thud, “Bro unless you’re trying to kill us you’re banished from cooking,” Kaleb laughed at Kyle as he picked up the plate of food tossing it into the garbage can, “I love you but cooking is definitely not your talent.”

“It was a good effort Kyle, but how about we save hospital admission’s the workload and order some Mexican?” Davis said appeasing Kyle, with a warm smile, squeezing his shoulder, “it’s not like any of us can cook,” he shot daggers at Kaleb.

Kyle shrugged his shoulders, “Ok, sorry guys,” sighing, “I tried.”

Blu leaned over pulling Kyle into a hug, “I love you Blondie, it’s better than I would have been able to make.”

Kyle smiled, “Want me to pick up the Mexican food?” Hell no!

“Let’s give the residents of Boston a break,” Blu turned to Davis, “would you mind picking it up, I’ll help Blondie clean the kitchen,” Blu pointed noticing a piece of spaghetti stuck to the ceiling. How the fuck did he manage that? Oh, Blondie! Blu chuckled and kissed Kyle’s forehead.

Kaleb looked at the ceiling and started laughing, “Remind me how you accomplished that Kyle,” he said pointing at the clinging piece of spaghetti. Davis cuffed Kaleb on the back of the head giving him daggers, while Blu smiled sitting back in his chair nodding his head at Davis.

Kyle looked at the ceiling, “Uh…” rubbing his chin, “I watched a youtube video and it said if spaghetti stuck to a surface it was done,” shrugging his shoulders, “I guess I forgot about the noodles after doing that though.”

Davis stood and grabbed the shoulder of Kaleb’s shirt, “You’re coming with me Mr. Sensitive,” and marched Kaleb out the front door.

Kaleb was squirming to free himself from the grasp of Davis, “He’s gonna kill us all! I love him but he’s a lethal weapon in the kitchen,” Kaleb shouted as he was pushed out the door by Davis.

Kyle gathered the remaining food dumping it into the garbage, “I guess it was pretty bad, huh?”

Blu stood and went to Kyle gathering him in his arms, “You tried, that’s what counts. That and no-one got food poisoning,” he chuckled moving away from Kyle very quickly.

“Hey,” Kyle laughed, “I did manage to make a no-bake cheesecake, it’s in the fridge.”

“Please tell me that means you bought it like already made, no contribution from Kyle?” Blu laughed.

Kyle shrugged his shoulders pulling it out of the refrigerator grabbing a fork and taking a bite, immediately spitting it out, “Uh… water… lots of water,” Kyle chugged glass after glass of water in between gagging, “No more that’s horrible.”

Blu picked up the cheesecake and sniffed it, then gagged before tossing it in the garbage with the rest of the meal, “Fuck that’s nasty! Come on, this is going to take a week to clean up.”

Kyle looked at the bottom of the badly blackened pot as he scrubbed, “God this is like concrete,” he wiped his sweaty brow, “I’m never cooking again, you guys do it,” as he started using a spoon to chisel at the pan.

Blu took the pan out of Kyle’s hand and filled it with water and put it back on the stove top to soak, “If soaking it doesn’t work, we’ll say a quick prayer for it Blondie and move on.”

After the cleanup of the kitchen was over Kyle looked at his arms and clothes which were covered in a black slimy grime, “I think I need a shower, Babe.”

Kyle left to have a quick shower while Blu put the last of the clean pots away. Kyle’s phone rang, without thinking Blu picked it up putting it between his shoulder and ear.

“Kyle’s phone?”

“Uh… Hi Blu,” Christopher stammered.

“That would be me, who’s this?” Blu asked leaning against the counter.

“It’s Christopher…”

Blu stiffened when he heard who it was, “Why are you ringing Kyle?”

“Blu I know I did some spiteful shit to the both of you,” Christopher sighed, “I’m really sorry for everything. I tried calling Kaleb before calling Kyle’s phone, but he didn’t answer.”

“Probably because he’s still mad, or it could be that he unpacked all his shit finally. He might have lost his phone earlier today and still hasn’t found it among all the crap thrown around his room.”

“Blu I know you both hate me and I don’t blame you for that,” Christopher paused, “I know how it feels to be betrayed, I’m sorry… Can you just tell everybody that, goodbye.”

“Topher, I’m not telling them anything. This is your mess you clean it up. All I can say is they are both pretty forgiving. You’ve known them a long time. Keep plugging away, they’ll eventually forgive you. That’s all I’ve got to say, that and I won’t interfere if you want your friends back. It’s up to you to make it happen.”

“I appreciate that Blu, I lost my Dad… nevermind, bye,” Christopher said as he disconnected the call.

Kyle came back down the stairs as Blu had the phone still resting on his shoulder, “Who was that Babe?”

Blu frowned at Kyle, “It was Topher, he was rambling about something or other. Listen, did his Dad die or something?”

“What?” Kyle ran his hand through his damp hair with a confused look on his face, “Not that I know of, but it’s not like I talk to anybody from back there either.”

“Okay, anyway, he sounded upset and said something about losing his Dad. He sounded sad, to be honest. Maybe you or Kaleb should check up on him?” Blu said sounding almost concerned. But he shook it off.

“Blu,” Kyle sighed, “I can’t feel sorry for him after the shit he has done to us. If Kaleb wants to talk to him fine but at this point, I don’t want anything to do with him.”

Kaleb came storming into the house carrying two bags of steaming hot Mexican food with a Churro stuffed in his mouth, “It’s fuckin’ delicious,” he mumbled through the food.

Blu stole the end hanging out of Kaleb's mouth and took a bite, “Mmm… that is good,” showing his mouthful to the others.

“Where’s mine after I slaved in the kitchen for all of you?” Kyle crossed his arms looking at Kaleb. Kaleb put the bag on the counter then reached into the bag and pulled another churro out for Kyle making a few visible suggestions that Kyle could do with the Mexican stick thingy.

Kyle grabbed Kaleb in a headlock, “You really are slow when you’re occupied like that. Wanna explain where your knowledge comes from?”

Kaleb pulled away from Kyle, “I uh… just guessed that was shit you would do,” he hurried to unpack the food from the bag.

Kyle grabbed his container of food and sat down taking a bite, “The food is really good,” swallowing his bite, “We have to remember this place for the future.” Kaleb grabbed a container sitting at the table looking at Davis who just came into the room and smirked, then concentrated on the food.

Blu noticed the look between Davis and Kaleb, then looked at Kyle who was oblivious. Blu shook his head and went about eating his fajita. He’d be keeping a closer eye on them in future. Not that he cared, but he had a sneaky suspicion that Kyle might. Especially if Kaleb keeps it from him.

“Kaleb,” Blu cleared his throat, “Christopher called looking for you, which you’d know if you found your phone in the junk pile you call a room. He sounded upset, and I think his Dad might have croaked. You might want to check on him.”

Kaleb took a mouthful of food, “I’ll go find my phone and call him,” glancing at Davis as he walked away from the table. Blu just shook his head and went back to eating. The two of them better not be just messing around because my Blondie will go ballistic. Kyle thinks his brother is still a little kid sometimes.

Kyle looked up from his empty food container at Blu, “Babe, I forgot to ask did you talk to Dad earlier?”

“I did,” Blu smiled, “he’s going to ask around for me. I’ll hit up the local landscaper’s and contact the Park’s people. I also might see if the college has anything available. Maybe I can get on the list of tutors or something.”

“Oh before I forget that guy rang back about the living room suite, he said we can take a look at it tomorrow at five,” Davis commented.

“Sounds good,” Kyle smiled, “We need more furniture to fill the rooms out,” taking Blu’s hand in his, “I know I’ve been a little edgy since all of the chaos Rudolph made for all of us, I’m trying to get past it but it just irritates me to even think about being related to him.”

“My sweet fiancée,” Blu said sickly sweet kissing the back of Kyle’s hand, “don’t give it a thought. I have you with me, a little bit of struggling is what we are supposed to do in college. We’ll remember when one day, and realize we had it better than most. We have a great family, awesome friends, and Kaleb.”

Kyle chuckled, “At least he’s house trained, he just can’t control his other actions yet,” shaking his head at the look Davis had on his face.

Blu rolled his eyes, “You’re telling me,” there was a loud knock at the front door, “I’ll get that,” Blu kissed Kyle quickly as he stood up. He opened the front door to find Nan standing there, her luggage next to her.

“Run away from home?” Blu laughed.

“Shut ya trap, Grandbaby,” she elbowed Blu so she could get into the house, leaving her luggage behind on the doorstep, “let me in.”

Blu rolled his eyes, picking up her bag, bringing it inside, “Not that I’m not happy to see you, Nan, but what are you doing here?”

“The Mini-Muffin and I are going to the horse races tomorrow,” Nan said as if it were a common event.

“Seriously Nan, you're gonna get the guy into trouble and Blondie will kill me.”

Kyle came around the corner almost running over Nan, “Hi, Nan, what’re you doin’ here?”

“Doug has a case of uncontrollable flatulence,” Nan deadpanned waving her hand in front of her face.

“Uh huh,” Kyle skeptically hugged Nan, “So what are you and Kaleb up too?”

“I smell food, what ya got,” Nan said moving toward the kitchen.

“Don’t worry Nan, I’ve got your bag. I’ll put it in your boyfriend's bedroom for you,” Blu called out. Nan waved her grandson off and kept moving to the kitchen.

“Davis! How are they hanging my boy?” Nan said loudly.

“Nan,” Kyle smiled at Blu, “I can make you something to eat if you’re hungry.”

“No!” Blu snapped.

“Noooooo!” Davis called out to Kyle, “I’ll call for a pizza.”

Kaleb came running down the stair after hearing the shouting, “What’s all the commotion about?”

“Your girlfriend’s here, she said you’d take care of her bag. Blondie is going to make her something to eat.”

“Oh, FUCK NO!” Kaleb yelled, “Kyle, you’ll kill her! She’s an old lady.”

We want to say thank you to our beta readers for their time checking over the chapter. A special thank you to all of you faithful readers, we hope you enjoy the continuing struggles of the boys!
Copyright © 2017Aaron Hawke & JT Babbage; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 43
  • Love 13
  • Haha 15
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Topher sounded suicidal! I think his father replicated Rudolph’s example and disowned his son. It sounds like he doesn’t have the support and resources that Kyle and Kaleb have. He sounded very lost and depressed. I hope Kaleb is able to talk to him before he attempts anything permanent!

Link to comment

My mother had us baking cakes from a box first. At one point she told us if we wanted dessert in our sack lunches, we’d have to make them ourselves. I think my brothers and I all took what used to be called ‘Bachelor Survival’ class (it had been renamed ‘Adult Living Skills’ by the time I took it) – this class taught mostly guys how to do some basic cooking as well as things like basic sewing, how to balance a checkbook, and how to plan meals. Most of us took it because we got to eat what we cooked!  ;-)

Link to comment

Now, I am worried about Christopher.  Even if he did something horrible, I would not want anything permanent to happen to him.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I don’t know why Kaleb would hide being bi, bicurous, or whatever he is from his brother. I guess if Blu is correct about Kyle potentially going ballistic then I could see Kaleb hiding this relationship between him and Davis though which might make him feel he also needs to hide his sexual orientation as the two are linked. Still, it’s kinda sad that Kaleb feels he can’t be honest with his own brother who was honest with him about his sexual orientation as Kaleb was the only one Kyle could confide in for the longest time. It’s always possible Blu is misreading the situation and nothing is going on between those two though that seems unlikely. I’m guessing Christopher was disowned but I’m not sure why. I mean he did what his father wanted even if the situation didn’t end the way Rudolph wanted it to. With Kaleb suddenly acting like he might be bi I wonder if we’ll get a twist where despite his minor homophobic comments in the past Christopher will turn out to be gay or bi which is why his father tossed him out. Normally I wouldn’t make that jump but I’ve read plenty of stories on here where seemingly straight guys suddenly surprise you by revealing they are a little bent. 😂 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Another awesome chapter. Blu's reactions when they finally arrived home is a testament to Kyles driving, from that I don't think it is an exaggeration when says the driving is bad. But I do love the cute way he can't bring himself to say anything to Kyle about it, much like the cooking. That was classic. Seeing if the noodle sticks lol. I learned to cook from my mum when she lost the use of one of her hands, I became her hands. I wonder if there is anything to Blu's suspicions re Kaleb and Davis. Also hope Kaleb will check in on Chris, just to make sure he's ok.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..