Jump to content
    David McLeod
  • Author
  • 4,201 Words
  • 2,199 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Sword of the MacLachlan - 8. Theron in Arcadia (An Interlude)

Francis embraced his father, and then stood in the stirrup and swung onto his horse. The horse had been cooped up in the stable most of the winter, and was skittish. Francis, however, was a good horseman. His firm hands on the reins and his gentle voice stilled the animal. Beside Francis, his companion Ben awkwardly embraced his father, and mounted his own horse. Ben watched as Francis’s father took Ben’s father aside and spoke to him. When Ben’s father turned to look at his son, there was an unmistakable look of pride in his eyes. What did the Commander say to Father? Ben wondered.

Two soldiers walked from their barracks toward the party. Between them was a boy. He was dressed in plain clothes without the army tabard that Ben and Francis wore. The boy’s outer garment was a travel cloak. Its hood had been thrown back behind his head, and the boy’s fine brown hair blew in the breeze. The boy’s hands were clasped in front of him. His wrists had been tied together.

One of the boy’s escorts pushed him toward Francis. “He’s yours, now, Decurion. He wouldn’t eat breakfast. That’s his horse, over there. Need anything else?”

Francis started at the use of his new rank. He’d been confirmed Decurion only yesterday, and was still unaccustomed to it.

“Uh, yes. I mean, no. Nothing more. Thank you, Silvanus, Mario.”

The two legionnaires nodded politely, and then turned and walked away.

Frances dismounted and stood facing Theron. He looked at the boy, and at his bonds. Francis frowned. Speaking quietly for the boy’s ears alone, he said, “Theron, my name is Francis. Patrick has told me that your oath could be trusted. It would be dangerous for you to ride with your hands tied. If I cut your bonds, will you swear not to run away and not to harm any of us during our journey?”

The boy looked up at the tween. His expression was wary and his eyes were hooded. Francis could read nothing in the boy’s expression. “If you are Francis, you know what I am,” Theron said. “Why would you care about me?”

Francis paused. He did not want to give either a false or a simple answer. “Because,” he said, “I promised my commander—who is also my father—to take you safely to Arcadia and give you into the custody of friends, there. Because Patrick asked me to treat you kindly, and I promised him that I would. Because I know that Darryn, who is my friend, has forgiven you. Neither Patrick nor my father told me how to treat you or how to get you safely to Arcadia. They both expect me to be responsible and intelligent enough to make those decisions. I have decided that your safety would best be served if your hands were free. I believe that if you give your promise, you will keep it.”

Francis paused and thought. “That’s all, I think.”

Theron held out his hands. “I swear I will not run away. I swear I will not harm you…or your companions. I…I…just…uh, thank you.”

Francis cut the boy’s bonds. Ben rode toward them, holding the reins of a third horse. He held the reins out to the boy.

Theron’s eyes widened. He looked frightened. “I…I…” he stuttered. “I’ve never ridden a horse,” he managed to get out.

“Idiot!” Francis exclaimed. “Me, not you,” he added quickly, seeing the look in Theron’s face. “I never thought to ask. My father would have my hide for this.”

Francis held out his arm. “Come on, Theron, you will ride with me. In front…put your foot there. That’s good. This way you can see how I control the horse. We can’t stop to teach you, so you’ll just have to learn as we go.”

Ben retrieved the reins of the spare horse, and followed Francis and Theron toward the gate.

Two soldiers, both men, were waiting inside the city gate. They were couriers who carried the Royal Mail. Francis knew them, although they were not part of his father’s garrison. “Ho, Egan! Ho, Wilton! I hope we’ve not kept you waiting. This is Ben, and this is Theron.”

“Ho, Francis!” returned one.

“Ho, Decurion!” the other called. “We’re ready to leave, at your command.”

Again Francis started. These men…they’ve taken this route hundreds of times. They know the road, the dangers. I don’t even know the way! What supplies might we need? Are we well enough armed? Equipped? But he’s right. I have the rank; I am in command. And…father would not have let me go too ill prepared!

“Legionnaire Egan,” he addressed the older of the two men. “Do we need aught of supplies or equipment before departing?”

The seasoned warrior looked closely at the boys and their horses. “You’ve bedrolls, travel cloaks. Do you have trail supplies?”

Francis nodded.

“If all goes well, you won’t need them. We stay at certain inns and farms. The bursar gave me our per diem.” Egan paused.

“I have ours,” Francis said in answer to Egan’s unspoken question. “Is there any reason you could not tell me what else I need to know about the route as we ride?”

“None,” Egan answered.

“Then, let’s be off,” Francis directed. “Wilton, Ben, will you ride in front? Egan, beside me, please.”

“It’s a good tenday to Arcadia, riding hard,” Egan said. “We can get a few extra days per diem, if we need it. We’d better not need it too often if we want to keep this assignment. As I said, Wilton and I stay at the same places all the time, unless the weather turns on us and messes up the schedule. We know places to set up at night if that happens.” They passed through the gate. Wilton flicked the reins and then clucked to his horse, which began to trot. The others followed suit.

Egan spoke a little louder over the beat of the horses’ hooves. “We’ll trot for a while, and then walk the horses. There’s watering places, too, we use all the time. Road follows the river most of the way. Couple of places it doesn’t, we know streams. Plenty of water in spring and fall. Sometimes we have to crack ice in winter. Until last year, there was always water in the summer, too. Last summer was hot, dry. Couple of times streams were dry and we nearly ran out of water. This summer we’ll carry more. Slows us down, but it can’t be helped.”

Theron’s shaking fear stopped as he sat in the safety of Francis’ saddle. The tween kept one arm around the boy, and the other hand on the reins. Quietly, slowly, he explained to Theron how to ride and control the horse.

After the first watering stop, Ben took Theron on his horse. Francis rode the spare horse, leading his own by the reins behind him. He took the lead, with Egan. Choosing his words carefully, he addressed the legionnaire. “Egan, you know my rank is new. You also have more knowledge and experience than I have. I cannot command…I cannot lead this mission without your knowledge and on your experience.”

Egan thought for a moment before answering. “If everything goes well, you’d have no problem commanding or leading. It’s when things don’t go well that your mettle will be tested. I will give you my loyalty, and will answer any question fully, but I cannot volunteer too much information without undermining your authority,” the legionnaire said. And undermining your growth and training, he thought. I told the boy’s father the same thing. I told him I couldn’t take care of himas if he were a child. It’s a credit to the boy’s father that he not only understood, but also thanked me.

The party made good time, and arrived at the first way station at dusk. The way station was an inn at a crossroads.

As they led the horses to the stable behind the inn, Egan hesitated, and drew Francis aside. “Decurion? A moment, please,” Egan asked. “Tomorrow and the next are the two longest days. In order to reach the next two way stations before dark, we usually leave at first light, and that means getting up with the potboy,” he explained to Francis. “Will that be suitable?”

“Yes,” Francis replied. “Will you tell them to wake us?”

Egan agreed, and added, “How’s the boy doing? Will he be able to hold up?”

“He’s not going to be able to ride alone for a while,” Francis said, “but the horses are sturdy and we can continue to ride double. As for Theron, I don’t know. What do you think?”

“The boy’s tougher than he looks, but he’s also been through a lot. We heard the story: attempted murder, imprisonment, his master publically executed. That has to make a mark, especially on someone that young. That look in his eyes…I’ve seen it in young soldiers after their first battle. Sometimes it’s as if they’re looking all the way across World without seeing anything. The boy looks like that, sometimes. He needs someone to talk to, someone he can be close to.”

Francis thought for a moment. “He’s my prisoner. I don’t know about getting close to him.”

When Egan said nothing, Francis added, “That was a question, Egan. What might I do?”

“He’s a boy, and you’re a boy. So is Ben. You and Ben aren’t going to be celibate for this whole trip, are you?”

Francis shook his head.

“Your, uh, prisoner’s going to know that; and, he’s going to know that the two of you are companions. Still, it would be odd if you didn’t offer to share…especially since he’s probably too scared to ask you.”

“But…with a prisoner?”

“He’s a boy, Francis…Decurion,” Egan said. Something, the tone of his voice, perhaps the look on his face, told Francis that Egan would have nothing further to say on the subject.

Francis nodded. “Thank you, Egan. I…I’ll have to think a bit.”

Do your thinking when you have the luxury of time, Egan thought. Develop understanding that will serve you when you don’t have time to think.

Ben was showing Theron how to tend the horses; Egan and Wilton had finished, and were walking across the yard toward the back door of the inn. Francis stood apart, watching Ben and Theron, and thinking. He’s my prisoner, but he’s a boy. One that has recently suffered. I’m charged with safely delivering him to Arcadia, and with treating him kindly. He has been forgiven of his crimes. There. Those are the facts. What are the assumptions? First, that a guard cannot form a relationship with a prisoner—no friendship, no sex. That’s a rule. But, does it apply here?

Second, Theron would be hurt if he doesn’t share boy magic during this trip. Well, perhaps not physically. Francis reflected on the time, years ago, when he and Ben had tried to go without sex. It was a test of will, a challenge, a bet: who could go longer. Ben had won, too, Francis thought. After less than a ten-day. He’s never teased me about losing, either. It’s funny. Ben is so much stronger than I am in so many ways, yet he seems to depend on me for so much. I’ll have to think about that, later. But now, I need to think about Theron.

Francis carefully thought through the problem, taking one branch after another until he’d built a tree of possibilities. The correct answer didn’t jump out, nor did it glow with some mystic light. However, Francis knew he’d made the right decision.

“Aren’t you two about finished?” he asked. “We’ve got to be up early tomorrow morning. That means an early supper and an early bed time.”

There was no opportunity to speak to Ben in private. The boys dropped their saddlebags in their room, and walked toward the bath. I hope Ben understands, Francis thought.

“Theron, may I wash you?” Francis asked as the boys undressed.

Francis thought he saw a flicker in the boy’s eyes. If it were there, it was quickly quenched. “Uh, no. I’ll get clean—” Theron said.

Francis glanced at Ben, and saw Ben’s wink. It was Ben’s way of saying, Whatever you think best.

“Not clean enough to share our bed,” Francis said. “That is, if you will share our bed. Will you, Theron? Will you share our bed and yourself?”

Theron’s head snapped up, and he looked hard at Francis, and then Ben. What he saw must have reassured him. Softly he padded over to the shower and stood next to Francis. Ben pulled the rope to deluge them with warm water, and the two tweens began washing the boy.

Theron was still brushing his teeth. Francis nudged Ben. “Hey,” he whispered. “Is it right to share with Theron? I mean, remember what they said about cadre when we first joined the army?”

“What,” Ben said, “about not having sex with people in power over you, or subordinate to you? That didn’t seem to affect us, Decurion.”

“No, not before. But I’m afraid of the day that it might…the day I might have to decide who to send into danger, or who to reward…we’re going to have to deal with that, someday, you know. But now…Theron. I have to deal with him, today.”

“You told your father that you’d deliver Theron safely, didn’t you?” Ben asked.

“You know I did,” Francis answered.

“If he goes feral because he can’t share, or because he has no one to talk to, you’d have failed, right?”

“That’s sort of what I thought, Ben,” Francis said. “I’m glad you see it, too.”

Ben hugged Francis tightly. “I’m glad you’re glad.”

*****

Francis encouraged the two older legionnaires to set the pace, but was surprised when Egan signaled for a stop. “It’s been less than an hour since the last stop. We should press on. You said today was another long day,” he began.

Egan said nothing, but raised his eyebrow. Francis caught himself. “There’s a reason for this stop…why?”

“Next stretch of road is dangerous,” Egan said. “Forest grows close to the road and there are lots of places for ambush. If we’re going to be attacked, it’ll be there. We always rest the horses, check girths and shoes, and check our weapons and armor.”

“Fine,” Francis said. “What might we do about Theron? He has no armor.” All four legionnaires were wearing chain shirts under their tabards, leather armor strapped to arms and legs, and leather helmets with metal rims, and metal bands crossing from front to back and side to side.

“This isn’t the time to put him on a horse by himself. Riding in front as he has been, he’d handicap a swordsman. I’d put him in back of the weakest soldier and tell him to hold on tight.”

“He has no armor,” Francis protested. “He’d be no safer than a cony in a cage.”

“That’s true,” Egan replied. “What’s the greater risk, then?”

Francis thought, and then nodded at the older legionnaire. “You’re right, of course.”

“Not of course, Francis,” the man said.

Francis started to hear the legionnaire use his name, rather than his rank as he had been meticulously doing. I understand, Francis thought. Not because he’s right; not because he’s more experienced; but because I’ve thought it through.

The attack came shortly after mid-day. Egan and Ben, with Theron behind him, rode in the vaward. Francis and Wilton rode in the rear. Egan turned his head briefly. “Two riders approaching from the front. We’ll pass them just about at that defile—between the two rocks? The one filled with brush.”

“If I were going to ambush someone, that’s where I’d do it,” Wilton said. He slowed his horse to match the slower pace Egan had set. The point at which the two parties would meet would now be short of the defile by a dozen or two yards.

The brigands—for that’s what they were—were prepared for this move. To have slowed down would have given their plan away; the two riders sped up slightly so that they passed the defile and would be behind Francis’ party when that group reached the defile. “Either way, we’re sandwiched in,” Wilton said.

Egan continued riding, and Francis was happy to follow the more experienced man’s lead. More experienced? More like I’m completely inexperienced! Francis thought.

The attack came as Wilton had predicted. Just as the party reached the defile, two men ran out from each side. They held poniards in one hand, and grabbed for the reins of the horses with the other. Legionnaires were trained for this event. In anticipation, they’d already transferred the reins to their left hands. They drew their swords, and then pulled the reins high above their heads with their left hands. Ben and Francis, riding on the right, had the easier task: their swords swept down the right side of their horses—toward the brigands.

Ben was a little slow, and although he struck his attacker, the brigand was able to grab the reins. The horse spun around. Theron cried out as he lost his grip and fell onto the verge. Francis lifted his sword and struck a second blow. The brigand who had selected Francis as his target fell, mortally wounded. Instantly, Francis leapt from his horse and ran to Theron. “Lie still!” Francis ordered, and stood over the boy, his sword at the ready.

Ben struck awkwardly across his horse’s back at the brigand who had lost his grip on the reins as the horse turned. Ben’s sword caught the man just below the ear, and a second brigand fell. This one was dead before his body came to rest on the cobbles of the road.

Ben spurred his horse, and rode to the rear where the two older legionnaires, having dealt with the brigands who had attacked on foot, were facing greater resistance from the two mounted men. Ben rode to the left of the melee, charging one of the brigands. The boy’s long arm extended, and his sword struck the man on the arm. The brigand’s sword dropped to the ground as Wilton skewered him. There was a grunt as Egan’s sword found the throat of the final attacker.

*****

“Egan?” Francis began. “Did I do the right thing?”

“You mean getting off your horse to protect the boy?” the legionnaire asked.

“Yes. I mean, I was unable to help you and the others…and if one of the mounted men had gotten past you, I’d have been more vulnerable. I just don’t know—”

“It would have been a difficult decision even for a more experienced soldier to make,” Egan began. “Especially since you haven’t fought with Wilton and me, before, and didn’t know our capabilities. I never second-guess decisions made in the heat of battle. If you live, they were the right decisions. If the decision was wrong, you’re dead and it doesn’t matter.” He paused. “You and Ben…you’ve not fought a real battle before, have you?”

“No,” Francis said, abashedly.

Egan smiled. “You did well, Decurion. Your father will be proud.”

 

“Thank you for saving my life,” Theron said quietly to Francis as he helped the older boy settle his horse in the inn’s stable. “I was so afraid…” The boy’s lip began to quiver, and Francis saw tears welling up in his eyes.

Francis put down the curry comb, and reached for Theron. Pulling the boy into an embrace, he said, “Theron, please don’t cry. You have been through so much. But you are getting stronger and stronger each day. Now,” he said, releasing the boy, “wipe your tears and stand up straight. Think to yourself, I’m strong.

“But, but…” Theron sputtered.

“No buts, Theron,” Francis said, gently. “You must stand on your own. And you can.”

Unknown to Francis, Egan was still in the stable; he smiled at what he had heard.

 

“Ben, I’m going to Egan’s room. Tell Theron we’re discussing…uh…supplies for the rest of the trip. And Ben,” Francis said, “please…share with him…and wear him out so that he’s asleep when I get back. I’ll explain later.”

*****

The guards at the Western Gate of the City of Arcadia knew Egan and Wilton well; their party entered the city to good-natured greetings as well as a couple of ribald invitations. Ben blushed at one of the invitations made to Wilton. Theron, riding behind Ben, saw the older boy’s ears redden, and giggled.

“It’s not like we didn’t do that last night, Ben,” Theron whispered. Francis unspoken plan had worked. Theron had become attached to Ben, loosening the bonds—however imaginary and however misplaced—the boy had tried to form with Francis. The bonds with Ben were healthy, Francis thought. He and Ben have only the customary bonds of boys who share their magic. There’s none of the dependency that Theron was attaching to me. We’ll be able to part with him with no untoward attachments. That will leave him free to form new bonds.

When they reached the central garrison, Wilton took the mail while Egan led the boys to the Commander’s office. A messenger was dispatched, and within minutes Centurion Merkle appeared. Francis gave the officer the letter from his father. After Merkle read the letter, he looked at Theron. “I understand you’re quite an extraordinary boy, Theron,” he said. “I’m going to take you to meet an extraordinary man. I think you and he will find a lot in common.”

Turning to Frances, he added, “I know your father only by reputation; I will send a message that you have discharged your duties. He writes that you will be attending school in Arcadia?”

“Yes, centurion. We have letters to Master Edo,” Francis replied.

“But you’re still in the army, aren’t you?”

“Yes, centurion, but detached for the schooling.”

“Hmm. I understand. Unusual, but…You need to keep your ties to the army, and make friends among the soldiers here. When you have enrolled with Master Edo, send me word. I will talk with him about integrating your schooling with some duties…oh, not onerous, and only within the city. It’s something your father suggested, actually.” He offered Francis the letter.

At the school, David Brighton read the letters aloud for Master Edo. Patrick and Alan! They’re in…they were in…Forest Green. They must be doing well. I wonder how they are. May I tell the others? I must ask Master Edo.

Edo faced the two boys. He elected to meet them on the practice court at the center of the school. “You come well recommended. But you must tell me why you want to be here—not why two former students think you should be here. Francis, come with me.” He took that boy aside. “Well?”

“Master Edo, my father is a soldier. He has trained me as far as his ability will let him. I want to be a soldier. I thought, before we left home, that I merely wanted to come here, perhaps to learn some skills that I could not get in Forest Green. If I had told you that, you would have been correct to reject my application.

“However, on the road here—we traveled with the Royal Post—we were attacked by brigands. Several things came out of that battle. First, I killed someone. I’d never done that, before. Second, I was in danger of losing my life. I’d never been there, before. Third, I risked my life to protect a prisoner who was in my charge. I realized that I was ill equipped for the task. The battle was won by the superior skill and experience of the two legionnaires with whom we traveled, and by Ben’s bravery. Why do I want to be here? Because I want to be the best possible soldier that I can be.”

“Wait here,” Edo said. He walked back to where Ben had been left standing. “Well?”

“Master Edo, there are two reasons I want to be here. First, I am Francis’s companion. I will never be as good a soldier as he, but I want always to be with him. Second, on our way to Arcadia, we were attacked. I faltered, and a brigand grabbed the reins of my horse. Our prisoner—the boy in our charge—fell off the horse and could have been killed.

“Francis dismounted and stood over Theron—that’s the boy’s name—and protected him. All I could think was that one of the mounted men would run down Francis and Theron. I couldn’t let that happen, so I charged them. I killed one and hastened the death of another. I know that’s a long way of saying it, but I want to be here so that I can learn everything there is to know to protect Francis…and never fail my duty.”

“Ben, I cannot do what you want,” Edo said.

“What?” Ben’s face was stricken with grief.

“Oh, I will accept you and Francis as students, but you must understand that I cannot teach you enough that you will never fail.”

Copyright © 2011 David McLeod; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..