Jump to content
    Dark
  • Author
  • 3,104 Words
  • 6,189 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Waylon's Crossing - 1. Chapter 1: Let’s Hang Out

Introducing the characters of Kynan, Alan, and Xeran. Kynan is a half-demon, Alan is a werewolf, and Xeran is a demon.


Chapter 1: Let’s Hang Out


In a dark corner beneath the city, the demons were waiting. Kynan later couldn't decide how he'd been caught in that ambush, at the time, all he'd been concerned with was getting away. It was a cunning plot of the demon warlock; something had hidden Morticai's lackeys from Kynan's senses, he'd burst in confidently, guns blazing, and been surrounded so fast he hadn't even had time to curse.

He killed a few, he was certain of it, wounded many more, but his bullets ran out far too quickly and he'd had no time to reload. The knife then accounted for a few more, but they'd eventually pulled him down by sheer mass of numbers, clubbing him into senselessness, then choking him for extra measure while they bound his wrists and ankles. He'd been carried no small a distance and he'd lost his hat somewhere along the way ... lost pretty much everything down to his jeans, and they were torn and bloody. He missed the boots, he'd just gotten them broken in, but the pistols were his prized possessions. Alan had made them and they were priceless.

He hung now upside down, suspended by his ankles, struggling futilely against the bonds tearing into his skin. His wrists, also bound, were attached to his ankles by another rope and blood ran down his arms as he strained. He could hear the rats below him, sometimes see the shine on their beady little eyes, and thanked small mercies that he was out of the vermin's reach. Beyond that was only the dank and dreary smell of the sewer. He could be anywhere under the city, there was nothing he could take for a landmark.

A door creaked somewhere behind and above him and shortly Kynan heard booted feet on the stair, stone, unless he missed his guess. There were three sets of feet and he waited expectantly, eyes closed. Someone whistled merrily and Kynan growled deep in his throat.

"So, dog," laughed Morticai, spinning him around to face them. "What do you think of your kennel?"

There were four of them actually, Kynan squinted to make out the indistinct fourth form, robed and hooded, who trod so silently in the darkness. There was Morticai, red, demon-mottled skin and horns, yellow eyes that gleamed in amusement. Close by was a demon female who regarded him with distaste, but Kynan thought he could detect a modicum of respect. And the third, the third he knew as the queen's very own brother and rival, the Prince of Darkness himself. So! That would be why Morticai had ensnared him. Now Kynan feared. He broke out in a sweat which made the demon prince smile slowly.

The prince reached out to touch him but Kynan swung away, biting at the arm, his teeth the only weapon he had left now.

"Feisty, feisty," laughed the prince, catching him by the hair and swinging him back around. "And so beautiful," he murmured softly, tracing the line of Kynan's jaw.

"Be careful, milord," said the female.

Kynan spit, and received a jaw full of fist for his trouble, blinking back stars as he swung about dizzily. He clenched his teeth against the bile at the back of his throat and settled for glaring at the demons.

"You were right, Morticai," said the prince casually, "no begging, pleading, or even a ‘What do you want?’ Nothing." He laughed again, cruelly, fingering a mottled bruise along Kynan's ribs. "My sister has trained him well."

Hanging as he was, Kynan was glad for the blood that masked his flush of anger. His face was level with the prince's chest and he saw the demon reach into his robes and pull on thick, heavy gloves. The female handed him a glass vial and fear clenched even tighter in Kynan's gut. The prince pulled the stopper from the vial and flicked the liquid at his prisoner. Kynan bit his lip against an outburst; he refused to give the prince the satisfaction of hearing him scream.

Holy water! The droplets ate into his flesh like acid. Where had the prince gotten holy water? He shivered, twisting again from his body's involuntary jerk of pain such that the room seemed to spin about him. Again and again the liquid touched him, bringing tears to his eyes and he tensed his whole body against the screams that pushed at his lips. There was a pause as the female washed him down with a cloth, cleansing him, easing his torment. The prince made approving sounds as the wounds began to close, probing a few tender spots.

"What do you want?" Kynan asked, knowing that this could go on indefinitely.

"A quick learner, too, I see," hummed the prince, rustling his ebony wings in pleasure.

He grabbed Kynan again by the hair, tilting his head back at an angle to better look each other in the face. Kynan suffered the hands on him silently, wondering suddenly just what the prince knew about him. He'd not had much occasion to be at court lately, and that was the way he preferred things. Even after all these years, all that he'd witnessed, his human half could still be horrified by the things demons did to their own. It was those memories that fueled the majority of his dreamscapes, through which he hunted his bounties. Often the fear and madness inspired by those nightmares was enough to make the prey surrender.

"You serve my sister," the prince stated. He struck Kynan across the face. "Answer!"

"Yes," Kynan replied, licking his lips. Everyone knew that.

"You have seen this." The prince thrust a scrap of yellowed paper into Kynan's face who struggled to bring the sketch into focus. The drawing was crude, but Kynan recognized it at once. He nodded. Everyone knew what that was, that was the queen's scepter, the one thing she prized, and guarded, above all else.

"Where is it? Where does she keep it?"

Kynan stared at the prince helplessly. "I don't know."

"He lies!" cried Morticai. "He's the only one she trusts! He sleeps there, in her chambers, he knows! He knows!"

"I'll tell you what she knows!" Kynan snapped. "She knows you were spying on her, double-crossing worm! I am not her only Hunter -- they'll find you!"

He had the temporary satisfaction of seeing the warlock tremble and back away, but then the prince struck him cheekbone to cheekbone with the back of his hand. He wiped the blood away, as silent and grim as stone then beckoned for and pulled on the gloves again, the female giving him the vial.

Kynan felt the letters traced on him as if they were carved from his skin, thrashing, but to no avail. Morticai and the female held him steady and Kynan was left breathless with agony, tears streaming down his face, his whole body trembling. The water spread, trickled over his chest and stomach, burning mercilessly. The flesh could not heal while the acid-like substance remained, leaving him in torment.

"Tell me her plans."

"I ... d-don't ... know."

"Liar!" The prince cuffed him again.

"I don't-know!"

"The queen is up to something."

"I'm just ... a ... servant!"

There was a moment's silence.

"I'll just leave you to rethink your position," said the prince.

"Fuck. You."

The prince only laughed.

He burned! Kynan screamed with the pain of it when there was no one to hear but the rats. He didn't know! He didn't know, the queen didn't trust him that far. The only reason she trusted him at all was because she could tug on his human heartstrings, knew that he craved even the slightest of affections, and would do anything to please her, just to win a gentle word. He was her son, a secret she had, and would continue to murder to keep; and he had no ambition to be more than he was. As long as he kept her happy, he had his life.

He'd been careful, knowing that one wrong step would land him in the torture rooms and he'd long for death with every fiber of his being before that time came, for his healing ability was far stronger and better and faster than a demon's natural resistance to physical wounds. They could toy with him for a very long time. If the prince should learn the secret of his birth, he would kill him, for he couldn't suffer another rival to live, not even a bastard and half-demon. And he would not make that death quick. Of course, the prince would likely kill him anyway, once he learned what he could of him.

The prince wanted power, he was mad with it, just like all the rest of his kind, and he sought the scepter as a means of outing his sister and becoming king. His formal apology before all the court and his simpering devotion to the queen could only be some kind of ruse. In fact, Kynan was sure of it. Now his only hope seemed to be in escape. He could not afford to divulge his secrets, and, as soon as the queen realized he was missing, she'd assume he'd finally turned on her and would be taking steps to see that he stayed missing....

Kynan closed his eyes and reached for the dreamscape, the place of dreams.


//.. Enter Dreamscape..\\


The halfling looked about the city of shadows with something resembling relief. There was still pain here, but he could block it out better, push it aside for now. He sat up, panting, his legs weak and numb beneath him. He needed help, and there was only one mind that he knew well enough to seek without a trigger. He was just a kid, but he was Outside, in the city, and he ... he didn't want to drag him into this, but he had little choice.

Rising to his feet, Kynan howled his distress. "Alan!" he cried. "Can you hear me? Alan!"

This dream city was of his own creation, a shadowy replica of the real thing. Since this was his dreamscape, he could force the world to take any shape he wanted, to be anyone he wanted, but the shadow-city was the easiest, the one he was most familiar with. The more complicated the images, the more energy and concentration required to keep him there. In this place, the wanderings of other sleepers crossed his dreamscape as shadowy people. Once, he'd imagined himself in a vast meadow of flowers, where butterflies were the dreamers, but he didn't have that energy right now.

He could cast about for a mind -- any mind! -- close enough and receptive enough to touch, to enter their dreams. Once there, he could manipulate their dreamscape to match his own, but the cost of such unguided travails was intense, something he could not do in his present condition. He stopped and screamed again for the sheer desperation that filled him. He had no idea how long before the demons would be back, or if they even knew of this aspect of his abilities.

"Alan!"

It was possible to bring his target's dreams closer by calling to them, if they were both dreaming at the same time, and it didn't always work. As the dreamscape was never the same from visit to visit, this helped shorten the distance between their locations and strengthened the trace. Of course, this alerted the person he was trying to contact, but that wasn't a bad thing in this case. Alan's trace was mostly wet dog, very distinctive, and he had no trouble following, but he seemed so far away!

He was tiring, trotting and then walking doggedly, not sure of his surroundings, only seeking the bright shape amongst all the shades that indicated the mind he sought. He lay after a time, not willingly, only blinking his eyes to find himself suddenly on his knees and he struggled back to his feet to stagger on. His body wanted to slip into pure darkness, where he'd truly be unconscious, but he resisted. Now, while he still had all his mental faculties, he had to find help. He didn't even know what time it was, whether it was night or day, and whined softly in distress.

He screamed one last time, but it was a pathetic attempt, and then he staggered on, saving his breath. When he could no longer walk, he crawled, and when he had to rest, he rested, but he kept himself in the dreamscape, whatever cost it was to his body, he needed to use that strength now, no telling if he'd get another chance.

The shadowy buildings along the road began to waver and Kynan pushed himself harder. He knew that, very soon, he'd drop out of the dreamscape from pure exhaustion. He'd only attempted the dreamscape so weakened a few times, but he recognized the shimmering as his mind telling him it was too tired to concentrate. Only his stubbornness kept him going now.

But then he turned a corner in his shadow-city and saw a flash of light ahead, a bright beacon of hope that he went toward with a new and even more frantic speed, staggering like a drunkard, though he'd never been drunk in all his life. He didn't know if he even could get drunk.

Alan!

Whatever he might look like in real life, here the werewolf shone brightly, shining white and silver. An invisible breeze ruffled his fur and the longer guard hairs flickered with iridescence. He lay curled up on a park bench, a slumbering pup, a pose somewhere between dreams and wakefulness. Whether he was just beginning or just ending his rest Kynan couldn't say.

Pain lanced up his leg and Kynan stumbled, groaning. He was too far to initiate contact; his meager chance was slipping away! He inched forward, his arms not wanting to support him, the dreadful tingling in his feet boding ill for him.

And then the pup looked up. Their eyes met and widened in shock. What did Alan see? Kynan saw heaven in those beautiful werewolf eyes, a place he'd only ever seen in others' dreams. Awe filled him and took his breath away. What must the werewolf be dreaming, to make his eyes reflect such otherworldly beauty?

He stretched toward him. "Help me!" he cried. "Alan!"

Then the shadow buildings and trees vanished into smoke and the bottom dropped out of the world. Kynan struggled madly, scrambling for purchase, and wailed in fear and desperation. No!

\\ ..Exit Dreamscape.. //


He came awake with the scream still on his lips, jerking away from the harsh torchlight. His shoulders and feet shrieked their own agony at him, and his chest and stomach still burned. He had such a raging headache he thought his head was likely to split in two and he blinked his eyes open reluctantly, shivering.

The prince knelt beside him on the filty stone floor of the cell. Yes the prince was a demon, but his expression was kind. He held a wet rag in his hands and a shallow bowl filled with water rested by his knee. Xeran raised the rag to wipe the grime from Kynan's cheek.

Kynan's body expected pain; his eyes widened in alarm and he jerked his head out of reach. His muscles trembled.

The prince's sympathetic look deepened and he lightly pressed on Kynan's chest, his fingers dancing around the burns. "Too much for you, my little one?" he crooned.

This sudden kindness was more frightening than the antagonism and Kynan twitched shoulders and head to try and pull away, to no avail. He was so desperately weary; this whole set-up had a dream-like quality.

"You could be of such use to me," the prince continued, using the cloth to soak the dried blood from Kynan's face and hair. "Just think of it! No more skulking about the Court. No one would dare say aught against you if you had my protection! I would take such care of you, not like my sister."

Kynan shook his head feebly, but he could not look away from that pleading expression. He felt suddenly very exposed, knowing, knowing that this was just the beginning of the long road he was setting upon, knowing suddenly that the prince could take him apart at his leisure, and knowing that every word was a lie. But his treacherous human heart begged him to reconsider, to trust, to hope!

The prince's words were sweet and caring. "She has wronged you, this sister of mine. You have power, you can have more of it -- you can have revenge for all that has been done to you … think of it!"

The prince bathed Kynan's face gently, making strange crooning noises that were inexplicably comforting, and all the more dangerous for that. He continued to whisper in a deep, husky voice, feather-soft against Kynan's cheek, whispering, and though he tried to shut out those words, they slithered past his defenses, wrapping themselves like silk around him, seductive and, ultimately, deadly. Bend, bend, urged that relentless voice in his head. There's no need to break you, to see you destroyed.

I am a means to an end, Kynan told himself as firmly as he could. Logically, the prince could never take him on as a servant, he'd be a liability and that would never be tolerated by a new king, who had enemies everywhere. It could never happen, never! But did he want it? Yes, that was the worst of it, curse his human heart! Demons did not yearn for acceptance the way he did; they just were.

"Milord."

The prince cursed and half turned, snarling, "What is it?"

The demon female trembled under that ferocious glare from her liege. "Please, milord, she sends for you."

"I told you I was busy!"

"Milord, she ... she searches for him," her eyes flicked from the prince to his prisoner. "My sources say she -- she does not want him found."

This bit of knowledge deflected the rising rage into thoughtfulness. "Indeed," he murmured, looking down at his captive. "So there is something about him she values, some secret she does not want found out. Indeed."

He rose and tossed the wet cloth to the ground. "Damnation! I was so close!"

Kynan flinched from that sudden movement, watching the prince move away with relief so strong it was almost painful. Now he could rest and heal, hoping that this delay would give him the time he needed.

anner created by http://www.writing.com/main/portfolio/view/jrpittman

I hope you understand that the chapter name is meant to be ironic.

Discuss the story here: http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/31411-waylons-crossing-by-dark/

Copyright © 2011 Dark; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

WOW... that picture at the beginning was awesome :)

 

I have to say that this is not my favourite chapter, although it is a fabulous one. It sets up the story really well and introdues some fabulous characters.

 

It only gets better as it goes along and I am exited to read more and more and more :)

Link to comment

1. I think the Dreamscape brought Inception (the movie) in my mind in a good way! I felt I was in there with Kynan. I felt the walls coming down on me as the Dreamscape collapsed.

 

2. What a marvelous villain, so sexy, scary and appealing. Also the half uncle of our hero here... I wonder if the Prince Drakness stays a villain or is transformed by love.

 

3. I have a soft spot for warewolves... yes... I have read my share of those stories a while back **blushes** Your ware wolves, like Alan, are fascinating. What did you mean that in the Dreamscope he looked like a million dollar poster boy for a wolf (my choice of words), no matter what he looked in a reality. This brings me back to Dreamscope. It is like our online world side by side with our real world. We can make belief and play with images, truths, expectations and needs in online world. Also call out and make peeps come closer than would be possible irl.

 

4. I'm not a fan of pain culture, but when the torture is well written like yours, I see it more as an act of dark arts. It has an allure for sure (would not want to be in the receiving end).

 

5. Your writing style is so addictive to me! I can see myself begging on my knees for new chapters in no time... Make me happy, will you!

 

So, that's what came to my mind after first chappy. Than you Dark, the story didn't let me down! It gave me high hopes for the next chapters!

 

Ps. I think Kynan is gonna be a really intense lead. My favorite part of this chapter was when the prince of Darkness leaned close to Kynan and called him feisty - and beautiful. **sigh**

Link to comment
On 02/28/2011 12:37 PM, Marzipan said:
1. I think the Dreamscape brought Inception (the movie) in my mind in a good way! I felt I was in there with Kynan. I felt the walls coming down on me as the Dreamscape collapsed.

 

2. What a marvelous villain, so sexy, scary and appealing. Also the half uncle of our hero here... I wonder if the Prince Drakness stays a villain or is transformed by love.

 

3. I have a soft spot for warewolves... yes... I have read my share of those stories a while back **blushes** Your ware wolves, like Alan, are fascinating. What did you mean that in the Dreamscope he looked like a million dollar poster boy for a wolf (my choice of words), no matter what he looked in a reality. This brings me back to Dreamscope. It is like our online world side by side with our real world. We can make belief and play with images, truths, expectations and needs in online world. Also call out and make peeps come closer than would be possible irl.

 

4. I'm not a fan of pain culture, but when the torture is well written like yours, I see it more as an act of dark arts. It has an allure for sure (would not want to be in the receiving end).

 

5. Your writing style is so addictive to me! I can see myself begging on my knees for new chapters in no time... Make me happy, will you!

 

So, that's what came to my mind after first chappy. Than you Dark, the story didn't let me down! It gave me high hopes for the next chapters!

 

Ps. I think Kynan is gonna be a really intense lead. My favorite part of this chapter was when the prince of Darkness leaned close to Kynan and called him feisty - and beautiful. **sigh**

wow. when you review, you REALLY review! LOL. The dreamscape is partially Kynan's subconscious, and that's why things look a certain way. I think of it a little like the Matrix. Xeran is a sexy beast.
Link to comment

Okay, I officially hate you - now post faster :D

 

That was well done, not too much information at once, but enough to let us know what is happening and keep us interested for the next one.

 

Nice :) [Now post faster - clearly more is done - Nephy gave you away :D ]

Link to comment
On 03/01/2011 01:51 AM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
Okay, I officially hate you - now post faster :D

 

That was well done, not too much information at once, but enough to let us know what is happening and keep us interested for the next one.

 

Nice :) [Now post faster - clearly more is done - Nephy gave you away :D ]

:) mwahaha! You've been hooked! There's no escape now. Chapters to be released twice a week -- at least, that's the current plan.
Link to comment

I agree with Nephy in that the opening picture is amazing.

I agree with Marzipan in that I too was thinking of Inception (the movie) which I think is still a fresh idea in fiction and should be explored. You do it well here.

 

Kynan is a great character and this is a good read. I have some style questions and I'm going to post those in the story discussion rather than here.

Link to comment
On 03/01/2011 09:46 AM, Kavrik said:
I agree with Nephy in that the opening picture is amazing.

I agree with Marzipan in that I too was thinking of Inception (the movie) which I think is still a fresh idea in fiction and should be explored. You do it well here.

 

Kynan is a great character and this is a good read. I have some style questions and I'm going to post those in the story discussion rather than here.

It's funny but I haven't seen Inception... I wish I could take credit for that pic! Thanks for the style comments. I've taken them to heart and made some revisions. Feel free to send more as I continually strive to improve.
Link to comment

I just started reading but I'm hooked. I'm not a huge fan of this genre but this story is rather different. Going to read faster:)

Link to comment
On 08/23/2011 08:28 AM, Michael9344 said:
I just started reading but I'm hooked. I'm not a huge fan of this genre but this story is rather different. Going to read faster:)
Well, welcome to the genre. I hope it's worth your while. :)
Link to comment

So we start and learn about a few new concepts and realities in a new world.

Quite well written so far, a little more physical description of the characters might have been useful at this stage.

Link to comment
On 01/20/2014 09:32 AM, Tiggs said:
So we start and learn about a few new concepts and realities in a new world.

Quite well written so far, a little more physical description of the characters might have been useful at this stage.

Hey there, thanks for reading! I like to leave the characters' appearance open for interpretation. Let me know how you feel in a couple chapters. :P Glad you're enjoying yourself for the most part.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..