Jump to content
    D.K. Daniels
  • Author
  • 1,090 Words
  • 1,825 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A World Between - 2. Letter 2 (Revised)

p style="text-align:center;">

 

I have written many adventure, drama and romance books with LGBTQI+ characters. Visit my website to browse my full bibliography. You can also sign up for my mailing list to ensure you don't miss any fun future updates. Be sure to subscribe, I give away free stuff, limited printed editions of my novels and more.

  

My Website:

www.dk-daniels.com

  

My social media and newest books.

  

Social & Newest Reads:

https://linktr.ee/dkdaniels

 

A World Between

D.K. Daniels

Dear Ryan, I am sorry I haven't written in over a week. The new school term has proven to be quite demanding. I didn't expect to be run off my feet, but this is almost unlike any year we have experienced yet. The teachers are friendly enough, but I prefer our old tutors, they were badass. Still, I have to say there is this Science teacher called Mr. Donoghue and for some unknown reason I think you would have found a new friend in him; he’s funny and quick with sarcastic one-liners. I could imagine the two of you battling against each other in a duel of wits, and that would naturally lead to your detention or expulsion somehow. Though personally, as for how I'd see it, Mr. Donoghue is too laid back to give a shit.

There are a couple of people from our previous year in my class. I'm not sure what class you would have been in or what teachers you would have had, but I'm sure they would have liked you if they had only gotten the chance to meet you. I don’t know why that felt so natural to say, but I thought it is something you should know. I know you don’t like beating around the bush, so that’s why I just got straight to it.

I saw Megan on Wednesday in the corridor; she was changing books from her bag and into her locker. I decided I'd try and talk to her for us both more than anything. I have been feeling a little lonely the past couple of days, so I decided I'd ask how she was doing. I swear dude, I was not hitting on her or anything; I know you had your eyes on her since like forever, but she seemed a little lonely there on her own. So anyway, I braced myself and then walked up to her confident like, and when she saw me, she stopped doing what she was doing. She appeared to be shocked to see me, and I have no idea why. I think she felt odd talking to me. She flustered about, giving me one-word responses for the most part. It was like I wasn't there or something if you get me from the way she was talking to me. She just… Ugh… I don't know. She didn't seem the same. It was like she was rushing so that she could run off and be with the cool kids again. I hope I was never weird or anything, but then again come to think of it, I had an odd best friend, so I guess it is inevitable to rub off on me somehow.

When I approached her, I said "hey."

To which she replied, "oh, hey Jake…" and trailed off.

I think I caught her off guard because she didn't exactly know what to say when I came around to talk to her. I felt a little out of place from the get-go, from the first reply. It felt like there was something in the air, but since I started a conversation, I couldn't exactly back out and leave it. It would have been rude, and weird, I guess.

For some reason, I asked her, "how was your summer?”

To which she said, "it was okay, I guess."

Except, for some reason with regular conversation role-playing, I forgot that It was customary for someone to ask back if you ask the question of how are you. She asked how my summer went, and I didn't exactly know how to respond. Yeah, I could have said my summer was great, but she'd know, and I guess me and you would both know that summer wasn't great. In fact, I think everyone knows what happened this summer. I'm not sure if you know what happened, but I hope wherever you are, you are, I guess… alright. I don't mean to be mushy and shit man, but…. I… SIGH. Never mind, it's another topic for another discussion.

You won't believe where I am right now. I'm at Barleycove. The sea is so calm today; it's a little windy, but you'd have loved the view. The way the sun is setting is like legit goose bumps or picture-worthy. I know you would have taken advantage of the setting sun as a backdrop for your notorious selfies. I remember two summers ago we took a small hike up here and we sat by the bridge eating an entire packet of Orio’s. You'd be gurgling down your Sunkist Orange and I'd be downing a can of Big Red. Those were the days, right? I miss them, and well, I hope you remember them if you can. They were the best days of my life, the ones I spent with you. I don't think I would have known, or done half of the things I have done in the past if it weren't for your enthusiasm.

All the fun memories we have together are because of you, or the majority are in your favour, of course. When I was walking to get here, I had to cut across the beach parking lot, and when I was starting the steep climb up into the hillside, a gull came out of nowhere and frightened me, I could have had a heart attack. I could have died there and then… I'm sorry I wrote that… it's not funny at all. Sigh… It's just the seagull reminded me of when that bird took half of your hot dog from your hands one day down by the boardwalk. I remember you got so annoyed over it and I just kept smiling and laughing about it. You bitched on about how the bastard swooped in uninvited for ages.

Yeah, maybe I should go. I'm sorry I said that, kay? I hope you can forgive me; I didn't mean It. I'm so stupid for phrasing it that way.

Anyway, I should probably start for home; I feel weird now. It's a long enough walk, and I've been gone longer than I should have been. I only stepped out to go to the store for Mom. Instead, I took some writing paper and a pencil. I guess it felt somewhat natural, writing to you from places where we've hung out. It makes me feel like; I don't know… home, for some odd reason. I’m not sure what it is, but even so, it makes me feel sad-happy.

Anyway, night man,

Jake

p style="text-align:center;"> Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed this tale. Drop me an email to let me know via my reader contact email: danny2017writing@outlook.com. You can help me by rating this story via Goodreads. Link below. The story is part of a collection called We Are Here. Doing this enables my stories to reach a larger audience and improves my rankings. Don’t forget also to visit my website and sign up for my mailing list. You can also view some of my older works by clicking on my pen name via the authors tab.

   

My Website:

www.dk-daniels.com

   

Follow me on social media, and peruse my newest books.

   

Social & Newest Reads:

https://linktr.ee/dkdaniels

This short story has a song dedicated to it as a soundtrack. I urge you to check out the song, which is called - Better Look Me In The Eyes by Dan Romer

 

Copyright © 2018 D.K. Daniels; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

12 hours ago, Crazyd1965 said:

Omg this so sad. Waiting on next chapter.

Thank you @Crazyd1965, I am thrilled that you are becoming emotionally attached to the story. I was a little emotional also after I finished writing this story. The next chapter should go live around 3 pm Greenwich Time. Please stick around for me :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I'm so on the brink of crying right now.  Its such an emotionally charged story.  I'm glad I don't have to wait for updates,  but I can just imagine that the tear-factor probably isn't even close to being maxed out yet.  Good job so far.  Now where did I put those damn Kleenex? 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Potterslashfan said:

I'm so on the brink of crying right now.  Its such an emotionally charged story.  I'm glad I don't have to wait for updates,  but I can just imagine that the tear-factor probably isn't even close to being maxed out yet.  Good job so far.  Now where did I put those damn Kleenex? 

Thank you very much @Potterslashfan ; I am grateful that you have commented, and above all that the story has resulted in an emotional response on your behalf. It is a charged story for sure; I think I was determined to tell the sadness a loss brings. Of course, a loss is devastating for most people, but most kids don't talk about it; its usually buttered up by adults. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..