Jump to content
    David McLeod
  • Author
  • 4,453 Words
  • 1,797 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Protector of Children - 14. Chapter 14: James and Leroy

Even with all the play-dates my parents arranged, I’d never had a sleepover. I had often wondered what it would be like to share a bed with another boy and whisper secrets in the dark.

Leroy

James stood as his father approached. I was only an instant behind him. The man opened his mouth. Before he could speak I put out my hand to be shaken and said, “Good afternoon, sir. I am Leroy Marlberg.”

The man had barely enough control not to snarl at me, and he ignored my hand and introduction, speaking only to his son.

“We are leaving. Now. Unless you wish to walk home, say goodbye and go to the porte coucèhre.”

Before the man could turn away, James took a deep breath. “I’ll walk, father.” Then he sat down, rather heavily.

What am I in the middle of? I thought.

James’s father didn’t hesitate, but turned and walked away. I sat, partly because my knees were shaking. “James? What just happened?” I asked. I looked into his eyes and said quietly, “And please don’t tell me you’re using me. I’m not sure I would like that.”

James face, which had been flushed, probably with anger, turned white, which I interpreted as fear. “You’re right. I was using you. How did you know?”

I didn’t answer him right away, but watched as James’s parents left their table. Neither looked back. I felt their—distain? Yes, I think that was the word I wanted. And I felt it not only for me, but also for their son. How did I know? What did Dike mean when she welcomed me to the ranks of the guardians and servants of humanity? Did she mean I was going to get powers like Nemeses and my father, and was that happening, or was I just guessing? The thoughts and feelings I had were too vague to be sure.

I turned to look at James. “You did give me some hints when you said you hoped you hadn’t angered your parents for nothing. You knew that they would become angry though.” I smiled, but it was a tight, narrow smile without humor. “I don’t think you knew how angry they would get.”

James stared at me. I watched tears gather in the corner of his eyes, and spill onto his cheeks. He wiped them away with a fingertip, breathed deeply, and seemed to take control of himself. Before he could say anything, Charles brought James’s lunch order to my table.

“What,” I asked before I could think, “is that?”

James laughed a short, choking kind of laugh. “My mother’s latest fad is gluten. I mean, she’s decided that she’s allergic to gluten, and so everything has to be gluten-free. It’s on top of being a vegetarian. That,” he pointed to his plate, “is . . . disgusting.”

I laughed in agreement, and caught Charles’s eye.

“Charles, would you please bring James the same thing I’m having?”

Charles nodded, and removed James’s plate.

“It will take a few minutes,” I said. “Even for the kitchen of the Jockey Club.” I pushed my plate into the center of the table between us. “Share? And then we’ll share yours when it comes?”

I almost melted with relief when James stuck his fork in the middle of my pasta Alfredo, and twirled up a bunch. I saw the looks of some of the other diners. James was facing the window, and didn’t see. I wasn’t sure I cared, and suspected that perhaps James would not have, either.

For the rest of the meal, James and I shared pasta Alfredo and the surface elements of our lives. I told him what schools I’d attended without explaining why there had been so many. He told me about the Greek School in which he’d been enrolled after pre-school at the 109th Street YMCA.

“They are the schools for the Chicago 100,” he said. “The waiting list for both of them is years long. People register their kids even before they’re conceived!”

He grinned, and added, “I think some people don’t conceive until they’ve secured a place at both schools.”

The dining room was nearly empty by the time we finished, and Daddy and another man were walking toward our table. James looked around when I stood, and must have recognized Mr. Field, because he stood, too. James didn’t say anything. I took a cue from that, and didn’t, either.

“Leroy?” Daddy said. “You remember Mr. Field. And I see you’ve found a new friend.”

“Yes sir,” I said, and returned Mr. Field’s handshake. “This is James . . . .” I realized I didn’t know his last name, and stuttered.

Mr. Field shook hands with James. “Of course, you’re the Bourbon’s son. Where are your parents?”

James went pale, again, and I was afraid I’d have to catch him before he passed out, but he found strength enough to reply.

“They’ve returned home, sir.”

“They abandoned him when he came to see me,” I said, and stepped to the other side of the table to support James, who looked like he was about to faint.

Mr. Field seemed flustered. “I . . . I don’t know . . .”

“John? I know someone who can resolve what we both see as a problem,” Daddy said. “I will accept responsibility.”

Mr. Field nodded. “Thank you, Ben, and thank you Leroy. I’m not entirely sure for what I am thanking you, but I suspect that in time, I will find that it’s my turn to pay the piper. Actually, I’m rather looking forward to that.” He turned and walked away.

“I think we need to leave,” Daddy said. “James? Can you come with us to my home? We can talk there, and perhaps you will allow me to introduce you to some people who can help.”

James nodded, and Daddy led us to the porte coucèhre where his unmarked police car, escorted by two plain, black SUVs filled with SWAT officers, waited.

Nomos

I was only a spirit, and not a god, but I had enough power to know that something was wrong. Not entirely bad or evil, but wrong. And I knew that Leroy was probably getting powers. So, when I sensed that he’d taken James under his wing, I arranged for us to take the boy home for a talk.

The story James told was familiar. I’d seen kids killed by their parents. I’d seen kids sexually abused by their parents. I’d seen kids simply thrown away by their parents. I’d seen kids smothered by “helicopter” parents—ones who “hovered” all the time. James fell into the smothered category. His life had been programmed from before birth: the right doctors, the right pre-pre-school and pre-school, the right play-dates, the right birthday parties at the Jockey Club, the right school, the right friends. From my perspective, it was as evil and wrong as the parents who fucked their own kids. At least, that’s how I felt after James finished talking.

“And, he’s never worn blue jeans or been to a pizza place,” Leroy added.

“Hmm,” I said. “It’s nearly five o’clock, and you two haven’t eaten in, what, three hours? Do you suppose you could restrain yourselves from eating the furniture if I agreed to take you to a Dave and Busters?”

“Not there,” Leroy said. “Too much noise, and we still have a lot to talk about. There’s this place—but I don’t want my old g . . . friends to see me.”

I nodded. “I can make sure no one who knows you is there.” James would probably think that would be a police thing. Leroy would know it was a god thing, but I didn’t think James was ready for that.

Leroy

The pizza place had been part of a national chain in the late 1960s, and still looked like it. There were two dining rooms, separated by the kitchen. On one side, adults could have beer; on the other side, soft drinks only. It was a relic of one of the many rules that came about because governments bowed to the Christian Fundamentalists who didn’t seem to think anyone should have fun.

We sat at a picnic table, dark with age and etched with generations of carved graffiti, while Daddy put in an order.

James seemed happy and looked really cute in a pair of my blue jeans and a pullover shirt. They were too big for him, and I wondered for a moment what he’d look like in some the right size—especially what his butt would look like. He kept running his hands over the rough cloth of the jeans, and grinning.

During supper, we talked a lot more about how James had grown up. Daddy’s cell phone rang, and he stepped to a corner to take the call. When he came back, his jaw was tight. I think I could see him grinding his teeth.

“That was your father, James. While you were changing clothes, I called to let him know you were safe and with us. He let me know not only did he not care, but also he didn’t want to see you again. I’m sorry. Perhaps in a few hours, perhaps by tomorrow, he will change his mind. You are a minor, and there are some legal hurdles to overcome even in that short a time. I’ve called for some help. They’ll be here, soon.”

Nemesis chose that moment to pop into the restaurant with an older guy and another kid about his age. James didn’t notice their sudden appearance, but his eyes widened significantly when Nemesis grabbed me for a hug and a kiss.

“This is my daddy,” Nemesis said. “His name is Gary. And our friend, Aiden. Aiden’s father is a judge, and he’s signed some papers for you, James. Oh, I’m Nemesis.”

Nemesis looked around the pizza parlor while Gary and Aiden, James and I shook hands and bumped fists, depending on age.

“This place is really cool!” Nemesis said. “Do we get pizza?”

“Ready and waiting,” my daddy interrupted, and brought two huge pizzas back from the window.

Aiden had some temporary custody papers that he gave to Daddy. “If Mr. Bourbon challenges these, we’ll have to deal with that post hoc,” Aiden said. “But we don’t expect him to do so. They do, however, provide a paper trail should we ever need one.”

James barely whispered when he asked, “You mean, if he never wants me back again?” I thought he was going to cry.

“Yes,” Aiden said. “But I hope it doesn’t come to that.”

I gave James a quick hug. “It’s going to be okay,” I whispered to him. “One way or the other, it’s going to be okay, in time.”

 

Gary and Daddy sat across a table from one another and shared a pitcher of beer with their pizza. We four boys managed to demolish one of the pizzas, part of Daddy and Gary’s, and another and were trying to figure out where to stuff one more when Daddy announced that it was time to go. I got another kiss from Nemesis. I was a little surprised when James accepted a hug from both Nemesis and Aiden. No kisses, though.

 

James

I wasn’t sure what all was happening, but it was a lot weird. Who were Gary and Nemesis, and Aiden? Why would they help? Why would a judge let his kid deliver important legal papers? Why was Nemesis kissing Leroy, and why didn’t Nemesis’ daddy seem bothered by it? Why was Leroy kissing Nemesis, and why didn’t Leroy’s daddy seem bothered by it? Would Leroy want to kiss me? Would that bother me? I sat in corner of the back seat of the police car during the ride back to Leroy and his daddy’s home, and wondered.

Captain Marlberg said good night, and disappeared down the hallway, leaving Leroy and me in the living room. Leroy looked at the corner of the room when he spoke.

“James? I have a really big bed, and extra pajamas. Would you like to sleep with me? You can have the guest room if you like, but it’s an awfully lonesome place . . . .”

It took me one indrawn breath to accept. “I’ve never had a sleepover, before. I’ve wondered what it would be like to share a bed with another boy and whisper secrets in the dark. Yes, I would like that.”

Leroy

I took pajamas to the bathroom to change. James had put on pajamas by the time I returned, then went to brush his teeth. I was in bed, propped on a pillow, when he returned. He hesitated for only an instant before climbing into the other side of the bed. I switched off the light.

“Leroy?” James whispered.

“You don’t have to whisper,” I said.

“But I want to!” James said.

My heart stopped for an instant before I could say, “Then you’re going to have to come closer.”

The memory-foam mattress didn’t move but the covers rustled. I felt the heat of James’s body and the touch of his breath on my face. “Is this close enough?” He giggled.

“Yes,” I whispered. “What do you want to talk about?” We had pretty much covered our lives, at least in as much detail as you’d tell someone you just met.

“What’s going to happen to me,” James said.

“James, I don’t know. But I do know that—” I was about to say Nomos. “Daddy and his friends are powerful people. Daddy has to operate inside the law; not all of his friends do.”

“You mean, like the Mafia?”

I giggled. “No, much more powerful. And, they do what is right, even though it’s not always what is legal.”

“Leroy? Have you ever had sex? I mean, you’re older than me, right?”

I thought about the four nights I’d spent with my daddy since he and Nemesis had rescued me, and how wonderful they’d been. I thought of how gentle he’d been, and how much love there was in the sex.

“Yes . . . .”

“All my dates are chaperoned,” James said. “The girls are all picked out by my mother. And I don’t like any of them.”

I could hardly say it, but I had to. I didn’t want to mislead James and I didn’t want to frighten him, but I had to say it.

“James, I don’t date girls. I’m gay.”

“I kind of figured that out when you and Nemesis kissed,” James said. “Is he your boyfriend?”

“No. I mean, not that way. We’re friends, I think, even though I’ve only known him for a little while, and we’re both gay and I guess if I asked him, he would have sex with me. I know if he asked me, I would. I don’t really have a boyfriend,” I said. What Daddy and I had wasn’t a boyfriend thing; it was much bigger. I knew that it would be okay for me to have boyfriends, too.

“Will you be my boyfriend?” James asked. I felt the yearning in his voice, and knew it wasn’t really for me, but for what I represented: a boy comfortable in his sexuality, but also a convenient—foil? I wasn’t sure.

“James, I was angry that you were using me until I heard all your story and Daddy told us that your father didn’t want to see you. I forgave you, then. However, I’m not ready to be your boyfriend. I will try to be your friend, if you will try to be mine.”

“That’s so unfair!”

“James, it’s not unfair. It’s the way it has to be. You’ve never had a boyfriend before. I don’t think you’ve ever had a friend. I’ve never had a friend, either. I want you to be the first one. After we’re friends, we can talk about being boyfriends.”

James was quiet for a long time. I felt him grappling with what I’d said, and then starting to cry. I also felt that his tears were tears of relief because he’d reached a cusp, a turning point, and beyond it, saw hope. I pulled him into a hug and felt his sobs. After a few minutes, his arms wrapped around me, and we fell asleep.

 

Nomos

Gary and I had talked about more than baseball while we shared pizza and a pitcher of beer. We talked about the boys—Leroy and James, specifically. I knew who Gary was, of course, and knew that since he had taken an interest in both boys, they would receive some impressive protection and help.

“James is a monkey-wrench, then,” Gary said. “He’s gay. He’s never had sex and he’s become attached to Leroy. At first, because he saw Leroy as a tool to defy his parents. Then, because he saw Leroy’s strength of character. Now, he sees Leroy as physically attractive. But, he’s also frightened of his own sexuality. He thinks that admitting that to his parents would create a point of no return.”

I barked a tense laugh. “That’s not what I wanted to hear, but you do break down things to the basics,” I said. “What do you think I should do?”

“I’m not sure I should be giving you advice,” Gary said. “You’ve been at this god business a lot longer than I.”

“Yes, but at heart, I’m just a cop. And I’ve never had a son, before.” I thought for a minute. “I’ve never had anyone I really cared about, before.”

Gary touched my hand briefly and I felt reassurance. “Having a son is the most wonderful thing in the world,” he said. “This one or any other. You already know that. It can be the most frightening thing in the world, too. Knowing that your son trusts you absolutely, knowing his unconditional love, knowing that he will take himself into danger where you cannot protect him. It can be overwhelming.”

“I understand,” I said. “For the moment, can we focus on James?”

“If I were you, Ben, I’d leave Leroy and James alone to decide their sleeping arrangements tonight. Leroy is smart and perceptive. I would trust him to do the right thing.”

James

I woke up still in Leroy’s arms. I was stiff. I don’t think we’d moved the entire night. He was looking at me from only inches away. “Morning, sleepyhead,” he whispered.

I screwed up my courage, and pecked a kiss on his cheek. “Morning, my friend-to-be,” I said. “Thank you for last night.”

Leroy’s dad, who said to call him Ben when we were at home, had already gone to work. Today was Monday, and I was supposed to be in school, but Ben had left a note that he would ensure I was excused for the rest of the week, or until things were settled. Leroy was rooting through the refrigerator, putting breakfast together.

“What about your school?” I asked Leroy.

“I don’t go to school. I don’t have to worry about truant officers.”

“Your daddy’s a police captain, the second ranking cop in Chicago? Of course you don’t have to worry about truant officers!”

“James!” Leroy was upset. “Think before you speak. The reason I don’t have to worry about truant officers is that I have a high school diploma. And Daddy’s the most honest cop in Chicago, in the world in fact. He would never use his influence—”

“James? Are you crying?” he asked.

“I’m sorry,” I said. “I’m such an idiot!” Then I felt Leroy’s arms around me.

Leroy

“I’m sorry, James,” I whispered. “I shouldn’t have lectured you. It’s the way I had to treat my g . . . my old friends.” I had to strike them down the instant they showed any spunk, initiative, or sign that they might challenge me. James isn’t like them, and I’ve got to treat him differently. I hope I haven’t messed up too badly. James answered my unspoken question.

“Do we get hugs every time somebody says they’re sorry?” he asked.

“I hope that’s not the only time,” I said. “ ’Cause I hope we don’t have to say that too often. But, yes. That’s a good reason for hugs.”

Daddy had left an envelope for me. It was full of cash and a note that said to take James for some clothes that fit him, and would we meet him for supper at an Italian restaurant, with Gary and Nemesis. The note closed with a post script: And make sure James’s jeans aren’t too big for him! I wondered if Daddy knew that I was looking forward to seeing what James’s butt looked like in the right size clothes.

 

Nomos

I knew about the restaurant owned by Gary’s former Army buddy, but figured that after kicking the guy’s father out of the Jockey Club, and having him arrested, it wouldn’t be the best place for us to meet. Gary wanted Italian, so I named another place that didn’t have Mafia connections, and he agreed.

We had been seated when Leroy and James came in. Nemesis jumped up to greet them and led them to the table. James looked different, somehow, and it wasn’t just the clothes. He looked happy. Part of what I saw came from my reading of him, but there were a lot fewer worry lines on his forehead and around his eyes. His face was relaxed, and I interpreted that as happy.

“Thank you, sir, for the clothes. Leroy said I should wear these, rather than jeans, tonight.”

He was wearing cargo pants, very high quality and not the baggy stuff many of the kids wore. They were a little tight below the waist, and I wondered what he’d look like if I could see him from the back.

Dynamite! Leroy thought, in response to my unspoken question.

Leroy? I sent.

Yes, Daddy, Dike said it would happen, and it is. It’s hard, though, and I’m not sure Gary and Nemesis can follow us.

“Hi, Gary and Nemesis, and thank you, Daddy for letting me dress James.”

 

James

After supper, and a ride home in Ben’s police car, Leroy and I went to his room. This time, he didn’t go into the bathroom to change, but undressed in front of me, and put on his pajamas. I wasn’t sure if I were ready to do that, and turned my back before sliding off my briefs and pulling up the pajama pants. After Leroy turned off the light, though, it was like last night, except that he scooted close to me so we could whisper. I started it.

“Leroy? Who are Gary and Nemesis, really? I mean, I know that Gary Walters runs the Erewhon Orphanage—he’s spoken at the Club, before. But how did he and Nemesis get to the pizza place just a few minutes after Ben called? And how did we get from Field’s to the restaurant in less than five minutes? I know we didn’t walk that far. And how did Aiden get those papers so fast and why would Judge Smith give them to Aiden, anyway? Yes, I know who he is. He’s in the Jockey Club, of course.”

Leroy hugged me, but instead of answering my questions, he started talking about himself.

“A week ago, I was the leader of a gang of black kids. We didn’t do much except beat up little kids and steal their lunch money. I wanted more. I wanted to get into a drug ring that was operating out of my mother’s church. But all the dealers were older and tougher. I figured if my gang got some street credit, we might get in with them.

“There were these two kids. I’d picked on one of them for a couple of years. This year, the older one made the littler one his friend, and protected him. We could have beaten them both, but it just wasn’t worth the trouble. Since the older one had made me look bad in front of my gang, I decided to kill him and the littler one. It would tell the older gangs we were to be taken seriously, and would help my status with my own gang.

“We’d taken the two boys into an alley and were cutting them. I was cutting them, anyway, when a kid with a sword appeared and chased us away. Scared me, too. I got reinforcements and went back. There was a man with the kid, now, and the two kids I’d cut? They weren’t hurt at all.”

I must have said something, because Leroy stopped talking, and hugged me.

“I know this is hard to believe, but think about how it was for me.”

He continued. “The kid turned into a fifteen-foot tall ancient warrior with a sword at least six feet long. We ran. We turned tail and ran.

“The next day, the police raided the apartment building where the gang and I lived. They did a lineup, but had to release us. That afternoon, Daddy and Nemesis appeared in my bedroom, only he wasn’t Daddy, then. He was an old-fashioned London policeman.

“Nemesis looked into my mind—and my soul—and then showed me what real evil looked like. He asked me what I wanted, and I knew I had only two choices: keep living the way I was and end up in Hell, or become what ever it was Nemesis was, and help stop some of the evil he’d shown me. I chose to help.

“Daddy said he would take responsibility for me, and took me home with him. He took me for his son, even though I’m legally an adult.”

I felt that there was more Leroy wasn’t saying, but he’d said so much, I didn’t press. “Just a few days later, you found me, and took responsibility for me,” I said. “So, who are your Daddy, Gary, Nemesis, and Aiden?”

“Nemesis is the god of Retribution. He works mostly independently, but his boss is a Superior Court Judge who is Dike, the goddess of Justice. Gary is a god, too. He’s the Protector of Children, and is very powerful. Aiden is the Patron of Lawyers, and mostly works for Dike even though his powers came from Athena. Daddy is the Spirit of Law. His god-name is Nomos.”

“Gods?” I whispered. I was afraid.

Leroy

I felt James’s fear, and knew I’d gone too fast. I wasn’t sure how to go slow, however, so I just hugged him and said, “Yeah, gods. And think about how I felt when two of them just appeared in my bedroom, and one of them showed me the evil in my heart, and worse evil in the world. At least you got to hear it in bed with someone hugging you!”

James giggled, and I figured he was going to be okay. “You can tell me more, tomorrow,” he said. His breathing slowed, and he was asleep. Yes, I thought, he’s going to be okay.

Even with all the play-dates my parents arranged, I’d never had a sleepover. I had often wondered what it would be like to share a bed with another boy and whisper secrets in the dark.
Copyright © 2013 David McLeod; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..