Jump to content
    David McLeod
  • Author
  • 1,260 Words
  • 3,390 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Nemesis - 2. Chapter 2: Retribution is Job One

Retribution is Job One

Nemesis

It didn’t take long to figure out what I was supposed to do. I hadn’t taken ten steps from the motel when I got my first job.

The motel was next to an abandoned shopping center. It was one of those places where Sprawl-Mart had built a store, attracted tenants in out-parcels, milked the place, and then shut down. A storefront church that preached prosperity theology—you know, “God wants you to be rich”—had given it a go. Their signs were still in the windows, covered with dust and fly shit. Trash, liquor bottles, beer cans, and used condoms littered the parking lot.

The only storefront still occupied was a bottom-feeder: a payday loan place. There was one car parked in front of it. I watched a car turn off the street and drive behind the strip of stores. Somebody’s gonna get a blow job, I thought. It was something I had seen often enough from the motel window. There was only one person visible in this car … already getting it, I thought. I was about to turn away when I felt pain and fear, and realized it was coming from the car.

I felt the pain and fear, and understood that meant I had a job to do, and it had something to do with that car. I started running. The chiton flapped in the breeze. The sword banged against my leg. I grabbed the sword with one hand, and tried to hold the chiton down with the other. The damn thing didn’t go more than an inch below my butt. Holding on with both hands slowed me, so I turned loose of the chiton. Screw it; I don’t care of someone sees my bare butt. Actually, I’d caught a look at it in the mirror while I was cleaning up the motel room. Okay, I had stared at it. It was a cute butt.

I had barely finished this thought when I rounded the corner and saw the car parked in the dubious privacy of a loading dock. The fear and pain were stronger. I saw the driver, and watched his hand rise and then fall swiftly. There was a burst of pain. He’s just hit someone. I complimented myself on my brilliance, and jerked the handle of the driver’s-side door. The door was locked; the handle came off in my hand.

Wow! Cool, I thought. Super-strength. While I was admiring my newly found ability, the driver, alerted by the sound of the door handle being ripped off, turned, saw me, and reached for the ignition switch. Without thinking, I pushed my hands through the glass of the window, grabbed his head, and pulled. I felt the bones of his neck break. I heard his last gasp. I felt his death.

I turned loose of the man, and looked farther into the car. Crouched on the floor was a boy, about my age. I mean, about the same as my new age. My new body, that is. His nose was bloody; his eyes were wide. He stared at me, and then fainted.

I heard a car door close. I hadn’t heard the second car. It was one of those boxy land-cruiser-jeep things. I ignored it.

I pressed the “unlock” button on the driver’s armrest, and then ran around the car and opened the passenger door. The boy nearly fell out, head first, but I grabbed him before he smashed onto the pavement. You’re still a fuck up! I thought as I laid the unconscious boy on the ground. By this time, the guy from the boxy car was right behind me.

“You’re bleeding,” he said.

I looked at the guy, and then at the kid. His face and shirt were covered with blood. “No shit,” I said. “He’s been beaten; he’s got a nosebleed.”

“Not him … his nose has stopped bleeding. You. Your arms are cut … ”

I looked, and realized I’d sliced open my hands and arms, up to the elbows, on the car window. Now that I knew it, it hurt! Another car door closed. I looked.

It was a black Mustang with heavy tint on all the windows. A real badass car. I knew instantly who it was. Even if I hadn’t read Anthony’s book, I would have known. It was Death. Come for the dead man’s soul.

The man from the Mustang walked up to me. “You know better than to kill indiscriminately …” he said, and then looked hard at me. “You’re not … you must be new. When?”

“Uh, about two hours ago, sir. I’m—”

“I know who you are,” he interrupted. “The Nemeses are the only ones who wear chitons and carry that particular sword. Two hours? And you’ve already killed someone?”

I got a little defensive. “There was a boy in the car, sir. He was being beaten. I … I felt him.” I don’t know why I kept calling him, sir. It seemed like a good idea, though.

I stepped aside as Death approached. He reached through the broken window and into the dead man’s chest … and pulled out his soul. It was solid, and it was black. Death looked at the soul, and then looked at me. “Okay, you messed up, but not too badly.”

He stuffed the soul into a satchel. He took a baggie of white powder out of the satchel, and threw it on the dead man’s lap. “Take care of the boy. And get some instruction!”

“You,” he said to the guy from the boxy car. “Help him.”

He went back to the Mustang and drove away.

 

Gary

I figured the man from the Mustang was a drug dealer. I watched him reach through the broken window, and into the man’s shirt and pull out something. He spoke to the boy, and then threw a baggie of what looked like cocaine into the car. I was sure, then, he was a cop, setting up the scene for an arrest. Mine, to be specific. Then he told me—ordered me—to help this kid, and drove off.

I was confused, but the boy in the toga was bleeding on me. He’d grabbed me to keep from falling, and was bleeding on my clothes. I was trying to keep him upright when he fainted. Taking care of him, and the boy he’d pulled from the car—that was my first priority. I’d worry about the guy from the Mustang, later.

I picked up the kid and put him in the back seat of my car; then did the same with the other boy.

I didn’t see the man from the payday loan place staring at my car as I drove away.

 

Nemesis

When I woke up, I was in the back seat of some guy’s car, leaning against the door. The boy I had rescued was leaning against me. We were driving through Chicago traffic. My arms hurt like Hell. Well, not quite that bad. I knew—I’d been there, remember? The guy saw me in his mirror.

“I’m guessing you two don’t want to go to a hospital, but you’ve got to be taken care of. I’m going to take you to my house. Hang in there … just a few more minutes.”

We reached a suburban neighborhood. He pulled into a driveway and punched a remote. The garage door opened.

“Can you walk?” he asked. When I nodded, he picked up the boy. “Come on … follow me.” I did.

Copyright © 2012 David McLeod; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Hmm, very interesting story so far, a very good read... I wonder what will happen, this story sort of caught me off guard when it started right off with the Nemesis boy. I like it, though, because it is unusual and I can't wait to see what will occur next, maybe a romance farther down the story or more on exactly what the man-now-Nemesis's job is. I have some quests from the story, though...

1.) What exactly is the Nemesis's job?

2.) Why did Death make the comments that it did?

3.) How do real, human people see the Nemesis?

Sorry that I am confused on your storyline, it was fabulous and I bet more excelled readers could understand it, but I am one of those readers who gets confused easily with stories like this! Thanks!! :)

 

Link to comment
On 03/12/2012 11:48 AM, MuddyRiverGirl said:
Hmm, very interesting story so far, a very good read... I wonder what will happen, this story sort of caught me off guard when it started right off with the Nemesis boy. I like it, though, because it is unusual and I can't wait to see what will occur next, maybe a romance farther down the story or more on exactly what the man-now-Nemesis's job is. I have some quests from the story, though...

1.) What exactly is the Nemesis's job?

2.) Why did Death make the comments that it did?

3.) How do real, human people see the Nemesis?

Sorry that I am confused on your storyline, it was fabulous and I bet more excelled readers could understand it, but I am one of those readers who gets confused easily with stories like this! Thanks!! :)

Please don't be sorry if my storyline is confusing. That's the author's fault; not the reader's.

 

I think that all your questions will be answered in the next few chapters. In short:

 

The Nemesis's (I'm really going to have to work on the plural and plural possessive) is to stop bad people from hurting innocent people and then to exact retribution on the bad people. They are limited in their power and in their number. They can't address every problem. In fact, only a small subset of the evil that exists in the world.

 

The relationship between Death, Nemesis, and Gary will take a while to develop. Clue: Gary was able to see Death and interact with him without Death electing to reveal himself to Gary.

 

The "avatars," including Death, Nemesis, and Dike are normally ignored by humans unless one of the avatars elects to interact with a human.

 

I hope this has been useful. If there are other questions, please let me know.

 

Thank you--and thank you for your kind words. I hope it continues to be a "very good read."

 

David

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..